• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 6 won't be at E3 but 343 has a "little" something to show

After every failure: "We're learning and it will be better."

"It's been such a learning experience" and something about "passionate fans". Can you imagine how bad it would've been if they'd actually had to build up their own fanbase rather than just get given one?

Detective

Halo 4 is whatever for me. It was their first attempt at a Halo game. It’s a decent game, but a bad Halo game.

Fucking MCC is what pisses me off more than anything. Ok, so you release a fucked up game. You put out a couple of patches and just fucking give up. They just left the game and said. “Whatever H5 is coming out next year, don’t worry about it!” They gave us ODST for free which was pretty cool. However, I guarantee that it was already planned and they would have charged for it, if MCC wasn’t such a clusterfuck. They also gave us one fucking map for H2A. H2A was such wasted potential. If MCC wasn’t fucked up at launch and they actually supported it. I’m willing to bet it would have a higher population than H5.

Now let’s talk about H5. The gameplay is actually good. However, 343i management of it is just shit; just horrible decisions constantly. 343i can make a good game, but they don’t know wtf to do after it’s finished.

There is nothing good about Halo 5 beside gameplay, and that's not a positive thing.

Technically it's underwhelming, graphically is average , framerates are bad, connections are bad , constantly problems, every update fix one thing and breaks two.

MM system are bad, rotations are bad , menu are bad, lobby are the worse etc etc etc

Voice pack causes black screen, joke.

wwm0nkey

Both. The answer is both.

I don't see why they couldn't make a couple of spin offs trying different things.

I feel like Open world shooters are always never that fun. ODST was the closest we had to a Metroid Halo and I think it was the perfect level of "Open" for a Halo game to be. That needs to be where Halo goes.

Also after playing Mario Kart 8....Can Halo have a map voting system similar to that? It's so nice

wwm0nkey

No, let's have rotations cuz people like to play the same map over and over.

Well I think you can combine the idea. Have 4 random maps (and actual good rotation of them) and let people vote and then roulette those choices.

I do like random picks too though. Better than the MCC system imo

I agree with this. They ran the franchise to the ground with repeating stupid mistakes. I'm confident that they will never learn at this point. Or they can go to The Coalition to give them some lessons.
Let's be honest. 343's biggest mistake was keeping armor abilities from halo reach in Halo 4, a problem Bungie originally created. Gotta remember they've only really made 2 games. I don't know what went wrong with tmcc, but I still don't believe it was all on 343. Though you can argue that H2A was actually pretty good. Halo 5's campaign was lackluster but you can tell 343 is turning things around with matchmaking.

I guess I'm just over the "being done" or angry with 343 mentality. I'll always love halo and always hope it returns to its former glory. Halo 6 is the next opportunity so I hope again lol.

psyfi

Banned
The thing that pisses me off most about MCC is that they continued selling the game without fixing it. They even bundled it in with Xbox Ones! Like, if they honestly made and launched a broken game unknowingly and still aren't able to fix it months later (let alone years), then it's time to pull it from the market till you get your shit together.

Halo 5 has made me feel mostly positive about 343, but man is MCC such a disaster. I know it's not totally their fault, but still.

Screw open world Halo. Give me that sweet sweet Metroid styled Halo
I'd be cool with that as a spin off, but I don't see it working out as the new campaign motif across the next few mainline games, which is what I'd want out of an open world approach. I'm not a huge fan of open world games overall, but I could see it really working out with Halo. Halo gameplay already encourages exploration and experimentation, and the vehicle sandbox is so rich. The biggest problem is making the world too big, which might be hard to avoid if they want to give a solid sense of scale. And they'd have to figure out how to retain the heavily curated combat encounters and set pieces.

I agree with this. They ran the franchise to the ground with repeating stupid mistakes. I'm confident that they will never learn at this point. Or they can go to The Coalition to give them some lessons.

Thats exactly why i feel 343 dont have the right people in charge. First of all, it doesn't make any sense that they're still making so many glaring obvious mistakes at this point. I mean seriously, how was halo2 not the 'lesson' for halo5. Its honestly baffling.

Then you have the Coalition who make their first gears game and nail it. They managed this even without you playing as Markus. Really? The game sounds like gears, plays like gears and feels like gears. You say they need lessons jokingly, but i think they do seriously.

343 dont have any idea what halo fans want. Not one clue and the passed 10 years are proof enough of it. Ive lost all hope in this studio.

I would love a single player Halo game where you play as a marine and have to survive a Flood Apocalypse something like Halo 3: ODST
nmc73Qr.jpg

wwm0nkey

I'd be cool with that as a spin off, but I don't see it working out as the new campaign motif across the next few mainline games, which is what I'd want out of an open world approach. I'm not a huge fan of open world games overall, but I could see it really working out with Halo. Halo gameplay already encourages exploration and experimentation, and the vehicle sandbox is so rich. The biggest problem is making the world too big, which might be hard to avoid if they want to give a solid sense of scale. And they'd have to figure out how to retain the heavily curated combat encounters and set pieces.

