• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So minecraft on Switch is gonna be huge right?

Tom_Cody

It seems like a pretty big deal that minecraft is releasing on the Switch next week, yet I don't see much hype about it. Though I guess minecraft isn't really on gaming news sites anymore since it doesn't really need the help with sales.
Minecraft's primary demographics are not the same as neogaf's demographics. It will be huge saleswise but there won't necessarily be a huge footprint on gaf about it.

Widge

Is it mainly just building? I've seen that there can be monsters, so survival as well?

I'm going to have to look to see if there's a demo.

The gamey part of the game is incredibly light. There is gubbins about the Nether and the End that I've just not got into.

Essentially, if you like the reward of seeing your craft start to take shape over time, you'll get a kick.

I mean, I started off building a wood shack. Then a little barn next to it. An underground vault. A black smiths. My mine is becoming more and more sprawling, especially as I start to chip away at walls to make it less of a warren to get around and more of a huge space.

I've started to make a road with lights that eventually go up a hill where there is a castle at the top of it.

As I say, it's all about your own drive. My next plans were to make a winding descent to an underground city. To continue fleshing out my overworld with a walled town.

Don't even bother with exploring and whatnot. Very good absent minded game for public transport while listening to music. I don't even have monsters turned on. I just like tunnelling away and creating, but not in the Creative Mode "you can fly and here are all the materials" fashion.

deadfolk

I've seen so much stuff about MC over the years, I can't even remember what's in mods and what's in vanilla any more.

In vanilla, are there any facilities for setting up automatic mining / refining / production chains or anything of the sort? That would be a big part of the appeal to me...not just creating structures, but things that actually do stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it mainly just building? I've seen that there can be monsters, so survival as well?

I'm going to have to look to see if there's a demo.

If it's mainly just relaxing and building things I don't think it's for me. I'll probably just wait for Animal Crossing for my next portable time sink.

Building, survival, exploration, online shared worlds building and exploring with others

I go through phases of building/exploring. Love spelunking in caves

Ridley327

They didn't spend billions of dollars to keep people from playing the game.

Btw isn't Minecraft usually $20?

It is on consoles, but this comes with the Super Mario expansion that adds a lot to the game.

I've suspected that they are trying to quietly raise the price of the game at least at retail, as the standard version of Minecraft on Xbox One comes with several skin packs to justify its own price hike. Nothing for PS4 yet, but I imagine that's only a matter of time.

$40 would be ideal for the switch version
$60 would be insane tbh

I'm in when it's $40

I think it'll be big

Isn't it launching digitally first at $30? I know that's the price in the U.S. at least. Either way, I agree that this will be absolutely huge. Taking the same world with you literally anywhere will be a big selling point. The Mario DLC doesn't hurt either, but it'll mainly be about switching between on and off TV play.

dl77

I've suspected that they are trying to quietly raise the price of the game at least at retail, as the standard version of Minecraft on Xbox One comes with several skin packs to justify its own price hike. Nothing for PS4 yet, but I imagine that's only a matter of time.

Shame games don't work like that in general. Imagine if when you first buy them they're £20/$20 but as they're patched, fixed and updates etc become available they then start to go up in price so those who were there day one and have helped (ish) to improve the title get the game at the best price.

My seven year old brother has been obsessed with Minecraft on PC for the past three or so years. He spends so many hours building, crafting, even watching tutorial videos. His school even encourages it with coding projects and activities.

He's been absorbed with Breath of the Wild for the last two months, though. But once Minecraft hits Switch... oh boy. A portable Minecraft on a cute Nintendo tablet that easily plugs into the HDTV? I envy the excitement he'll have.

7 year old gets coding projects - my education feels inferior

Mokujin

I have always been surprised at how well sold on vita, so it should perform nicely on Switch. Don't really know how the digital only release and later physical will affect sales though.

Ridley327

I have always been surprised at how well sold on vita, so it should perform nicely on Switch. Don't really know how the digital only release and later physical will affect sales though.

Not much, since that's been the release strategy of every console release for Minecraft. Digitally or physically, it's a monster.

baconcow

The only negative aspect of the Switch edition, holding me back, is that portable mode has a pretty low view distance (7 chunks). This is lower than the Wii U version and docked version.

OmegaFax

The only negative aspect of the Switch edition, holding me back, is that portable mode has a pretty low view distance (7 chunks). This is lower than the Wii U version and docked version.

Really? Was this shown on that developer livestream? I thought the only difference between docked/undocked was going to be the resolution.

I wonder if this does well enough and switch continues selling so well if MS might put more games on the switch, obviously not their big games but could be some easy money for them
They didn't follow up the PS3/V/4 versions with anything else.
Relevant question: How "big" is the 3072 square-block map size used in the Switch version? I've played a little Minecraft before and it seems like a great fit for Switch, but friends who play the PC version a lot say this is really small. $30 seems a little high for me as it is, so I would hate to buy and play for a bit and then quickly run into a wall.
Depends how crazy you want to get with it, really. On PC the world I spent the most time in (probably a hundred+ hours over the course of a month?) that wouldn't have caused any problems, but I was mostly content gathering and building up things around the starting area rather than searching far and wide for specific biomes.

