• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, July 11th

Gurish

I think the lack of MS exclusive games is the responsible for those Xbox sales. MS should drop the "let's release our games only in Q4" fast.

The problem is that they lack games (and identity in general) first and foremost, it's not like their Q4 releases are anything amazing or big enough as well.

Sony's exclusives line up is just crushing MS's by a huge margin, it doesn't even matter when each company releases their games in such case, the race isn't even close.

blakep267

I think the lack of MS exclusive games is the responsible for those Xbox sales. MS should drop the "let's release our games only in Q4" fast.
If say it's more lack of enticing bundles. Out of Ghost recon, For Honor, Mass effect and to a lesser extent Injustice 2, none of those games got a massive bundle push from either MS or Sony. I understand for Sony, but MS with the lack of first party software needed a better pack in. Halo wars 2 isn't gonna cut it as a pack in

The GAF average for Switch and XB1 are off by 1K, but PS4 is off 126K. Lmao what a month.

Everyone underestimated the gold PS4@$250 plus it's PS4 4th year .
Not that surprising since i think it's biggest June for PS4 unless i wrong .

Talking about software MS just don't have the software like Sony does nor do they have the big 3rd party IP to bundle like they do .
This year Sony has both 1st and 3rd party software and bundles all year around .
Next year looking to be the same with big IPs from Sony in the first 6 months .

Rymuth

That quote makes it seem like it's by choice. It's really not. They can't drop Halo/Gears in early on because they need them to push Hardware during the holidays. What you have left is usually one game (Halo Wars, Sea of Thieves) as a throwaway bone to fend off Sony for Q1-Q3.

Basically, there's not enough Software to go around.

sam12

MS exclusives are mostly half assed efforts barring SO and Ori. Any wonder as to why people are not buying it. Plus now they are not even concentrating on securing exclusives but rather focusing on more hardware

Matt

...wow...

Dont know whats more amazing, the big PS4 number or the low XBO number...

Gotta agree with others, and I mentioned it a few times. Wouldnt be surprised if MS made the One X next gen.

That would probably help get it more sales vs calling it a mid gen refresh with that price.
What an awful gen that would be.

mejin

MS exclusives are mostly half assed efforts barring SO and Ori. Any wonder as to why people are not buying it. Plus now they are not even concentrating on securing exclusives but rather focusing on more hardware

They are paying for several timed exclusives a.k.a "console launch exclusive".

Gurish

They are paying for several timed exclusives a.k.a "console launch exclusive".

Most of those are insignificant, most people aren't even aware they are console exclusive or whatever.

It's really simple, they lack games, when someone thinks about which console to purchase and he see the huge advantage Sony got with their line up, the choice becomes easy.

Mrbob

I really don't see what changes towards the end of the year.

PS4 is pushing a premium bundle with Destiny 2 for September. I think that's going to be a big month for the PS4.

GT sport releases and while that may not set the things ablaze here in the states in think WW it'll do well for itself. Not to mention COD and Battlefront 2 will be pushed heavily with PS4.

I think Sony really had the perfect storm. The exclusives both first and 3rd party being launched this year. Keep the console relevant.

Still wonder if there are holdouts thinking the ps4 won't go over 100 million worldwide. It's going to end up number two all time behind ps2 in terms of units sold.

Gurish

Still wonder if there are holdouts thinking the ps4 won't go over 100 million worldwide. It's going to end up number two behind ps2 in terms of units sold.

That's a pretty safe bet yeah, unless something unexpected happens, it will end up as Sony's second best selling console.

blakep267

Most of those are insignificant, most people aren't even aware they are console exclusive or whatever.

It's really simple, they lack games, when someone thinks about which console to purchase and he see the huge advantage Sony got with their line up, the choice becomes easy.
How can they be insignificant until we know how much they actually sell or are received. People called stuff like Nier and persona insignificant until they actually put up big numbers.

How can they be insignificant until we know how much they actually sell or are received. People called stuff like Nier and persona insignificant until they actually put up big numbers.

I don't think anyone called persona insignificant at least not P5.
Still even then there are not huge sellers .

The problem is that they lack games (and identity in general) first and foremost, it's not like their Q4 releases are anything amazing or big enough as well.

Sony's exclusives line up is just crushing MS's by a huge margin, it doesn't even matter when each company releases their games in such case, the race isn't even close.

I agree, Sony's exclusive line-up is not even comparable to MS's, it's in a completely different level. But MS should release some of their games in the first half of the year, I know it won't turn the tides whatsover, but it could help them at least.