That's why I want it to be ODST levels of open. Maybe just a bittttt more, but I think ODST did a good job at doing open flow Halo. Now just combine that with some Metroid stuff and we are good (ex: you have to find your suits armor abilities)

Halo 4 had a fantastic campaign and a multiplayer that needed some work, but it was a good effort.

Halo 5 they took a huge risk with the story and tried to expand the universe with a main entry instead of what should have been a side story game. I applaud the risk they took, but it was a major fumble. The Multiplayer on the other hand is stellar and the hate on it is undeserved.

Halo 6 if they take the type of story telling they did from 4 and build upon what they have created with halo 5 and make sure forge is ready to go on day 1 it could be something special

Kssio_Aug

There is nothing good about Halo 5 beside gameplay, and that's not a positive thing.

Technically it's underwhelming, graphically is average , framerates are bad, connections are bad , constantly problems, every update fix one thing and breaks two.

We may have played different games, cause I dont remember Halo 5 having frame rate issues, it was very smooth! I also think that the game looks really good, considering the stable 60 frames per second and the hardware its running in.

shoreu

They fucked up the aiming in the final release. In the beta it was perfect, most fun I ever had. But in the final release it just feels wrong :/
I would still love to know if you can reproduce the beta aiming with the settings they added.

The aiming wasn't perfect but I still don't mar the game for that

Also accel at 2 and I changed my deadzones around and it feels pretty damn good now

Finaj

I'll be honest, I didn't even know there were aiming problems until I looked at complaints online. I still don't notice them *shrug*

Outrun

Halo 4 had a fantastic campaign and a multiplayer that needed some work, but it was a good effort.

Halo 5 they took a huge risk with the story and tried to expand the universe with a main entry instead of what should have been a side story game. I applaud the risk they took, but it was a major fumble. The Multiplayer on the other hand is stellar and the hate on it is undeserved.

Halo 6 if they take the type of story telling they did from 4 and build upon what they have created with halo 5 and make sure forge is ready to go on day 1 it could be something special

This is my feeling also.

They could literally spend all their efforts on SP and MP maps and we would be golden.

Outrun

Thats exactly why i feel 343 dont have the right people in charge. First of all, it doesn't make any sense that they're still making so many glaring obvious mistakes at this point. I mean seriously, how was halo2 not the 'lesson' for halo5. Its honestly baffling.

Then you have the Coalition who make their first gears game and nail it. They managed this even without you playing as Markus. Really? The game sounds like gears, plays like gears and feels like gears. You say they need lessons jokingly, but i think they do seriously.

343 dont have any idea what halo fans want. Not one clue and the passed 10 years are proof enough of it. Ive lost all hope in this studio.

Halo fans have no idea what they want.

Some want sprint, some don't.

Some want split screen, some couldn't care less.

Some want BTB, others are all about small games and maps.

I would not be so hard on 343i. If every dev learnt everything that they could from experience, Bungie would not have given us Destiny Vanilla...

psyfi

Banned
That's why I want it to be ODST levels of open. Maybe just a bittttt more, but I think ODST did a good job at doing open flow Halo. Now just combine that with some Metroid stuff and we are good (ex: you have to find your suits armor abilities)
Yeah, that'd probably be better, I just love the idea of a game that takes place on a complete, connected Halo ring. I remember talking about the possibilities of a Halo MMO on the Xbox 2 back on B.net back in 2004. Can't let the dream die!

rokkerkory

Take all the time you need 343 to give us a halo game we really want. We only want to play as MC with amazing SP ala H1 or H3 but make sure it looks amazing too. MP give us something like H2 or H5.

Just give the fans what they want and dont try to experiment.

Dlacy13g

I say it's early access to Halo 6 beta with purchase of Crackdown 3. The original formula made Crackdown a success...why not repeat for this revival?

wwm0nkey

Yeah, that'd probably be better, I just love the idea of a game that takes place on a complete, connected Halo ring. I remember talking about the possibilities of a Halo MMO on the Xbox 2 back on B.net back in 2004. Can't let the dream die!

I would love that as well. Just have controlled areas that seamlessly fit together but also have different biomes you can travel/teleport to because traveling and entire Halo ring will never ever happen. Then in each biome have places that are "locked off" until you find the ability you need so you can have some structure to the game as well.

So maybe like 4 major areas total that are all about ODST sized would be fucking amazing.

I would not be so hard on 343i. If every dev learnt everything that they could from experience, Bungie would not have given us Destiny Vanilla...

There are ways to please as many people as possible. For one:

- dont remove shit the franchise has always had, like local split-screen. Gears4 has it and im sure the % of people that use it is very small, but nevertheless it fucking has it.

