• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Seems like lots of folks are surprised at the level of power airlines have under the law. It is very friendly to them. No-so-much to flyers.

Unfortunately, most people don't care about airline regulations until the moment where it impacts their travel plans. It seems like it takes a certain level of public outrage to effect change, such as when the massive delays a few years back led into the discussions around the "Traveler's Bill of Rights" back in 2012. Even that died due to lack of action.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s3302/text

I have also never seen someone asked to leave a plane after boarding it. Seems to me that someone issued this man a boarding pass and let them on the plane. Once I'm seated? GTFO.

It's not common, but it happens. I've seen it happen more than once on trans-con flights.

But I didn't sign up to be part of an algorithm that assumes 10% of us will be late because you aren't on time from your previous flight. I intend to make it to my final destination, and have a ticket that you sold me that gets me a seat that will get me there.

If your algorithm breaks you need to keep offering more money until the plane isn't full. Or, you need to make it very clear WHO is last in line and sell me a cheaper ticket. "This ticket is half off, but you are first to be bumped. If you are bumped, we'll give you a hotel and put you on a guaranteed flight the next morning"

It needs to be clear what is happening because travel is a real pain in the ass already, and having the potential to have a ticket you pay money for not be honored by the people who sold it to you is fucking insane.

The following statement is included with every airline ticket sold in the US:

NOTICE—OVERBOOKING OF FLIGHTS

Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for compensation of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, including failure to comply with the carrier's check-in deadline (carrier shall insert either ‘‘of l minutes prior to each flight segment'' or ‘‘(which are available upon request from the air carrier)'' here), persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and each airline's boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations. Some airlines do not apply these consumer protections to travel from some foreign countries, although other consumer protections may be available. Check with your airline or your travel agent

That warning is mandated by Federal law since airlines are allowed to overbook. You can hate the practice of overbooking, but no one who buys a ticket can claim they weren't given notice of it unless the airline didn't follow the law.

Yeah it is a bad policy based on making more $ as a certain amount of people don't make a flight typically so they try to sell those seats twice.

Seats aren't sold twice. Even non-refundable tickets have value that can be reused on a later flight. It's not like if you miss a flight, the ticket value just disappears. If overbooking were prohibited by law though, that is exactly what would happen. You miss a flight and that's it. You end up buying a new ticket at full cost.

No, actually they stopped at offering an $800 voucher. And that was after initially offering $400. They could have offered more before forcing people to take their $800 offer. That's called unequal bargaining.

Invol bumps would be getting more than the offer of $800 airline credit. They would be getting cash/check compensation.

I've never experienced any transportation-company overbooking tickets. That shit can't be legal in EU?

All of you playing devil's advocate for United, fuck off. They shouldn't overbook, and if they have to to stay afloat, offer ridiculous sums of money to the volunteers, or send the employees by bus.

Overbooking is 100% legal in both the US and the EU. The issue is in how much passengers pay attention to it. Disclosures are required on all US tickets, but most passengers ignore the disclosure because it's always there.

This paper (from 2004) is a good summary of why overbooking happens and the advantages it provides to the market as whole, but also in how it could do better, especially around mandated compensation.

http://www.nyulawreview.org/sites/default/files/pdf/NYULawReview-79-5-Blanchard.pdf

Overbooking provides tangible benefits to passengers, allowing increased flexibility in reservation policies and decreased overall costs. As always, these benefits come at a price: decreased reliability of performance and inadequate compensation for those bumped. The federal regulations governing these problems have failed to provide passengers with either adequate compensation or predictable performance due to fundamental gaps in passenger information. Furthermore, by under-compensating bumped passengers, these regulations encourage airlines to overbook, penalizing those airlines which choose not to overbook and those passengers with a high value on performance. While the system functions the majority of the time, federal regulations allow a shift in the cost of overbooking from airlines to passengers and from airlines with a high propensity to overbook to those with a low propensity to do so. Eliminating the federal caps on compensation would allow airlines to maintain current overbooking practices, while preventing them from under-compensating bumped passengers and denying a competitive advantage to those airlines that overbook aggressively.

For passengers who choose to exploit the system, the rewards can be great, but for those who are unaware, the system can be frustrating and seem useless.

Just like credit card churners, there are folks who will purposefully book flights that are likely to be oversold in order to get bumped. Most will go for voluntary bumps because the payout is guaranteed. There is no way to guarantee that you get selected for invol, and if you're a frequent flyer, you'll likely get passed over for an invol (oddly enough, if you are a FF and you volunteer, you usually go to the top of the volunteer list).

