• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Just in case anyone still doubted this game can be played with a standard control setup (even though Nintendo has said this since January), the eShop page for ARMS lists the Pro Controller as a supported control scheme and the game can be played in all three Switch modes (TV, Tabletop, Portable).

Just in case anyone still doubted this game can be played with a standard control setup (even though Nintendo has said this since January), the eShop page for ARMS lists the Pro Controller as a supported control scheme and the game can be played in all three Switch modes (TV, Tabletop, Portable).

That's good to know

I mean doing motion controls in tabletop mode in an airplane would be disruptive

I think the portability aspect of the Switch must've forced the developers to include traditional controls BIG TIME

hatchx

Banned
I still can't really wrap my head around how this game plays. How the defence, movement, and punch-bending all mesh together is still a little blurry to me.

But the art style and presentation are excellent. The gameplay looks incredibly unique - a 3D fighter with mix of a boxing game.
And it's Nintendo, specifically the Mario Kart team. It's not going to be a bad game. At best, a smash hit. At worst, a divisive game over the motion controls/content.

I need to ask though, what's with the idea that this isn't a 'full' game? Are fighting games not 'real' games or something now? When was the last time we had a fighter that had full 3D movement?

I need to ask though, what's with the idea that this isn't a 'full' game? Are fighting games not 'real' games or something now? When was the last time we had a fighter that had full 3D movement?

People become incredibly stupid when it comes to Nintendo. It's the same people who thought Splatoon wouldn't be a complete game and who don't understand the concept of a demo for some reason

I hope if your not gonna use the motion controls the game leaves you at a disadvantage. Everything that you can do with motion controls you should be able to do with button inputs. There can't be some sort of favoritism with the control setup.

It might be the difference between stick vs gyro controls in Splatoon. Some people hate all forms of motion controls, and strictly use the stick to aim, but they're definitely at a disadvantage

Doorman

It's the same sentiment from likely the same crowd that believed Splatoon should be a $10 eShop title because they thought all the game had was random turf wars with Testfire weapons and "no content," prior to Nintendo continually announcing other features and content. The same people who thought the final game was going to launch with 5 characters because that was all we saw during the initial reveal.

In other words, people think it's not a "full" game because Nintendo didn't reveal literally every feature from moment one.

I hope if your not gonna use the motion controls the game doesn't leave you at a disadvantage. Everything that you can do with motion controls you should be able to do with button inputs. There can't be some sort of favoritism with the control setup.

Cerium

The character models are fantastic. This is the only Switch game so far that looks significantly better than any 1st party WiiU game. The low detail backgrounds and smaller arenas must help a lot.

I would argue that Mario Odyssey, with its 60fps and vast environments, takes the cake. And I'm sure they'll still be polishing that one all the way up to release.

But yeah ARMS is definitely gorgeous. EPD1 knows how to squeeze hardware.

Doorman

I hope if your not gonna use the motion controls the game leaves you at a disadvantage. Everything that you can do with motion controls you should be able to do with button inputs. There can't be some sort of favoritism with the control setup.

In an interview the developers mentioned that some advanced techniques might be harder to pull off when playing in single joycon mode (yes there is a mode for single joycon control), but besides that we aren't sure just what is or isn't available. I imagine doing some of the crazier punch-curving would be harder with traditional controls. ARMS will still be fully playable traditionally but Yabuki has seemingly hinted that he believes motion controls will be the way to go for more serious play.

Having played a demo, I just can't imagine the non-motion control scheme, but cool that they figured it out for handheld mode. I would expect that, like Splatoon, people will praise the motion controls over the traditional set up.

Current videos of press playing are a little misleading. You really don't have to punch, it's more of a flick, then you steer your punch by turning your hand (think the safe cracking game from 1, 2, Switch).

Curious about one thing though: price wasn't listed on the eshop last time I checked. Totally expecting a full price game, but that made me wonder. Day 1 either way!

Edit: wish I needed extra joycon for literally any reason. I totally want those yellow guys, but it's hard to justify over an extra pro controller or games etc.

In an interview the developers mentioned that some advanced techniques might be harder to pull off when playing in single joycon mode (yes there is a mode for single joycon control), but besides that we aren't sure just what is or isn't available. I imagine doing some of the crazier punch-curving would be harder with traditional controls. ARMS will still be fully playable traditionally but Yabuki has seemingly hinted that he believes motion controls will be the way to go for more serious play.
That dissapoints me. Not enough to put me off buying it but still. No matter how good a game uses motion controls I can't do it.

Cerium

That dissapoints me. Not enough to put me off buying it but still. No matter how good a game uses motion controls I can't do it.

I mean there's a world of difference between a single Joy-Con and, say, a Pro Controller.

I expect that, like Splatoon, people will pick the mode of control that works for them.

Penguin

I still can't really wrap my head around how this game plays. How the defence, movement, and punch-bending all mesh together is still a little blurry to me.

But the art style and presentation are excellent. The gameplay looks incredibly unique - a 3D fighter with mix of a boxing game.
And it's Nintendo, specifically the Mario Kart team. It's not going to be a bad game. At best, a smash hit. At worst, a divisive game over the motion controls/content.

