• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Youtube trailer views for E3 2017

Considering Halo wars 2 has several trailers that surpassed 5 mio views, I am not sure if the views mean much, when it comes to sales. I think it's just one aspect of many, so it can't stand by itself, but good reviews and impressions all around as well as making people aware and interested are all contributors to games selling well.

View/Like ratio for Halo Wars 2 was below 1%, which means a lot of the views was boosted by ad views.

Any trailer that has <1% view/like ratio are high suspects for view-count boosting. Unreliable at that point.

Tldr; MS was artificially boosting the view count for some of their trailers via ads.

I would imagine that some press conferences attract fewer viewers, and thus more people watch their trailers as they haven't seen them before. Also, I'd imagine that Sony games would have an increased number of views as Europe was asleep during their press conference and thus many just watched the trailers the day after instead.

Lots of aspects to take into considerations for things like this for sure.

Sanctuary

Nice to see some Gaffers finally come around on Days Gone. I've been saying for months that this community has been way off regarding that one. It's going to be a very successful title.

Horizon, Nioh, Days Gone, God of War and Spider-Man were the only exclusives I've been interested in since last year. So far I'm one of two.

The emergent gameplay of Days Gone is going to be really appealing to people, especially once Twitch streamers start playing it. It's gonna be big.

Ugh. Radiant quests mark II.

What on earth do you see in it? I'm not denying the obvious mainstream appeal of a zombie game but if you're into video games primarily for the gameplay, I don't see what Days Gone offers that dozens of other generic games haven't.

Open World - Check
Third Person Shooting - Check
Driving - Check
Zombies - Check
Light Stealth Elements - Check
Context Sensitive Combat - Check
Crafting - Check
Grizzled but still Attractive White Male Lead - Check
Somber Tone - Check

That's just off the top of my head. Why not just wait for The Last of Us 2 since we all know it'll offer a lot of those elements but will be far superior.

Seems like I just had this conversation. Name more than two AAA games released in the past few years that don't have a checklist resembling every other AAA game. Also, the only thing we "know" for sure is that TLOU 2 will have a hell of a lot of walking and talking too.

Are you two trolling?

What on earth do you see in it? I'm not denying the obvious mainstream appeal of a zombie game but if you're into video games primarily for the gameplay, I don't see what Days Gone offers that dozens of other generic games haven't.

Open World - Check
Driving - Check
Zombies - Check
Crafting - Check
Somber Tone - Check

That's just off the top of my head. Why not just wait for The Last of Us 2 since we all know it'll offer a lot of those elements but will be far superior.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm just glad Monster Hunter World charted at all. Also you'd think the like/dislike ratio would be reversed based on how some are talking here.

Open World - Check
Driving - Check
Zombies - Check
Crafting - Check
Somber Tone - Check

Days Gone is more of a playground where you can approach situations in a number of ways, with variables such as weather conditions impacting the gameplay. It's a different beast.

Spider-Man, God of War and Days Gone looks like a pretty good trio of 2018 exclusives for Playstation. Who knows if the games will be any good but judging by this, they're at the very least popular with the public.

I'd bet any money that God of War will come out in March, wonder if Spidey and Days Gone will be October and November.

R aka Bon

View/Like ratio for Halo Wars 2 was below 1%, which means a lot of the views was boosted by ad views.

Any trailer that has <1% view/like ratio are high suspects for view-count boosting. Unreliable at that point.

Tldr; MS was artificially boosting the view count for some of their trailers via ads.

I am sorry but that is kind of on odd point to make, so what if an ad gets shown, people like that trailer and go like that trailer or what if they don't? That doesn't tells us anything about something being reliable or not. It's purely a metric you made up.

I mean you could conclude that the trailer is also more popular, as well as being viewed a lot, but again that doesn't mean anything when you look at it differently.

The Youtube numbers are interesting :eek:

As for Days Gone, I'm not interested in it due to the biker gang motif, but what appeals to me about it is that it's a AAA zombie game. I LOVE zombies! We need lots more zombie games ^^

Seems like I just had this conversation. Name more than two AAA games released in the past few years that don't have a checklist resembling every other AAA game. Also, the only thing we "know" for sure is that TLOU 2 will have a hell of a lot of walking and talking too.

- Doom
- Overwatch
- Uncharted 4
- The Last Guardian
- Street Fighter V
- Tekken 7
- Vroom Vroom Driving game
- Resident Evil 7
- Pretty much anything Nintendo makes

Most of those were just a years apart and I haven't played every big budget game.
Most of those game not only don't play like your everyday AAA game but they don;t play similarly to one another either. Unless you somehow haven't gotten rnough zombies yet,
why play Days Gone when you could be playing so many other unique games?

Days Gone is more of a playground where you can approach situations in a number of ways, with variables such as weather conditions impacting the gameplay. It's a different beast.

Hard to really buy into this when they still haven't shown any of that.

Glad to see Days Gone up there. Really liking what I've seen/heard of it.

Spider-Man and God of War gonna be huge. Battlefront and Mario too. Hell, a lot of those games are gonna be huge, I think.

Mark my words.

If Days Gone reviews well and has good word of mouth, it will be bigger than Horizon Zero Dawn.

-------

I think they have done a pretty bad job at presenting Days Gone in these gameplay trailers, because most of the people that talked to the devs and saw backstage footage were positive on it.

shandy706

Spiderman is more popular than Batman, Avengers & Superman. COMBINED.

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart.jpg

Dang, that's pretty neat.

Had no idea. I never realized he was so popular.

Insomniac jumping at this opportunity makes sense then.

Prompto

Banned
Did not expect Days Gone to be so high up.

And goddamn at Spider-Man. Nice to see so many people excited for an Insomniac game.

Also surprised Uncharted is so low.

I can't even find the trailer on the PlayStation EU channel, the strongest market for it : |

GT is a strange beast because they are uploading videos first on a separate GT channel, which is not so widely known. So the trailer has 188.000 views there. Then you have the PlayStation US channel and it's quite bad with less than 88.000 views, compared to 3 213 369 views for Forza 7.

Quoting myself here just to note the PlayStation EU finally published the GT Sport trailer. Well, the EU channel is getting few views compared to the US one anyway.

pastrami

I am sorry but that is kind of on odd point to make, so what if an ad gets shown, people like that trailer and go like that trailer or what if they don't? That doesn't tells us anything about something being reliable or not. It's purely a metric you made up.

I mean you could conclude that the trailer is also more popular, as well as being viewed a lot, but again that doesn't mean anything when you look at it differently.

People actively seeking out a trailer are probably much more likely to engage in activities like commenting and liking/disliking the video than someone the trailer played for while they were looking up how to change a tire.

So if you see a low like:view ratio, it's likely that a lot of views come from ads. In other words, those views come from people who probably don't care about the game. So if Halo Wars 2 had a ton of views, but a low like:view ratio, then it's likely that the view count is boosted by ads. That explains why Halo Wars didn't really make a splash, despite having high view counts.

With that said, I don't know that there is any evidence that view count correlates with success either.

People are sleeping on Days Gone, WaddleDee can fly a kite trying to hate on people that are genuinely interested in the game.

Spider-Man has been the biggest and most popular super hero for a long time, well before the Batman Arkham games.

HeelPower

Despite SE consistently mismanaging the franchise,KH seems to have a strong following yet.

Not bad considering the long wait and constant fuck ups.

Plum

I couldn't care less about Days Gone and, frankly, I find everything about it very dull but I must give props to Sony and Bend in that they've managed to make a new IP that seems to be a guaranteed success; could be gaming's 'The Walking Dead.'

Surprised to see Mario X Rabbids so high. Wonder whether that's due to the novelty/curiosity factor or whether people actually find the concept interesting.

I couldn't care less about Days Gone and, frankly, I find everything about it very dull but I must give props to Sony and Bend in that they've managed to make a new IP that seems to be a guaranteed success; could be gaming's 'The Walking Dead.'

Surprised to see Mario X Rabbids so high. Wonder whether that's due to the novelty/curiosity factor or whether people actually find the concept interesting.
Mario.

Hex

Banned
1250746192758.jpg

I'll have it fixed... later. This list will be defunct in a few days time once Mario climbs up the view chart. It is has by far the most view-count growth speed of any trailer in E3.

And there it is.
Kind of alot of work when you could have just said that in the op
Page views, likes are very misleading.
I get most from ign, nerdist, and others and not official links unless they hit my feed first and usually they dont

sheamus

We all learned that views mean nothing......

How many views did COD infinity warfare get and then it was widely hated???

like it matters really. people still buy it

2016 Top 10 Games

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Battlefield 1
The Division
NBA 2K17
Madden NFL 17
Grand Theft Auto V
Overwatch (no Battle.net sales)
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
FIFA 17
Final Fantasy XV

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/2016s-best-selling-games-in-the-us-revealed/1100-6447090/

Top Bottom