• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

Iolo

Nah, it's music notes:
Do Rephan
Mi Pha
Zo La (Zora)
Si Don

w... what... This seems unlikely to be accidental, and si was actually an old name for ti. That's great. I award you five points for this.

edit: the note ti is si in Japanese, so this is perfect.

watershed

Banned
Question more than discovery: does Link get sun burned/tanned when you go naked in the desert? I notice some areas of his skin seem to turn a little tan/brownish. I noticed it when I was on the menu screen. Or is this just the sign that I'm losing health?

LPG

Neo Member
Question more than discovery: does Link get sun burned/tanned when you go naked in the desert? I notice some areas of his skin seem to turn a little tan/brownish. I noticed it when I was on the menu screen. Or is this just the sign that I'm losing health?

I believe he gets a flushed face when he's hot (and maybe when he's cold too?), but I don't think he gets a tan.

Is it known that you can leave switches pressed with a bunch of apples? (7 to be exact I believe, and I assume other items would work as well). I was really shocked when a friend of mine tried this very early in the game when he didn't see a steel barrel and it worked.

random25

Is it known that you can leave switches pressed with a bunch of apples? (7 to be exact I believe, and I assume other items would work as well). I was really shocked when a friend of mine tried this very early in the game when he didn't see a steel barrel and it worked.

Never though about doing it using apples, though I usually do it with weapons.

Cool. I don't think it's been said, no.

Never though about doing it using apples, though I usually do it with weapons.
Gourmet meat is usually heavy enough to do it by itself.

Ritzboof

my weapon of choice is greatswords because of their charge attack. it takes a breif moment to get it going, but its super fast, constant, locomotive hits, and you can circle the enemy while doing it an be untouchable. then, to avoid slamming down the sword and wasting durability (or wasting a fury), or if you decide against it, just press B even during its startup and it cancels instantly. its also just super easy to knock shit down with greatswords, so you can control a situation really well with minimal effort

things that are usually tough just because of how much punishment they take are trivial this way

TheMoon

You don't have to close a menu to open the other. You can switch between menus using + or - .

You can press X while crouching to move faster.

Chuchu jellies (item) explode when you (or the enemy) hit them.

You can hit or stasis Octorok's rocks.

I don't wanna rain on your parade but you're posting really basic things. I'm sure you can imagine with 24+ pages we've had this covered here :D

There's a rainbow bird that I'm pretty sure might be a Pulse tribute, with all the other tributes in the game. I can't believe I'm still finding brand new things in the game almost 2 months in.

Koren

w... what... This seems unlikely to be accidental, and si was actually an old name for ti. That's great. I award you five points for this.

edit: the note ti is si in Japanese, so this is perfect.
That's indeed strange. But I didn't know that other countries used this sequence... We use it in France, but a lot of european countries like UK or Germany have a letter system?

TheMoon

That's indeed strange. But I didn't know that other countries used this sequence... We use it in France, but a lot of european countries like UK or Germany have a letter system?

Huh? No.

Thought so. But don't expect people to read 30 pages before posting their findings. :D

I know, there was somewhat of an argument about this about 10 pages ago but you can assume that simple things like this have been found after two months.^^

XaosWolf

Nah, it's music notes:
Do Rephan
Mi Pha
Zo La (Zora)
Si Don

Ahem.
Revali_Artwork_%28Breath_of_the_Wild%29.png

JoeNut

that is cool, i noticed yesterday that you can stand on them, then stasis it and it'll stay down.

Takat

Not sure if it's OMG, but the guy from the archery game usually sells you bomb arrows unless it's raining and then they are shock arrows.

Finally read every post in this thread. Phenomenal stuff. I'm 100 hours into the game and only defeated the Zora beast so far and haven't even uncovered the entire map yet! I'm in no rush to finish the game... I'd be happy if it lasts me until the DLC drops.

My mind is blown by the sheer amount of little details, systems interactions, and things you can do in this game. This is the first "console game" I've played in a very long time, and I'm wondering if any other modern games have this much thought and work put into them? I've seen MGSV mentioned in this thread (which I haven't played)... Any others? Is Zelda unrivaled in this regard, or has this kind of attention to detail been kind of normalized in AAA/open world games in recent years?

Finally read every post in this thread.

