• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil spencer's interview with The Guardian on Project Scorpio

Crayon

Can we try to stop calling $399 a mic drop moment? It wouldn't be. It sounds like a natural evolution of what Sony did with the pro. 12 months on with more ram and a highly clicked but similar size APU. It screams $399

This premium talk is all MS bullshit. It isn't a magical 4k/60 PC ultra box even though MS always seem to talk about Scorpio like that (indirectly - things like 'well you could spend thousands on a Titan SLI setup..) and it isn't going to cost $500

I think they'll get their mic drop but it won't be heard very far. There's no 500 dollar competitor to make 399 look good. "A lot of people thought it would be 499" is a flimsy substitute. It would have to be 299 to get the real impact. Probably not happening. Hence the 499 whisper campaign.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Xbox One launch at $499.99 isn't even four years in the past yet. They are talking this thing up in a way designed to make $399.99 come off as a surprise (basically what was said earlier in the thread).

With the PS4 bundles that will be available, and more Switch units getting pushed to retail, $499.99 would be an awkward position this holiday. I am a bit hesitant to accept the notion that they have learned absolutely nothing over the past three and a half years.

With all the talk about people expecting $499 and still buying one, I think perhaps it's *us* that haven't learned anything

Mooreberg

With all the talk about people expecting $499 and still buying one, I think perhaps it's *us* that haven't learned anything
That "us" is a rather small segment of the market. People on here bought a PS3 for $499 - $599 as well. That doesn't mean Sony didn't have to alter their approach with PS4. If this unit is intended to erode at least some of the gap with Sony in terms of global install base, they really cannot repeat the pricing decisions of 2013.

MilkyJoe

I think people need to learn about inflation and stop with the 399 or bust nonsense. 399 in 2013 is 420 today.

Salty Hippo

See it's posts like these that makes it clear to me why you are still a junior.

I got juniored for the period of 6 months for creating two threads that through no direct fault of my own resulted in fanboys shit slinging each other. It was a preventive measure and should be reverted soon. I couldn't care less about my member status, but it seems important to you so I thought I would share the details. And since we're on that, I also find the general condescension towards juniors one the saddest aspects of NeoGAF.

Now please let's stop derailing the thread.

anothertech

Wait... no TitanX sli version of Scorpio? What is this bullsht! Hopes and dreams dashed.

Well, based on this interview, I for one am willling to avatar bet ANYONE on this forum, Scorpio will be less than $2000 at launch. I mean he practically says it outright.

That anyone can get anything more out of this interview is simply absurd.

SOR5

I got juniored for the period of 6 months for creating two threads that through no direct fault of my own resulted in fanboys shit slinging each other. It was a preventive measure and should be reverted soon. I couldn't care less about my member status, but it seems important to you so I thought I would share the details. And since we're on that, I also find the general condescension towards juniors one the saddest aspects of NeoGAF.

Salty what's your opinion on Phil stating that first party games will see the same revitalisation and love as the platform OS and hardware has?

jett

D-Member
I think Phil is just setting this up so that people are surprised/impressed when the 399 price reveal comes along. It'd be dumbfounding if they actually release it at 499 or more. They already failed at that pricepoint before.

SOR5

When was this said? That is massive news.

Here: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-episodes-subscription-downloads-phil-spencer

”Right now the focus is really on the content that we're building," he says. ”I know I get some community pushback on our first-party [slate], and what position we're in, and I want to say to people: that same level of commitment you felt from myself and from the team as we've evolved platform over the last three years – as we've evolved service over the last three years, as we've evolved and innovated hardware over the last three years – is going on with our first party. I don't want to go and pre-announce a bunch of things, but we are upping our investment, there's no doubt about that."

FinalAres

I've changed my mind on $499. If consoles are currently going for $200 then who is going to pay more than double for a suped up version. This gen has passed me buy so I was assuming consoles were still $300. It has to be $399, anything else would be literally mental.

giphy.gif

Dehnus

I don't even know if $399 is a mic drop moment. Here on gaf sure, but most gamers look at Scorpio like it's Xbox's PS4 Pro. $399 has kind of become the expected price for new console hardware.

No..

399 + "Shipping to stores near you tomorrow!" = Mic Drop Moment.

gamz

I don't even know if $399 is a mic drop moment. Here on gaf sure, but most gamers look at Scorpio like it's Xbox's PS4 Pro. $399 has kind of become the expected price for new console hardware.

Depends how it's marketed and how it plays games. So far they've done are far better job than Pro.

I find it ironic you are complaint about people being condescending.

No it doesnt. Its for enthusiasts, thats what they know. $499 isnt an absurd price for a premium product that is tangibly more powerful then its competition.

It doesn't matter if the $499 is justified. With the amount of media they're giving it - they're hyping this thing up and down -, you can be pretty sure they're gonna get quite a bit of a backlash from the not-enthusiast crowd for obsoleting their consoles with a "premium priced" system.

gamz

It doesn't matter if the $499 is justified. With the amount of media they're giving it - they're hyping this thing up and down -, you can be pretty sure they're gonna get quite a bit of a backlash from the not-enthusiast crowd for obsoleting their consoles with a "premium priced" system.

Why? They have the lower cost One S. Did they get a blacklash on the elite controller?

People have no problem paying for premium.

Microsoft just has to figure out how much money they're willing to lose for how long. I can't even remember the last time a console was sold out of the gate with an actual profit margin. Maybe the Wii?

Hasn't Sony openly said that both the PS4 and PS4 Pro are sold at a profit? I believe that Switch is sold at a profit as well. Anyway, Microsoft's financials show that Xbox does just fine based on software and services. The Xbox division is also part of a much larger company that isn't really hurting in any way.

Sony and Nintendo need their consoles to push a profit, Microsoft does not.

Fatmanp

i think $499 is going to be more of a bundle price than a standard price. If they name it the X1 Elite and bundle in the Elite controller then $499 could be the price point. They would be much better off going for $499 with Forza and Crackdown imo.

Salty Hippo

Salty what's your opinion on Phil stating that first party games will see the same revitalisation and love as the platform OS and hardware has?

I don't know dude, it seems like that statement backfired pretty hard. Are you following the thread? My first post there is here if you want to read, lol.

Top Bottom