During the holidays it is possible to get multiple bumps in the same day and walk away with a solid stack of airline credit and/or free flights.

I don't get the posts that talk about the legality of it. We get it. It's completely legal. That doesn't mean that it's okay. They could have figured out a better way to make this work (more money, chartering are things I've seen here and yeah, would work) but they instead chose to be assholes and now they have a huge nightmare on their hands. I've seen this story everywhere today and they eff'd up.

Anyways, my main question is this: can the guy actually get money from United out of this via court? What are the legal arguments he could use here?

It is difficult to see what legal argument could be made against United here. At most, there would be the possibility of damages for not making the flight, but that is contractually capped at $1350. He could argue that the cap is not fair, but United would likely counter with the fact that the cap is aligned with invol cash payouts as well as argue that every passenger is offered travel insurance and he chose not to purchase it.

United would likely also argue that the overbooking/oversold warning is included with every ticket as a legal requirement, so there is no way that he could claim to not know that overbooking was a potential, if exceedingly small, risk.

I suspect he would have a better claim against the police officers for excessive force, but that has the issue of going up against the police department.

Now, if he could show that he was selected due to his race or ethnicity or sexuality or another protected class, then he would have a slam-dunk of a case, but that's not likely unless the gate agent didn't follow procedure and made the call on who to bump themselves. As long as it was run through the computer, which ranks passengers into groups based on status and fare type, and then selects from the lowest ranked group, any potential discrimination claim is likely to fail.

Don't kid yourself. This is not something that is unique to United. All US and European airlines do this. It is perfectly legal under the law. Until the law changes, overbooking and bumping will continue to happen. We don't often see cases of invol bumping highlighted because it is 1) rare relative to the number of successful flights and 2) most people who get a check are thrilled to get bonus cash, but it happens every week of every month.

Why would anyone take voluntary you say? Well, it's guaranteed compensation. Waiting till it's random and you have a very small chance of getting selected.

Getting picked as an invol bump is very unlikely.

For reference:
https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/...ansportation_statistics/html/table_01_64.html

In 2016 0.09% of all air passengers in the US were bumped. In real numbers that is 552,000 people.

Of that, 46,000 were invol bumps. That works out to 0.007% of passengers were invol.

What I don't get is that wouldn't it have been overall cheaper for United Airlines to just buy tickets for their employees for another flight, even from another airline? What is so important about these employees in particular that they had to leave on this specific flight?

It was most likely a rest issue thing. If they don't get the mandated legal rest period, then they're not allowed to crew the next flight and it's as if they were never there in the first place.

Gotta remember, while a lot of people are regular flies, there are probably way more who only end up taking a trip every couple of years. You could give me $2000 in airline miles and I wouldn't really have anything to do with them. Maybe fly a friend out to visit or something. But then I'd be making my friend suffer through flying with United, so that's almost cruel.

If it was $800 cash so I could go have a few drinks at the airport bar before going to my hotel for the night, that's a totally different story. Airline miles aren't going to pay me for missing a day of work because you bumped me. They won't cover my car payments or my rent. (I mean I guess you could buy tickets for friends and have them reimburse you for a lower amount to be a nice person or something, but that's about it.)

You only get flight credit if you take a voluntary bump.

Invol is cold hard cash.

Sorry, just because you put something in T&C's or a contract doesn't mean it will hold up or mean anything in a court.

We also need to remember that corporations put things in the "small print" that are not legally sound. Just cause it's in there doesn't mean they have the right.

There's also a legal principle called adhesion contracts. That's where these terms and conditions are presented as "take it or leave it" to the other party, in this case, the passengers. Courts do not always uphold these contracts, because there is inequality in bargaining between the parties. And honestly, I think the U.S. legal system should do more to discourage them and provide better rights to the party that had no ability to negotiate.

In the current situation, by contrast, the passenger paid for a flight to his destination and United didn't fulfill its obligation when they removed him with force from his seat prior to takeoff. If it says in the terms and conditions that this is something that could happen, then those terms and conditions are not fair and should not be there.

Denied boarding language on the ticket is not written by United's lawyers. It is language that is mandated by law.

You can't just dismiss it as unfair T&C or a feature of a contract of adhesion.

Courts tend to follow the law and a notice that is dictated by law will be given a great deal of deference by the court system.

Federal law doesn't allow an airline to be arbitrary and capricious with how it selects passengers to be physically removed from a plane so that airline employees can have a seat.

