• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Oh wow I am so damn stupid. I have plenty to dismantle that has it. Thanks bro!
I just realized playing last night that the alcoholic beverages are fantastic sources of organic material! Been ignoring or discarding them, and in a pinch, needed some Medkits so scoured my inventory for organic yield and now I horde alcohol

I just realized playing last night that the alcoholic beverages are fantastic sources of organic material! Been ignoring or discarding them, and in a pinch, needed some Medkits so scoured my inventory for organic yield and now I horde alcohol

That is really cool. Maybe a good idea for a second playthrough if I'm gonna do one.

Goddamnit Arkane! Why on earth password for Treasure Hunt quest must be randomised? Looking for numbers on walls all over the station wasn't enough? I hate this shit and I don't have time or desire to type millions of combinations to unlock the damn treasure. Where's the fucking fun in that? Damn.

This was ridiculous. And I am positive that I entered the same "correct" code about 4 times before it actually accepted it.

OK that was the ending.. Few questions.

that real ending after the credits was great. Morgan was talked about as "it" because I was basically a Typhon at this point.

So let's say I had never ever used Typhon powers in this game, I would not have looked like that and the post credits scene different? Oh and of course depending on my decisions for the people.

OBias

OK that was the ending.. Few questions.

that real ending after the credits was great. Morgan was talked about as "it" because I was basically a Typhon at this point.

So let's say I had never ever used Typhon powers in this game, I would not have looked like that and the post credits scene different?

One of the characters would have brought it up, but you would look the same way. By the way, I noticed a strange thing when I watched other people's playthrough - when they shook Alex's hand, the typhon's hand turned into a human one, but for some reason that didn't happen in my ending as the typhon's hand didn't change.

One of the characters would have brought it up, but you would look the same way. By the way, I noticed a strange thing when I watched other people's playthrough - when they shook Alex's hand, the typhon's hand turned into a human one, but for some reason that didn't happen in my ending as the typhon's hand didn't change.

Oh wow that's interesting. Did you unlock all the Typhon skills? I didn't, I did have the human hand.

Either way, that world man, earth looks horrible with all the yellow stuff from the Typhon. But a really great post credits scene.

Please bring a sequel. The potential!

With that ending in mind we could go to earth and fight the typhon there. However it would be a bit tricky for level design. It was awesome in Prey because of the location.... but how will they do earth without it being open world?

The Flash

Banned
Prey now has the John Carpenter Seal of Approval. Checkmate, IGN.

f86WOx0.png

Arkanius

Oh wow that's interesting. Did you unlock all the Typhon skills? I didn't, I did have the human hand.

Either way, that world man, earth looks horrible with all the yellow stuff from the Typhon. But a really great post credits scene.

Please bring a sequel. The potential!

With that ending in mind we could go to earth and fight the typhon there. However it would be a bit tricky for level design. It was awesome in Prey because of the location.... but how will they do earth without it being open world?

Black Mesa, and call it Half Life 3

No, I didn't unlock any Typhon skills and the ending acknowledged it otherwise, so it's a bit weird.

I was a bit confused about the ending and overall story as well. Decided to read the synopsis on Wikipedia and now it's more clear. I wish I picked up on these things more easily and that I wouldn't need a synopsis. Then again I did stray from the main story a lot for the optional ones.

What I understand from the synopsis is....

The real Morgan is long dead. Alex injected Morgan's memories into the Typhon, you, hoping to teach it human emotions and empathy. So basically right from the start of the game we are a Typhon? Odd that none of the crew members said anything about it.

Maybe I got it all wrong,...

OBias

I was a bit confused about the ending and overall story as well. Decided to read the synopsis on Wikipedia and now it's more clear. I wish I picked up on these things more easily and that I wouldn't need a synopsis. Then again I did stray from the main story a lot for the optional ones.

The real Morgan is long dead. Alex injected Morgan's memories into the Typhon, you, hoping to teach it human emotions and empathy. So basically right from the start of the game we are a Typhon? Odd that none of the crew members said anything about it.

The real Morgan possibly died (if he did die, I'm not really sure) only after the Talos-1 incident, and the typhon we were playing as was put inside the simulated recreation of the incident from the real Morgan's memories as Morgan, so none of the crew memebers could say anything about it because at this point they were part of the simulation.

munroe

you're playing back Morgan's memories so obviously the other crew members think you're human because the original Morgan is human

Mindman

I love this game so much. Every single skill tree has great usefulness. I have a billion sidequests to do. It can be challenging but not frustrating and the space station is a joy to explore!

GavinUK86

Prey now has the John Carpenter Seal of Approval. Checkmate, IGN.

f86WOx0.png

That's cool. Box quote right there.

Yes, as far as the game we play goes, we were always a typhon.

You, the typhon, are in a simulation of the Talos 1 incident. All of the crew members are already dead. Alex is the only person alive out of the people you meet in the simulation, hence the operator's with the personalities.

It doesn't specify when you died, or if those people ever existed, but I'm presuming they all were real at one point and were killed, along with you, during the incident.

Dipper145

Definitely enjoyed the game a lot more once I switched down to a lower difficulty and just powered through it.

I mean I only had about 30 mins left of the game and was running around everywhere and it was a lot of fun.

Must have done something wrong right at the end or hit a bug because I just kind of had to wait for 10 minutes for the game to end. Kind of frustrating but whatever, enjoyed the game all in all.

That's cool. Box quote right there.

Yes, as far as the game we play goes, we were always a typhon.

You, the typhon, are in a simulation of the Talos 1 incident. All of the crew members are already dead. Alex is the only person alive out of the people you meet in the simulation, hence the operator's with the personalities.

It doesn't specify when you died, or if those people ever existed, but I'm presuming they all were real at one point and were killed, along with you, during the incident.

Yeah a really cool twist there. I'm assuming that this one Typhon isn't going to be the only one for Alex. Now that they have succeeded with you (unless you didn't help anyone) I am guessing humanity want to build a whole army of these human-typhon hybrids to fight off the attacking Typhon and rescue earth.

It's quite clear Arkane made this story with the intent of a sequel and I say being it on. Or maybe DLC as intro to a second game. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Fantastic game!

Now I'm off to watch me some movies like Sunshine and Event Horizon.

GavinUK86

Yeah a really cool twist there. I'm assuming that this one Typhon isn't going to be the only one for Alex. Now that they have succeeded with you (unless you didn't help anyone) I am guessing humanity want to build a whole army of these human-typhon hybrids to fight off the attacking Typhon and rescue earth.

It's quite clear Arkane made this story with the intent of a sequel and I say being it on. Or maybe DLC as intro to a second game. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Fantastic game!

Now I'm off to watch me some movies like Sunshine and Event Horizon.

Possibly, yeah. I hope they do make another Prey. Dishonored 2 didn't do too well for Arkane, even though that was amazing too, so I hope Bethesda appreciate the core fanbase they have and let them keep making these games.

Possibly, yeah. I hope they do make another Prey. Dishonored 2 didn't do too well for Arkane, even though that was amazing too, so I hope Bethesda appreciate the core fanbase they have and let them keep making these games.

Yeah I wonder if this game can end up selling better than Dishonored 2. While I did like that game I prefer Prey. But that's because I just love this whole setting.

Dishonored 2 is supposed to get story DLC right? Well surely they have one planned for Prey too then. Here's hoping!

SomTervo

Just finished.

Great job, Arkane. The main quest sliiightly outstayed its welcome, and I don't think the ending should have been
hidden after the credits (I've got a feeling that the reviewer who hated the ending - literally describing it as a five second cutscene) just turned it off mid-credits),
but they still did an amazing job on the whole. 9/10.

Finally finished this game. It was a great ride, though I have some mixed feelings about the ending.

Not sure the twist ending really worked for me. Unless I'm wrong I don't think there's anything you can go back to in the game that makes you go 'of course, I should have seen it all along'. A good twist should always enable you to do that. But this just feels a bit tacked on and as a result it doesn't really add anything to the story.

Still a great game though. Extremely well designed and crafted. I'd say almost everything in the game works and all the parts fit together. It seems like it's increasingly rare these days that a game feels so cohesive, and not kinda slipshod.

No way. Every time you messed with
Typhon
stuff you got
visions of the 'real' room with the simulation, Alex and the operators watching you, and even glimpses of the Earth ridden with the coral.

The game straight up shows it to you a bunch of times.

I'm really glad there's the
post-credits ending
because when I reached the end of the main questline... Man I was pissed off.

I agree its draggin and not letting me go ):
I have no idea how much is left, but i get the feeling its all gonna be backtracking for a while.

The areas you go back to change a lot and get a lot of new enemies/layouts in them.

Don't see it as backtracking. See it as "I'm on a space ship and stuff is happening all over it"

The cystoids react to movement, so shooting a nest once and then throwing an item in the general direction of the swarm causes them to attack it and explode.

... I wish I'd known this

munroe

2nd playthrough done, Typhon only run and Wow at that good ending!
I didn't realise Earth was actually under attack, just assumed people were guessing and I played the ending twice to see what would happen if I took Alex's hand or killed them all

I really hope we do get a sequel

I'm glad I stuck with this at first I was frustrated with how easy it was to get killed. However once you get acces to
the alien abilities
things opened up and I was able to hold my own. It's a joy just exploring the whole area digging around and just reading emails and shit.

Got to the ending
by taking Alex' escape pod

So I guess it's all just some kind of simulation, will be interesting to see how it's expanded upon in the "proper" endings.

OBias

The areas you go back to change a lot and get a lot of new enemies/layouts in them.

Don't see it as backtracking. See it as "I'm on a space ship and stuff is happening all over it"
This was maybe my favorite thing about this game. More games should create this kind of intricately detailed, dynamic, interconnected, believable place instead of making a setpiece railroad or a vast barren sprinkled with markers.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This was ridiculous. And I am positive that I entered the same "correct" code about 4 times before it actually accepted it.
Yeah, no more of this shit in future games please. Actually, this whole thing reminding me of something. I could't crack the first safe in Bethesda's Call of Cthulhu game and i abondoned this game for good because of this cuz this was actually important story stuff which you can't just ignore and move on. That's how fucked up this thing can be.

Just finished.

Great job, Arkane. The main quest sliiightly outstayed its welcome, and I don't think the ending should have been
hidden after the credits (I've got a feeling that the reviewer who hated the ending - literally describing it as a five second cutscene) just turned it off mid-credits),
but they still did an amazing job on the whole. 9/10.

No way. Every time you messed with
Typhon
stuff you got
visions of the 'real' room with the simulation, Alex and the operators watching you, and even glimpses of the Earth ridden with the coral.

The game straight up shows it to you a bunch of times.

I'm really glad there's the
post-credits ending
because when I reached the end of the main questline... Man I was pissed off.

... I wish I'd known this

Yeah I really should have paid more attention.
Whenever I saw those things I never really thought much of it. I kinda thought these were memories partly coming back to him. Not sure for what reason though, lol.

But on the other hand I'm happy I was oblivious to it, if that's the right word.

All that time on the space station I truly was under the impression that it was really Morgan, all real, all actual events happening at that time. Never thought of it as a simulation. Well except of course for the starting area twist. Which makes complete sense now after having seen the post credits scene.

Wish we had more games like these. I just love that setting and I am very fine with the fact that's it's not too scary. It's fine. Hope the game will do good enough for Bethesda/Zenimax to warrant a sequel or at least dlc.

g23

European pre-madonna
So GAF my new addiction are immersive Sims. How similar is Dishonored 2 and Deus ex MD to this?

Hey guys I'm curious, how much did you actually use the Mimic Matter ability? In the marketing of the game it seemed pretty big but if I look back at my first playthrough I really only used it to get through small openings for items.

I need some ideas for a second playthrough or did you guys also only used it for that? I missed out on several cool powers especially in the purple powers section. Definitely stating to sound like a second playthrough is worth it.

So GAF my new addiction are immersive Sims. How similar is Dishonored 2 and Deus ex MD to this?

Prey is more interconnected (Think of Talos 1 as a space dungeon) and not level-based like Dishonored while still similar to both games in terms of the open-ended gameplay and intricate level design

Resources are also scarce, so you need to use every tool and weapon you can

Hey guys I'm curious, how much did you actually use the Mimic Matter ability? In the marketing of the game it seemed pretty big but if I look back at my first playthrough I really only used it to get through small openings for items.

I need some ideas for a second playthrough or did you guys also only used it for that?

You can upgrade Mimic Matter to take the form of Turrets or Operators

kiriin

I'm glad I stuck with this at first I was frustrated with how easy it was to get killed.

Honestly that what makes the game fun for me. It sticks with premises that you're just a researcher/scientist not made for fighting head on. Game also constantly encouraging you to use more than one power/weapon due to the resistance typing.

You're pretty much op as hell by the end of game though.

Does anyone know how to unlock the secret achievements? 8 secret achievements and I can't see what it is. It says I should keep playing it more and the more likely I will unlock it.

munroe

I need some ideas for a second playthrough or did you guys also only used it for that? I missed out on several cool powers especially in the purple powers section. Definitely stating to sound like a second playthrough is worth it.

If you have mimic 3, copying the combat operators is pretty good, the weapon is quite hard to aim but you don't seem to take any damage while mimicked and the beam weapon does a load of damage

I took down a weaver quite easily by mimicking a science operator

Does anyone know how to unlock the secret achievements? 8 secret achievements and I can't see what it is. It says I should keep playing it more and the more likely I will unlock it.

If you do a good run will unlock a good amount of them.

Another is
is to retake the tests you failed at the start of the game, need Typhon powers obv.

ilium

Just finished at around 33h playtime.

Liked the ending (edit: the good one apparently), but suspected it right at the beginning after reading two of the books (control theory & consciousness) in Morgan's room. When I found the audiolog with Alex talking to two other scientists about putting human DNA into typhons I was pretty confident about what was coming.
Didn't take anything away for me tho, because I was intrigued and kept searching for allusions to cybernetic principles throughout the game of which I found a few ^^
And there's still stuff I want to find out more about, like what's up with that pilot's audiolog talking about an unknown black (shut down?) spacestation somewhere out there?!

Game is fantastic. The station has such a great sense of place and I really really enjoyed exploring it. The moment when sunlight basked the lobby and I realized the whole station was rotating was pretty awe inspiring!
Level design is great, too and some really nice environmental storytelling, like the cigarette stubs on
the last switch for the reactor shutdown
or
the single recycler charge in the container with the dude smuggling out the rsearch data.
Also liked how weak I felt until I finally decided to invest into some combat skills about 15h into the game. After that the game changed and I was stun/shotgunning everything which made most encounters pretty trivial and a little tedious. There's also either way too many resources or I was too stingy with them, ended the game with over 30 Psi and Health hypos and tons of ammunition and everything else...

Sound was rather wonky at times, but most ambient sounds were well made and fit the location. Like I played without music and that reverberant beep sound when going on spacewalks (which I loved) sounds like part of an ambient track, not the suit or whatever..
Also not sure how I feel about having humans on the station. They were alright, but I think I prefer System Shock's isolation. The moment you meet I forgot who in front
of the fitness center window
was pretty cool tho.
Also kudos for optimization, game ran suprisingly smooth on my i5 6267u with integrated Iris 550!

Can't wait for my second survival mode playthrough.

And super bummed that it doesn't seem to sell all that well right now. It's such a strong foundation for another game.

KDC720

So I've been thinking about the game a bit more as I've started my second playthrough. I'm going all Typhon powers this time after doing my first playthrough pure human and I can already see the differences in gameplay.

The System Shock and Deus Ex influence is obvious, but this game reminded me a lot of the first Dead Rising, which is a favorite of mine. Both games take place in a single location with distinct environments separated by loading screens. Each area is packed with hidden goodies and secrets, and you unlock shortcuts and learn the best routes through each area the further you go. Your character gets more powerful but the situation also gets progressively worse as you go on, also the handful of survivors that you can rescue or kill and some of the timed quests later on gave off huge Dead Rising vibes.

I'm still a bit confused by parts of the ending though. [Big Spoilers ahead]
Is the human/typhon hybrid you play as in the post credits supposed to be Morgan? And how far into the future does this scene take place?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Is there anyone here brave enough except me who's gonna start the second playthrough on the hardest difficulty and be playing the game without upgrading anything related to human and typhoon abilities? (^__^)

OBias

I'm still a bit confused by parts of the ending though. [Big Spoilers ahead]
Is the human/typhon hybrid you play as in the post credits supposed to be Morgan? And how far into the future does this scene take place?

The hybrid was being injected with "Morgan's cell lines", and there is the "this isn't the one" line in the "bad" endings, so I don't think it's Morgan. Alex doesn't seem to be older so probably less than a decade.

Top Bottom