• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer: Spiderman: E3 2017 Gameplay Technical Analysis PS4Pro

KageMaru

I was just about to post this lol.

Summary very similar to DF's:

-Awesome animation
-very good use of textures
-some of the best motion blur in a game
-4K using temporal injection (he suspects from a base resolution of 1440p)
-excellent material shaders
-pop-up kept to a bare minimum, not noticeable unless you really look
-highlights some differences with lighting and outfit between reveal footage and recent E3 demo

Izuna

Banned
thanks for the thread
;)

the only thing that will make me play this game is if the momentum when swinging feels satisfying. As much as I loved Sunset, I need these things (wall running, swinging etc.) to increase your momentum in the right amount of time so that it feels rewarding. Not Mirror's Edge (instant, small ceiling), not Sonic (slow, gets too fast to control) but Titanfall (perfection).

KageMaru

thanks for the thread
;)

the only thing that will make me play this game is if the momentum when swinging feels satisfying. As much as I loved Sunset, I need these things (wall running, swinging etc.) to increase your momentum in the right amount of time so that it feels rewarding. Not Mirror's Edge (instant, small ceiling), not Sonic (slow, gets too fast to control) but Titanfall (perfection).

I thought the swinging could be a touch faster but the swinging mechanics, along with the wall running and parkour looked excellent.

thanks for the thread
;)

Did you like the amount of momentum we saw in the gameplay video?

I thought the swinging could be a touch faster but the swinging mechanics, along with the wall running and parkour looked excellent.

The animation work is simply incredible. Probably the best I have ever seen alongside Uncharted and God of War.

Izuna

Banned
Did you like the amount of momentum we saw in the gameplay video?

disclaimer, I may not use the correct technical terms here (not the best at physics)

I like Spiderman's top speed isn't achievable outside of pulling him towards something, but I hope it's somewhat tiered in the sense that it acts as a boost that unlocks greater top speeds at least twice or hopefully three times.

It's very delicate. Should the top speed be achievable by detaching at the right point after one swing? I'm less interested in it being realistic but rewarding. I wouldn't like it to feel random like it would if you had to be hyper accurate.

I hope there's a demo.

MattAces

dukgzpyzn24z.jpg

Env2SSO.png

disclaimer, I may not use the correct technical terms here (not the best at physics)

I like Spiderman's top speed isn't achievable outside of pulling him towards something, but I hope it's somewhat tiered in the sense that it acts as a boost that unlocks greater top speeds at least twice or hopefully three times.

It's very delicate. Should the top speed be achievable by detaching at the right point after one swing? I'm less interested in it being realistic but rewarding. I wouldn't like it to feel random like it would if you had to be hyper accurate.

I hope there's a demo.

You'll be happy to know that webswinging is skill-based in Spider-Man PS4. And Insomniac all but confirmed upgradable Spidey powers.

There's still no OG PS4 footage, right? I really don't want to upgrade so I'm very curious what it looks like.

E3 2016 trailer was base PS4 footage.

Shin-Ra

Shortening per-object-motion-blur to "POMB", like POM probably isn't the best idea, even if context makes it obvious to those following along which one is meant.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I keep saying it but this game's temporal injection, high quality AA, and exceptional motion blur are something I hope to see in more titles. I feel like Naughty Dog's games would be flattered pretty well utilizing some of those same techniques.

cackhyena

Listening to Rebel FM and Arthur Gies brought this game up as one of his highlights. He said when he'd talk about it with other devs at E3, they didn't believe it's even shipping in '18. Said what they showed wasn't even a game. No canned animations, etc. Curious if they're in any way right.

Listening to Rebel FM and Arthur Gies brought this game up as one of his highlights. He said when he'd talk about it with other devs at E3, they didn't believe it's even shipping in '18. Said what they showed wasn't even a game. No canned animations, etc. Curious if they're in any way right.

What's the story here? Why wouldn't it be real?

The game was demoed live on a PS4 Pro at E3 in front of people.

Of course they're not right. You really think Sony/Insomniac would show fake footage of Spider-Man at two different E3's?

I do :)

Insomniac Games and Naughty Dog are in my opinion, the most talented development studios in the entire world.

Don't forget about Sony Santa Monica, Rockstar and dare I say GG after HZD.