If say it's more lack of enticing bundles. Out of Ghost recon, For Honor, Mass effect and to a lesser extent Injustice 2, none of those games got a massive bundle push from either MS or Sony. I understand for Sony, but MS with the lack of first party software needed a better pack in. Halo wars 2 isn't gonna cut it as a pack in

This too, and it's even worse when we include the fact that Sony got most marketing deals from third parties for the holidays.

That quote makes it seem like it's by choice. It's really not. They can't drop Halo/Gears in early on because they need them to push Hardware during the holidays. What you have left is usually one game (Halo Wars, Sea of Thieves) as a throwaway bone to fend off Sony for Q1-Q3.

Basically, there's not enough Software to go around.

That's why they should start to improve their first party output, I'm pretty sure they can but it seens that they don't care for whatever reason.

Rymuth

Persona was only called insignificant by console fanboys who did not realize it's potential. You only need to do some research to know the franchise was still growing. NieR, I'll grant you, was a surprise.

But those games tend to find success on PS4.

OTOH, the launch exclusives shown on MS conference were mostly indie games, which while great, tend to find the least amount of success/sales on the Xbox platform. Example, Shovel Knight split

Steam: 32%
Wii U: 17%
PS4: 10%
XB1: 5%

Toki767

Those YTD totals for 2017 if the leaked numbers are true are interesting.

PS4 with 1.78 million, Switch with 1.5 million, and Xbox One with less than 1 million sold in the first half of the year.

sam12

The console launch exclusives for Xbox also lack any sort of excitement that Sony usually brings with their genuine exclusives. Phil Spencer is just ignorant at this point

Boke1879

I really hope this year dispel that horrible false narrative that if you don't release your heavy hitters in the fall. People act like you're in a drought.

Sony have released both 1st and 3rd party games this year that outside of GT sport their letting their marketing deals do the heavy lifting.

Unknown?

The console launch exclusives for Xbox also lack any sort of excitement that Sony usually brings with their genuine exclusives. Phil Spencer is just ignorant at this point
The problem is, is the people in charge believe their PR department. "Best lineup in Xbox history" rofl

Boke1879

The problem is, is the people in charge believe their PR department. "Best lineup in Xbox history" rofl

Here's the thing. I do believe Phil is a genuine person. He's a businessman first though and he often speaks in PR. His PR speak is really damn good though. You WANT to believe him when he's talking.

I think people had enough though after the cancellation of Scalebound. You can't keep talking about first party support, then cancel that. And also not having much to show for it after all these years.

Yjynx

Oh that is a juicy leak.

PS4
Jan: 210,665
Feb: 398,407
Mar: 396,726
Apr: 206,247
May: 187,182
Jun: 381,196

XB1
Jan: 157,545
Feb: 215,418
Mar: 243,514
Apr: 109,950
May: 109,130
Jun: 153,389

Switch
Mar: 910,545
Apr: 280,897
May: 165,038
Jun: 215,582

Thanks go to jal356

Anyone willing to PM me on the source of the leak? Just kind of curious.

Here's the thing. I do believe Phil is a genuine person. He's a businessman first though and he often speaks in PR. His PR speak is really damn good though. You WANT to believe him when he's talking.

I think people had enough though after the cancellation of Scalebound. You can't keep talking about first party support, then cancel that. And also not having much to show for it after all these years.

I agree with this. I think Phil is a good dude as well, but you can only speak just straight up PR for so long before people start calling it out.

He's been in charge for a decent amount of time now and we've still seen no real significant improvement in their 1st party output at all

Still wonder if there are holdouts thinking the ps4 won't go over 100 million worldwide. It's going to end up number two all time behind ps2 in terms of units sold.

What's noteworthy is they're doing it with a weak Japan in terms of home console sales.

Boke1879

Are we really having the "Xbox is doomed" narrative again?

Has anyone said that?

But it's not hard to come to the conclusion that it's hard to see anything significant changing. One X will launch. It'll see a boost. But mostly with their hardcore base. Nothing sustainable imo.

What's noteworthy is they're doing it with a weak Japan in terms of home console sales.

Japan wasn't that important region for PS3 either and it sold nearly 90 million units globally. Not to mention X360 that sold jack shit in Japan and had pretty similar global sales to PS3.

The lack of games from MS is what's killing the Xbone. They are going to have to redouble their efforts in the games department because their 1st party lineup is just being obliterated by Sony's, it's not even funny anymore. Xbone shouldn't be selling as bad as it is right now going into its fourth year. Those that are expecting 1X to change the trajectory are in for a rude awakening this holiday. At $500 it's gonna get destroyed by the PS4 Slim and Switch. Even the X1S will cannibalize its sales.