If this passenger had walked off and then given them hell, he would have got jack shit. Nobody talks about it in the news, and he gets what's federally mandated and not a red cent more. Instead, he now has a huge legal settlement awaiting him for United's sloppy conduct.

United wasn't "arbitrary and capricious" in how it selected who to bump. It has a defined process in how passengers are selected. He would have to show that United didn't follow that process in how it selected people, which is unlikely since that is done by a computer program.

If anything, he might have a claim against the police officers that responded, but that's not an easy point to litigate.

More accurately, he has a PR victory against United right now. It is difficult to see how he would have a legal claim against United that would result in a "huge legal settlement."

If you volontary forfeit your seat for compensation, you per definition renegociate your contract with the agreement of both parties.
So yes Of Course the issue is that this person DIDN'T agree to it, which means that by forcibly removing him, the airline unilaterally changed the contract; which in case you don't know, they don't have any right to do.

That's why it is invol. The airline has the legal right to do so. It is rare, but it happens.

lol was this you:
"Rules set down by the U.S. Department of Transportation allow for airline customers to receive up to $1300 if they voluntarily give up their seats, but the world's largest airline has been bumping people off their flights by force.
The DOT has now publicly reprimanded the airline for the second time in four years, and ordered the company to pay a penalty of $750,000 for not compensating passengers.
"

Apparently they can't.

Read more: http://www.*****************/news/a...fine-buy-iPads-train-staff.html#ixzz4dse9Rr3d
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Delta was fined for mis-classifying invol passenger bumps as voluntary. It wasn't fined for bumping.

The accuracy in reporting (and why airlines always push for voluntary) is because they want to keep their invol numbers as close to zero as possible.

I don't know but if they went through all this trouble, then it was a pilot or flight attendant who had to be in Louisville in order not to cancel a different flight and inconvenience all those people.

This is the most likely situation. Another crew probably went long for some reason and wouldn't meet rest requirements. Or someone called in sick. So the replacement crew needed to be moved into place.

What about randomly selecting people until someone says yes? Even although legally they are compensated within the "involuntary bumping" bracket, because yes, $800 compensation is for "involuntary" per government flight regulations. Because they say yes does that then mean they are volunteering?

You get paid the higher price when it's involuntary (that is legally mandated by law), so what exactly are the two people who left prior to this man? Are they volunteers, are they involuntarily bumped, or are they now able to go after legal action for a breach of contract? To me, even although they agreed, they were involuntarily bumped (no one took the lower offer by choice, everyone waited till random selection started). My belief is the airline is able to ask for both volunteers, and then involuntarily select people at random even in the cabin.

If you are ordered off as an invol, you are entitled to the cash/check compensation as defined by law. That is not considered volunteering.

If you don't believe that the cash/check offer covers your damages, you can file in small claims for more, though most airline contracts limit their liability at a certain amount. Past that is where travel insurance comes into play.

What if the plane is in the sky? At that point can they pick random names, turn the plane around and drop them off? Or do they just stop at the nearest airport.

Once the plane in in-flight, the flight crew has more legal power, not less. If you make a scene in-flight, or refuse to follow a flight attendant's orders, the pilot has the legal authority to stop at the nearest airport and have you removed.

Someone with knowledge of an airport, once they do involuntary at the gate, do you have to accept or can you say no and they move onto the next random selection?

You can pass on voluntary. If you are selected for invol, you don't get to say "no." That's the whole point of invol.

So what is the literal point where they can stop asking for volunteers to leave?

An airline can stop asking for volunteers at any point and switch to involuntary. Typically though they will ask for volunteers up until the point where the required cash comp for invol is being approached.

Can someone confirm that the $800 is actually in cash?

I believe they offer the money in United $. So you would get $800 redeemable against future United flights, right?

I've never seen it offered as cash, it's ALWAYS as credit to the airline.

Voluntary denied boarding = Airline credit / free flights / free upgrades. You can negotiate the hell out of this if you want to.

Involuntary denied boarding = Cash or check, on-the-spot. Defined by law. No negotiation. Only done after attempts at volunteers fail.

From what you've said it's as I thought, boarding is still classed as when you're sitting on the seat, and not just at the gate?

US Transportation Code defines boarding as ending when the doors to the plane are shut.

Once the outer doors have been closed, boarding is over and the plane is legally an "aircraft in flight" even if it is still on the ground. The plane is still considered "in flight" when it lands, up until the moment when the doors open again.

These are important distinctions under the law.

Malvolio

What is it about this story that people are so interested in?

It's freaking everywhere!

Corporate overlords that have the authority to order government enforcers to beat civilians into submission.

This is the future of the USA. This video is like time traveling.

Audioboxer

US Transportation Code defines boarding as ending when the doors to the plane are shut.

Once the outer doors have been closed, boarding is over and the plane is legally an "aircraft in flight" even if it is still on the ground. The plane is still considered "in flight" when it lands, up until the moment when the doors open again.

Holy batman, big post! Can you link to anything that says that? I've been pulling my hair out all night trying to solve this goose chase I started myself. Other points you made to me I've either been schooled on by others, or found myself. I now know being picked means "not having a choice", as in it can be forced legally, but I will still stand-by for the airline's sake during this mess on the plane they should just have gone to another passenger when this passenger did not want to comply.

I guess if that is true they can state "denied boarding" is any time up until the doors close? Not just boarding ends after the gates.

I also know you're unlikely to get picked for involuntary, the odds are so low. Chances are in most cases people will snap up the voluntary rewards as it will only ever be a handful of seats at a time (some people will fly on a later flight just to get to go in 1st class!).

When airline employees named four customers who had to leave the plane, three of them did so. The fourth person refused to move, and police were called, United spokesman Charlie Hobart said.

https://apnews.com/ae81a66dbc124acbad52e3cf8de9617d

He was the last person, just accept his word of being a doctor and move on and ask someone else!

milkham

The initial video was removed from r/videos because they have a policy against videos showing police using force. surprise surprise one of the mods is a cop.

they left the one of the bleeding passenger returning onto the plane up though.

jabuseika

Holy shit, literally every link on the front page of videos is related to United Airlines right now, lmao

Yy3xwl2.png

17060c09cd9eaafbfb82834293a84c91--funny-humor-funny-gifs.jpg

Flo_Evans

For what it's worth that is because you can buy open tickets that allow travel to your destination with flexibility. Only being valid for this flight just counters that. You cannot get on another aeroplane or leave at any time you want.

Bumping happens on EasyJet as well

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/at-the-airport/oversales

The debate is boarding still includes the plane. In the situation that I'm wrong are you simply saying it is not allowed once seated?

How are airlines able to do it without having been taken to the cleaners before now?

My mom was a gate agent many years ago, from asking her the plane is not officially "boarded" until the door is closed. Flight attendant will confirm all passengers are seated and door is closed then you take off.

Edit : beaten quite well by Syriel.

Corporate America ladies and gentleman. Get ready for more of this shit with a pro corporate regime in Washington and in the supreme court. Good thing they bailed the airlines out on our dime though.

Audioboxer

My mom was a gate agent many years ago, from asking her the plane is not officially "boarded" until the door is closed. Flight attendant will confirm all passengers are seated and door is closed then you take off.

It's not that I don't believe you or the other poster who clearly knows their stuff, it's just about seeing if it is listed on a Gov based site. It would explain why "denied boarding" would extend into butts in seats as the door isn't closed.

To be honest, though, you would expect all of this sorted way before being in the cabin. I never denied that, but that the airlines must somehow be covered to still do bumping in the cabin given its been going on. The poster above has made it doubly clear that this is involuntary bumping, even if the passengers get off the aeroplane like 3 of them did. Your acceptance to get off is not translated into voluntary. You were picked and "didn't have a choice".

coklat

Neo Member

I've seen passengers denied boarding even after doors are closed and the aircraft has pushed back from the gate. Crew did additional math and figured out there was a necessary weight restriction so they had to go back to the gate and deplane people. (They deplaned nonrevs and standbys, avoiding a DB situation.) You're not really 100% certain you're on the flight until it's in the air!

FUME5

I can only imagine you are typing this with a "Rage Against The Machine" song playing in the background.

If you are asked by security to leave a fucking airplane, stand up like a big boy and leave the fucking airplane. It's not the lunch counter in Greensboro.

A grown man doesn't throw a tantrum over a god damn seat in a plane.

Jesus. Are you just spending your days screaming at cashiers that shortchange you a buck?

Damn, you are the false equivalency minister.

Holy batman, big post! Can you link to anything that says that? I've been pulling my hair out all night trying to solve this goose chase I started myself. Other points you made to me I've either been schooled on by others, or found myself. I now know being picked means "not having a choice", as in it can be forced legally, but I will still stand-by for the airline's sake during this mess on the plane they should just have gone to another passenger when this passenger did not want to comply.

I guess if that is true they can state "denied boarding" is any time up until the doors close? Not just boarding ends after the gates.

