• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancelled my limited edition statue preordered as I didn't have the money for it as I feared it was out spring... Now it's August and I could have gone for it. So annoyed with myself

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Why does it need to be 16-bit-style, though? Why can't they keep the exact same art style, animations, gameplay, levels etc. but with a HD (or even 4K) image?

Ristifer

Sonic cycle is still fully intact.

Atleast one of the games must reach a similar quality to the Genesis classics for the cycle to be broken.

Mania is going to be the one to do it. And then we plunge right back in with Sonic Farces.
I still think Forces looks okay, except for some questionable level design for GH and some odd physics. Those things didn't really stop me from loving Generations, so I guess I'm still pretty thrilled about Forces.

All that said, Mania is THE game that I need to play.

ckohler

Bringing back the Sonic CD animation/character style just furthers how amazing this game is turning out to be.

It can't be stated enough. This is the best, most iconic version of Sonic; the version Sega should be promoting. Not the edgy, talking, slender, human-interacting, story bloated Sonic of recent times.

No.

This is the silent, cool, adorable Sonic. The Sonic that has a timeless "Mickey Mouse" quality to him. I wasn't the least bit surprised to see a YouTube comment where someone says, "Awe! They look adorable!" That's because this style just works. It has mass appeal.

By the way, the revamped Starddust Speedway Good Future looks great!

Yeah, Tyson was in charge of this, and Mariel Cartwright (@Kinucakes) and Anthony Holden (@nthonyholden) were assistant animators.

Jon Kim (@personasama), another Lab Zero animator, also worked on the editing.

Can't wait to see you all end up making a Sonic game in like 5/10 years. :p

Puruzi

Banned
Bringing back the Sonic CD animation/character style just furthers how amazing this game is turning out to be.

It can't be stated enough. This is the best, most iconic version of Sonic; the version Sega should be promoting. Not the edgy, talking, slender, human-interacting, story bloated Sonic of recent times.

No.

This is the silent, cool, adorable Sonic. The Sonic that has a timeless "Mickey Mouse" quality to him. I wasn't the least bit surprised to see a YouTube comment where someone says, "Awe! They look adorable!" That's because this style just works. It has mass appeal.

I agree with all of this.

Also it's Stardust Speedway Past I think

Sacul64GC

Banned
Cancelled my limited edition statue preordered as I didn't have the money for it as I feared it was out spring... Now it's August and I could have gone for it. So annoyed with myself

It's been a while since I looked at our preorder lists but last I saw it was still there. GameStop BTW.

Ravidrath

We've seriously considered making a Sonic prototype and just putting it in front of Sega to see what happens, because they were talking to us about pitching another game at one point.

Then Sonic Boom happened, and Sega wanted nothing to do with American-developed games, and all pitch plans were canceled.

Why does it need to be 16-bit-style, though? Why can't they keep the exact same art style, animations, gameplay, levels etc. but with a HD (or even 4K) image?
Cause they wanted to?

It's not as if Sega was gonna drop that sort of cash on a new team largely made up of the fan community. If the game's successful, who knows what's in store.

We've seriously considered making a Sonic prototype and just putting it in front of Sega to see what happens, because they were talking to us about pitching another game at one point.

Then Sonic Boom happened, and Sega wanted nothing to do with American-developed games, and all pitch plans were canceled.
Oh wow, sorry to hear that.

Guess Who

Banned

Well, I hear they've got a western team working on a really highly anticipated new Sonic game now, so maybe you're in luck!

No.

I get the feeling there's too much pride in the way of this. Sonic Team has been pushing the "You just can't please everyone!" angle for years now, that the Sonic fan base has fractured over the various styles of gameplay the team has experimented with, yet companies like Nintendo have no problem managing the numerous variations of Mario, for example.

Sonic Forces should have focused entirely on the modern elements and create-your-own-character stuff, Mania makes the Classic Sonic gameplay completely redundant. It's not too surprising though that Sonic Team feels like their only option is to rehash the only style of gameplay that anyone seemed to like recently.

Anyway it goes without saying that I am ridiculously fucking stoked for this, oh my god. Could Taxman and Stealth and the crew hit it further out of the park than this? Oh ye gods.

Sacul64GC

Banned
Mania
Knuckles
(Sonic) 3
(Sonic) 2
(Sonic) 1

Is the Switch version confirmed for the same day as the Xbox/PS4 release?

As far as I know yes. Sonic sells best on Nintendo (PC would likely be the exception now) so they make sure it gets there on time. Would not be surprised if it was delayed for that reason.

NoKisum

Damn. I guess that means after this, it's Sonic Team only for Sonic titles.

Apparently things have changed! Would be nice to see y'all give it another go. (Indivisible backer here, so I'm happy with whatever direction you go in, of course.)

Piers

That's a very cool trailer. Props to the animators for it.
Blasphemous comment warning: Saying that, I never liked CD's look. The straight quills and stiff mouth specifically. It feels like it's almost on-model but not quite.
Which is kind of a shame because I've always wanted to see the proper blue print of Classic Sonic animated. :p

I get the feeling there's too much pride in the way of this. Sonic Team has been pushing the "You just can't please everyone!" angle for years now, that the Sonic fan base has fractured over the various styles of gameplay the team has experimented with, yet companies like Nintendo have no problem managing the numerous variations of Mario, for example.

Sonic Forces should have focused entirely on the modern elements and create-your-own-character stuff, Mania makes the Classic Sonic gameplay completely redundant. It's not too surprising though that Sonic Team feels like their only option is to rehash the only style of gameplay that anyone seemed to like recently.

Anyway it goes without saying that I am ridiculously fucking stoked for this, oh my god. Could Taxman and Stealth and the crew hit it further out of the park than this? Oh ye gods.

Forces has been in development since Generations. I'm willing to bet its classic gameplay was set in stone well before Mania started development.

If Mania is successful, I doubt they'll bring classic Sonic back in the next modern game.

Village

Apparently things have changed! Would be nice to see y'all give it another go. (Indivisible backer here, so I'm happy with whatever direction you go in, of course.)

I feel like that's a very under a heavy watchful eye situation , there is a lot of stuff going on with sonic right now where they seem to be reigning everything in.

So, maybe I guess.

I feel like thats kind of the timeline for everyone who wants something out of sonic at this point, make it yourself.

I have never pre-ordered / pre-purchased / pre-whatever'd a game, ever.

Until today.

Sonic Mania is made almost entirely by people from the Sonic fandom who Get It at a level that Sega hasn't in decades. People make fun of the Sonic fandom a lot, but there are some ridiculously talented people in the fandom who have a lot of love and care for this franchise, despite Sega's best efforts to run it into the ground.

I'm more convinced than ever that Sega should take the franchise away from Sonic Team and Sega of Japan, and put it entirely in the hands of a new team like the one assembled for Mania. Imagine what the Mania team, given a Sonic Forces-level budget and partnering with a bigger studio, could fucking do.

Iizuka has to go. He has shown, repeatedly, over the course of decades, that he has no idea what to do with the franchise. He couldn't even make a sequel to NiGHTS - his own baby - that didn't fuck it up.

Absolutely agreed with all of this.

Hopefully after Mania releases, you get another shot. Your team's work on Indivisible looks amazing and I've heard countless good things about Skullgirls.

Nesther

What an absolutely beautiful trailer. Made me feel really nostalgic. Can't believe I'm going to pre-order a Sonic game, but we're finally getting a true successor to the old games. Just amazing how something like this came together and actually happened.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They found the real sonic! Haven't seen that guy since 1995 or so.

MrBadger

Because they wanted an aesthetically pleasing but cost-efficient aesthetic? I imagine the budget isn't huge, but they want to get loads of content in

Besides, the game looks great

Stevey

Yes.
In.
W9M5mfk.png

$20 is a real nice price for this, and just makes Capcom's pricing on USF2 even more grotesque by comparison.

Here you have a brand new title for half the price of a port of a game that cost $15 when it released

Guess Who

Banned

In this particular case, because:

1) That would require a much higher budget to draw and animate the full game at such a high resolution and level of detail.

2) They would not be able to reuse assets from Sonic 1/2/CD/3/Knuckles, which would dramatically raise the cost, workload, and development time of the game.

RagnarokX

Man this trailer was so good. Gotta love the fuck you to Sonic 4.

I wonder if Present and Future will show up for Stardust Speedway.

KsRh17T.jpg

This is a great take on this boss. As the trash compactor walls close in the trash is displaced upwards inching you closer to being able to hit the laser. I wonder if it fires lasers like it did in Sonic 2 and 3&K or if it's more like a magnet. You can briefly see a flicky flying away, so apparently there will be badniks to fight in the trash pit.

4aLWrgd.jpg

Stardust Speedway Past be borrowing this idea from Marble Garden.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Now that we are finally getting the Sonic of our dreams in 2017, ladies and gentleman, the time to rest is not now.

We have to let it be known, with our wallets (because my parents bought me Sonic 1, 2, and 3 and I wasn't old enough to work then) that this is what we want.

Because the long game is that this team continues to be able to develop NEW sonic games. Sonic Mania is clearly a test run that has been a labor of love all the same. It has a mixture of old and new zones, and that is largely the only complaint I've seen lodged against it when speculating how great it will be. If Sonic Mania does well, we can see the opportunity for a Sonic Mania 2 (or Sonic 5) with ALL NEW ZONES and a bigger budget and everyone should want that.

____

Completely OT, but every time I see this thread, I mis-read the title to say: (Sony) "Santa Monica" and I think it's a new PS4 game.

I'll leave now. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom