• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

Still perplexed by Jacques Renault tending the bar at the end of episode 2. So many little, wonderful mysteries...

He's credited as Jean-Michel Renault. A new Renault brother, it seems.
So we're saying
all scenes with real Cooper are set in 2003 while all scenes in Twin Peaks are 2015? since frank truman had that iphone and everything

Yup, and
and the blind lady seemed to be deliberately keeping him from leaving through the 2015 outlet

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So we're saying
all scenes with real Cooper are set in 2003 while all scenes in Twin Peaks are 2015? since frank truman had that iphone and everything

I made a discovery that I edited into my post -
It looks like the 03 does not mean what we think it means. I found a 2013 plate that says '03' visibly, but has the year '2013' printed beside it. The time travel theory may be debunked.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I'd say that's a zero

EDIT:
Interestingly, while this plate says '03', it also has 2013 running down the side of the plate tag? - http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Nevada2/nv2013.JPG

Also,
here's someone from Nevada correlating what I realized - the 03 is not a year designation.

To elaborate a little, the poster links to a site which lists plate tag colors per year. Nevada has bright yellow tags for 2013 and 2016, and an orange-yellow tag for 2003. While the shot of the plate does make the tag look slightly orange, it's most likely that this shot was done in 2016.

Also,
here's someone from Nevada correlating what I realized - the 03 is not a year designation.

To elaborate a little, the poster links to a site which lists plate tag colors per year. Nevada has bright yellow tags for 2013 and 2016, and an orange-yellow tag for 2003. While the shot of the plate does make the tag look slightly orange, it's most likely that this shot was done in 2016.

This is a relief.
Coop being stuck 12 years in the past seemed like it would be a bummer.

Flipyap

The character of Tammy is actually established in one of the books as an archivist of Twin Peaks history, she's supposed to be an expert on the subject. Hopefully we get more of that in ep 5 (assuming it follows those characters).
Major Briggs is the archivist. Tamara Preston just a fact checker and seemingly a pretty bad one.
I don't know what Frost's intention was there, but her being tasked with uncovering the mystery of a dossier that solves itself with the solution plainly written on its final page doesn't exactly make her sound smart.

I think Josie was pretty interesting in the pilot, and then they didn't really seem to know what to do with her. Almost as if once Rosselini passed on it they threw out their original plans. Her appearance in the missing pieces is good too.
The Missing Pieces Josie is my favorite. I just adore the way she's written.
The absolute worst version of the character is unfiltered Mark Frost's prostitute crime mastermind Josie from The Secret History of Twin Peaks. I just don't get Frost's fetish for turning Twin Peaks's "femme fatales" into secret bond villains (or a sex assassin in Lana's case).

So the glass box monster might actually be a woman. It's kinda hard to tell.
I don't know who the monster identifies as, but if it's the Experiment Model, it's played by Erica Eynon.

I thought the 15/03 thing was the time? Cos Mr C was looking at the clock as it was approaching 3pm. Also 15 is 3 in 24hr time.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ what do I know eh

hydruxo

Regardless of whether or not the
theory is true, I still think something is up with
Dougie's reality. It's not what it seems to like, too many odd things going on there IMO.

Slaythe

They can't have Cooper time travel.

For multiple reasons.

1) Why wouldn't he prevent the whole thing, implying he's gonna stay a legume for years why would be terrible since this is the last season ever.

2) his aging and Dougie's aging, while you could say he "aged in the lodge" like Laura and time was only relative to himself, Dougie was in the real world and he looks Cooper and Evil Coop's age. Therefore it's not possible it's taking place in the past.

hydruxo

They can't have Cooper time travel.

For multiple reasons.

1) Why wouldn't he prevent the whole thing, implying he's gonna stay a legume for years why would be terrible since this is the last season ever.

2) his aging and Dougie's aging, while you could say he "aged in the lodge" like Laura and time was only relative to himself, Dougie was in the real world and he looks Cooper and Evil Coop's age. Therefore it's not possible it's taking place in the past.