I also know you're unlikely to get picked for involuntary, the odds are so low. Chances are in most cases people will snap up the voluntary rewards as it will only ever be a handful of seats at a time (some people will fly on a later flight just to get to go in 1st class!).

https://apnews.com/ae81a66dbc124acbad52e3cf8de9617d

He was the last person, just accept his word of being a doctor and move on and ask someone else!

14 CFR Chapter 2 is generally the federal law which concerns commercial flights. They refer to boarding also as "enplaning" versus "deplaning".

14 CFR Part 217 and 14 CFR Part 241 define an "enplaned passenger" as a passenger who boards a plane at any particular airport.

49 CFR Part 1510 also defines "passenger enplanement" as "a person boarding in the United States in scheduled or nonscheduled service on aircraft in intrastate, interstate, or foreign air transportation".

14 CFR Part 158 defines it as essentially the same.

Under federal law, this passenger would be considered "boarded" or "enplaned".

It is true that the plane is considered "in flight" when the doors are closed, but this has nothing to do with whether the passenger was already "boarded" or not.

I've seen passengers denied boarding even after doors are closed and the aircraft has pushed back from the gate. Crew did additional math and figured out there was a necessary weight restriction so they had to go back to the gate and deplane people. (They deplaned nonrevs and standbys, avoiding a DB situation.) You're not really 100% certain you're on the flight until it's in the air!

This is a bit different than what we are talking about though. Airlines have virtually an absolute power to remove passengers if it's due to safety reasons. A weight restriction would be a safety matter.

Here the debate about boarding and "denied boarding" has more to do with the contractual aspects.

But again like I said, I bet to the FAA or DOT, United will "officially" claim a reason other than simply denied boarding due to overbooking as the reason they removed this man.

SuperSah

Banned
How does this happen? They make offers for people to leave and double down when nobody bites? Then they randomly select pepople to be kicked off who had legal entitlement to the service in which they had paid for?

Sounds like one backwards ass company to me. Shameful.

How does this happen? They make offers for people to leave and double down when nobody bites? Then they randomly select pepople to be kicked off who had legal entitlement to the service in which they had paid for?

Sounds like one backwards ass company to me. Shameful.

It's totally legal, especially if it's prior to boarding the plane. What's grey is once everyone's already seated on the plane.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I can only imagine you are typing this with a "Rage Against The Machine" song playing in the background.

If you are asked by security to leave a fucking airplane, stand up like a big boy and leave the fucking airplane. It's not the lunch counter in Greensboro.

Jesus. Are you just spending your days screaming at cashiers that shortchange you a buck?
If I spend $200+ of my to take a flight, I ain't moving a goddamn inch on that plane until I land.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I was wondering about this point. I'm glad you did your homework.

False equivalency minister indeed

Bullza2o

I've flown UA for the first time last year to Japan and it was honestly the worst flight I've ever been to. They had an issue with their entertainment equipment (the in-seat TVs) which delayed the flight for around 2 hours. My TV was stuck on a bootloop, so I couldn't do anything and was so bored for 12 hours.
I later found out they almost canceled the flight altogether just because some TVs weren't working...it would have ruined my Japan trip.

Thankfully I flew ANA returning home.

I'm not flying UA ever again.

Flo_Evans

It's totally legal, especially if it's prior to boarding the plane. What's grey is once everyone's already seated on the plane.

It would be pretty interesting to see what happens if this goes to trail. Personally I think United would win but who knows. They would be insane to even try, but it's United...

MultiCore

The good news is, with all these combative passengers self-selecting themselves from flying with United in the future, it's far less likely that you'll witness a similar situation on United going forward.

The bad news is, if any other airline needs to bump people, the populace is being prepared to be as uncooperative as possible.

Since the US Transportation code was raised earlier, which I take to mean the U.S. Code section on Transportation, 49 USC Section 42301(i)(3)(A) would seem to contradict the earlier statement that passengers are considered "boarded" only when the aircraft doors have been closed.

The section states in part:

"awaiting takeoff after the aircraft doors have been closed or after passengers have been boarded if the passengers have not been advised they are free to deplane"

If aircraft doors closing and passengers boarded were one and the same, the code would not have treated the two as two separate events. The language of "or after passengers have been boarded..." would imply that a passenger can be considered "boarded" prior to the closing of the aircraft doors.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
God damn never seen anything like this before. I've been in an overbook many times flying to work on a Monday, I'd take the cash on occasions but can never imagine you'd get beat up by the airline.

You think you've seen it all.

WTF 😐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom