• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

Cerium

http://nintendotoday.com/analyst-says-mario-kart-8-deluxe-is-a-mega-hit/

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had a very successful launch on the Switch, selling 459,000 units on launch day in the US, making it the fastest selling Mario Kart game ever.

And Jefferies equity analyst Atul Goyal believes the game's success is more than just sales numbers, it shows the Switch as a viable console.

In a note to investors, Goyal advised them to buy Nintendo shares, and said about the success of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:

”No, this is not just any ordinary success. The scale of this success is many times bigger than what is visible with ‘MK8D sales of 459K units exceeded MKWii sales of 405K'. Analyzing the scale, we realize that like-for-like, MK8D is mega-hit on a different scale altogether (maybe 5-10x better)."

Analysts like Goyal did not expect Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to be a huge success on the Switch, mainly because it was already released on the Wii U. Goyal, among other Wall Street analysts, now believe that Nintendo's shares will see a rise in 2017.

Not only that, Goyal believes that Nintendo's operating profit this year will be ”well beyond the company's conservative guidance".

Just as Goyal released his investor's note, Nintendo shares hit an all time high for 2017.

Alienous

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

Madao

sequel to a 37 million seller. 'nuff said.

except that the Wii U hard capped it 3 years ago.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

Ah, man... The predictable eye-roller was almost first post.

Can't wait until more people can get should of Switches and MK8D.

I don't have any real knowledge about stocks and markets but I do feel comfortable saying I know Nintendo. When Nintendo was around $15 a share I felt it was a must buy. And once I saw mk8d sales, I made a new bold prediction: NTDOY will go up another ~50% to ~$45/share by the end of the FY.

Berordn

Why is the console doing so well if it's so starved for games, if the games aren't the driving force behind those sales?

Kouriozan

Analysts like Goyal did not expect Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to be a huge success on the Switch, mainly because it was already released on the Wii U. Goyal, among other Wall Street analysts, now believe that Nintendo’s shares will see a rise in 2017.

He forgot that nobody bought a Wii U, despite this game selling really well on it.

MisterHero

IMO record sales are gonna be hard given that it's racing the hardware total.

Wii had blown up months/years before MKWii, ditto on DS

Alienous

Why is the console doing so well if it's so starved for games, if the games aren't the driving force behind those sales?

Breath of the Wild was a driving force behind those sales. I'm speaking as a Switch owner, that the game drought makes Mario Kart 8 a must buy.

I wonder if it would have sold as well in an environment with competing AAA third-party games. It doesn't really have competition.

Soph

This is honestly not that impressive, Nintendo shares will always be sold to their core investors of about three million. Since Nintendo was close to dying due to droughts there's no reason for the stock not to go up. Goyal is also a Nintendo fanboy, I saw him presenting his daughter with a DS last summer.

Breath of the Wild was a driving force behind those sales. I'm speaking as a Switch owner, but the game drought makes Mario Kart 8 a must buy.

I wonder if it would have sold as well in an environment with competing AAA third-party games.

Mario Kart is a huge franchise. Look at its sales on Wii and even Wii U. Most AAA third-party games don't come close.

This is honestly not that impressive, Nintendo shares will always be sold to their core investors of about three million. Since Nintendo was close to dying due to droughts there's no reason for the stock not to go up. Goyal is also a Nintendo fanboy, I saw him presenting his daughter with a DS last summer.

LOL

Even when Nintendo is successful, they're still not successful.

Breath of the Wild was a driving force behind those sales. I'm speaking as a Switch owner, that the game drought makes Mario Kart 8 a must buy.

I wonder if it would have sold as well in an environment with competing AAA third-party games. It doesn't really have competition.
You're saying this like Mario Kart hasn't sold well for decades, including on systems with solid libraries.

leroidys

Is my sarcasm detector broken?

It's a fantastic piece of tech (with a few puzzling design decisions). As far as the general public is concerned the Wii U never existed, thus we have a freight train (so far).

I don't know if this kind of post is satire at this point.
Why would it be? Name another marquee game on the Switch besides Zelda.

spekkeh

Banned
In under two months it has 13 80+ games, and 3 90+ games.
That's more like it.

zewone

Every console sells well at launch and Nintendo hardware has some hype/resell value currently thanks to NES Classic and launch shortages.

Not to say that the Switch won't be successful, but it's a bit premature.

Even Nintendo enthusiasts have to admit the software line up is lacking at this point so major titles like MK8 should be selling well when there is not a lot of options.

Alienous

You're saying this like Mario Kart hasn't sold well for decades, including on systems with solid libraries.

I'm not intending to. I'm just saying that it selling better, relatively, than other Mario Karts on consoles that had bigger install bases seems like it could be the result of it lacking competition on the system. That makes more sense to me than 'it's just that good'.

It's a fantastic piece of tech (with a few puzzling design decisions). As far as the general public is concerned the Wii U never existed, thus we have a freight train (so far).

Why would it be? Name another marquee game on the Switch besides Zelda.
"Marquee" is an unnecessary limitation to put on this discussion. The guy he was quoting also just made a general "Switch has no games." argument. Which at this point is silly to make. The thing has plenty of good games.

Alebrije

Even when Nintendo is successful, they're still not successful.

images

TheFuzz

Every console sells well at launch and Nintendo hardware has some hype/resell value currently thanks to NES Classic and launch shortages.

Even Nintendo enthusiasts have to admit the software line up is lacking at this point so major titles like MK8 should be selling well when there is not a lot of options.

These kind of posts are getting silly.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it would have.

People buy Nintendo consoles for these types of experiences.

This will never happen. Everyone keeps saying they are DROWNING in games. I don't understand why the truth bothers so many people.

spekkeh

Banned
Translated to regular people: Right now it might look like Mario Kart 8D, but really it's Mario Kart 8=========D.

Top Bottom