Blocks are supposed to represent a meter, so in volume that's about 3x3x0.25 totally modifiable kilometers.
dl77 said:
Not sure if you're being serious but I can't imagine there'll even be a Minecraft 2. It's basically a service now so I'd have thought it'll just continue to be improved through updates.
I have to think at some point they'd want to make a few more bucks off the tens of millions of PC/mobile buyers rather than giving them free upgrades forever. How they do that successfully, search me.
Why the hell would you want coding at 7 be happy you should be playing with clay
I started toying with BASIC about that age.

10 INPUT A$
20 PRINT A$; " is dumb."

Digital clay, man.
This is a more general comment than just Minecraft, but it's surprised me that in the major projects we see appearing on both Wii U and Switch, it's Nintendo's that come out much better. Coming from people who have been working on the IBM/ATI tech of GameCube and its successors for 15 years I might've expected some growing pains porting things to much more standard NVIDIA hardware, but instead their projects like Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 seem to turn out better on Switch than games like LEGO City Undercover and Minecraft from third parties who don't have such an excuse. But yeah, undocked having significantly lower draw distance than even the X360 version is pretty lame.

Why the hell would you want coding at 7 be happy you should be playing with clay
Age 7 is when you're doing basics like reading, righting, math, etc, not just doing finger painting and having naps.

Coding that young would have been incredibly useful. It can also be fun too, if the assignments are done well. I always loved doing computer lab when it was just doing typing games and games where I learned a bit about electricity while playing it.

I didn't do any coding until college (didn't even know if my high school offered it) and at that point I was really behind a large portion of the class.

If my girlfriend and I both have our own Switch systems and we each have a copy of Minecraft, do we still have to deal with split screen when we play together or do we each get a full screen? Has that been answered anywhere? (Sorry if it has, all I know for sure is 2 people can play with 1 Switch in split screen)

Dremorak

Banned
Japanese eshop has the price at 3880~ yen which is 35 usd.

It will probably be 50-60nzd on the nz eshop. Thank god for multi region eshop access

13ruce

Banned
Yeah will sell pretty good + local coop it will be huge in Japan atleast for sure.

And for the rest of the world? Probably too but probably even more so when the physical version is out.

mcrommert

Banned
It's host based at launch, but at E3 2016 they talked about getting Minecraft Realms to consoles "next year", which are dedicated paid servers.

Yeah only Xbox one has been announced officially... I could see it coming to switch but doubt on ps4... It runs on live

Wil348

Any word on a UK price yet? In the U.S it costs the same as Wii U edition so I'm guessing £20 for Switch edition?

Any word on a UK price yet? In the U.S it costs the same as Wii U edition so I'm guessing £20 for Switch edition?

The Wii U version was released prior to us becoming glorious brexitland with worthless money, they wont be that generous with the exchange rates

bman94

I'm surprised people not making a big deal out of a truly portable Minecraft. The mobile versions were always an ends to a means.

baconcow

Really? Was this shown on that developer livestream? I thought the only difference between docked/undocked was going to be the resolution.

Some information, as well as the source Twitch link, can be found here. I should clarify that I used view distance interchangeably with rendering distance.

u/amiibolite said:
• Render distance in single player docked mode is either 11 or 12 chunks. Apparently (the UI is telling) the game still renders at 720p on docked mode.
• On Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U: the render distance was 10 chunks.
• On undocked Switch, the render distance is 7 chunks, which is closer to the Vita's render distance of 5 chunks. Minecraft on Wii U took a sizable FPS hit when 32x32 texture packs were involved, so this might be the reason why.
• The PS4/Xbox One version has an 18 chunk render distance at 1080p.

So, while we get a much larger world than the Wii U version, it renders at a much lower distance, which IMO is unfortunate if you plan on playing portable (undocked). Also, 720p at both portable and docked is unfortunate.

It's Minecraft, it'll do well regardless of what platform it gets put on. I don't think it's going to be any bigger than it is on the other platforms save for Wii U and Mobile though, probably Vita too.

I'm not even gonna front, Minecraft is one of the reasons I bought a switch. It's the perfect on the go game. Got 2 minutes? Lay a few blocks. Got an hour? Build a big ass house. It's pretty damned phenomenal.

Hattori

Banned
I've never played minecraft but ever since playing DQ Builders I've been interested in trying it out. Hopefully it's as good as people make it out to be.

Isn't Minecraft like, insanely huge on mobile?
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Pocket_Edition
As of December 2013, Pocket Edition had sold 16.5 million copies, while in the same time, PC had sold 13 million. These calculations came out after the 0.8.0 update.[36]

On December 2, 2016, Marsh Davies announced that Pocket Edition had sold over 40 million copies[37] (at the time, PC had sold over 24 million).
Wait, it runs at 720p? How is it not running 1080p?
Whereas most games use the docked/undocked GPU difference towards higher resolution, this game instead puts it towards more draw distance. Why Switch-class hardware can only do ~12 chunk draw distance at 720p is still pretty bad, though. I would've guessed that for the undocked version.

most kids already be playing this on phones and tablets and will already have a console version at home.

It will sell well, but no reason to set the world on fire

Pretty much. Kids are already totally fine with the mobile versions. A Switch version will sell well, but it's not really bringing anything new for them.

Top Bottom