• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did my tree company just screw me over?

I don't think so. The quote they gave me does not contain much details other than the price for cut and remove trees in 3 different areas on the property. They did beat the next best offer by around $3,000. So I guess that's why.

If it says that in the quote I think you're boned. They've quoted the work they were going to do including the removal of the trees, and you accepted that quote when you hired them. The deception is tasteless but probably not something you can hinge a legal case on.

What were you going to do, sell the wood on eBay for him?

The reality is, he has a business that provides a service you needed, you asking to be part of some deal is embarrassing. You have nothing to offer, you have trees you want removed, he has the tools to cut them down, the employees to move them, the equipment to strip them, the vehicles to transport them, and the contacts to sell them. And he was going to do that at 3,000 less than the nearest quote.

Maybe if you'd offered to help cut the trees down, he would have cut you in.

Rktk

OP that is one way of looking at it but you've never sold timber, it would have taken time and effort on your part and who's to say you, as someone who knows nothing about it, would have gotten a good price for it. The company saved you hassle even if they downplayed the value.

*Splinter

If it's a couple hundred bucks worth of wood, is it even worth the time to find someone to sell it to, maybe arrange transport, etc.

Maybe they lied, but maybe they just knew that it's not worth it to the average citizen, even though it's worth it to them (being a "tree company" they would already have contacts to sell to, means of storing and transporting the wood, it's a much smaller job when you already have the infrastructure in place).

Brokun

Hey GAF, I needed to get the sole on my shoes replaced, and I was wondering if I could sell the old one. When I talked to my cobbler he said nobody would buy it and I believed him. When I went to pick up my shoes I saw my old sole packed away neatly and when I asked his assistant he confirmed that they would be selling them. I don't like being lied to, and now I'm wondering did my cobbler screw me over?

Here's a picture of the shoe.

ZmeRPa.png

lunlunqq

Thanks again for the input guys. I'm not worrying about it that much now. Just want to move on to the next stage.

I chatted with the transportation crew a bit more yesterday. It turned out that they are hauling the logs all the way to Canada (we are in the greater Boston area)! So just as some of you mentioned, selling these logs is not an easy thing to do at all.

We owned a studio producing TV commercials for other companies. We've sold it before we moved to Massachusetts. I've been a full time professor here for over 10 years. So I guess my advice would be to get a Ph.D. first?

SilentRob

We owned a studio producing TV commercials for other companies. We've sold it before we moved to Massachusetts. I've been a full time professor here for over 10 years. So I guess my advice would be to get a Ph.D. first?

I see what you're saying, but getting a Ph.D seems like a lot of work. I really want the house but would much rather not have to get a Ph.D beforehand...surely we can figure something out?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey GAF, I needed to get the sole on my shoes replaced, and I was wondering if I could sell the old one. When I talked to my cobbler he said nobody would buy it and I believed him. When I went to pick up my shoes I saw my old sole packed away neatly and when I asked his assistant he confirmed that they would be selling them. I don't like being lied to, and now I'm wondering did my cobbler screw me over?

lol

My uncle is a car mechanic and has two similar homes. These things aren't that expensive in small towns. Many of you live in large cities or something?

OP, how much did it cost to cut down per tree? We have two tall trees I am thinking of having removed, but oak/maple instead of pine..

You just need to have these things specified up front before any work begins, and then discuss on-site to confirm.

We had our power company drop a 150+ year old maple on our property, which was nice to avoid the >$5k it would have cost us due to the need for road crews, etc. On the other hand the power company doesn't cut it up for you, so we had to hire a team to come over and cut it into discs (some over 5' in diameter). I then cut all the discs with my saw into chunks that I could feed into a splitter, and we've been burning it over the last few years. It's a lot of work, though, we still have one disc leftover, and then I need to rent an industrial grinder for the stump later this summer.

To relate to OP, the one annoying thing is that the team who cut that maple took off some nice bowls that I wouldn't' have minded keeping to have friends carve. In the future I'll be sure to clarify this explicitly with anyone we work with.

VeeP

Lumber companies dont have to sell your wood for you and give you the money, especially if it wasnt part of the agreement. The real question is whether or not OP gave the company permission to take the wood from him when they cut it down

it'd be warranted but at the same time it seems fairly petty considering they were the best offer OP had and every other contractor is almost guaranteed to try and sell the wood as well.

OP asked a question. The contractor gave him the impression that naw fam, that's not true. Then they proceeded to do exactly what OP asked they could do, without giving him a cut.

Sure, some of this is on OP. But the contractors weren't exactly honest. They could've said we plan on selling the wood and that's how we give the lowest price we think is possible, or something along those lines, but they didn't.

And I think that itself is worthy of mention in the review. Go ahead and write if they did a good job, but throw that nugget in there.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If you feel slighted just don't recommend them to anyone. I think that's about all you can do at this point

Can't see the shoe properly, too much shit in the frame.

Very, very good.

prag16

Banned
The lumber is probably worth more than what you paid them for the job.

The guy was definitely dishonest with you, but you probably have no recourse if there's nothing in the contract you signed.

Tree companies makes deals all the time; I've heard of cases where they'll do jobs almost free with expectation of selling off the lumber, depending on location and time of year.

They did beat the next best offer by around $3,000. So I guess that's why.