All I can say is on a basic level, it works really well.

I think the biggest hurdle for a lot of folks will be the desire to waggle right off the bat. This isn't that game. There's speed to it, but a nuance speed. Once I got use to that, the entire thing flows well.

My only gripe remains that I think the shoulder and bumpers should be swapped in what they do.

hatchx

Banned

Oh I didn't know it had single joy con controls.
In this case, I imagine it'd be pretty restricted VS the motion controls but atleast both opponents would have the same control scheme. It kind of makes sense to play in a simplified fashion for on-the-go tablet mode with friends.

On a side note, I believe they mentioned an in-game currency to buy new things. I love that. I hope the game's menu has a hub-feel. Maybe not quite a robust hub as Splatoon, but something in the vein of a Sakurai game where you feel like there's lots to do with every mode working towards the same goal. I'd love lots of superfluous unlockables like costumes, art, trophies, etc. I also hope it has a bunch of dumb side mini games. I like crap like that.

All I can say is on a basic level, it works really well.

I think the biggest hurdle for a lot of folks will be the desire to waggle right off the bat. This isn't that game. There's speed to it, but a nuance speed. Once I got use to that, the entire thing flows well.

My only gripe remains that I think the shoulder and bumpers should be swapped in what they do.

Thanks for the impressions. I was a little worried using motion controls for movement and for punching is a bit cumbersome.

What do the shoulder buttons do? Where can I find the full control scheme?

greelay

This release date indicates a ton of confidence from Nintendo on this game. There are going to be a ton of reactions to what is going to be a very close to final build (if not the actual final build), and then this game comes out immediately after e3. This is all under the assumption that they will have an Arms demo at e3 though, I guess. I am actually considering this game now after that direct, which I was not doing when it was introduced.

Doorman

Oh I didn't know it had single joy con controls.
In this case, I imagine it'd be pretty restricted VS the motion controls but atleast both opponents would have the same control scheme. It kind of makes sense to play in a simplified fashion for on-the-go tablet mode with friends.

On a side note, I believe they mentioned an in-game currency to buy new things. I love that. I hope the game's menu has a hub-feel. Maybe not quite a robust hub as Splatoon, but something in the vein of a Sakurai game where you feel like there's lots to do with every mode working towards the same goal. I'd love lots of superfluous unlockables like costumes, art, trophies, etc. I also hope it has a bunch of dumb side mini games. I like crap like that.

I'm going to wind up kind of surprised and disappointed if you don't have to punch your menu options.

Mandelbo

Thanks for the impressions. I was a little worried using motion controls for movement and for punching is a bit cumbersome.

What do the shoulder buttons do? Where can I find the full control scheme?

iirc ZR/ZL activate the flurry punch, while R jumps (I can't remember whether R and L do the same thing or not) - I can see why you'd want them switched round though, seeing as how you'll be jumping far more than you'll be doing a flurry.

With the motion controls, the majority of your actions are mapped to the motion sensors rather than buttons. From what I remember:
- Flick joycon to punch
- Flick joycon in a curved motion to do a hook punch
- Hold joycons horizontally rather than vertically to block
- Lean left, right, forwards or backwards to move in that direction
- Thrust both joycons forward to grab

I can't remember how you do a quick dash :p

iirc ZR/ZL activate the flurry punch, while R jumps (I can't remember whether R and L do the same thing or not) - I can see why you'd want them switched round though, seeing as how you'll be jumping far more than you'll be doing a flurry.

With the motion controls, the majority of your actions are mapped to the motion sensors rather than buttons. From what I remember:
- Flick joycon to punch
- Flick joycon in a curved motion to do a hook punch
- Hold joycons horizontally rather than vertically to block
- Lean left, right, forwards or backwards to move in that direction
- Thrust both joycons forward to grab

I can't remember how you do a quick dash :p

Haha you almost had it, R jumps and L dashes, iirc

Doorman

ggx2ac

Double post but needed to mention this.

The E3 exhibition is on from June 13th to June 15th, ARMS releases on June 16th.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo makes another event on the 11th of June like with the Nintendo World Championships but, they make it a tournament for ARMS just before E3 starts.

June 11th: ARMS tournament
June 13th: Nintendo Event
June 16th: ARMS releases

They're using E3 to help give ARMS the most exposure it can get and then release it after E3 is over since people need something to play while having to wait for the big holiday games to come out.

Edit: Got the dates wrong.

Double post but needed to mention this.

The E3 exhibition is on from June 13th to June 15th, ARMS releases on June 16th.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo makes another event on the 12th of June like with the Nintendo World Championships but, they make it a tournament for ARMS just before E3 starts.

June 11th: ARMS tournament
June 13th: Nintendo Event
June 16th: ARMS releases

They're using E3 to help give ARMS the most exposure it can get and then release it after E3 is over since people need something to play while having to wait for the big holiday games to come out.

Edit: Got the dates wrong.