I don't think either of your explanations make much sense, to be honest.

1) How would he prevent it? Even if he's in the lodge for as long as he's been, he has no idea what the hell is going on. He wouldn't be able to prevent anything from happening.

2) I don't get what you're trying to say here. He's the same age as them, and if the theory was right (and I'm not saying it is) then
he was simply sent back to 2003
at his current age.

Time traveling? This isn't Lost lol.

I mean I guess it could happen. But what would be the point? If anything it's a fake reality like some of Lynch's movies, where some signs point to it being Cooper's subconscious.

Slaythe

I don't think either of your explanations make much sense, to be honest.

1) How would he prevent it? Even if he's in the lodge for as long as he's been, he has no idea what the hell is going on. He wouldn't be able to prevent anything from happening.

2) I don't get what you're trying to say here. He's the same age as them, and if the theory was right (and I'm not saying it is) then
he was simply sent back to 2003
at his current age.

1) Er because if he's in 2003, we're supposed to believe he let evil cooper being a shit bag murdering people for 12 years ? That only leaves the possibility that he doesn't get his memories back which is bad. It's like Superman loses his powers for an entire arc, just get it over with already.

2) Cooper took Dougie's place. Which means the Dougie we saw was from the same time era as wherever Cooper ends up. But Dougie looks as old as Cooper and evil Cooper. Evil Cooper is definitely in the modern era, not 2003. So it's not possible for them to look the same. Dougie in 2003 wouldn't look like that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'd like to read the conversation but I don't know if I should, are the posts behind spoiler tags on this page based on real spoilers?

This spoiler tagging of speculation gets really confusing.

Addi

Time travel, lol, that's what happen when there's a two week wait. I don't think there's much point in speculating about Twin Peaks as if it was Westworld. Also, I'm pretty sure Lynch would have handled time travel differently.

I'd like to read the conversation but I don't know if I should, are the posts behind spoiler tags on this page based on real spoilers?

This spoiler tagging of speculation gets really confusing.

It's all speculations and the spoiler tagging isn't really done consequently. If you read the rest, you can read what's tagged.

Pretty sure the 3 and 15 are just related to the 315 room number on Coop's hotel key.

Why those numbers are relevant beyond that I couldn't say. But time travel? Nah

Real Hero

time travel already happens anyway in peoples dreams etc there's no reasons they would do time travel and not be obvious about it

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am not subscribed to the time theory, but I will point out that 'time travel' already exists in Twin Peaks in at least three separate occasions. More accurately, time and space travel. IE, Jeffries (who plays a big role in this season) was travelling through time and space, he was missing for years but to him he was only gone for less than half a day, he somehow stepped into something that transported him through space and into the future before poofing him again. Major Briggs when he comes back from the Lodge seems to have a messed-up perception of time too. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is both a prequel and sequel to Twin Peaks because time doesn't flow in the Black Lodge like it does in our world. Mike also says in Part 2 twice, "Is this future... Or is this past?", so I can understand where the theory stems from.

PolishQ

Showtime has posted pages for parts 9-12. We now have confirmation that there will be NO NEW EPISODE on July 2nd. Part 9 airs on July 9th.

http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/9
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/10
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/11
http://www.sho.com/twin-peaks/the-return/part/12

No "tagline" for the parts yet, but they do have content advisories:

Part 9: Adult Content, Adult Language, Violence
Part 10: Graphic Language (!), Adult Content, Violence
Part 11: Adult Content, Adult Language, Violence, Nudity
Part 12: Adult Content, Adult Language, Violence

Flipyap

Major Briggs when he comes back from the Lodge seems to have a messed-up perception of time too.
And a sweet new old outfit.

SklY3An.jpg

CrunchyB

Also, Mr C talks about having a plan in place. Dougie is in 2014, same time as everyone else.

Yeah, the sniper was in place at the correct date and would have shot Coop if he wasn't fooling around in his seat at the time. Unless that's another case of wicked misdirection, but that would be exceedingly silly.

I'm not ruling out there is some messing around with the timelines somewhere, but it will be days or months, not a dozen years.

I have no idea what the 15=>3 switch means.

PolishQ

I have no idea what the 15=>3 switch means.

The font used for the 15 and 3 remind me a lot of the "6" telephone pole in the Fat Trout Trailer Park from FWWM. I think the simplest explanation is that they represent different electrical destinations - in this case "15" being the cigarette lighter outlet in Evil Coop's car, and "3" being the outlet near Dougie.

6.jpg

The font used for the 15 and 3 remind me a lot of the "6" telephone pole in the Fat Trout Trailer Park from FWWM. I think the simplest explanation is that they represent different electrical destinations - in this case "15" being the cigarette lighter outlet in Evil Coop's car, and "3" being the outlet near Dougie.

6.jpg

The only issue I would have with this is that would imply the woman with no eyes was actually tricking Cooper to go to Dougie instead of sacrificing herself in an attempt to help him or save him. Unless there's something else that can be read from it.

PolishQ

The only issue I would have with this is that would imply the woman with no eyes was actually tricking Cooper to go to Dougie instead of sacrificing herself in an attempt to help him or save him. Unless there's something else that can be read from it.

She could have still been saving him. A vegetative Cooper in a car with Evil Coop is not a pleasant thought, especially when we know that one of them has to die. (I'm operating under the assumption that Dougie was going to be pulled into the Lodge regardless of which outlet Good Coop went through.)

Flipyap

6.jpg
It's totally the same font. The original 6 likely comes from this set of house number plaques (this bit of dorky detective work was done by Dugpa's CuriousWoman)

The floor in Dougie's display home sounds like a safer place than the front seat of his doppelganger's speeding car with a trunk full of questionable items (and a dashboard covered in garmonbozia).

Hulohot

Neo Member
Reading the past few posts I realise I don't know as much about Fire Walk With Me (only seen once) as I do about series 1 and 2, so I have a few questions.

Can someone explain the Phillip Jefferies thing ? I realise he vanished for ages but I don't remember how or why, or what significance he has to the plot.

What about the agent working with kiefer Sutherland? Whatever happpened to him?

She could have still been saving him. A vegetative Cooper in a car with Evil Coop is not a pleasant thought, especially when we know that one of them has to die. (I'm operating under the assumption that Dougie was going to be pulled into the Lodge regardless of which outlet Good Coop went through.)

I feel like this is working on the assumption that the woman knows what is actually going on outside of the room. Even assuming Dougie gets pulled instead of Doop and it only changes where Coop ends up it feels weird to say she is saving him from some possible car crash or being in the same car as Doop. Especially a big leap to see it as her sacrificing herself for that outcome.

Not saying your wrong, it would just seem weird when combined with all the other circumstances.

I keep saying this, but I really need to do a rewatch of all the episodes this weekend before the new ep.

PolishQ

Reading the past few posts I realise I don't know as much about Fire Walk With Me (only seen once) as I do about series 1 and 2, so I have a few questions.

Can someone explain the Phillip Jefferies thing ? I realise he vanished for ages but I don't remember how or why, or what significance he has to the plot.

Jeffries is/was an FBI agent. He was in Buenos Aires prior to his disappearance, working with or investigating someone named Judy. He "found something" at Judy's, potentially the ring, and then may have been pulled into the Lodge. He witnessed a meeting of Lodge spirits "above the convenience store". Sometime after that he was teleported through time and space to end up in the Philadelphia FBI offices in 1988 where he has his encounter with Cooper, Gordon, and Albert. He vanishes soon after, apparently teleporting back to his original time and place (Buenos Aires, 1986).

We don't know what he's been up to since then, but he knows about the Lodge and he may have been working with Evil Coop to some strange purpose.

Oh, also Judy might be Josie's twin sister.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Jeffries was in FBI Agent training with Cole, which is why Cole knows him pretty well. He was out of country at a hotel, and received a letter from a woman and was entering the elevator of the hotel when he suddenly and mysterious vanished.

Two years later, he suddenly reappears out of the elevator in the FBI building. He begins to rave about where he's been madly, talks about some woman named Judy. As he rants, the lights begin to flicker, which this whole scene is something Cooper saw in a dream the night before which was a nightmare to him, so seeing the flickering lights sends Cooper to get out of the room. Jeffries notices the calender and is surprised to see what year it is, but before he can say much else he just all at once suddenly vanishes again right in front of their eyes with no traces of where he went.

The agent's name is Chester Desmond, he was looking for the ring which was reported to be on the murdered Teresa Banks finger which was missing from the scene of the crime. He tells his partner to take Teresa's body to Portland, Oregon, but goes to investigate the trailer park Teresa lived in one more time and there's a new trailer there that wasn't there previously and the owner of the park doesn't seem to know much about. Underneath the trailer he see's the ring that Teresa was wearing (which is the Owl Ring, the green ring which is reoccuring through the series and was also worn by various other characters, such as Mike (which caused him to cut off his arm), Laura Palmer (which she wore to prevent herself from being possessed by BOB), Dougie in the new season, and others. When he reaches for the ring beneath the trailer, he suddenly disappears like that. The only thing left at the scene is his car, which has a new phrase spray painted on the window, "Let's rock."

However, with the telephone line with the 6 on it in the same font as the machine in the Purple Place which seems to be connected to different electrical sockets, we might have a better idea of what happened to him and potentially Jeffries now. That part's just theorizing for now, though.

Hulohot

Neo Member
Thanks, wow it all sounds fascinating. Will need to re-watch the movie. Never realised the significance of these characters.

Such a damn good series.

PolishQ

I wonder if this idea of manufacturing people will come up again in the new series. Can Good Cooper manufacture people now that he's been in the Lodge? I can think of one particular deceased character who he might be tempted to "revive"...

Or has Evil Cooper manufactured other people that we don't know about yet?

Evil Coop wouldn't be there though. He'd have been sucked into the red room. Daigo or whatever her name was is stopping Coop going through at the wrong time. Again, based on Coop having passed through night time in NYC the night Sam and Tracy die, which can't be the same day as the car crash.

Because Agent Preston has already been to NYC when the FBI get the call Coop has been found, and I see zero reason as to why that wouldn't happen right away. Evil Coop is identified and booked presumably the same day, for charges we don't yet know about but can presume that Bad Coop has a fair few warrants out on him.

I wonder if this idea of manufacturing people will come up again in the new series. Can Good Cooper manufacture people now that he's been in the Lodge? I can think of one particular deceased character who he might be tempted to "revive"...

Or has Evil Cooper manufactured other people that we don't know about yet?

The way I'm hoping it goes down just so it isn't as cheesy, or becomes ridiculous, is that he was somehow manufactured in the black lodge and then released for Doppelcoop's purposes somehow. Possibly by the Arm's Doppelgagner or something.

PolishQ

Evil Coop wouldn't be there though. He'd have been sucked into the red room. Daigo or whatever her name was is stopping Coop going through at the wrong time. Again, based on Coop having passed through night time in NYC the night Sam and Tracy die, which can't be the same day as the car crash.

Because Agent Preston has already been to NYC when the FBI get the call Coop has been found, and I see zero reason as to why that wouldn't happen right away. Evil Coop is identified and booked presumably the same day, for charges we don't yet know about but can presume that Bad Coop has a fair few warrants out on him.

I disagree. I don't think Evil Coop's "plan" would have been dependent on Good Coop choosing to go through a particular outlet. Dougie was going to be sucked in regardless.

I do agree that the NYC murders happen at a different time than the car crash, but note that Cooper has another "falling through the starry void" moment between appearing in the box and arriving in the space basement. Any amount of time could have passed during that fall. In any case, I'm fairly certain that Dougie and Evil Coop both vomit at 2:53pm on the same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom