• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer: Spiderman: E3 2017 Gameplay Technical Analysis PS4Pro

KageMaru

I don't know but when the E3 trailer was shown, there were no reflections on Spider-Man's eyes. Just a couple of months later, at PS Meeting, when showing the PS4 PRO version, they had emphasis on his eyes, showing the reflections. Same for this E3 gameplay video.
We don't know if the reflections on the eyes are exclusive to the PS4 PRO version, or that they exist on base PS4 too but seeing them clearly are the results of the increased resolution on PS4 PRO.

The effects on the eyes is likely just a cubemap and not something like SSR. I'm sure they got that on the OG PS4 as well.

The effects on the eyes is likely just a cubemap and not something like SSR. I'm sure they got that on the OG PS4 as well.

I don't know but the reflections seemed different to me and moving each time than just a static cubemap. But I need to verify this more precisely when I play the game.
I can understand that it would be demanding to add real SSR to something as small as the eyes, but since Uncharted 4 which added pupil dilation for the eyes, and Naughty Dog being so obsessed with details to the extent that they even added SSR to the mirrors of the jeep and even Nathan's Handwatch, I can expect having real SSR on Spider-Man eyes, especially if they are so big due to the suit and can display noticeable SSR.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
and it will get even better since they just hired another Naughty Dog animator.

They already hired the former lead animator from ND.

What is going on over there? let's just hope there is still some talent left for The Last of Us: Part 2 :p

What?
Their longtime lead gameplay animator is working on TLOU2.

Listening to Rebel FM and Arthur Gies brought this game up as one of his highlights. He said when he'd talk about it with other devs at E3, they didn't believe it's even shipping in '18. Said what they showed wasn't even a game. No canned animations, etc. Curious if they're in any way right.

giphy.gif

Lol

Picture Arthur Gies face on this gif. He would represent the so called "other devs" that we're salty about the extreme quality and polish exuded by Spider-Man to the point where [if this is all even true, mind you] they felt threatened enough by Spider-Man that they had to lash out and throw salt at it.

and it will get even better since they just hired another Naughty Dog animator.

They already hired the former lead animator from ND.

What is going on over there? let's just hope there is still some talent left for The Last of Us: Part 2 :p

Lol the next tweet from Insomniac Games will reveal that Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley have joined Insomniac Games ;)

Listening to Rebel FM and Arthur Gies brought this game up as one of his highlights. He said when he'd talk about it with other devs at E3, they didn't believe it's even shipping in '18. Said what they showed wasn't even a game. No canned animations, etc. Curious if they're in any way right.

This...doesn't make any sense. They played the game on a Pro in front of people behind closed doors. Aside from that, if he actually got word from other developers (which is questionable on its own) that the demo was faked, then why not write a story about it? That certainly seems like a big enough claim to have a feature story on it rather than some random comment on a podcast. In other words, put your site and your reputation on the line behind that rumor.

This...doesn't make any sense. They played the game on a Pro in front of people behind closed doors. Aside from that, if he actually got word from other developers (which is questionable on its own) that the demo was faked, then why not write a story about it? That certainly seems like a big enough claim to have a feature story on it rather than some random comment on a podcast. In other words, put your site and your reputation on the line behind that rumor.

Agreed.

If the behind closed doors demo was indeed faked and other game devs who came by to see it seem to know this for certain, then why not talk about it? Where are the news articles about it?

This just comes off salty as fuck on his part, as well as these "other devs" to be honest.

Averon

Sony faking the demo of their centerpiece game at E3 warrants a dedicated news story. If Gies is confident in his sources, he should report it at large.

"other devs"

Whatever, Gies.

Sony faking the demo of their centerpiece game at E3 warrants a dedicated news story. If Gies is confident in his sources, he should report it at large.

Exactly.

If Gies and these "other devs" really knew this information was true, there would have already been several articles about it. The fact that there hasn't been anything about this in the media since E3 proves that it's just smoke and salt.

i-Lo

I know this may be a very weird comparison but the first thing I thought of when I saw the breakdown (on NX and DF) is think just how far we've come to achieving the fidelity first shown off in SW1313, especially in an open world settings, albeit aside from the obvious differences and the game running on a 4.2TF system as opposed to the base model.

It looks like a significant step ahead of their previous work in Sunset Overdrive with regards to jarring LoD pop ins and transitions.

What's amazing is that now for the second consecutive E3 one of Sony's games have looked so good that people are convinced that it must be fake. I've really never seen/heard anything like this before. On one hand it's obviously a compliment to have a game look that good, but on the other it really doesn't make sense. What exactly has Sony done this gen that would make people think that they'd fake gameplay? Especially for games as high profile as God of War and Spider-Man. They'd come out looking absolutely terrible if those games launched and didn't look like what we've seen so far.

That's really why these claims are so bizarre. There's really no benefit in this from Sony. They have a ton of good will built up with their first party output. On top of having the best selling console. Why the hell would they then fake gameplay of two major upcoming releases?

What's amazing is that now for the second consecutive E3 one of Sony's games have looked so good that people are convinced that it must be fake. I've really never seen/heard anything like this before. On one hand it's obviously a compliment to have a game look that good, but on the other it really doesn't make sense. What exactly has Sony done this gen that would make people think that they'd fake gameplay? Especially for games as high profile as God of War and Spider-Man. They'd come out looking absolutely terrible if those games launched and didn't look like what we've seen so far.

That's really why these claims are so bizarre. There's really no benefit in this from Sony. They have a ton of good will built up with their first party output. On top of having the best selling console. Why the hell would they then fake gameplay of two major upcoming releases?

Exactly.

All this Arthur Gies side-talk is pure nonsense. You're right, Sony doesn't need to fake anything.

There's nothing about Spider-man's Arkham style gameplay, God of War style QTEs and graphics quality that would suggest it's not possible.

Tell me, what exactly special is this game doing? Nothing.

I don't know but the reflections seemed different to me and moving each time than just a static cubemap. But I need to verify this more precisely when I play the game.
I can understand that it would be demanding to add real SSR to something as small as the eyes, but since Uncharted 4 which added pupil dilation for the eyes, and Naughty Dog being so obsessed with details to the extent that they even added SSR to the mirrors of the jeep and even Nathan's Handwatch, I can expect having real SSR on Spider-Man eyes, especially if they are so big due to the suit and can display noticeable SSR.

SSR applies to the full screen and every surface on screen as long as its material properties are of a certain type. As long as it is not shaded in some special way (for example, it is pretty rare to see materials with subsurface scattering ALSO have SSR, also forward shaded things), it is pretty typical to see SSR on 'everything'. It should not be particularly more difficult programmatically. SSR isn't really "added" to things... it just works.

nOoblet16

SSR is completely useless on eyes, like it won't even work.
The eyes are suppose to reflect what's in front of them, but if you are looking at the eyes then whaatever's in front is offscreen and as such cannot get reflected at all.

Similarly SSR is completely useless on mirrors, which is why what you saw in UC4 on mirrors wasn't SSR but likely a planer reflection or just a dynamic cubemap that changes based on location.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

No one believed Horizon either. That ended up looking even better at launch.

timberger

Gies continues to be one of the industry's most embarassing figures, I see.

Gurish

Which Sony game did people question last year?

SSR is completely useless on eyes, like it won't even work.
The eyes are suppose to reflect what's in front of them, but if you are looking at the eyes then whaatever's in front is offscreen and as such cannot get reflected at all.

Similarly SSR is completely useless on mirrors, which is why what you saw in UC4 on mirrors wasn't SSR but likely a planer reflection or just a dynamic cubemap that changes based on location.
It is actually kinda good for one small corner case:
eye_reflectionzhuqy.gif

But yeah, in general it is not very useful for eyes.

Which Sony game did people question last year?

GoW. There was someone in the threads about it that claimed to know some people at SSM and they said the demo was fake and was more or less a test. Since people liked it they were going to go in that direction. He also said there'd be no way it could launch early next year because of that.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Probably the best looking game I've ever seen personally. The lighting and materials are astounding.

The gameplay looks great too. Like a mix of Arkham's fighting with Uncharted's massive set pieces. Can't wait to play it!

Probably the best looking game I've ever seen personally. The lighting and materials are astounding.

The gameplay looks great too. Like a mix of Arkham's fighting with Uncharted's massive set pieces. Can't wait to play it!

That's a really great way of explaining how the gameplay looks :)

Honestly I thought it looked better than Anthem - though I might be in the minority there.

As I've said before though, I'm not a fan of Avatar or Destiny and the mashup of both those IP's just doesn't sell me whatsoever on any aspect of that game.

That said, I still think Spider-Man's graphics/animation are on a whole other level. Nothing I've seen until this game has even come close - especially considering it's an open world game.

In all fairness it’s running on a Pro

Trailer captured from base PS4 version.

Honestly I thought it looked better than Anthem - though I might be in the minority there.

As I've said before though, I'm not a fan of Avatar or Destiny and the mashup of both those IP's just doesn't sell me whatsoever on any aspect of that game.

That said, I still think Spider-Man's graphics/animation are on a whole other level. Nothing I've seen until this game has even come close - especially considering it's an open world game.

You're not alone, I also think it looks better than Anthem.

Gurish

GoW. There was someone in the threads about it that claimed to know some people at SSM and they said the demo was fake and was more or less a test. Since people liked it they were going to go in that direction. He also said there'd be no way it could launch early next year because of that.

Even in 2013 when PS4 was just revealed people questioned Killzone and Infamous visuals, and since than people still question some of Sony's exclusives every E3, that's a real testament to how far they are able to still push the hardware every year.

Trailer captured from base PS4 version.

You're not alone, I also think it looks better than Anthem.

I also find Spidey to be considerably more impressive than Anthem, I'm not a big tech guy so it's hard to point a specific reason, I guess the combination of incredible animations, lighting, textures etc are all helping to achieve this CGi look that give me this big WOW factor that Anthem, which still looks like a "game" (a very pretty one but still) isn't able to reach, you can actually confuse untrained people's eye to think that some moments there are taken from the film, there is no game that I can say it on, that's why Spiderman is probably the best looking game I've ever seen and the clear winner of E3's visuals award.

cackhyena

Gies continues to be one of the industry's most embarassing figures, I see.

I'm not getting the complaints on this one. In this same podcast, he mentioned Spiderman was the only game out of any conference he actually clapped for. He thought it was that good. He brings up what some devs thought and you blame him? I'm betting he doesn't want what they thought to be any more true than you or I do.He didn't say he thinks they are right, just what some said.

Dynomutt

Type of shit that makes me hope Sony/Playstation stays in the industry for years to come. Same salt was poured on the reveals on TLOU, UC4, Horizon, and now Spider-Man. All of those games turned out to put in work both visually and performance wise but nah let's detract from good dev work.

stryke

I'm not getting the complaints on this one. In this same podcast, he mentioned Spiderman was the only game out of any conference he actually clapped for. He thought it was that good. He brings up what some devs thought and you blame him? I'm betting he doesn't want what they thought to be any more true than you or I do.He didn't say he thinks they are right, just what some said.

Why would you want to bet on Arthur "Simcity can't be played off-line/TLOU will only do 300k" Gies?

NXGamer

I think in the realtime cutscene it looks to be a form of dynamic cubemap or even planar. SSR would have some minor benefits but not enough to work.

cooldawn

After watching the NXGamer analysis it does look really, really good. I'm actually stunned how a 3rd party has got parity with WWS. Amazing work from Insomniac.

NXGamers analysis is miles better than Digital Foundry's too. Good work fella.

I also find Spidey to be considerably more impressive than Anthem, I'm not a big tech guy so it's hard to point a specific reason, I guess the combination of incredible animations, lighting, textures etc are all helping to achieve this CGi look that give me this big WOW factor that Anthem, which still looks like a "game" (a very pretty one but still) isn't able to reach, you can actually confuse untrained people's eye to think that some moments there are taken from the film, there is no game that I can say it on, that's why Spiderman is probably the best looking game I've ever seen and the clear winner of E3's visuals award.

Your explanation for why you find Spider-Man more impressive is pretty much how I feel as well. I can't wait to play this visual treat come early (hopefully) next year.

Sure, last year's trailer. This years game play was confirmed running on Pro.

Do they look worlds apart? There's gameplay in that trailer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do they look worlds apart? There's gameplay in that trailer.

Last year's video was still a pre-recorded video, i'll always prefer a live demo that people have seen themselves/

Not saying the base version will be bad. If R&C is anything to go by, the base version will be fantastic at 1080p.

Top Bottom