• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

Lynd7

I can't seem to figure out if more people like or dislike this game :( Just bought a copy on PS4, but now I'm afraid to open it...

If you like Banjo, you have nothing to worry about at all.

Even if you haven't played Banjo, there's a good chance you'll still like it.

rjc571

Banned
So I still have not received my Steam code for backing the project on Kickstarter. I checked the last email I received and saw this blurb:

Digital Game Rewards for Steam, GOG and Xbox One will be sent out this week so that backers on those platforms can pre-load the game in time for release day. PS4 codes will be dispatched and immediately playable on Monday, April 10 in time for Yooka-Laylee's first worldwide release in Australia and New Zealand.

Codes will be fulfilled via platform specific codes which can be collected from each users BackerKit pledge. Backers must have access to their BackerKit pledge, using the email account registered on the BackerKit system. Digital Codes will not be accessible via Kickstarter.

So now my questions are:
1) What the fuck is BackerKit?
2) Why do I need to sign up for something else to get my code? I pledged money for the game on Kickstarter, why isn't the code being sent through Kickstarter?
3) Is it too late for me to create a BackerKit account to get access to my code?

Edit: Nevermind I was able to get the code sent to me

If you like Banjo, you have nothing to worry about at all.

Even if you haven't played Banjo, there's a good chance you'll still like it.

I played and liked the first Banjo Kazooie. Even ordered one of those vinyl soundtracks that was available for it ^_^ Still havent gotten around to Banjo-Tooie though

Kinsei

Banned
So I still have not received my Steam code for backing the project on Kickstarter. I checked the last email I received and saw this blurb:

So now my questions are:
1) What the fuck is BackerKit?
2) Why do I need to sign up for something else to get my code? I pledged money for the game on Kickstarter, why isn't the code being sent through Kickstarter?
3) Is it too late for me to create a BackerKit account to get access to my code?

1) The website where you took your survey to specify the name you wanted to be in the credits and (if applicable) which console you wanted the game for.

2) You don't need to sign up for it.

3) You already have an account. Go to https://yooka-laylee.backerkit.com and put in the email address you used when you backed the game on Kickstarter.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I can't seem to figure out if more people like or dislike this game :( Just bought a copy on PS4, but now I'm afraid to open it...

I think it's OK. Very charming and it looks lovely, although undone by niggles great and small. Played for about 5 hours and 6/10 seems about right for me. I totally missed out on the Banjo games and that, if it matters.

Ilmyr

I have noticeable input lag on my PS4 Pro. I can sense it even in the main menu of the game.
It's so annoying that i stopped playing after 10 minutes :(

Anyone else with problems on the PS4 Pro?

I have noticeable input lag on my PS4 Pro. I can sense it even in the main menu of the game.
It's so annoying that i stopped playing after 10 minutes :(

Anyone else with problems on the PS4 Pro?

Nope. Playing on a pro here with boost mode and its fine. However, I can occasionally get interference from my router as its close to the PS4 which can affect it occasionally. A reset of router normally sorts it. Try wired controller see if it goes away.

Well, i just got my platinun trophy. That was actually a pretty fun game, can't say i'll ever play it again though. Really wish they spent more time on the minigames, because each one of them was just terrible. The Kartos/Rextro sections really brought the game down.

If i get this for my 9yr old, will he be able to play and enjoy it, or is it made with a difficulty that is geared towards nostalgic older players?

If i get this for my 9yr old, will he be able to play and enjoy it, or is it made with a difficulty that is geared towards nostalgic older players?

I think they'll be fine. I still struggle to this day in parts of Banjo, but Yooka-Laylee has been pretty straight-forward and easy so far. I have heard it ups the difficulty later, though, so I can only speak for the first world.

Skyzard

Banned
Can you lower the sound of the voices?

Loading it up later tonight. Banjo had the same style of voices but it was quite soft and quiet, from the videos I saw it's quite loud and sharp here.