- Gears4 also has all its MP gametypes. They didnt go backwards and remove any. Why is juggernaut gone? Wheres King of the hill? Why were some of these like assault added via forge and not built into the game to work on all maps? I mean so many dumbass decisions that would go a long way if done right.

- As for BTB, the gametype as been in halo since the start so obviously dont remove it and dont fill it with half assed forge maps.

Some things are common sense if youve always played Halo. There are expectations that 343 seem completely oblivious about and these guys are supposedly a studio filled with halo fans... really?

I mean if they dont know what to do then they should just look at what Disney did with star wars or look at what the coalition did with gears 4. Respect the franchises passed, dont just piss all over it.

And if they cant handle this, then give it to someone who can.

VeeP

343i def had a tough job. Halo fans want a lot of different things, so it's upto 343 to add those things. But it's difficult for 343 to add everything within certain time.

Every time it's announced 343 is adding something you hear annoyed fans go "WOW, SHOULDVE BEEN IN THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE"

Yea, I'm sure it was 343i's objective to cut content out of their game, and then release it later on so it seems like they're supporting the game.

But anyways, hopefully Microsoft can give 343 plenty of time, and they can give us social modes, BTB, a great forge, arena, classic mode, etc. Basically everything for everyone.

pieface

I sympathise with 343 in some ways. Halo is such a different game for so many different people for different reasons. It's hard for them to try and please everyone.

I honestly felt like the gameplay mechanics in halo 5 were spot on, and it was balanced well. But the multilayer maps were lacking, and no dev made BTB maps was pathetic.

The artistic direction of the halo maps just didn't feel like halo at all in 5. Was all a bit "factory' looking.

There are ways to please as many people as possible. For one:

- dont remove shit the franchise has always had, like local split-screen. Gears4 has it and im sure the % of people that use it is very small, but nevertheless it fucking has it.

- Gears4 also has all its MP gametypes. They didnt go backwards and remove any. Why is juggernaut gone? Wheres King of the hill? Why were some of these like assault added via forge and not built into the game to work on all maps? I mean so many dumbass decisions that would go a long way if done right.

- As for BTB, the gametype as been in halo since the start so obviously dont remove it and dont fill it with half assed forge maps.

Some things are common sense if youve always played Halo. There are expectations that 343 seem completely oblivious about and these guys are supposedly a studio filled with halo fans... really?

I mean if they dont know what to do then they should just look at what Disney did with star wars or look at what the coalition did with gears 4. Respect the franchises passed, dont just piss all over it.

And if they cant handle this, then give it to someone who can.
My dude, is it a matter of 343 being oblivious to what Halo fans want or something more nuanced and practical like g a m e d e v e l o p m e n t .

No. Shit. They knew fans would miss split screen, BTB, some classic gametypes, tough tradeoffs, etc., but you know, game development is such that there are limitations to resources like manpower and budget, time restraints, and many other things to consider like adding new elements: Warzone, a Customs Browser, 60fps, several Forge improvements, the list goes on.

You make it seem like they're incompetent idiots when game development is tough as shit, especially with a fanbase as demanding as Halo's. So chill out on the turd flinging.. Sometimes you knock it out of the park, sometimes you fail catastrophically, sometimes a mix of both.

jelly

I don't think 343 have a had a solid development yet, Halo 4 was while the team was being built and ideas thrown about that never worked out, I don't believe for a second Halo 5 in the end was what they had in mind or planned for much of development. They've built some good foundations so let's see what Halo 6 turns out like, if they drip feed like Halo 5 with Halo staples again or missing without some major innovations and replacements, bring the pitch forks but I don't think they will considering a lot of work will have been put into Halo 5 which they build on. It's a make or break game for the studio.

My dude, is it a matter of 343 being oblivious to what Halo fans want or something more nuanced and practical like g a m e d e v e l o p m e n t .

No. Shit. They knew fans would miss split screen, BTB, some classic gametypes, tough tradeoffs, etc., but you know, game development is such that there are limitations to resources like manpower and budget, time restraints, and many other things to consider like adding new elements: Warzone, a Customs Browser, 60fps, several Forge improvements, the list goes on.

You make it seem like they're incompetent idiots when game development is tough as shit, especially with a fanbase as demanding as Halo's. So chill out on the turd flinging.. Sometimes you knock it out of the park, sometimes you fail catastrophically, sometimes a mix of both.

My mentality is real simple: If youre gonna do something (even if its added on later) do it right. 343 have consistently showed that theyd rather cut corners and get it out then do it right.

Like adding KOTH via forge. How is that a good or user friendly method of adding new gametypes? Now people have to go to forge to download the game-type and make sure they also download the forge compatible maps so that the gametype actually fucking works on your map... Yes, great decision. Gametypes when released should patched into the game and automatically work with all vanilla maps.

Or BTB. How is just forge for BTB a good decision? People in general have never liked forge, or a least, not enough to have a staple of halo gametype filled with maps made with it. Again, cut corners.

If youre gonna do it, do it right. I see too many cut corners in a lot of the game.

psyfi

Banned
There's nothing about Halo 5 that makes me think it had significant development struggles. I'm sure they had to scrap ideas and cut corners like any other dev, but the only big fumbles I can think of are the repeated Warden fights in campaign and their awful handling of BTB.

Making things is hard, news at 11

Pizza

All 3 Halo Rereleases on steam each with their own self-contained ecosystem to avoid MCC problems? I wouldnt even care if the multiplayer wasn't remastered as long as it was there

I'd buy all three.

E92 M3

Halo 5 is infinitely more fun to play than Destiny's crucible.

I don't think there is a single aspect of the Crucible which is better than H5 Arena.

Halo is so much more than the Chief. The fact that 343 took the negative reception to 5's story as "we only want the Chief" is really disappointing. Halo's stories don't need to be about the Chief.

Also 5's story was pretty easy to understand without reading the books*, it was just a bit shit.

*They could have explained what the Domain is, although honestly I don't think having a line talking about the Forerunner's version of the internet would have made all that much difference in 5.

That all comes down to opinion, but I find Destiny PVP a lot more fun.

Speaking of the campaign: It was complete shit and no one cares about Locke. We want Chief, period.

What fundamentals didn't they get right in halo 5's multiplayer?

How about aiming? The most important part of a shooter.

"It's been such a learning experience" and something about "passionate fans". Can you imagine how bad it would've been if they'd actually had to build up their own fanbase rather than just get given one?

They were given a gold mine and can't even do that right. Imagine if 343 had to build their own fanbase?

Making things is hard, news at 11

You act like it's common knowledge that game development is hard, when there are many people who simply think games don't have enough content because devs are lazy.

I dont think 343 is lazy, but this is Halo. They know what they got themselves into when they took over from Bungie. If they dont have enough people working on it, then maybe they need to hire more. Thats a decision for MS.

Fact of the matter is, for the mostpart, Halo games have shipped with everything but the kitchen sink in them when Bungie was doing it. It wasn't easy for them either but they somehow managed to do stuff like adding new gametypes like invasion without having to take a bunch of other gametypes out.

I have a big problem when stuff gets taken out of a game (especially stuff i used to play a lot) but then get added in a half assed manner (like BTB with forge) just to promote people going into Warzone instead. Or adding new gametypes with Forge and requiring people to then go download the 'forge version' of the map you already have cause it wont work on my vanilla map thats already in my list.

That to me is cutting corners and it doesnt help the game.

E92 M3

I dont think 343 is lazy, but this is Halo. They know what they got themselves into when they took over from Bungie. If they dont have enough people working on it, then maybe they need to hire more. Thats a decision for MS.

Fact of the matter is, for the mostpart, Halo games have shipped with everything but the kitchen sink in them when Bungie was doing it. It wasn't easy for them either but they somehow managed to do stuff like adding new gametypes like invasion without having to take a bunch of other gametypes out.

I have a big problem when stuff gets taken out of a game (especially stuff i used to play a lot) but then get added in a half assed manner (like BTB with forge) just to promote people going into Warzone instead. Or adding new gametypes with Forge and requiring people to then go download the 'forge version' of the map you already have cause it wont work on my vanilla map thats already in my list.

That to me is cutting corners and it doesnt help the game.

They have a ton of money and employees. The problem is that their leadership is completely incompetent. HCS is being run by employees that have zero experience and constantly mess up. The most recent tournament was a technical embarrassment.

orsonwellesclapping.gif

Well that's disappointing.

I was expecting at least a small CGI teaser or something.

With Scorpio (and future XB systems), I hope CGI trailers become a thing of the past. We're getting to the point where in-engine trailers should be used. I'm tired of seeing stuff in CGI trailers that have very little to do with the game.

AlStrong

Maybe they could do something with Kilo 5 seeing as how the original ODST team is defunct - Rookie is dead, Buck & Romeo are Spartans, Crespo became a traitor, Dutch is retired. Dare could make a comeback since she's with ONI.

Would have been neat if "ODST2" happened after Halo 4 with the New Blood story instead. Oh well.

shoreu

That all comes down to opinion, but I find Destiny PVP a lot more fun.

Speaking of the campaign: It was complete shit and no one cares about Locke. We want Chief, period.

How about aiming? The most important part of a shooter.

They were given a gold mine and can't even do that right. Imagine if 343 had to build their own fanbase?
Ok this whole the shooting was trash in H5 is so overblown on GAF. Even at its worst the shooting was superior to destiny's.

A good portion probably didn't notice until they read, and they fixed months ago.

Top Bottom