• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

Shoeless

Looking forward to giving this a try. Hopefully Sega and Bamco take note and start thinking about porting their old arcade light gun games over.

In a perfect world, Konami would look at this think "Maybe it's time to dust off Silent Scope and bring it over to VR."

Kyolux

Looking forward to giving this a try. Hopefully Sega and Bamco take note and start thinking about porting their old arcade light gun games over.

In a perfect world, Konami would look at this think "Maybe it's time to dust off Silent Scope and bring it over to VR."

Would love Silent Scope VR. One of my favourite arcade games of all time.

Unison

This seems to be sold out on BestBuy and Amazon.

I was going to pre-order (20% off GCU/Prime), but I guess I need to wait for reviews now.

Bummer.

Ogni-XR21

My bundle should arrive tomorrow, really hyped for this one. A friend of mine is getting it too, looking forward to try co-op with him.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I still don't understand what this game is even after watching a few 'preview event' videos on youtube.

Is it a traditional FPS in VR? Is it on-rails? Footage showed nothing but the players gasping in awe at deserted alien vistas and then unloading ammo into bug spawns with little to no real thought beyond "pray and spray".

Just curious if there is a proper preview or footage that helps me understand what is this game actually is. Even the OP isn't very particular on details.

I still don't understand what this game is even after watching a few 'preview event' videos on youtube.

Is it a traditional FPS in VR? Is it on-rails? Footage showed nothing but the players gasping in awe at deserted alien vistas and then unloading ammo into bug spawns with little to no real thought beyond "pray and spray".

Just curious if there is a proper preview or footage that helps me understand what is this game actually is. Even the OP isn't very particular on details.
FPS im VR, not a rail shooter. Works just like RE7.

Shoeless

Really interested by this but i am still worrying i get motion sickness from the vr...

If you're not sure where your comfort level lies yet with regard to movement, then try it on the safest settings first. The game comes with the "teleport" option, where you just instantly zap from place to place, but it also has traditional FPS movement controls, which have the greatest chance of causing VR motion sickness for people not yet acclimated to it.

Work your way up and see where you start feeling dizzy/nauseous, if it happens at all. If it does, back down and go back to safer settings.

VexyWexy

Just got my copy a day early from Amazon <3 About to squeeze in some time before I go to work. It's taking all my willpower not to call in sick right now, heh.

Shoeless

Just got my copy a day early from Amazon <3 About to squeeze in some time before I go to work. It's taking all my willpower not to call in sick right now, heh.

Your will power is doing a disservice to us all. No one here will hold it against you if you ignore it...

valeu

info about playing with DS4 for those of us without an aim: "We support the DualShock 4 controller, but we just take full advantage of its positional tracking. So it actually offers a very similar experience. You still have the 1-to-1 tracking; you still aim by moving the controller around. You still look down the sights by lifting the DualShock so the sights are lined up with your eye. So we were able to bring a lot of that Farpoint VR gameplay to the DualShock 4 controller as well. We just wanted to maintain that same core experience. Obviously we think that the Aim Controller is the way to play it. Holding it in two hands really adds to the immersion as using the controller really matches what you are seeing in the game - plus it works a lot better as well."......RE7 was plenty immersive, sitting and using a DS4. i'm not worried

Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts?? Really interested to see reviews after all the positive previews I read!

Waiting patiently for mine to arrive from Amazon!

I guess they didn't make enough of these. I preordered the bundle the day it became available, fortunately. Hopefully more stock shows up soon for those who want it.

VexyWexy

Please post some quick impressions for us.

Playing on a Pro, image quality is great. Aim Controller feels real good. Turning defaults to OFF, I put it on smooth and now it's just a straight up FPS in VR, love it.

Those little spidery fuckers flying at my face is horrifying though, jesus.

Hopefully I can find a bundle in the wild sometime tomorrow, I definitely want to experience this with the Aim controller.