Bingo. Whether they wanted to admit to it or not this was likely already baked into the cake from their perspective.

lunlunqq

OP asked a question. The contractor gave him the impression that naw fam, that's not true. Then they proceeded to do exactly what OP asked they could do, without giving him a cut.

Sure, some of this is on OP. But the contractors weren't exactly honest. They could've said we plan on selling the wood and that's how we give the lowest price we think is possible, or something along those lines, but they didn't.

And I think that itself is worthy of mention in the review. Go ahead and write if they did a good job, but throw that nugget in there.

Thank you for putting it down nicely. That is exactly what my problem is with them. If the owner has been straight with me from start, I wouldn't have any problem with them selling the woods at all.

lunlunqq

OP, how much did it cost to cut down per tree? We have two tall trees I am thinking of having removed, but oak/maple instead of pine..

They didn't quote us on a per-tree bases. We named 3 large sections on the property where we want the trees to be removed and they gave us the quotes on how much for each area.
Based on the final total cost and number of trees they dropped, I'd say it's about $300~$400 per big tree. And there are countless small trees. I'd say this is more like a site clearing project than a simple tree removal project.

They didn't quote us on a per-tree bases. We named 3 large sections on the property where we want the trees to be removed and they gave us the quotes on how much for each area.
Based on the final total cost and number of trees they dropped, I'd say it's about $300~$400 per big tree. And there are countless small trees. I'd say this is more like a site clearing project than a simple tree removal project.

That's not too bad actually, maybe I'll give a couple places a call..

lunlunqq

Finally it's done!!! The whole project took almost 3 month! Not that anybody would care. Just want to celebrate the completion of this large landscaping project with a proper show-off picture.

bvY4WXd.jpg

Lubricus

Where do you get rocks in Florida? They truck them in?
I used to live in Florida and the only rocks I saw were on the beach. They brought them down from northern Georgia.

Why is the house set so far back on the property? You could have had a nice backyard with a swimming pool and tennis court. I'd also have a chipping and putting green if I had that much space.

lunlunqq

Damn man, that looks like a big ass McMansion. So much roof all over the place.
Haha, true that, mcmansion with a huge roof. But compared to the typical New England colonial houses, this one looks so much more interesting. We just replaced the roof, too. Quite expensive to do.

That is seriously a gorgeous lot.
Thanks!

Is that a mulch volcano?
I felt it's funny looking too. But the landscaping company did it that way, maybe because those were newly planted trees?

Where do you get rocks in Florida? They truck them in?
I used to live in Florida and the only rocks I saw were on the beach. They brought them down from northern Georgia.
We are in Massachusetts. We have those huge boulders everywhere.

Why is the house set so far back on the property? You could have had a nice backyard with a swimming pool and tennis court. I'd also have a chipping and putting green if I had that much space.
Local zoning law: residential lots must be 2+ acres. The house is set at around 2/3 back on the lot. We still have plenty of space in the back. Just occupied by too many pine trees that we don't want to deal with any more.

Zoe

I felt it's funny looking too. But the landscaping company did it that way, maybe because those were newly planted trees?

There shouldn't be a difference with it being new. There should only be a couple of inches of mulch, but the most important thing is to not bury the trunk.

vcOTcyL.jpg

sarcastor

Finally it's done!!! The whole project took almost 3 month! Not that anybody would care. Just want to celebrate the completion of this large landscaping project with a proper show-off picture.

if i had your house i would have a mini golf range in the front. or an airsoft field. or both.

202e11222aa8b482608f0deb0b74d46c.jpg

Kimawolf

yeah looks to be about.. 10k in wood OP if that is only half the pile. deduct transport and bult sale they'll make around 5k.
I have no idea what im talking about...

But honestly, I had trees removed from my land, not that many lol but quite a few, the guys told me up front they will take the trees and sell it to lumberyards who use it for everything.

lunlunqq

There shouldn't be a difference with it being new. There should only be a couple of inches of mulch, but the most important thing is to not bury the trunk.

vcOTcyL.jpg
Oh, it's different from both of the pictures you showed. There is a big drop in the center all the way down to roughly the ground level. I think it literally looks like a volcano with a big gaping mouth.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can't look at these homes anymore without immediately conjuring up some madness off the McMansionhell tumblr. It feels like the architect was drunk off his ass.

But besides that, i'm sure it's a lovely spacious home.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
wonderful looking house/lot. good work

Local zoning law: residential lots must be 2+ acres. The house is set at around 2/3 back on the lot. We still have plenty of space in the back. Just occupied by too many pine trees that we don't want to deal with any more.

huh. sounds excessive. they must really not want that much development/population density in your area.

You have plenty of money, let the little guy get one.

It was the best offer and you wanted to cheap it out.

Edit: i see Xibit's head floating over left section of your house in that picture.

Extra edit: this aint some dude with a chainsaw, fuck em.

That is still crazy. In Australia, the house is generally set at the front on the lot, I don't know who designed the layout of your place, but it seems strange.

That is still crazy. In Australia, the house is generally set at the front on the lot, I don't know who designed the layout of your place, but it seems strange.

Each city — or county if one lives in an unincorporated area — can have different laws regarding zoning. The results can vary greatly between different parts of the country.

Top Bottom