• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

399 is premium in today's market though, man

$399 is a barrier that shouldnt be crossed if you dont have a cheaper product as a safety net. The Xbox One S is Microsofts safety net, if $449 or $499 is too expensive for someone, they can get the $249 Xbox One S bundles.

It's the reason why they have $499 Xbox One S bundles right now, they dont care because the barrier of entry to Xbox One is $249.

You wont see Halo 6 before E3. And sadly with 343s approach in announcing games it wont be ingame/inengine stuff...
E3 would be 1.5 years before launch so it would be a bit early for gameplay. Well, it's a bit early in general, but since we'll most likely get another end of year beta it's not overly egregious to tease it at E3. Probably will get a narrative teaser, some hints at what direction multiplayer is going, a beta date, and a general (marketing verbiage heavy) discussion of what Scorpio will add.

But yeah, probably nothing for now until E3. Odds are just a "Halo 6 will support Scorpio" with very little details.

$399 is a barrier that shouldnt be crossed if you dont have a cheaper product as a safety net. The Xbox One S is Microsofts safety net, if $449 or $499 is too expensive for someone, they can get the $249 Xbox One S bundles.

It's the reason why they have $499 Xbox One S bundles right now, they dont care because the barrier of entry to Xbox One is $249.
They've got a lot riding on this. They'll want to get this thing in as many homes as possible. That means 399 tops.

FelipeMGM

If they are really talking about specs and the console now, showing FM7 is a very smart move. We all know its happening, so they might as well show it now, and it would be a killer graphical showcase.

Digital Foundry has often said scorpio isn't capable of 4k or low balled the power and what Ms has said it's capable of doing. So is Ms deliberately doing this with DF to impress them or prove them wrong?

When they said this? I only recall their reports on Ms documents where it was said that even a 900p xbone game could be made 4k on scorpio, which was above the expectations.

UraMallas

The tweet about him saying he doesn't know what day of the week it is...come on.

I mean. If it's just a DF specs video with comparisons to the Xbox One, it's probably already filmed and is just going through editing and whatnot. So, knowing the video and reveal exists and not knowing the exact day of the week they will post it isn't really that weird.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If they are really talking about specs and the console now, showing FM7 is a very smart move. We all know its happening, so they might as weel show it now, and it would be a killer graphical showcase.

Revealing Forza 7 also could mean they're acutely aware that the core gamer finds the standard announcements of Gears/Halo/Forza groan worthy, so maybe have it on DF and have better stuff at E3?

Also, racing games are almost always used to show off consoles.

Lucifon

Fully expecting this to just be the announcement of when the reveal event is. Can only be 1-2 months away at this point which is pretty exciting.

If Microsoft makes a stupid decision with the price it will impact you since that will determine how many people buy it and ultimately how well it is supported in terms of content. Greater than $399 is suicide no matter how technically superior it is to the PS4 Pro.

It all depends on what their projections are.

I don't think they intend to market this to everyone. They've stated as much along with saying that it will be a premium console.

I don't think your worries will be an issue.

Exactly.

If they are really talking about specs and the console now, showing FM7 is a very smart move. We all know its happening, so they might as weel show it now, and it would be a killer graphical showcase.

I would be surprised if it looks any better than GT Sport, if at all. (Pro version)

I expect a small improvement over F6 and then native 4K 60fps on Scorpio. Hope they surprise me though!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
They've got a lot riding on this. They'll want to get this thing in as many homes as possible. That means 399 tops.

No.

They've specifically said multiple times that their intention isn't to get this in every home. Just like multiple other people have pointed out this is a premium version of the Xbox One, and they are pitching it as that. One S will continue to be the affordable entry point.

EmiPrime

ArkhamFantasy gets it. There will be pricier models and bundles with more storage, games, maybe an elite controller etc. that will have better margins for Microsoft but there absolutely will be a $400 SKU on launch. Microsoft have been extremely price competitive ever since they ditched Kinect, they don't mind losing a bit of money on the entry level SKU if need be as they'll make it back quickly on XBL subs, DLC and games purchases.

gogojira

Well, I've got an extra PS4 to trade in since buying my Pro and I'll swap out my OG XB1, too. They don't have to do much to sell me, just give me a few amazing looking console games and prove third parties are gonna flex that hardware.