$80 is a damn good price all things considered.

Unison

Playing on a Pro, image quality is great. Aim Controller feels real good. Turning defaults to OFF, I put it on smooth and now it's just a straight up FPS in VR, love it.

Those little spidery fuckers flying at my face is horrifying though, jesus.

Sounds good.

Tomorrow, I hunt.

bumpkin

The one time I want my preorder to show up early, it won't be here until tomorrow. Meanwhile, I got Gears of War 4 two days before the official release date.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gears, but I am way more excited about this than I was for GOW4.

Karak

info about playing with DS4 for those of us without an aim: "We support the DualShock 4 controller, but we just take full advantage of its positional tracking. So it actually offers a very similar experience. You still have the 1-to-1 tracking; you still aim by moving the controller around. You still look down the sights by lifting the DualShock so the sights are lined up with your eye. So we were able to bring a lot of that Farpoint VR gameplay to the DualShock 4 controller as well. We just wanted to maintain that same core experience. Obviously we think that the Aim Controller is the way to play it. Holding it in two hands really adds to the immersion as using the controller really matches what you are seeing in the game - plus it works a lot better as well."......RE7 was plenty immersive, sitting and using a DS4. i'm not worried

ya I beat it using both in a mix and DS4 is fine
EDIT. I should be clear that its fine in comparions to being able to play the game along side say the Aim controller. Not that either work stunningly well.

Hopefully I can find a bundle in the wild sometime tomorrow, I definitely want to experience this with the Aim controller.

$80 is a damn good price all things considered.

The GCU Best Buy discount works on this bundle btw. I used that and had $10 in rewards points which made it $58.71 after tax. Awesome price for a game and controller.

The GCU Best Buy discount works on this bundle btw. I used that and had $10 in rewards points which made it $58.71 after tax. Awesome price for a game and controller.

I'll definitely have to stop by a Best Buy tomorrow to take advantage of the GCU discount. I didn't realize the game was coming out so soon so I forgot to pre-order a controller bundle but considering that some places like Amazon US are listing the bundle as "Currently unavailable" should indicate that demand is in line with what they expected to sell at launch.

Is the campaign really only suppose to be 4-6 hours? I was expecting a lot more for $50, unless the Arcade Mode stuff is fairly substantial. Hm, I may still get it tomorrow, but I won't lie, that makes me hesitant.

Is player movement pretty locked down or can I play in free-move get-sick mode?

I want to know this too. Easiest way for a VR game to turn me off is to lock me down with a bunch of bullshit that is supposed to stop me from getting sick. It usually does the opposite.

bosh

Finally shipped! Can't wait to look like even more of a fool in VR!

Also excited about the new announcement of other games supporting the Aim controller. Hopefully well see that trend continue through the year.

nampad

Still looking for a place that only sells the aim controller over here in Germany -_-
I want my VR games digital.

parabolee

I want to know this too. Easiest way for a VR game to turn me off is to lock me down with a bunch of bullshit that is supposed to stop me from getting sick. It usually does the opposite.

And I am the opposite. The easiest way for a VR game to be unplayable is for it not to include some anti-motion sickness locomotion options. Because I literally can not play for 5 minutes without feeling horribly sick for over an hour afterwards!!!

This is why all VR games should include both options! Arizona Sunshine did a great job with that, so does The Solus Project.

From what I have seen of Farpoint it is full locomotion, and I have seen no teleporting option. Which worries me. Have my motion sickness pills on standby but they only help a little.

You're free!

Managed to preorder one at Costco here in the GTA. Everywhere else is sold out.

Shoeless

From what I have seen of Farpoint it is full locomotion, and I have seen no teleporting option. Which worries me. Have my motion sickness pills on standby but they only help a little.

The devs have already said that both teleporting and smooth motion options are included in Farpoint, and "in-between" solutions as well, similar to what they have in games like RE7 and Here They Lie.