I could actually see a Splatoon Tournament as well with a new multiplayer mode. That'd be an excellent way to show off both games

It's the same sentiment from likely the same crowd that believed Splatoon should be a $10 eShop title because they thought all the game had was random turf wars with Testfire weapons and "no content," prior to Nintendo continually announcing other features and content. The same people who thought the final game was going to launch with 5 characters because that was all we saw during the initial reveal.

In other words, people think it's not a "full" game because Nintendo didn't reveal literally every feature from moment one.

Except Splatoon at launch was a $10 eShop title. Though I wouldn't personally go that far but it was definitely not worth $60. It was barebones and had literally nothing. I know because I got it at launch. I regretted my purchase. Thankfully they patched it up so it's a different story now but people aren't wrong and have every right to worry about Arms or express their concerns regarding it because they've pulled this shit before.

Regardless, Arms doesn't look that extensive anyway so I doubt it'll lack content. It'll probably be more about how it's lacking as a game, period.

But I guess we'll see. To me it looks like it's nothing special and probably will be reviewed as an average to mediocre game. There's no middle ground. I don't think it'll be good or bad, just alright.

Did anyone do the profiles of the characters from the Japanese site?

If not:

Spring Man
Belongs To: Spring Gym
Height: 182cm
Weight: 76kg

Ribbon Girl
Belongs To: Ribbon Label
Height: 169cm
Weight: Only as much as her fans think!

Ninjara
Belongs To: Rasen Ninja University
Height: 179cm
Weight: 68kg

Master Mummy
Belongs To: Mummy Hospital
Height: 231cm
Weight: 167kg

Min Min
Belongs To: Noodle Dining Hall
Height: 167cm
Weight: On a diet

Mechanica
Belongs To: Scrap Yard
Height: 234cm (Outside suit: 158cm)
Weight: 545kg (Outside suit: 45kg)

random25

Girls hiding their weight...lol.

Master Mummy is a family man.

Mechanica is a yuri material.

Ninjara is a low key nerd.

Luigiv

Mechanica

yoJC2KkAiOFi4eHjji.gif

Akainu

If not:

Spring Man

Ribbon Girl

Ninjara

Master Mummy

Min Min

Mechanica

The girls can't tell weight because woman problems is dumb. So these are cyborgs huh?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

If not:

Spring Man

Ribbon Girl

Ninjara

Master Mummy

Min Min

Mechanica

I always knew Ribbon Girl is an idol

If not:

Spring Man

Ribbon Girl

Ninjara

Master Mummy

Min Min

Mechanica

Not the official translation, I know, but I take it "belongs to" corresponds directly to the stages we've seen and denotes each character's home stage.

If not:

Spring Man

Ribbon Girl

Ninjara

Master Mummy

Min Min

Mechanica

Spring Man loves his pizza

So each of the announced fighters have their own stage. Spring Man has the generic boxing rink. Ribbon Girl has a concert hall dance stage. Ninjara has a ninja temple with sakura tree. Mechana has a construction site. Master Mummy has a spooky graveyard. Min Min has the giant ramen bowl.

A seventh stage is shown, corresponding to one of the other characters. This character clearly has the DNA double helix as arms. My bet is on the white character being a Mewtwo-like genetically engineered clone. We can see the body of this character (or at least his minions) in giant test chambers on this stage.

Other stuff I noticed: Each of the characters has their own icon. This is often shown on their stage, but I didn't spot all of them. There's also logos representing the brands of different equipment suppliers. The Arms League has its own logo, looking kind of like a letter A with a globe in the middle and lightning coming out of the bottom. The fans in the audience members dress up like the characters you're playing as in Kirby-like costumes.

Silly guesses: The green sex robot is really a humanoid wearing a welding mask, with fire arms. The Luchadora has spandex arms. The yellow robot has braided extension cord arms.

Harpoon

The green sex robot is really a humanoid wearing a welding mask, with fire arms.

Nah, he's going to be a blob creature, probably with tentacles or something. You can see part of his goggles underneath his translucent flesh.

EDIT: Actually, that might just be the green reflecting off of his goggles. Still, looking very jello-like.

Cerium

So each of the announced fighters have their own stage. Spring Man has the generic boxing rink. Ribbon Girl has a concert hall dance stage. Ninjara has a ninja temple with sakura tree. Mechana has a construction site. Master Mummy has a spooky graveyard. Min Min has the giant ramen bowl.

A seventh stage is shown, corresponding to one of the other characters. This character clearly has the DNA double helix as arms. My bet is on the white character being a Mewtwo-like genetically engineered clone. We can see the body of this character (or at least his minions) in giant test chambers on this stage.

Other stuff I noticed: Each of the characters has their own icon. This is often shown on their stage, but I didn't spot all of them. There's also logos representing the brands of different equipment suppliers. The Arms League has its own logo, looking kind of like a letter A with a globe in the middle and lightning coming out of the bottom. The fans in the audience members dress up like the characters you're playing as in Kirby-like costumes.

Silly guesses: The green sex robot is really a humanoid wearing a welding mask, with fire arms. The Luchadora has spandex arms. The yellow robot has braided extension cord arms.
Loving the world building here. Game is filled with charm.

Any chance you can pair this great commentary with pictures? I totally missed the double helix thing and the stage.

Top Bottom