• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

DrDogg

As a soul calibur fiend there's no way I wasn't checking out what the soul calibur queen is up to :p
Never wished I knew french until now.

I didn't watch very long. It didn't seem as though she knew what she was doing. Doesn't look like she takes the game seriously... even though she was invited to the invitational. But hey, free trip to LA.

Totakeke

Damage numbers on every ARM.
BlP4rrK.jpg

NktZ84M.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XZseN1_9g

Dragoshi1

I hope Kid Cobra is really good, otherwise I'll still be maining Mechanica.

I noticed many players who used her didn't know she can either hover in the air, hover across the ground, or hover at all!

Her mobility is really good, she feels like a faster Mummy.

NotLiquid

I hope Kid Cobra is really good, otherwise I'll still be maining Mechanica.

I noticed many players who used her didn't know she can either hover in the air, hover across the ground, or hover at all!

Her mobility is really good, she feels like a faster Mummy.

I will say that Hedlok with Kid Cobra's body was the one iteration of him that gave me the most consistent amount of trouble during the Testpunch. He was all over the place. I dunno if there's a pattern in there but I'm going to assume he's going to be devilish in high level play.

Totakeke

Also, it should be noted that these are upgraded numbers (stated in the video, just want to clarify).

Yeah, I think he has a valid point that the game was probably ultimately balanced on the plus arms anyway since they can't be turned off and that some of them actually add damage to grabs.

Well, at least Andre from GameXplain echoed most of my sentiments about the controls :)

I suggested different lobbies, he wishes you could see which controls your opponent is using. That would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlWSP4tzQ-w

I think I am going to buy it, to support Nintendo for such a great idea, and just play the party mode with motion controls.

Darko

Just 3d printed these, they are awsome, great grip and you no longer have to use the strap.. i will definatley be using these at launch :)

IMG_2666.jpg
Not my design btw i found the files online

DrDogg

Well, at least Andre from GameXplain echoed most of my sentiments about the controls :)

I suggested different lobbies, he wishes you could see which controls your opponent is using. That would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlWSP4tzQ-w

I think I am going to buy it, to support Nintendo for such a great idea, and just play the party mode with motion controls.

After listening to Andre's review, I don't think he's good enough at the game to say one control option is superior to another. He claimed motion controls weren't as good because he can't block well.

IMO blocking is a rarity in this game and not something that will make a huge difference. The only time I blocked was when the opponent activated a super and I wasn't sure if I could evade the whole thing.

I hate that Plus Arms are a thing. Have to grind to make it fair

It's only +10 damage on attacks and +5 damage on throws in rare instances. The difference isn't significant IMO. Although having to get the first 270 Arms is bad enough. Having to do it again for the upgrade is just poor game design.

Peléo;239673601 said:
Tried to access the vods, but couldn't. Hopefully will be able to catch you streaming next time.

I basically don't stream, so my channel isn't even big enough to offer vods unfortunately. If I catch people online again I will stream though.

Hasney

Was just watching Channel 4's election coverage and an advert for ARMS came on, really bigging up "from the makers of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe".

I bet this does some goddamn business.

NotLiquid

Looks like 2GGaming, which is currently host of the biggest Smash 4 circuit, is looking to incorporate ARMS into their major July national - even making it the namesake of the tournament. Last month was Greninja Saga which drafted all top Greninja players from around the world, this month is Nairo Saga which focuses on the 3rd best Smash 4 player, his rivalries and his "waifu war" ladder series, and next month will, from the looks of it, be ARMS Saga.

https://twitter.com/2GGaming/status/872908260986179584

1K retweet in 24 hrs and July is #2GGC #ARMS Saga

* ARMS Tournament
* Smash 4 singles & dubs
* Lil Mac compendium
* rock em sock em robot

(Currently at 800 retweets after less than an hour and has big community names like D1, Shofu and Etika boosting it).

Pastry

Banned
My guess on DLC content is:

5 addditonal fighters
15 new arms
5 new stages
A couple of new modes

At that point the sequel (if one happens) already has 15 fighters to work with.

