• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

But the biggest install base would be putting it on both.
But the cost/time of development for such a project would be quite large compared to just making a new game in the same engine with the same world and mostly same assets. Especially if they wanted to actually take advantage of the Switch's power. From a business/development standpoint it makes a lot more sense to work on an entirely new game as a dual-platform Switch/3DS project than to port an old 3DS project to Switch.

phanphare

Banned
someone needs to photoshop this with a 3DS coming out of the coffin, the Pokemon Direct logo on the coffin, and eurogamer's logo, neogaf's logo, and the Nintendo Switch logo on the people watching

giphy.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Laziest ? Care to share want about it seems lazy ?
New Pokemon, New locations, new forms don't seem lazy to me.

Seems disappointing. B2W2 were sequels, these just seem like updates. Though, I guess I should wait for more information to come out. It's looking like a skip from me for now.

This just based on what they've shown. B&W2 felt like a sequel. This feels like just a quick story swap and the new Poke they showed didn't inspire confidence in terms of effort.

As Garlic said maybe we are wrong, but I'm just going off what they tried to sell me on today.

RedShift

Lol I'm not buying any more 3ds games.

Why are Game Freak so scared of new consoles. Tbf with how bad their 3DS games perform they must be terrified of HD.

Macka

No, not really.

Why?

They've just released a new system that people are very excited about, and follow up by revealing a new game in one of their biggest franchises for the old handheld. How is that a great idea? You're taking eyes away from the new hot thing and making potential customers think they don't need to bother upgrading yet.

It's baffling. It was stupid when they did it with B2/W2 and it's stupid now. I fully expected it to release on 3DS, but a Switch port would be such an easy way to maximize sales. Like honestly, explain to me how it not being on Switch makes sense.

I don't get why people are saying that Eurogamer were wrong about Pokemon Stars?

Stars was a codename, Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon ARE Pokemon Stars.

They only thing Eurogamer got horribly wrong was that it was exclusive to the Switch.

No one cared about the codename despite it being, well, codename for the rumour. Everyone who cared cared about Pokemon on Switch.

It'd be very weird to Pokemon on Switch eventually become this. So regarding the detail that people were hyped about, the probable hypotheses are either that GF was not developing Pokemon on Switch at all yet and Eurogamer was terribly wrong, or that GF is pipelining with Pokemon on Switch early in development (perhaps being Pokemon Ursa Major and Pokemon Canis Minor, I dunno) and Eurogamer didn't get it wrong at all. Given previous record of that particular rumor bundle the previous hypothesis sounds more probable.

EDIT: I guess Ultra Moon/Sun releasing on Switch later would also fall into latter hypothesis.

zeromcd73

So going back to the series and comparing the original Japanese release dates to those of the updated versions

Green/Red -> Yellow; 2 years
Gold/Silver -> Crystal; 2 years
Ruby/Sapphire -> Emerald; 2 years
Diamond/Pearl -> Platinum; 2 years
Black/White - > Black/White2; 2 years
Sun/Moon - > UltraSun/Moon; 1 year

What happened here?

Ydelnae

Like I said in the Direct thread, last month someone posted a thread in 4chan about 3DS getting two new games called Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and then Switch getting Eclipse later and said that one of the versions was a sequel and the other one wasn't.

Can't find the thread right now, maybe someone else has it saved.

If the alternative story isn't as tedious as the original, and actually lets me play the game instead of bombarding me with dreadful dialogue and exposition every 30 seconds, then I might actually pick one of these up. I never did make it through Sun.

Archtreyz

I have a feeling they announced this today because the Stars version will be announced at E3. I mean, I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want to upset the 3DS community and can still make some change by releasing US and UM, and then new adopters of the Switch will get the Stars version. Most likely because the 3DS couldn't run a Stars version.

Azuran

Banned
Today is one of the greatest day in video game history.

Eurogamer BTFO

People who sold their 3DS expecting that rumor to be true BTFO

Thank you Game Freak for giving us this moment.

I'm confused here (well, not really, but let's say I am).

Because the games are 3DS exclusive, they're lazy, creatively bankrupt, are basically a full priced DLC pack, etc., but if they were on the Switch, everyone would be happy about the announcement?

As I noted in the other thread this really sucks because no way am I buying a 3DS at this point in its life cycle and I missed Sun and Moon completely thinking it was coming to Switch. So now I'm gonna miss that entire gen when I've heard its one of the best. Really a bummer.

But not surprising. This is TPC

Zedark

So they are releasing on the Switch, but the release date hasn't been announced yet? Would be a very strange MO to release it later imo,

To everyone saying I can't believe people expected a switch Pokémon stars version...

Hd assets, upscaling. We've seen it with our own eyes. This is why we expected it. It's not hard to comprehend. Switch is a mobile console. It makes sense. It's not wild speculation.

Yup. Just look at MHXX.

Capcom > GameFreak

Top Bottom