• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Spiderman's QTEs/button prompts get a free pass while other games got crucified?

sublimit

Banned
EDIT:OK IT SEEMS MY IMPRESSION WAS WRONG.MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS.

I remember games like Ryse and The Order got quite a bit of a backlash due to how many QTEs and button prompts they showed in their trailers however i find it strange how no one seems to be bothered now with Spiderman's trailer being besically a QTE/button prompt fest.

Is it because Spiderman is a popular and beloved IP?

Puruzi

Banned
QTEs in gameplay vs QTEs in a huge setpiece.

Spiderman did not have QTEs in the gameplay.

And loads of people are complaining about them anyway so

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What? There's been a TON of comments regarding the QTEs. The difference is that the devs confirmed there's a lot more "game" game in there and that the demo was just a cool scene with lots of stupid stuff happening that would be super janky with free controls.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Did you read the alternative NeoGAF version?

Search for "qte fest" and then redo your thread premise.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Urm it didn't quite a few poster including myself, a die hard Spider-Man fan, were critical of the Quick time event.

I even ended up canceling my pre-order as that wasn't what I wanted.

Realeza

Banned
People are actually criticizing this. While the action looks cool, if a good chunk of the game is cinematic BS like that, it will be disappointing.

Neff

I'm not sure it is getting a free pass. I've heard lots of criticism about the footage, especially the fact that Sony let the end of their conference essentially hang on a string of simple cinematic button presses.

It did look nice, though.

HeatBoost

I'm pretty sure they don't, as I've seen nothing but complaints about them.

But assuming the game shakes out like I imagine, it'll only be a few highly scripted moments, with the rest consisting of Arkham-y stealth/combat and trademark Spider-Man web swinging shenanigans

Weird thread. There's no free pass. There are many more thread and discussion and developer acknowledgement on it.

And the game isn't even out yet. And QTE has always been part of Spiderman games before.

This thread is a missed QTE.

o8POsac.gif

EDarkness

I don't mind QTEs, but damn, Spider-Man has a ton of them. At least from what we saw in the gameplay video. I do wonder how people will feel about that once it's released.

Zukkoyaki

It got a lot of flack for the QTE heavy presentation. But most understand that it was a cinematic story set-piece that's hardly indicative of the game's full experience. This was also confirmed by the devs.

Khezu

Ya, that game didn't look super hot.

Combat also didn't look good. Almost looked Batmany, which I'm not a fan of.

But I only watched the video from the Sony conference.

Free pass?

People have been shitting on them since the demo. Insomniac had to come out and say its only for big set story pieces.

Personally hoping they just add a option to turn them off. QTE's add nothing to anything. I think Uncharted 4 and a few other games just let you turn them off entirely.

sublimit

Banned
Yeah i have seen a few people complaining but i think it's nowhere even near to the backlash games like The Order and Ryse got.I don't know maybe i had the wrong impression.

Made the demo considerably worse though at least they didn't hide the button prompts.
The gameplay didn't seem very interesting. They didn't show off enough web swinging which is the whole point of the game...but I imagine the game will still be pretty good which is why it hasn't gotten more flack.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The QTEs were part of a setpiece, not sure why people are getting up in arms about it

Because people want to play the game not watch a glorified cinematic trying to pretend that it's part of the gameplay.

I want to play as Spider-Man climbing up the falling crane and trying to stop the get away helicopter not watch it and mindlessly press a button when the prompt pops up reminding me "Oh yeah this is suppose to be a £40 video game and not a £40 movie."

LionPride

Banned
Man do better

One game uses QTEs and is basically just QTEs

The other uses em during large setpiece scenes like other popular games

I mean they're not getting a pass. I don't like QTEs much. They break up gameplay too much and often could have just been a contextual gameplay mechanic like Ninja Gaiden 2 executions and Devil May Cry 4's Buster Arm.

nynt9

lol OP you tried but you failed. Every thread involving the game has many comments about it. I don't know under what rock you're living or what agenda you're trying to push. It is egregious, but everyone has already called it out.

Loudninja

People going this crazy over seconds of QTE

That isn't a QTE, he is web zipping to the sign right as it explodes which triggers that special animation / camera. The player doesn't have to hit that at all

For instance if the water tower doesn't explode he would've zipped to the top of it, but since it did it changed the animation so he lands and vaults off

90%?

you mean like the 20-30 seconds of QTEs in that 9 minute demo?

Capella

Yeah i have seen a few people complaining but i think it's nowhere even near to the backlash games like The Order and Ryse got.I don't know maybe i had the wrong impression.
It could be that despite the concern over QTEs the rest of what they showed looks fun to play?

EDIT: Like it was pointed out above, QTEs didn't even make up a significant portion of what we saw. On the first watch it felt like there were a lot of them but watching the demo again, they are mostly towards the end during scripted scenes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've seen it called out in every single thread about the game since that trailer. Not sure what you're talking about OP

Van Bur3n

I once saw someone in another thread claim Spider-Man was getting crucified yet other games are getting a pass.

I'd say the true answer is that they're all shitty and we should all play better games until developers stop with this cinematic bullshit. Easy.

My question is why do people whine about QTEs in general. It's impossible to meld that level of cinematics with gameplay, in most cases.

The scaffold scene for instance, it was falling and they wanted Spiderman to swing all around it. A QTE is perfect for this. Nobody would have bitched if it was a quick cut scene that led into the swinging chase scene, which looked like it gave complete control, by the way.

Top Bottom