Zedark

5 addditonal fighters
15 new arms
5 new stages
A couple of new modes

That would be solid, but they didn't promise new modes, right?

Peléo

5 addditonal fighters
15 new arms
5 new stages
A couple of new modes

Actually thinking about it, creating a new Arms character should be less time consuming than your average figthing game simply due to the number of different moves.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting no new modes, since they didn't announce that during the Direct.

Doorman

Peléo;239679875 said:
Actually thinking about it, creating a new Arms character should be less time consuming than your average figthing game simply due to the number of different moves.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting no new modes, since they didn't announce that during the Direct.

At the least I don't think it's going to be as intensive as creating someone new for, say, Street Fighter, where you have to design and balance an entire moveset. ARMS properties have to be built somewhat-independently to make sure they can work on the whole cast, so most of what you see so far is changes to things like speed, mobility options (dashes and air movement, etc), evasion (Twintelle's arm-slowing, Helix's....being Helix), ARM charge properties (Min Min and Spring Man), deflection, or defense (super armor). Every character seems to take two particular properties or special movements to combine together. With only so many particular control inputs and a limited number of character properties to work with, I'm sure they can work out new concepts fairly quickly. It'll be stuff like visual design and animations that'll be the most taxing part of it.

DrDogg

I'm starting to get matches in with better players and it's bringing out some real frustrations with the game.

- Kid Cobra's stage.
- How you block.
- Having only 3 Arms to choose from (minor).
- Not being able to use the right analog stick to curve Arms (minor).

I don't think I can play this game if at least those first two aren't addressed. It's just... bad. I just played several Twintelle mirror matches in ranked and lost every one mainly because I couldn't get to my block in time. Is it that difficult to make block an actual button or even just let me remap the controls?

I'm starting to get matches in with better players and it's bringing out some real frustrations with the game.

- Kid Cobra's stage.
- How you block.
- Having only 3 Arms to choose from (minor).
- Not being able to use the right analog stick to curve Arms (minor).

I don't think I can play this game if at least those first two aren't addressed. It's just... bad. I just played several Twintelle mirror matches in ranked and lost every one mainly because I couldn't get to my block in time. Is it that difficult to make block an actual button or even just let me remap the controls?
The controls are the way they are because they need to compensate for Motion Controls and single Joycon controls.

If this project was an indi game instead of an "expensive" Nintendo project from one of it's main teams, the director would' ve probably made motion controls the only way to play, so everyone would be on equal terms while the game retains it's uniqueness.

The controls are the way they are because they need to compensate for Motion Controls and single Joycon controls.

If this project was an indi game instead of an "expensive" Nintendo project from one of it's main teams, the director would' ve probably made motion controls the only way to play, so everyone would be on equal terms while the game retains it's uniqueness.

Does the Special Rush need a dedicated button? Even on single joycon controls it gets a dedicated button while blocking is left stick click.

You'll need the Rush two or three times a game while blocking is an active tool with many benefits that you can do at any point. It makes no sense at all to put block on one of the most awkward button available and give the least used action a shoulder button.

Does the Special Rush need a dedicated button? Even on single joycon controls it gets a dedicated button while blocking is left stick click.

You'll need the Rush two or three times a game while blocking is an active tool with many benefits that you can do at any point. It makes no sense at all to put block on one of the most awkward button available and give the least used action a shoulder button.
You are proving my point.

In the specific case of Guard mapping, is in the most ackward way possible in the 3 traditional control options (JoyGrip, Pro, Joycon) as a concession to Motion Controls since making a slight finger movement takes a lot less effort than moving the 2 hands into Guard position.

In the case of one of DrDogg suggestions, curving with the right analog, that's a concession to single Joycon play since it doesn't feature a secong analog.

What doesn't make any sense, is not allowing SR and SL to be used for punches in single Joycon play. This is the only place where a player should be able to chose a different button mapping since it doesn't compromise balance. SL and SR for punches with strap or A and B for punches if the player finds SR and SL too small in case the Joycon doesn't have a strap attached, for example if the Swicth is being played on the go.

