• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 CG Trailer (prequel, online or solo, early access?)

What did you fucking think of the fucking Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pachimari

In the gameplay segment that we see in the background while the narrative director and Ancel were talking the monkey is flying around in a jetpack. I could imagine they'll go with multiple characters, just like you had a brief sequence of playing the pig in BGE1.
Where can I see this gameplay segment?

prudislav

Ancel seemed to imply that in the twitch interview. Friends can drop in and help you out if they're further along in the story.
hope so , i quite fear of it becoming this

JpvTzfw.png

Ran rp

If there's a character creator I hope it's multiplayer only. Give me my charismatic MPC.

edit: wait multiplayer is seamless :/

edit: I need a Ubisoft account for SMP :/

edit: oh, i have one... and i've been earning points for years? what? lol

Ran rp

You know, it'd be real shitty if you were heavily involved in the SMP and you end up having to wait a year after release to play it because it's exclusive to Switch.

remz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6R6EN-soJ0

That's a BG&E sequel I'd be really overexcited for. Not some adolescent nonsense with gratuitous swearing and jiggling breast physics (remember when the original was acclaimed for its female lead being realistically proportioned and nonsexualised? This trailer doesn't!). I see little to no relation between what was shown in the trailer and the affably silly charms of the original. It's like they just slapped the BG&E title on some game they already had in development to give it a bit of a platform. Not great, Bob.

Apart from the character change, is the trailer here really that different? Both have a police chase, characters dodging shooting, both are set in an "india" esque city with a lot of verticality. Both have a flying vehicle chase at the end. They're both very clearly in the same universe of BG&E and I think "slapping the name" on an unrelated game is a pretty ridiculous thing to think when EVERYTHING about the visuals and setting are very clearly informed by the first game.

If anything, watching that makes me think they've been iterating on the same game from back to get to here, because you can see so much of the seeds of what the trailer showed in the old demo .

Lime

Twitch interview is here; it starts at around 28:47.

Summing this up:

• A different planet than the original BGE. You will discover the pillars of this world
  • Hybrids: half human, half animals, created by humans to colonize planets that are too toxic.
  • We want to explain to the player what the world is about, how all of this is connected and the trailer is a part of that
  • Everything is connected to the first game, you will recognize the races in BGE1, Ancel likes the first sentence: Where is your master, I don't deal with domesticated.
  • There is a religion thing with the Pey statue.
  • We try to work very deeply with the world before anything else. Where is it and why? What is the history behind all of this?
  • We've never made such a big game, so for them as the team, it's a big challenge.
  • We worked for 3 years to have the proper technology to execute on our big dreams for this game
  • It allows us to travel across planets, planets with a lot of detail like cities, gravity, moons, etc.
  • The Chinese restaurant sequence to the city to jumping into space is based on the game design - going from small scale to large scale. It's like GTA in space.
  • When you take a picture, you are creating a moment. We want to have meta information on the pictures players take. And then you can show the photo to a NPC that the NPC reacts to.
  • The technology has two components: 1 is the scale, 2 is the online. The game allows for both solo play and you can call a friend to help you with completing a mission. We want players to share the adventure together. It's an adventure you can play alone or with friends. Like BGE1 using the help of your companions, so too can you use other players to overcome the challenges of the game.
  • Closed-doors internal demo this E3, but you will hear a lot from the team in 2017 about the game.

AniHawk

Summing this up:

• A different planet than the original BGE. You will discover the pillars of this world
  • Hybrids: half human, half animals, created by humans to colonize planets that are too toxic.
  • Explain to the player what the world is about, how all of this is connected and the trailer is a part of that
  • Everything is connected to the first game, you will recognize the races in BGE1, Ancel likes the first sentence: Where is your master, I don't deal with domesticated.
  • We try to work very deeply with the world before anything else. Where is it and why? What is the history behind all of this?
  • We've never made such a big game, so for them as the team, it's a big challenge.
  • We worked for 3 years to have the proper technology to execute on our big dreams for this game
  • It allows us to travel across planets, planets with a lot of detail like cities, gravity, moons, etc.
  • The Chinese restaurant sequence to the city to jumping into space is based on the game design - going from small scale to large scale. It's like GTA in space.
  • When you take a picture, you are creating a moment. We want to have meta information on the pictures players take. And then you can show the photo to a NPC that the NPC reacts to.
  • The technology has two components: 1 is the scale, 2 is the online. The game allows for both solo play and you can call a friend to help you with completing a mission. We want players to share the adventure together. It's an adventure you can play alone or with friends. Like BGE1 using the help of your companions, so can you use other players to overcome the challenges of the game.
  • You will hear a lot from the team in 2017 about the game.

this all sounds incredible

TriAceJP

15 years after a giant cliffhanger ending and a long time development hell and we get a prequel.

You can't make this stuff up.

They are going in a weird direction with the overly adult themes, but I loved the original BGE so sure man. I'll take it.

Pachimari

So if I have signed up at their website (it says I signed up for their newsletter) does that mean I have signed up to be notified for the beta, or that I signed up for the beta itself?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I am 100% okay with it being a prequel. Jumping back into the past seems like the best way to resolve some of the cliffhangers from the original game. The woman we saw near the end looks like it could be Jade's mom, and Ancel's comments in the trailer breakdown seem to back that up. We also got concept art last year that looks like it could be Jade's dad and young Pey'j.

Maaaaan, I really hope this somehow shows up in BG&E2. Cyberpunk street samurai dude that may or may not be Jade's dad + possible young Pey'j looked like such a cool bunch of characters.

GlamFM

Banned
So if I have signed up at their website (it says I signed up for their newsletter) does that mean I have signed up to be notified for the beta, or that I signed up for the beta itself?

5QyXhrj.png

Edit: Boy I did a great job at pointing these arrows at the beta sign up part of the URL...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The technology has two components: 1 is the scale, 2 is the online. The game allows for both solo play and you can call a friend to help you with completing a mission. We want players to share the adventure together. It's an adventure you can play alone or with friends. Like BGE1 using the help of your companions, so too can you use other players to overcome the challenges of the game.

Oh so it is possible to play this sp all the way through if you want? That's great news. I'm back on the train.

Pachimari

Wait, I think I've only signed up for the newsletter as I didn't get a choice to choose a platform. Anyone have the link to the website again?

CHC

The online doesn't sound too bad or intrusive, which is good. Hopefully it will be fulfilling to play solo.

The rest sounds amazing. I never actually played the first game so I have no expectations with regards to story or whatever - this all looks fresh and cool to me.

Pachimari

Reading the description it does seem like it's a single player experience like in Watch Dogs 2 and you asking for assistance by online friends. Kind of like other players can pop up in your solo play in Watch Dogs. This makes me slightly more calm, and now I'm more curious about the final product.

By rechecking the trailer, it's awesome that so much details and characters has been preserved from the first game: Mamago Rhinos, Air hockey Shark are there, and M-Disk is still used to preserve informations!

scamander

Banned
Unf.

It only gives you the option to choose game systems that are linked with your uplay account

I don't own a current gen console, so that can't be it. Maybe I will skip the switch for now, as I already have a huge backlog on Wii U and 3DS and get a PS4 instead later this year. Usually I prefer handheld gaming, but I'm kinda underwhelmed by Nintendo's release schedule so far. Too many multiplayer focused games for my liking and too many safe and uninspired rehashes (Kirby, Yoshi). On the other hand I'd really like to play Ni No Kuni 2, Shadow of Colossus or The Last Guardian (among others).

Shredderi

Extremely glad to read that we will be hearing more about the game in this year. Man I'm so pumped for this. A proper open world set in a world like this? Sign me in!

UrbanRats

Summing this up:

• We want to explain to the player what the world is about, how all of this is connected and the trailer is a part of that
  • The technology has two components: 1 is the scale, 2 is the online. The game allows for both solo play and you can call a friend to help you with completing a mission. We want players to share the adventure together. It's an adventure you can play alone or with friends. Like BGE1 using the help of your companions, so too can you use other players to overcome the challenges of the game.
  • Closed-doors internal demo this E3, but you will hear a lot from the team in 2017 about the game.

Gameplay screenshot (sorry if already posted)

nSMxDvQ.png
Sounds very ambitious, worryingly so.
I hope they manage to pull it off.

Especially since WiLD sounds just as massive and ambitious.

Ancel is developing my two most anticipated games right now, lol.

Lime

this all sounds incredible

Deep down, I know I shouldn't get too excited, because each and every time a video game announcement has featured "earth to space scale" talk, I've been hugely disappointed by the final product. But damn:.

Remember talk is cheap and there are so many instances of game design ideas that overpromise until they crash down when finally being implemented. People can have great ideas, but it doesn't mean that they'll be executed.

I'd wait with any hype stuff until we actually see gameplay and concrete and specific instantiations of their game design ideas.

Jayveer

After giving it a few days I feel a bit better about this game, as people are saying there's a single player only mode, and the 'early access' thing is just them them getting feedback via the forums on what people want in the game. As they said there's a behind closed doors gameplay presentation at least there's some gameplay development to it. The chimp sounding like someone from a council estate in Peckham is charming I guess.

dosh

Remember talk is cheap and there are so many instances of game design ideas that overpromise until they crash down when finally being implemented. People can have great ideas, but it doesn't mean that they'll be executed.

I'd wait with any hype stuff until we actually see gameplay and concrete and specific instantiations of their game design ideas.

I'm usually quite good at the not-getting-too-much-excited part of the video games annoucements to be honest. But they're really trying to lure me in with the "Female space pirate and her crew of ragtag mates (including a talking monkey) exploring the universe in a Captain Harlock's spaceship" stuff.

Of course, I entirely agree with everything you just said. But it's fun to get hyped a little bit once in a while (all the while knowing you're going to be super disappointed when they show actual gameplay in a few months).

Lime

I'm usually quite good at the not-getting-too-much-excited part of the video games annoucements to be honest. But they're really trying to lure me in with the "Female space pirate and her crew of ragtag mates (including a talking monkey) exploring the universe in a Captain Harlock's spaceship" stuff.

Of course, I entirely agree with everything you just said. But it's fun to get hyped a little bit once in a while (all the while knowing you're going to be super disappointed when they show actual gameplay in a few months).

Totally with you. I told myself that whatever amazing thing I'll see at E3 won't get released for a long time, so no reason to waste my time and spend my energy and attention on something that won't be out for a long time, especially when I already have a huge backlog for games released in 2016 and 2017.

Then I saw the BGE2 trailer and I loved everything about it - narrative tone, characters, environmental art, music. Easily my favorite trailer at this year's E3. I'm very excited for the game, but right now it's merely worthless dreams and hopes :lol

Dash_

^ Beautiful art.

To echo others, I'd have less of a problem with this game if the BG&E name wasn't attached.

Maybe it's all a feint and it'll include time travel where you go to the end of the first game at some point.

As for the swearing. Felt like they were channeling the spirit of David Simon in that Bunk/McNulty scene.

Lime

If Shani is the MC, i hope there's some character customization, so i can recreate Mara, from Frezzato's Les Gardiens du Maser.
That graphic novel influenced my art style a lot as a teen.

Wow, UrbanRats, that's some amazing art. You seem to be pretty familiar / experienced with some great comic art, could you throw out or PM me some high recommendations along these lines? I know that's a pretty broad request, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Top Bottom