I keep saying it but this game's temporal injection, high quality AA, and exceptional motion blur are something I hope to see in more titles. I feel like Naughty Dog's games would be flattered pretty well utilizing some of those same techniques.

I agree with you.

Shogmaster Pt II.

Smoke and mirrors.

I have no clue. He was just relaying what other devs at E3 thought. Maybe they just meant most of what was shown was set up in a way to not be played normally?

Even then those devs would be wrong. What we saw at E3 this year was actually part of an early mission in the game.

I think this is by far the best game Insomniac has made in terms of scope, ambition, scale, tech, animation, dedication...

Without a doubt ☺

Any news or confirmation about Stan Lee involvement in the story? I kept reading rumors and speculations.
I hope at least he will have a cameo in the game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The animation in this game is out of this world. Stunning.

and it will get even better since they just hired another Naughty Dog animator.

They already hired the former lead animator from ND.

What is going on over there? let's just hope there is still some talent left for The Last of Us: Part 2 :p

The thing that bothers me with all Sony games is that they heavily target and optimize the base PS4 version of all games and they shift to PS4 PRO version as a last resort.
As a result, the PS4 PRO version only has better resolution and doesn't offer any groundbreaking or very notable differences except from increasing the AA and IQ thanks to higher resolution. There are no reworked assets from the ground up, no higher resolution textures, no better shadows, better lightings, betetr reflections, better particle effects, better motion blur, better AO and the whole list of settings you get from any other game when checking the options on PC.
That is why multiplatform games tend to have much more important and obvious support for PS4 PRO than Sony first party devs because they created multiple assets for different platforms including PC which scales down or up the option as much as users want and depending on the hardware. That is why it is much easier for them to integrate them on PS4 PRO while Sony devs only create singular assets for the base PS4 and just crank up the resolution and sometimes AA which makes the IQ pristine but we don't get a full fledged PS4 PRO version.
That is why I am hoping, after seeing TLOU2 and Death Stranding, that more exclusive games will be built from the ground up on PS4 PRO to take full advantage of its power, then scale down all assets to work on PS4 and both versions will benefit from that.

Aceofspades

Banned

Isn't this guy the biggest xbox fan ever, I remember his name poping a lot during Xbox 2013 meltdowns.

Its no surprise that he tries to bring negative news on anything PS related.

KageMaru

The thing that bothers me with all Sony games is that they heavily target and optimize the base PS4 version of all games and they shift to PS4 PRO version as a last resort.
As a result, the PS4 PRO version only has better resolution and doesn't offer any groundbreaking or very notable differences except from increasing the AA and IQ thanks to higher resolution. There are no reworked assets from the ground up, no higher resolution textures, no better shadows, better lightings, better particle effects, better motion blur, better AO and the whole list of settings you get from any other game when checking the options on PC.
That is why multiplatform games tend to have much more important and obvious support for PS4 PRO than Sony first party devs because they created multiple assets for different platforms including PC which scales down or up the option as much as users want and depending on the hardware. That is why it is much easier for them to integrate them on PS4 PRO while Sony devs only create singular assets for the base PS4 and just crank up the resolution and sometimes AA which makes the IQ pristine but we don't get a full fledged PS4 PRO version.
That is why I am hoping, after seeing TLOU2 and Death Stranding, that more exclusive games will be built from the ground up on PS4 PRO to take full advantage of its power, then scale down all assets to work on PS4 and both versions will benefit from that.

We don't know how Spider-Man will look on the OG PS4. There's a decent chance it could be missing some effects like SSR in spots or a lower sample rate in the motion blur. I wouldn't expect too many games to include improved textures since there is only an extra 500MB of memory on the Pro.

Sn4ke_911

We don't know how Spider-Man will look on the OG PS4. There's a decent chance it could be missing some effects like SSR in spots or a lower sample rate in the motion blur. I wouldn't expect too many games to include improved textures since there is only an extra 500MB of memory on the Pro.

The E3 2016 trailer was on base PS4.

We will see at the end. I hope 2018 will bring better support for PS4 PRO from first party studios.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As a result, the PS4 PRO version only has better resolution and doesn't offer any groundbreaking or very notable differences except from increasing the AA and IQ thanks to higher resolution. There are no reworked assets from the ground up, no higher resolution textures, no better shadows, better lightings, better particle effects, better motion blur, better AO and the whole list of settings you get from any other game when checking the options on PC.
Horizon has improved textures and AF over the base version on top of the 4k checkerboard and runs slightly better in intense situations. That's really the only major exclusive from Sony first party since the Pro released. The others just added support after the fact.

cackhyena

Isn't this guy the biggest xbox fan ever, I remember his name poping a lot during Xbox 2013 meltdowns.

Its no surprise that he tries to bring negative news on anything PS related.
He's said he thought it looked great. He only relayed what other devs told him. Not sure why you have to bring anything else into this.

Is this regarding Shogmaster? What happened with him and this game? I missed the drama.
It started with God of War. He claimed what was shown of God of War was smoke and mirrors. They had only started developing the game after E3 2016 because the reaction to the change was good. He supposedly had sources telling him this.

I was just making a joke about that by calling that Spider-Man info Shog Pt II.

Horizon has improved textures and AF over the base version on top of the 4k checkerboard and runs slightly better in intense situations. That's really the only major exclusive from Sony first party since the Pro released. The others just added support after the fact.

Yeah. I know but we still can't call them major improvements. There is also Infamous:Second Son which increased the particle effects besides the resolution but that is all.

I was expecting to see similar results as Gears Of War 4 on XB O X where the game runs at Native 4K plus the extra graphical improvements, same for Forza 7, but again, like I said before, those games are easy to port on XB O X with improved graphics since they already have higher fidelity assets from the PC version.

Don't get me wrong. All Sony first party games look already outstanding on base PS4, but with the PS4 PRO, everyone is expecting them to look even more, not just clearer.
Sony are the least ones promoting the PS4 PRO: no special or limited edition consoles, GOW latest video wasn't running on PS4 PRO and not even a 4K video for it (I can understand that, since they probably didn't start working on PRO yet), Horizon got only one video running on PRO:at PS Meeting, but even the DLC trailer was running on base PS4, hence the 1080p max quality.
I think this is intentional from Sony, as marketing strategy. I presume they don't want to make the customers feel unsatisfied or skeptical about the base PS4 version, if the PS4 PRO version is the one always shown and looks significantly better than the base one, this may lead to hesitation and decreasing chances of getting the PRO console and the game itself.
Nevertheless, I still want Sony to support the PS4 PRO much more.

KageMaru

The E3 2016 trailer was on base PS4.

Yeah I know and looking back at it, I don't see effects like SSR in the original footage. It's hard to say if something like that is missing from the OG console or if it's something they added later. It'll be interesting to see how the two versions compare.

We will see at the end. I hope 2018 will bring better support for PS4 PRO from first party studios.

I'm sure it will. These teams need time to come to grips with the system, even if it is similar to the base model.

Sn4ke_911

Let's also not forget it's called PS4 Pro for a reason, they will never leave the base model behind. It's not a PS5.

Yeah I know and looking back at it, I don't see effects like SSR in the original footage. It's hard to say if something like that is missing from the OG console or if it's something they added later. It'll be interesting to see how the two versions compare.

I'm sure it will. These teams need time to come to grips with the system, even if it is similar to the base model.

I don't know but when the E3 trailer was shown, there were no reflections on Spider-Man's eyes. Just a couple of months later, at PS Meeting, when showing the PS4 PRO version, they had emphasis on his eyes, showing the reflections. Same for this E3 gameplay video.
We don't know if the reflections on the eyes are exclusive to the PS4 PRO version, or that they exist on base PS4 too but seeing them clearly are the results of the increased resolution on PS4 PRO.

Let's also not forget it's called PS4 Pro for a reason, they will never leave the base model behind. It's not a PS5.

True. But the biggest focus here seems to be targetted much more on the base PS4 than on the PS4 PRO. Sony said that supporting the PS4 PRO, needs just one dev or two. If we go by that, those very limited ressources are dedicated to just increase the resolution. You can't expect anything more if this the only ressources they allocate to the PS4 PRO.
I think the XB O X is getting more attention from all devs, wether third party or first party than the PS4 PRO with Sony own devs.

Top Bottom