Tell that to Dunkey, lol

Wouldn't really put any weight into Dunkey's opinions, especially with his questionable at best attitude towards recent events.

This game is charming as all hell, though what is up with these loading screens? Like the game is destroying itself

From my limited experience the loading screen only freezes up when you boot up your save, every other loading screen is fine. very weird though and it made me concerned that my game legit crashed.

Jesus, the grunting when characters speak is fucking unbearable.

I thought you wanted to steer clear of this game?

From what I've experienced so far it's about as easy as the original Banjo games. Your kid will probably be able to finish the story with little trouble but might not be able to 100% it.

Loading it up later tonight. Banjo had the same style of voices but it was quite soft and quiet, from the videos I saw it's quite loud and sharp here.

You can lower booth the voices and sound effects at the same time, but not the voices by themselves.

How can the camera be this bad? It gets stuck behind tree's, gates and even the ground. Who playtested this? have they never played a third person action game ever the last ten years? This is basic stuff

I think they'll be fine. I still struggle to this day in parts of Banjo, but Yooka-Laylee has been pretty straight-forward and easy so far. I have heard it ups the difficulty later, though, so I can only speak for the first world.

From what I've experienced so far it's about as easy as the original Banjo games. Your kid will probably be able to finish the story with little trouble but might not be able to 100% it.

Thats all I needed, thanks. I just want him to have fun playing a classic style game.

I was looking forward to the gibberish voices. I hope they're not *too* annoying. The ones in BK crack me up to this day.

I did hear Laylee's "voice" in a random video, and it sounded pretty cute.

I was looking forward to the gibberish voices. I hope they're not *too* annoying. The ones in BK crack me up to this day.

I did hear Laylee's "voice" in a random video, and it sounded pretty cute.

They sound exactly like Banjo voices, I think the main thing that bothers people now might be how cranked up they are. I knew something was weird at first, but it took me a bit to realize that they were just louder than in Banjo.

It also sounds weird in a modern game to hear those voices switch between samples so fast.

ramparter

Banned

This. Most banjo characters had smooth soft voices compared to this with few exceptions.

Anyway my biggest complain right now is the camera, I lost to Rampo one time because I went on the side on the base to touch a butterfly and camera did a 180 so instead of moving towards the center I end up going out and falling. The boss itself btw wasnt nearly as difficult as posts here made it sound.

After expanding the 1st world I have to say as far as world design goes this is one of the best levels I have seen and easily beats most kazooie/tooie/dk64 stages.

But so far the game feels more like DK64 than BK meaning that while I enjoy the exploration, the challenges/tasks/pagies themselves range from enjoyable to meh to wtf is this shit. Biggest offender so far was the one where you hit the switch and you have to navigate through rings jumping from one slippery ramp to the other in a limited time. Pure garbage fave me no satisfaction at all when I did it.

Less is more when are they going to learn? No one asked for a big game filled with crappy stuff.

Lynd7

They sound exactly like Banjo voices, I think the main thing that bothers people now might be how cranked up they are. I knew something was weird at first, but it took me a bit to realize that they were just louder than in Banjo.

It also sounds weird in a modern game to hear those voices switch between samples so fast.

I thought th sound effects were too high on videos and the toy box too, but playing on my TV on PS4, hasn't seemed bad to me.

But so far the game feels more like DK64 than BK meaning that while I enjoy the exploration, the challenges/tasks/pagies themselves range from enjoyable to meh to wtf is this shit. Biggest offender so far was the one where you hit the switch and you have to navigate through rings jumping from one slippery ramp to the other in a limited time. Pure garbage fave me no satisfaction at all when I did it.

Less is more when are they going to learn? No one asked for a big game filled with crappy stuff.

Yeah, that challenge is TERRIBLE. I still don't know how I managed to do it, and I am wracking my brains trying to think of a way it could play better.

I thought th sound effects were too high on videos and the toy box too, but playing on my TV on PS4, hasn't seemed bad to me.