Fredrik

Waited on seeing the Scorpio before I chose which midgenerational console I wanted to upgrade to
This is me too, I've not been impressed by PS4 Pro so far so I'm on the fence on the upgrade idea until I see if Scorpio is a bigger upgrade. A smaller PS4 Pro with a UHD drive might sway me toward the Pro anyway though.

atr0cious

Yep.

They'll go higher with bigger hard drives and maybe an SSD limited edition in other SKUs. Base will be $399 without a doubt.

500GB - $399
1TB - $479
500GB SSD and Elite 2.0 Controller - $699
There's no way retail even has this kind of space. They're not gonna put 3 incremental skus out when the switch is coming in hot and the pspro will be cheaper then ever. I agree it's not in their best interests to go above $400, but $499 would be brand suicide, especially with the play anywhere initiative.

m23

Revealing Forza 7 also could mean they're acutely aware that the core gamer finds the standard announcements of Gears/Halo/Forza groan worthy, so maybe have it on DF and have better stuff at E3?

Also, racing games are almost always used to show off consoles.

Forza will still be at e3, even if they announce it earlier.

Hype just went up by a lot with the possibility of Forza 7 being shown.

No.

They've specifically said multiple times that their intention isn't to get this in every home. Just like multiple other people have pointed out this is a premium version of the Xbox One, and they are pitching it as that. One S will continue to be the affordable entry point.
How not? :/ And what it has to do to the premium price?
Higher than 399 is market suicide.

This may be the XB1S 4K edition, but it's not a niche product, or at least, Microsoft won't want it to be.

This is me too, I've not been impressed by PS4 Pro so far so I'm on the fence on the upgrade idea until I see if Scorpio is a bigger upgrade. A smaller PS4 Pro with a UHD drive might sway me toward the Pro anyway though.

I don't think Sony will include a UHD until PS5. It'll give people more incentive to upgrade when it releases.

There's no way retail even has this kind of space. They're not gonna put 3 incremental skus out when the switch is coming in hot and the pspro will be cheaper then ever. I agree it's not in their best interests to go above $400, but $499 would be brand suicide, especially with the play anywhere initiative.

They have a $499 Xbox One S bundle right now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014PZTAME/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Its a superior product to the $249 bundle, so they priced it accordingly.

EmiPrime

Retail doesn't need to stock the most expensive SKUs, those can be online only once the launch rush is over. Xbox One, Xbox One + Kinect and Xbox One Elite co-existed for a while and there are a ton of different Xbox One S bundles right now.

massucci

Banned
Higher than 399 is market suicide.

This may be the XB1S 4K edition, but it's not a niche product, or at least, Microsoft won't want it to be.
MS said exactly the opposite of your thought, to be fair. It's exactly a niche product for the hardcore games.:/

AESplusF

I'm really eager to see how it's marketed, they seem to be emphasizing the power aspect, but without exclusives to take full advantage of that power, I'm not sure how much that will really matter.

Fully expecting a Pro-style console.

MS said exactly the opposite of your thought, to be fair. It's exactly a niche product for the hardcore games.:/

Phil also said about it not being an unnatural price or something, I don't really consider $500 to be the sort of price you aim for, didn't exactly work out well for them with the XB1

jez.c

Neo Member
To clarify for all of you beautiful people.

A major outlet visited Microsoft this week to take a look at Scorpio and its specs, using Forza Motorsport 7 as a showcase.

I've had the information about FM7 being a 4K "showcase" for a while, but it wasn't until a friend of a friend of a friend of a writer at this particular outlet (no prizes for guessing who) leaked the big reveal to me that I considered it confirmed. It made previous information I had make more sense, combined with info I got from what's happening with the Forza guys, etc. Expect a deluge of coverage next week.