D23

just posting some Reddit impressions... just because you know hype!

Through level 1 (no spoilers) (tried standing (it was fine).. and sitting (liked it better))
The opening just had me GIGGLING. I so want a full game w/ movement that has that environment. Amazing immersion, graphics are top notch.
Actors: Incredible, great voice talent and .. as "cartoony?" as they look, they seem like people more than any other game I've ever played. Full facial emotion, full speech (I swear someone could lip-read!) .. and.. there is a light behind their eyes. Impressive.
Game really starts (TURN ON SMOOTH MOVEMENT) ..
Annoying: they tell you to tap options but they don't tell you were the option button is. (forward hand, right button.)
Annoying: forward stick movement FOLLOWS WHERE YOUR GUN IS POINTED. Really really annoying, no way to turn that off. Then, as if by magic, I forgot how much it annoyed me and was able to just "move" without worrying about it and it felt OK.
Sounds: superb. Little ticks and tweaks, 3D audio is spot on.
Graphics: Brown. lol. But sharp brown.
AIM controller: Incredible. Stunningly accurate and zero "help" as advertised. It shoots where you aim, love it. Infinite ammo (YAY!) with "overheat" protection. Nice. Gun feels great and looks great in game. You forget you're holding plastic. Hell, you forget you're playing a game. I took the helmet off after the first level and had the most "readjustment" of any game I've ever played in VR.. really seemed completely "there" and being back in the real world was odd.
BIG TEST: my son just doesn't care for VR, never has. All games he "MEH's" and walks away. He L O V E D farpoint. Screamed like a little girl and said "NO NO NO TAKE IT OFF NO NO NO" a bunch of times, then laughed and kept on shooting. By the end of the first level he was accurate w/o sights.. I was very impressed.
So far (and I'm pretty hard to please) ..
Aim controller: 10. Freaking 12. It's perfect.
Game: So far.. 10. Freaking 12! It's.. so immersive and sharp .. totally onboard with the story.. I really don't have anything negative to say (other than I wish you could move FORWARD regardless of where the gun is pointing)
12 out of 10 would buy from again.

Ok, maybe I'm easy to impress but this game is amazing. Immersion is on par with Resident Evil but you don't feel this constant dread just some tension :) Graphics is easily on par with Resident too, maybe even better because yard outside of Baker's mansion on OG PS4 was looking pretty shitty to be honest :) I guess it's easier to make sand than leaves ;) There are some clever gimmicks like sandstorms helping to obscure some flaws with graphics but I don't mind if it looks like natural part of the environment. Inside of the caves was looking amazing, and i hope along the way will be more variety of environments. Feeling of the Aim in your hands is amazing and aiming is so natural, that even the novice can take it and start playing immediately. Feeling of the rumble helps with immersion, even thou more sophisticated haptic feedback would be amazing. Game has full localization with voice actors too, very nice stuff :) Ok, I'm going back to the game :)
A little underwhelming is that it's so linear, it's not far from on rails shooter. I guess single player will not have replayability of other games. I'm hoping that the coop mode will be good enough.

Psykotik

played a little bit with free movement. fps in vr!

shot up a bunch of spiders, didnt play too far in. the only disappointing thing ive seen so far is your in game shadow. really stiff unnatural animation there. plus i find the walking to be too smooth. would like for there to be an option for head bobbing for those with vr legs.

also, i found my virtual head a bit too low and it kept clipping into my body whenever i looked down. might need to adjust my in game height i think. or my camera placement.

Psykotik

also, i LOVE the way they implemented aiming down sights. you bring up your gun sights to your eye and you can see a crosshair in the scope for more accurate aiming! really cool moment.

D23

also, i LOVE the way they implemented aiming down sights. you bring up your gun sights to your eye and you can see a crosshair in the scope for more accurate aiming! really cool moment.

ahhh sooo hyped right now! can't wait for tomorrow.

Top Bottom