I got used to them again pretty fast, but it is weird how whenever something is even a LITTLE different from Banjo, it feels weird and I pause for a bit to figure out what is going on.

I love this game now, but I DEFINITELY understand why it rubbed so many people the wrong way. There's just so many tiny things that feel off once in a while, and it takes me a while to figure out why and whether it's actually a problem or not. Usually it hasn't been, though.

TheSun

Ahem,

I'm still gonna wait a bit before I decide to get it.

Till then imma just hope that their next endeavors prove to be less divisive.

So steam decided I can't play this game today

It won't download. It keeps pausing and starting. In an hour and a half, it's only 50% done on a download that should take 10 minutes

Any idea on a fix?

Edit: it was windows update slowing it down because of course it was Windows

This. Most banjo characters had smooth soft voices compared to this with few exceptions.

Anyway my biggest complain right now is the camera, I lost to Rampo one time because I went on the side on the base to touch a butterfly and camera did a 180 so instead of moving towards the center I end up going out and falling. The boss itself btw wasnt nearly as difficult as posts here made it sound.

After expanding the 1st world I have to say as far as world design goes this is one of the best levels I have seen and easily beats most kazooie/tooie/dk64 stages.

It's pretty easy once you figure out how rolling works. Just roll very slow. You can even jump higher while standing still.

Artanisix

aight i gotta be honest here, i never minded the voices in BK/BT but there is just something extremely offputting about the voices done in YL. idk if it's the samples or they switch too fast or what but it's actually legit annoying

Okay, need help in World 1 (secret, camera area)

I got the invisibility ability and went past the camera. Now I have to use bombs to destroy some rocks right behind a turret on a slope
How do I do this?

Camjo-Z

Okay, need help in World 1 (secret, camera area)

I got the invisibility ability and went past the camera. Now I have to use bombs to destroy some rocks right behind a turret on a slope
How do I do this?

There's a wall with bars next to the rocks, shoot through there.

Soooo, first impressions after a few hours: lovely!! I even found the good old DKC exploit of leaping off an edge with an attack + jumping afterwards. I managed to do a ring challenge that way without actually having the gliding move yet. :)

Some positives:

+ feeling of freedom. You can climb many obstacles if you try
+ graphics. The world feels alive :)
+ bad jokes are awesome!
+ controls are spot on!

I've beaten the boss of the first world. Ok, it was easy but had a nice Banjo Tooie vibe about it. I made the cloud piss and now I'll have to go to bed. It's so late already ;_;.

I can't for the life of me see where some of the heavy complaining comes from. I even had no problems with the camera so far – though I can see people who aren't used to manipulating it all the time could have problems!

Well I've put a decent amount of time into the first world, the game seems okay, like I'm not amazed nor am I feeling like it's particularly bad but it's still early days.

Rampo though, that bit was a mess, the idea was sound but the camera angle, strange obstacle setup towards the end and an inability to jump if you mess up and end up sliding back down causing you to crash into previous hazards, geez, it was like a stream of clumsy design cobbled together.

bumpkin

It's release day and I don't have my physical backer edition... I feel like this shit always happens with Kickstarters. I got the "Toybox" demo months back and was sent my digital manual and soundtrack downloads, but I'm still kind of bullshit about not having my game while people who didn't back it have theirs. :(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Soooo, first impressions after a few hours: lovely!! I even found the good old DKC exploit of leaping off an edge with an attack + jumping afterwards. I managed to do a ring challenge that way without actually having the gliding move yet. :)

Some positives:

+ feeling of freedom. You can climb many obstacles if you try
+ graphics. The world feels alive :)
+ bad jokes are awesome!
+ controls are spot on!

I've beaten the boss of the first world. Ok, it was easy but had a nice Banjo Tooie vibe about it. I made the cloud piss and now I'll have to go to bed. It's so late already ;_;.

I can't for the life of me see where some of the heavy complaining comes from. I even had no problems with the camera so far – though I can see people who aren't used to manipulating it all the time could have problems!

Great to see you like it as well :).

Top Bottom