The fact MS is showing off Forza and Scorpio now potentially bodes well for E3, hopefully they're going to give us a better idea of what their games line-up will look like in 2018 and beyond, but they're prob going to be cautious with how far out they go, due to the whole Scalebound thing. I think they're aware of the narrative surrounding how their line-up looks like compared to Sony's.

We generally have good info on Microsoft's internal happenings from years and years covering Windows, Surface, Lumia (RIP) and whatnot, as tech press rather than games press.

Cheers

m23

I'm really eager to see how it's marketed, they seem to be emphasizing the power aspect, but without exclusives to take full advantage of that power, I'm not sure how much that will really matter.

Fully expecting a Pro-style console.

It is a pro style console though. What are people really expecting?

A major outlet visited Microsoft this week to take a look at Scorpio and its specs, using Forza Motorsport 7 as a showcase.

I've had the information about FM7 being a 4K "showcase" for a while, but it wasn't until a friend of a friend of a friend of a writer at this particular outlet (no prizes for guessing who) leaked the big reveal to me that I considered it confirmed. It made previous information I had make more sense, combined with info I got from what's happening with the Forza guys, etc. Expect a deluge of coverage next week.

The fact MS is showing off Forza and Scorpio now potentially bodes well for E3, hopefully they're going to give us a better idea of what their games line-up will look like in 2018 and beyond, but they're prob going to be cautious with how far out they go, due to the whole Scalebound thing. I think they're aware of the narrative surrounding how their line-up looks like compared to Sony's.

We generally have good info on Microsoft's internal happenings from years and years covering Windows, Surface, Lumia (RIP) and whatnot, as tech press rather than games press.

Cheers

Nice one!

atr0cious

They have a $499 Xbox One S bundle right now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014PZTAME/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Its a superior product to the $249 bundle, so they priced it accordingly.
Yes, and the xbone is selling like hot cakes right? And that's a bundle with a $150 controller and TB hdd. I don't see the market reacting to a $500 base xbone when their own consumers are saying horse power isn't everything. Of course this will get their already deep in the ecosystem buyers to upgrade, but if it's more than $399, it might as well be an online only purchase to save them space on store shelves.

Wedzi

Banned

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to clear some things up Jez. Looking forward to you guys getting hands on soon enough.

Cheers

When Phil Spencer handed you the envelope under the bridge in the park that you met at did he lean over and whisper "Scorpio" into your ear as you slid the package out of his generous grasp?

Cheers

Looking forward to it. I skipped Forza 6 but I think I'll jump back in with 7. Hopefully we'll get a new lighting engine.

Smokey

I mean. If it's just a DF specs video with comparisons to the Xbox One, it's probably already filmed and is just going through editing and whatnot. So, knowing the video and reveal exists and not knowing the exact day of the week they will post it isn't really that weird.

No I took it as him being like 'you guys should totally believe this out of left field Scorpio news on April 1st. I don't even know that it's April 1st guys!'

Cheers

Well nvm!

massucci

Banned
Phil also said about it not being an unnatural price or something, I don't really consider $500 to be the sort of price you aim for, didn't exactly work out well for them with the XB1
Phil said it will not cost like an high end pc. Honestly the bandwidth at 320 GB and 399 price point seems not that feasible to me.
450$ is perfect price if it has zen
How? Zen cost at minimum 300 bucks on pc...

Outrun

Whether it is Sony, Nintendo, or MS, new hardware reveals are always so exciting.

I hope that Jez is right about this. It is almost impossible not to be hyped :)

AESplusF

It is a pro style console though. What are people really expecting?

Idk, but I keep seeing people say that generations are over, that there will never be a PS5 or XB2, I just think that's total bullshit, these pro consoles are not implying that.

You got that budget AND enough for your hefty Ramen consumption man?!! :)

Well, I manage to save a good bit here and there, especially since after Jiraiya Sensei died and is no longer spending my money on chasing women. And since becoming Hokage I don't have to pay for Ramen anymore, leaving me plenty of money to buy Project Scorpio. Life is good.

Top Bottom