Another senless decision is not allowing ZL for changing targets in motion controls. Why mirror the same function in 2 different buttons? i don't think a lefty would have a big disadvantage having Rush in it's right hand instead of the left one.

In a somehwat related note, i just can't believe the team is not aware of the fact that there's a pretty clear control method that will be favored for optimal play. So it warrants the inclusion for a way to clearly indicate what control method each player it's using. This was suggested before the test punch when traditional control were confirmed.

DrDogg

In the case of one of DrDogg suggestions, curving with the right analog, that's a concession to single Joycon play since it doesn't feature a secong analog.

I'm not even referring to the ability to control each Arm curve individually. I just find it much easier to control curve with the right analog stick instead of the same analog you're using for general movement.

Since the only thing the right analog does now is control which opponent you target in team or FFA fights (which the game frustratingly does automatically anyway), I don't think the change would be that big of a deal.

Also, if controls are the way they are in an attempt to level the playing field then this game was never meant to be competitive. Didn't the devs say they think motion is the optimal way to play? If that's the case then traditional controls need the help. ;)

DKL

Remember, I did discuss that you don't actually need to block on reaction in this game...

Just begin holding the input during the recovery frames of your animations to get it on the earliest frame possible.

(you can hold the thing while dashing around and it really shortens the windows in which you get hit... I think wide throws may or may not bop these though and force people to react with jump)

At that point, you really only get hit by throws or while you're caught in a situation where you can't cancel the animation recovery.

Like, it's really cumbersome on all control schemes (I can't even do it consistently with motion controls because of how rapidly you need to go between a bunch of gestures), but it's really powerful because you can deprioritize block with any of the actions, but it goes back up really quickly once you stop doing things.

(so like... there's actually no reason to never be inputting a block input while falling after an air dash or jump since you should have enough time if you begin holding it while you're in the air)

Inb4 modded controllers that have guard always pressed down :v

(but yeah... on paper, I can actually just play an entire set without ever letting go of the block input... it will hurt my hands tho)

DrDogg

(but yeah... on paper, I can actually just play an entire set without ever letting go of the block input... it will hurt my hands tho)

This is the problem. My thumb hurts after playing this game, and since I've played daily it hasn't had a chance to recover. Blocking is not fun. In the situations I was getting hit, I could block, I just couldn't get the analog stick pressed in time.

I don't like buffering block because it shortens your dash, but doing that would hurt my thumb even more.

Can't wait for this Friday. Going to grab this and see if I can get some Neon Yellow Joy Cons. Between ARMS, Mario Kart, and Zelda....the Switch is amazing.

Biske

Those Yellow Joy Cons... hnnnnng

Edit: And of course, how does the guy play? Grab Spam... the key especially when you know you out class the person or they are new. What. a. dick. Also doesn't tell her how to use the special? Kind of a shitty demo guy.

Like, they play Hoops, and he doesn't tell her the primary mechanic/way to score, which is throwing. She even asks if there is dunking and he is like oh yeah, but doesn't say how you dunk.

I can't get over how aggravating this guy is.

Totakeke

Video of someone who has sold their soul to ARMS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUJV4FAuwM

Those are some pretty precise skillshots. It also shows that you don't get duplicates past the first +.

Edit: He has some pretty good insights on the characters after he unlocks all the arms. At ~47mins he mentioned developers said mid-level players play super defensively while high level players play extremely aggressively, anyone know where he got that from?

DKL

That video is actually really interesting.

On top of his accuracy in arms getter (which I think is only possible with motion controls because of how late he's curving both arms), he brings up a lot of his testing and his insights into Cobra is pretty neat.

(dash is 30 frames, but Kid Corbra can skip recovery and actually do stuff on the 31st frame with his charged dashes... going by his movement options, it seems like the fastest way to get around is jump, land, dash, dash, jump, but I don't know for sure)

On that note, I was watching videos and it seems like point blank throws are 10 frames from initiation to when it contacts a character (using YT frame by frame function)... but I'll wait for someone else to do more definitive testing.

But yeah, still watching, but it's a cool video.

DrDogg

Video of someone who has sold their soul to ARMS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUJV4FAuwM

Those are some pretty precise skillshots. It also shows that you don't get duplicates past the first +.

Edit: He has some pretty good insights on the characters after he unlocks all the arms. At ~47mins he mentioned developers said mid-level players play super defensively while high level players play extremely aggressively, anyone know where he got that from?

Not sure where he's getting that from, but I disagree. In most cases developers don't know what the highest level of play is for their fighting games, so it's not surprising the devs think that aggressive play is the highest level. Not saying they're wrong, but I would love to know how they came up with that.

I do think it's funny that Leafy calls me out. Well, I assume he's calling me out since I'm a "dash-spamming Twintelle" who is vulnerable at the end of a dash. Oddly enough I don't think Leafy has beat me in a full health 1v1 match and we've played a bunch of times. Guess dash-spamming Twintelle works against him... ;) I actually don't agree with a good 50% of what he's saying in terms of strategies, but whatevs.

Anyway, I can see how you'd play this game aggressively, but you'd have to have near perfect reads to make that play style work. If you stay at point-blank range with a fast pair of Arms you can go to town with single Arm attacks and even throws, but you won't get any damage unless you're predicting dashes or getting throws. I'm terrible at reading in fighting games, so I can't even properly test that theory.

On that note, I was watching videos and it seems like point blank throws are 10 frames from initiation to when it contacts a character (using YT frame by frame function)... but I'll wait for someone else to do more definitive testing.

But yeah, still watching, but it's a cool video.

I did a lot of testing. I can't really see people reacting to throws at close range, so you were definitely right about that. You have to read that you're about to get thrown to evade or interrupt a point blank throw.

A little interview about the character design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo Explains How It Came Up With Min Min's Unique Design In Arms

Whether Nintendo fans are buzzing about the fabulousness of Twintelle, or the creepiness of Helix, it’s clear that Arms’ characters are already inspiring fierce fandoms. But when I asked Arms art director Masaaki Ishikawa, about the team’s favorite fighter over email, I got the lowdown on Min Min, and how the developers came up with such a distinctive concept for a fighter.

Min Min’s character is a kickboxer based on ramen. Her arms and her hair look tasty noodles, and she’s outfitted in sneakers and bike shorts. But the best part of her outfit is her hat, which is shaped like traditional ramen bowls.

“She’s a female character that’s not too cutesy, and her sporty outfit—including the ramen bowl inspired beanie and dragon motif accessories—also contributes to her popularity,” Ishikawa said.

That sporty design was inspired by fashion that the team saw on the streets of Japan.

“Back when the character was in development, we saw a lot of women wearing shallow beanies over here in Japan. This was right around the time when we were thinking about a ramen-themed female character,” he said. “It hit us that maybe we can cleverly combine this beanie fashion with an upside-down ramen bowl. That’s how it got incorporated into the design.”

Since her hat was a bowl, Ishikawa and the Arms team wanted Min Min’s hair to have a noodle motif.

“[It] widens out at the end resembles the curves of uncooked ramen noodles,” he said. “We also thought this hairstyle would go well with a beanie. That’s how Min Min’s hairstyle came about.”

According to Ishikawa, the team tried to strike a balance between femininity and athleticism for the female characters.

“We made the face and facial expressions feel like something out of an animated movie to give a sense of familiarity. We arranged the facial parts by centering them around the eyes, taking into account the positioning and balance,” Ishikawa said. “We thought we could create simple and easy to read expressions that the audience can relate to.”

The characters certainly are expressive, with huge doe eyes and over the top animations. Min Min, for example, has a strong athletic body that poses sharply while while she fights. But her face is almost Disney-like. Striking the balance between athletic character animations and an expressive, feminine face was a focus for the team. To that end, they gave the female characters powerful character animations and toned musculature. That approach to design would also help players read how the characters move.

“When facing away from the screen, the legs convey the most information about how the character will move,” Ishikawa said. “We designed the legs to have clear definition so movements are easy to see even from a distance. As a result, the silhouettes of the characters resemble those of trained athletes.”

------------------------------------------------------------------

See article for more and some concept art
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-explains-how-it-came-up-with-min-mins-unique-d-1795969546

Top Bottom