People do this? lol.

Kudos.

And yes, this is my favorite game since MGSV. You should play it. Like you, I'm a lapsed gamer. The only games I've played between now and MGSV are DOOM and U4. I hated one of those, I'm sure you can guess which one and for what reasons. MGSV impacted me in a large way.

As much as I love BotW, I believe MGSV is a much better all around game. A lot of my love for BotW is due to lowered expectations and biases regarding what I thought modern Nintendo could/wold produce. People keep calling BotW "If you can think of it, you can do it- the game.", but that title really belongs to MGSV.

People do this? lol.

Kudos.

And yes, this is my favorite game since MGSV. You should play it. Like you, I'm a lapsed gamer. The only games I've played between now and MGSV are DOOM and U4. I hated one of those, I'm sure you can guess which one and for what reasons. MGSV impacted me in a large way.

As much as I love BotW, I believe MGSV is a much better all around game. A lot of my love for BotW is due to lowered expectations and biases regarding what o thought modern Nintendo could/wold produce. People keep calling BotW "If you can think of it, you can do it- the game.", but that title really belongs to MGSV.

I've been wanting to play MGSV, I even built a gaming PC largely for it, but I can't seem to stick to games that require me to sit on a chair in front of a TV/monitor. I want every game on Switch now or a Switch-like device. Maybe I should get an Nvidia Shield, but I don't like the idea of "streaming" my games.

I did play Ground Zeroes and enjoyed it a lot. MGS used to be my favorite series (which my GAF username and tag are from).

Sorry for the off topic post.

Ushay

Breaking ice blocks with cryonis..would have helped a lot against the elephant instead of using my arrows.

Holy shit I feel so stupid now..

I came across a Tower covered in thorns, so I had to figure out a way to burn them down with no fire nearby..
I cut a nearby tree and smashed it for wood, dropped a flint. Then proceeded to ignite it with a sword swing, Worked! Mind was blown by the simplicity.

Ushay

Ok so I'm hearing people still talking on podcasts about patting horses being the only way to raise affinity. Are apples really not widely known?

Hold 5 apples, stand in front of a tamed horse, and they'll eat from your hands. Massive affinity boost.

Repear 2-3 times to max affinity with any horse.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

Bit late, but he means C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C', as opposed to Do, Re, Mi, etc. I'm clueless about music but apparently the former refer to notes in the major scale.

Also, I can confirm that Ti is called "Si" in Spain, just like in Japan. Also "So" is called "Sol". Apparently:
The 7th Note SI is TI. In Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, etc.) notes are named with solfège syllables—DO, RE, MI, FA, SOL, LA, SI, DO. The solfège system used in many countries—including the United States—was revised in the 1800's so that all notes begin with a different letter.

jariw

Nah, it's music notes:
Do Rephan
Mi Pha
Zo La (Zora)
Si Don

Just, wow! This is one of the most brilliant use of the Solfege system I've ever seen!

A music scale referencing the fish people in Zora (with scales). Wonder if scale=scale works in any other language than English?

Koren

Bit late, but he means C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C', as opposed to Do, Re, Mi, etc. I'm clueless about music but apparently the former refer to notes in the major scale.

Also, I can confirm that Ti is called "Si" in Spain, just like in Japan. Also "So" is called "Sol". Apparently:
Yes, that's what I meant.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, germany use C D E F G A H C (H replaced B for a reason I don't remember).

I thought France, Italy and a couple others were the only one still using the syllabus coming from the old poem.

I also thought Japan used イ ロ ハ ニ ホ ヘ ト (I-ro-ha, the closest thing to an alphabetic order for kanas).

There was a switch on the other side of a gate that had barrels on them. It was clear you were supposed to use stasis to move them. I tried blowing them with a korok leaf. They wobbled a bit. I charged the korok leaf. It knocked them down and off the switch. The door opened.

Uh

Did anyone else know that if you're holding items (ie ingredients) and you press down on the D-Pad, the circle changes and you actually throw the items instead of just dropping them

KarmaCow

Uh

Did anyone else know that if you're holding items (ie ingredients) and you press down on the D-Pad, the circle changes and you actually throw the items instead of just dropping them

Yes, because it says so in the UI when holding an item. You can do the inverse for Cryonis to make it so it makes the pillar under your feet.

I found 3 places on the map I did not discover taking me from 99.30 to 99.70 something %
I thought I was only missing one spot found 3 and I am still looking to hit 100%

Uh

yeah I used that at the banana clan's hideout trow them away from where I am hiding

Note: i read the entire thread. The reason to repeat some things is because there are further details that might be interesting or an explanation of the "set up" is included. By set up i mean the environmental details or clues that Nintendo established to guide the player towards a discovery. Think that is important to to talk about it, otherwise it could mean a person sharing the detail read or heard it somewhere instead of figuring it out on it's own.
  • Tapetum Lucidum. The reflective membrane inside the eyes of some animals. One can notice the eye shine at night in the dog eyes or cows for example.
  • Sheika Map. Useful for Korok Seed hunting. Once a tower is activated by zooming into the map is possible to notice Korok puzzles that use rock or tree formations, this cut aimless wandering. Another useful thing is regarding the ruins, burned ruins have an special iconography and this locations tend to have a Wizrobe near by, useful to know in case one needs an elemental rod.
  • Quick Menu Sorting. Going to the start menu and sorting the weapons/Shields/Bows menu with Y will reflect on the corresponding Quick Menu. Since the quick menu order changes from oldest to newest pick ups someone might prefer to organize this menu by weapon type for example. Useful when having extra upgraded slots.
  • Quick Spin. The traditional Quick Spin (360 + Y) from the 3D Zeldas is in the game for 1 handed weapons.
  • Blunt Weapon & Fruit Tree. Hitting trees with blunt weapons will cause the fruit to fall. The stronger the weapon the less hits needed to take a fruit down and more will fall with 1 hit. Weird detail to program.
  • Amiibo Toolbox. Amiibos that cause metal boxes to drop from the sky can be used in interesting ways: 1) Surprise attacks . By dropping them on top of enemies, explosive barrels or during thunderstorms. 2) To loot inactive decayed guardians. Handy when there aren't any magnetic rocks or isn't raining to use the Cryonis Rune to move them. 3) To drown Guardians. Inmovilize a Guardian by cutting the legs, then use a metal box to push it inside a body of water, a bug or a lava pool.
  • The Swiss Knife of Blizzard Rods. Things to do with this rod: 1) Put down fires. 2)Neutralize a Lynel BreathAttack. 3) Freeze meat, fish, & crabs for instant heat protection. 4) Take down all fruit in it blast radious even from multiple trees in 1 swing. 5) Put any collectable reptile in freeze state for easy picking. 6) Kill insecst instantly even bees. 7)Block Octorok projectile attack. 8)Drop body temp in hot areas. 9) Freeze a pack of wild Horses and get behind one to mount it when it unfreezes.
  • Sheika Slate Errors. Right after acquiring this item various sections of the slate menu display an error message like the Photos or Hyrule Compendium entries. In the extreme temperatures of D. Mountain the Slate displays an error message instead of the usual temp reading. Under sandstorm the signal from the Resurrection Towers is blocked so the map can't be displayed.
  • Dye Shop walls. In Hateno one can notcie posters describing the color afinities of the various ingredients used in the process.
  • Transition Areas.The change from cold snowy weather to a higher temperature one is marked by rain. Similary when ascending high enough, the rain drops turn to snow flakes.
  • Cryonis. Some details programmed into these pillars: Some objects like chests or boxes skid on top of them. Most enemy projectiles can be blocked with an ice pillar, from a Guardian Laser to a Lynel Fire Breath attack. A Cryonis Pillar can shield the wind but not the rain.

Training to quickly lay and jump between pillars is close to swiming in terms of speed but with the advanatage minimal stamina drain and no speed lost when going against a water cuarrent.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01hzuak.jpg
  • Rain. The rain is an actual simulation instead of a fixed event, it detects the contour of the geometry and decides where wetness settles. In the pic is possible to light a fire under a bridge while raining.
  • Wind. List of things affected by wind direction: Clouds, snow flakes, rain drops, mist, desert dust, trees, bushes, grass, particle effects (such as fire, embers), dangling cloths, cold breath, small items.
    wiiu_screenshot_tv_01itl95.jpg

• Revali's Gale Fun. Like having a portable turbine at all times since you can activate it by pressing and holding the jump button (X) & abort it's use by pressing B. Only limitation is that the wind always goes up so it can't be used in the sail boat. One can float small objects up like: Apples in trees, wild berries, bombs, pots, flags or any dangling object like cloths. Also works for heavier objects by attaching an Octoballon and using the wind to quickly propel it up.
  • Lighting Ore. Is possible to light a fire by throwing the wood near an ore deposit and hitting it with a metal weapon. Not for everyday use but it saves some flint.
  • Quiver. The max ammount of visible arrows inside a quiver is 7. When the amount of arrows goes down to 6 the quiver will visibly reflect the remaining number in the inventory.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_012ibeb.jpg
  • Chikaloo Nuts. This rare item can be found in some trees. However, the sure way to get them is to kill an sparrow, those small birds that spook easily and tend to gather in groups. An efficient way to gather these nuts is to fire a bomb arrow, flinging a bomb with the deku leaf to a group or enter bow concentration mode to pick them up 1 by 1.
  • Resting Birds. A bird perching of a tree is a good indicator that eggs might be on top of it.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01avucy.jpg
  • Seaguls. A flock of birds can mark the location of a shrine. In the pic, a flock of seaguls marked a bank with dozens of fish.
  • Sheeps in the night. Sheeps in the Hateno farm are normally scatered but in the late hours of the night will gather below trees. Anyone with farm experience is familiar with this behavior.
  • Giant Horse. Raming enemies with this horse does more damage. Special Horse Gear doesn't work on this mount, so no customization.
  • Horse Attack. Locking on to an enemy while riding a horse then jumping and hitting Y will produce a homing attack. Also the kick a horse does when getting spooked damages enemies.
  • Sand Seals. Using RuneBombs or explosive arrows stuns them, this is quick way to mount it. They also get stunned when coliding with an object after a dash.
  • The 6th Mount. It's posbile to register a total of 5 horses in a stable. However, the game does keep track on an additional mount. For example, if all the horses are in a stable and Link boards another one, the game tracks it across grids and even saves it's location.
  • Items in Shops. The shops display in real time the exact number of available stock for each product. Buy 1 out of 4 of an item and 3 remain visible.
  • Fallen Leaves. The fallen leave texture on the ground under certain trees has it's own "flamability factor". It catches fire as easily as dried grass does.
  • Female Gerudo Disguise. Sand and Snow Boots work with the top and veil of the female Gerudo outfit. The Thunder Helm can be used instead of the Veil, so once you have these 3 pieces of equipment only the female top is necessary for the disguise to work.
  • Shield Surfing. 3 main variables affect the speed when shield surfing. Surface type, it's wetness and type of shield equipped. To test this, enter Selmie's Snowboarding trial or the SandSeal race with different shields and compare times. As an experiment in regards to the surface influence, take a shield 1 hit away from braking and then proceeded to shield surf as many times as you want on snow or sand only, notice how the shield doesn't brake. In conclusion these 2 surfaces has 0 shield degradation.
  • Surfing Tricks. Hitting jump and one of the 4 cardinal directions of the Left Thumbstick causes Link to perform a trick.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01gika8.jpg
  • Climbing Challange. Is possible to climb the giant pillars surrounding Hyrule castle just by running and jumping only, without using the paraglider or Revali's Gale. The ones on the back of the castle are the hardest. The material reward for reaching the top is not much but the satisfaction is real.
  • A Cold Link. In the Gerudo quest that sees Link delivering ice. Ice melts faster under direct sun light so going through shadows slows down the melting process. Another possibility is to use stasis on the ice block to move it around more quickly.
  • Link to the rescue. Traveling the main roads is the easiest way to encounter NPCs and these travelers can get into trouble. There's a set of NPCs that are scripted to be attacked: The Truffle gathering ladies, the married couple in search of the Silent Princes or the Ruins Raiders. On the other hand there are similar sequences with NPCs that are not scripted, A merchant can get spooked by an enemy and if Link takes care of it, will be rewarded with trinked from it's inventory free of charge.
  • First Time Animations. This are some animations that happen 1 time in the game: 1) Opening the Sheika Map. 2) Using the Sheika Scope. 3) Link getting spooked when using a Shrine Elevator. 4)Full red moon cutscene. 5)1st Shrine Monk vanishing scene.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_017sztx.jpg
  • Link Idle Animations. Most interesting of these are contextual ones: Past 12:00 AM the first idle animation will be one where Link is falling sleep. When freezing hugs himself and shakes his arms. In the heat of the desert he will swipe the sweat from his forehead. When he is not wearing clothes he will do a strong man pose.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0115uo3.jpg
  • Link's Eating Animations: There's various animations depending of food type: 1) Ingredients, 2) Fairies, 3) Drinks, 4) Cooked Food, 4) Food Skewers, 5) Dubious /Monster Food and 6) Rock Hard Food.
  • General NPC Interactions. While quests aren't as elaborate as Majora's Masks, the NPCs are the most reactive ones in the series. The average NPC has a sleep cycle. It's aware of time of day, weather, enemies, fire and the dialogue bubble will reflect these conditions. NPCs can stray of the scripted path, run and even trip themseleves. React to Link's agressions and armed ones will even fight back, is specially funny watching Link get his ass kicked by Gerudo Guards when he crosses the line.

NPCs also often are affected by a "World Change State" even for trivial things. Example, an NPC that gave a quest will have a set of dialogue recognizing the closure of the given quest, past Zelda games werent that great in this aspect. The interaction with the lady that talks about a method for resurrecting horses in one of the stables is a good example, a minor NPC and interacting with her doesn't trigger a quest, yet new line of dialogues are added when the player makes the discovery she references.
  • Sheika the waterproof people. Upon entering this village during a rainy day, one can notice they are the only people that stay outside in the rain instead of runing for cover like in other towns. The reason for this is learned through NPC conversations.
  • Meeting Zidon. There's an alternate way to meet Zidon. If one avoids talking to him near Lanayru Tower and goes straight to King Doraphen and alternate cutscene will play.
    wiiu_screenshot_tv_01spu5a.jpg
  • Old Man of the Plateau. Some skipped the tutorial that is handed via the Old Man but there are some interesting interactions to have. There are 3 ways to get the Warm Doublet: 1) Cooking a special recipe to the Old Man in the Sacred Woods or the cabin. 2) If Link climbs the tallest mountain of the Plateau, the Old Man will be there and he just hands the item. 3) After obtaining the Paraglider the Doublet is inside a chest in the cabin also with a new diary entry as a parting gift. This NPC covers all the basics from cooking to hunting and there's even little scenarios to show this. There's even extra dialogue lines triggered by some player actions, for example this NPC will react to different dishes Link cooks. His diary changes depending if Link finds out his secret dish or not.
  • Town Leaders. The dialog of the village elders changes to some extent depending if Link has the Master Sword or not at that point.
  • Earning those trophies. Inside Selmie's cabin, notice a variety of different shields hanging from the wall. As Link sets new time records he' ll win each shield one by one.
  • Suicide Watch. At Proxim Bridge, climbing on top of the bridge railigs on either side will make Brigo react in a very interesting way.
  • Koko's dialogue in the cementary changes when it's raining.
  • Enemy Behavior. Bokos, Mobs and Lizalfos can be lured using some food like meat or fish. If the creature has sustained damage, eating food will restore some health back. With Magnesis, chasing an enemy with a metal box will cause it to run away in fear some times. Taking a weapon from an enemy will make them get angry at Link and there's a specific animation for each enemy type.
  • Internal Disputes. Players familiar with the Wind Waker can remember how it was possible for enemies to hit each other. Hit from weapons are not registered, but an enemy can damage an ally by throwing an object such as a rock or barrel. Elemental Aligned Enemies also can cause damage to their peers like burning, freezing or zapping them.
  • Enemies and Drowning. As it's known Bokoblins, Moblins and it's skeletal varieties can't swim, so it's easy to dispatch them qucikly, even silver ones, by throwing them in a body of water either with an attack or freezing and pushing them. There's a neat set up for the player to learn this at the base of Lanayru Tower. The enemies will be on top of wooden platforms above water that can be shot with arrows.
  • Wizrobes.Within the same element the apperance of this creature changes depending of the level of rod it uses. They can summon elemental Kesses and Chus, high level Wizrobe are able to summon big Chus.

With a dance they can summon Fire Storms, Thunder Storms or Blizards, when this happens it generates a micro weather causing the climate to change in the nearby area and it even cancels the "natural" weather before the summon. Example, a Firestorm will cancel rain. During a Fire Storm temps raise upto 121 F envolving the area in a heat haze. In a Blizzard it goes to 17F and the visibility around drops. Getting out of the micro Blizzard will make it rain briefly due to the sudden temperature change. In all cases Link takes enviromental damge if not clothed properly.
  • Lizalfos. They can swim in water or bogs. The element aligned ones can even do so in the appropiate environment like lava or freezing water. Electric Lizalfos will electrify water or metal objects just by getting near them.
  • A Foe's Boomerang. When unarmed is possible to catch a boomerang thrown by an enemy when it's flying back to it. Not to be outdone some times a Lizalfos will catch the Boomerang thrown to it.
  • Ignoring the Blights. If the player doesn't complete a Divine Beast, the corresponding Blight will be part of the final fight.
  • Blade Master Special Attack. This ground attack is designed with an special avoid mechanic in mind. The idea is for Link to his paraglider to get above it. The Blade Master has an unique animation where he loses track of Link and is momentarily confused and open for an attack.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01hbuyv.jpg
  • The Smithy Octoroks. The player can figure out that Octoroks can swallow & spit weapons because at Goronbi Lake the designers put a set of 5 weapons planted in the ground aligned with an Octork across a pool of lava. i think is one of the toughest puzzles in the game to figure out why the weapons are lay out like in that place.
  • Lynel. A Lynel that detects Link will directly stare at him and only begins attacking if unsheating a weapon.
  • Lynel Shield. This Shield can be used to attack by doing a parry input (A) with an AP of about 26.
  • Kilton Masks. Wearing a mask changes Link's posture & animation to mimic the creature he's disguised as.
  • Kilton Medals. When getting a medal, creatures already beaten will be marked with a * (star) next to it's helath bar.
  • Hunting. Killing a prey with a critical hit will increase the amount of spoils it drops.
  • Optimizing Fishing. Bomb and shock arrows work great. But also, fish types are lured by different shrooms. A hearty truffle attracts a Hearty Bass or Razor Shroom a Mighty Carp, this is uselful to gather fish close together before attacking them. The Fishing Arpoon Is a spear like weapon that doesn't sink in water, so it can be used to kill fish numerous times.
    One can get exotic with the fishing methods. Magnetize a chest and hit the fish with it or attract the lighting during a thunder storm to zap them.
  • A history of sign abuse. Keeping up with Zelda tradition some of the sign posts can be cut or blown up.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01s5jj4.jpg
  • Cooking under the spicy moon. It is known that food prepared under the red moon receives an stat boost, but the way the game informs the player about it is neat. In Gerudo town, inside the coocking school lays 2 recipe books, one of those out of Link's reach. If the player waits for nightfall when the Voe Class is over, the teacher arrives for cooking class. If Link examines the book at this time, one of the Gerudo students (since this race is tall) offers to read him the book. Among various advices is the red moon tip.
  • Going for the Low Hanging Fruit. Is possible to shoot down any hanging fruit with arrows, and keep both the fruit and the arrow. Apple, Durains, Voltfruit, Coconuts. An interesting thing to notcie is that ingredients that grow in cliff sides like Violets or Rushrooms can be easily collected by shooting them with the bow, however in this case the arrow is lost.
  • Eggcentricities. Attacking or scaring the Cuccos will make them lay eggs. Eggs can be coocked into omelets, boiled in hot water or roasted with fire. Is possible to lay down in the floor or brake it by throwing it. However braking an egg in Death Mountain doesn't produce a fried one, HUGHE oversight. XD
  • Hyrule Dark Themes. Some things that give the game an unexpecxted dark tone: A fire Wizrobe happily circling around the rests of a burned house. At Snow Field Stable, Monkton tells the tale about Mary and Harry, 2 horses that were his only childhood friends since he was growing in the middle of nowhere and how his recklessness costed their lives. Or the sad story of Koko's mom in kakariko.
  • Under a red moon Shrine. There are various tips that facilitate reaching this shrine, Hino at the Dueling Peaks Stable knows the moon phase at any time of the day. And most importantly killing enemy camps and mini bosses (Lynels, Hinox, Talus) will increase the chances for this type of moon to appear.
  • Divine Beast Connection. DBs have a trait that started with Wind Waker, this is that a dungeon can have a certain level of connection with the overworld. Time of day advances dynamically aboard a DivineBeast. Changes to the overworld are also reflected: Visible/discovered and completed shrines, Resurrection Towers and the ray of rescued Divine Beast.
  • Divine Beast Van Rutah. Is possible to board it withouth the use of Zora Armor. The player just needs good aim by shooting arrows up in an arc to hit the generators when riding on Zidon.
  • Unique Koroks? i would like this one proven or debunked. It seems to me that each of the 900 koroks has unique traits even if very subtle and slight ones. The main leaf that forms the head have various shapes and colors, and the facial features on them have a vast aount of shapes and positions.
________________________________________________________________________________________

NPC Reactions

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01l8a5u.jpg
  • Aproaching a NPC with Dark suit spooks them.
  • Mellie's Plum Trees. The old lady that doesn't let Link step on her Plum garden. One can destroy every tree using bombs or cutting them when she's not there at night. She becomes sad and mutters some extra dialog lines.
  • Talking to Pourah with no clothes makes her comment about the scars from the fight a 100 years ago. Talking to Robbie with no cloths elicites a similar reaction.
  • Azu and Sefaro (the kids spying the Techlab) get angry at Link when speaking to them from the front since he's obstructing the view.
  • Paya. Talk to her with no cloths equipped. Read her diary when she's in the room.
  • Selmie. Use Magnesis in one of the metal shields on the cabin. Or set fire to any of the wooden shields with a torch or fire arrows. Selmie might also express an special dialog line depending on what shield Link has equipped.
  • Magda (Flower Lady). Step 3 times in the bed of flowers that surround the shrine.
  • Aji the Goron Cook. Get on top of his stove.
  • Anche the ice keeper. Set a camp fire, use a Fire Rod inside or try entering the Gerudo Ice House with a lit torch.
  • Olkin the hypocrite. At night when he wife is not around to watch over the Plum garden he will call Link's attention if he sees him runing over there. Like with Mellie you can destroy the Plums and have a reaction from him. If you keep following him during his training, one can see Olkin stepping all over Steen carrots, if you catch him doing this there's an extra conversation to witness.
  • Dalia. In Gerudo Town, after completing the "water polution Quest" destroy the wild berry bushes when Dalia is present. See what happens.
  • Raised in a barn. In any of the busyness that have a counter, if Link is able to climb on top, it would probably elicit a reaction when talking to the NPC. Example, Tarry Town, Hateno Hotel, Hateno's Tech Lab.
  • Gerudo Shopping. There are various NPC reactions & extra lines of dialogue both from sellers and on lookers when buying all the items in a given store.
  • We don't know cameras but we love Selfies. Kind of puzzling to see people into the "Selfie Culture" in a world were cameras are mostly unknown. When entering the Slate Selfie Mode NPCs nearby will focus on the camera. More over, some characters will briefly stop what they are doing to focus on it: If casually walking by stop for a brief moment, if leaning the NPC will stand up or in other cases stop an animation.
  • Hino's Bloodlust. Go and see Hino at Dueling Peeks Stable when the red moon is raising.
  • Attacking Gorons. Goron are the only unarmed NPCs that actually fight back when Link constantly attacks them.
  • Adventuring with Birth Cloths. Characters that comment when Link wears no cloths: The Old Man. At Hateno: Sophie, Karson, Bolson, Sayge. At Rito Village: Laisa, Bedola, Junes, Huck. Hetsu. All the Stables in keepers.

Lizardus

Disclaimer: i had the courtesy to read the entire thread. The reason to repeat some things is because there are further details that might be interesting or because an explanation of the "set up" is included. By set up i mean the environmental details or clues that Nintendo established to guide the player towards a discovery. Think that is important to to talk about the "setup" otherwise it probably means the person sharing the detail read or heard it somewhere, instead of figuring it out on it's own.
  • Tapetum Lucidum. Or the reflective membrane inside the eyes of some animals. One can notice the eye shine at night in the dog eyes or cows for example.
  • Sheika Slate Errors. In the extreme temperatures of the volaco region the Sheika Slate displays an error message instead of the usual temp reading. Under sandstorm the signal from the Resurrection Towers is blocked so the map can't be displayed.
  • Looking at the Dye Shop walls in Hateno one can notcie posters describing the color afinities of the various ingredients used in the process.
  • Transition Areas.The change from cold snowy weather to a higher temperature one is marked by rain. Similary when ascending high enough, the rain drops turn to snow flakes. This is quite the attention to detail and i had notcie it enough to not be a coincidence i think.
  • Sheeps in the night. The sheeps in the Hateno village farm are normally scatered but in the late hours of the night will gather below trees. Anyone with farm experience is familiar with this behavior.
  • Items in Shops. The shops display in real time the exact number of available stock for each product. For example, by 1 out of 4 Sunsrooms displayed and 3 remain visible.
  • Fallen Leaves. The autum like fallen leave texture that causes Link to kick around leaves while walking over it, has infact it's own "flamability factor". It catches fire as easily as dried grass does.
  • Female Gerudo Disguise. The positive check for the disguise only involves the mask and the top. So one can, for example, equip the Sand Boots with the outfit and Link's cover won't be blown.
  • The 6th Mount. As we know it's posbile to register a total of 5 horses in a stable. However, the game does keep track on an additional mount. For example, if all the horses are in a stable and Link boards another one, the game tracks it across grids and even saves it's location.
  • Ignoring the Blights. If the player doesn't complete a Divine Beast, the corresponding Blight will be part of the final fight.
  • Blade Master Special Attack.[/b] This ground attack is designed with an special avoid mechanic in mind. The idea is that Link uses it's paraglider to get above it. The designers even programmed a special animation for the Blade Mater where he loses track of Link and is momentarily confused and open for an attack.
  • Shield Surfing. There's 3 main variables that affect the speed when shield surfing. The surface type, it's wetness and the type of shield equipped. One can test this by entering Selmie's Snowboarding trial or the Sand Seal race with different shields and comparing times. In my experience higher times were with the Lizalfols shield.
  • Internal Disputes. Players familiar with the Wind Waker can remember how it was possible for enemies to hit each other. Hit from weapons are not registered, but an enemy can damage an ally by throwing an object such as a rock or barrel. Elemental Aligned Enemies also can cause damage to their peers like burning, frezzinfg or sapping them.
  • Mellie's Plum Trees. She's the old lady that doesn't let Link step on her Plum garden. One can destroy every tree using bombs or cutting them when she's not there at night. She becomes sad and mutters some extra dialog lines.
  • Enemies and Drowning. As it's known Bokoblins, Moblins and it's Skeletal varieties can't swim, so it's easy to dispatch them qucikly, even the silver ones, by throwing them in a body of water either with an attack or frezzing and pushing them. However, there's a neat set up for the player to learn this when heading towards the Zora Resurrection Tower. The enemies will be on top of wooden platforms above water that can be shot with arrows.

On the other hand Lizalfos can swim in water or bogs. The element aligned ones can even do so in the appropiate environment like lave or freezing water.
  • Link to the rescue. Traveling the main roads is the easiest way to encounter NPCs and these travelers can get into trouble. There's a set of NPCs that are scripted to be attacked: The Truffle gathering ladies, the married couple in search of the Silent Princes or the Ruins Raiders for example. On the other hand there are similar sequences with NPCs that are not scripted. A merchant can get spooked by an enemy and if Link takes care of it, he will be rewarded with trinked from it's inventory free of charge.
  • General NPC Interactions. While quests in Wild aren't as elaborate as Majora's Masks, the NPCs are the most reactive ones in the series. The average character has a sleep cycle. It's aware of time of day, weather, enemies, fire and the dialogue bubble will reflect these conditions. NPCs can stray of the scripted path, run and even trip themseleves. They react to Link's agressions and the armed ones will even fight back, is specially funny watching Link get his ass kicked by Gerudo Guards when he crosses the line.

NPCs also often tend to have a closure or are affected by a "World Change State" even for trivial things. For example, a character that gave a quest will have a set of dialogue recognizing the closure of the given quest. This seems obviously dumb but past Zelda games weren that great with this. The interaction with the lady that talks about a method for resurrecting horses in one of the stables.

Great list, I didn't know some of these.

Top Bottom