As glorious as Forza 7 is running at 4K/60fps it's not gonna be a system seller. Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3 aren't system sellers either. Sony is gonna have deals with all the major 3rd party publishers (BF, COD, RDR2, etc.) in addition to their already strong stable of 1st party. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Are we really having the "Xbox is doomed" narrative again?

Not doomed. But surprising it's selling less in its fourth year than OG Xbox's fourth year. So unless the X model lights the world on fire, it seems as the xb1 is close to running out of steam. Unless something big happens.

Welfare

One X is going to need to launch huge and keep a good momentum along with a $199 One S going into 2018. That's really the only way Xbox can perform better over this year.

Also just noticed that June sold less than January despite the $249 deal, and the only conclusion I can think for that is that people are waiting for the One X, but so many people will hold off until November? The November NPD will be something to see for sure.

One X is going to need to launch huge and keep a good momentum along with a $199 One S going into 2018. That's really the only way Xbox can perform better over this year.

Also just noticed that June sold less than January despite the $249 deal, and the only conclusion I can think for that is that people are waiting for the One X, but so many people will hold off until November? The November NPD will be something to see for sure.

IMO if we don't see a big jump in Nov and Dec for XB ( not matter which version ) i don't know what MS going to do .
This gen still has at least 2 more years and they can't bring another system so soon .
This is MS strongest market WW must be crazy bad for them right now.

jaybe00

Neo Member
Anyone think Switch is hurting Xbox one sales a fair amount? People only have so much money for entertainment. I think Xbox one will be 3rd place (in units anyway) during Nov - Dec this year. Xbox doesn't have enough differentiation from PS4 for those that have yet to buy. Got to think the forza/gears/halo peeps have already bought in and they are relying on upgraders now.

Roughly speaking, how big we talking? What range would it have to be in to be on par with or surpass last year?

Humdinger

Is it fair to assume the leak is reliable at this point, given that no insiders have contradicted it yet? Or do we need to give it more time?

Jotaka

Anyone think Switch is hurting Xbox one sales a fair amount? People only have so much money for entertainment. I think Xbox one will be 3rd place (in units anyway) during Nov - Dec this year. Xbox doesn't have enough differentiation from PS4 for those that have yet to buy. Got to think the forza/gears/halo peeps have already bought in and they are relying on upgraders now.

Of course it is hurting a lot. MS is fighting at this point to be in 2nd place. 1st place is pipe dream.

Welfare

Is it fair to assume the leak is reliable at this point, given that no insiders have contradicted it yet? Or do we need to give it more time?
Given that the data is not rounded and very easily disprovable if fake lends credence to them being real.

If I believed the numbers were fake I wouldn't be talking about them.

I've said for awhile now that if Switch is successful, it will have no affect on Sony, but will hurt MS.

Well, Switch is successful...

I really hope this year dispel that horrible false narrative that if you don't release your heavy hitters in the fall. People act like you're in a drought.

Sony have released both 1st and 3rd party games this year that outside of GT sport their letting their marketing deals do the heavy lifting.

It is a smart strategy. Why launch games during the release window of year end franchises? Let COD, Assassins' Creed, FIFA and Star Wars do the lifting, and drop your exclusives between January and September, at the latest. I remember the approach being criticized, initially...Not anymore...

I've said for awhile now that if Switch is successful, it will have no affect on Sony, but will hurt MS.

Well, Switch is successful...

And you were right. I wonder what the implications of this tendency will be on the next generation of machines. Contrary to some peoples' believes, brand power is still a thing. That is, unless the favorite squanders their opportunity and shoot themselves in both feet...*hint hint PS3*...

Are these numbers really that big a deal to MS? They've made it clear that they really couldn't give two shits about hardware numbers anymore. That's no longer their strategy or focus.

I mean sure the console hardware numbers are not anything to be proud of compared to the PS4, but they're getting a head start on conquering the PC or play anywhere type of market, while Sony is still stuck on the console market.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Are these numbers really that big a deal to MS? They've made it clear that they really couldn't give two shits about hardware numbers anymore. That's no longer their strategy or focus.

I mean sure the console hardware numbers are not anything to be proud of compared to the PS4, but they're getting a head start on conquering the PC or play anywhere type of market, while Sony is still stuck on the console market.

As stated earlier in this thread, they need new console owners to grow. If they don’t sell hardware, then software sales only grow so much.

Microsoft PR is always going to say they don’t care about hardware sales, because they are getting beat, even in their prime country.

You really think that that many people are awaiting the release of a console refresh that is going to cost an arm and a leg -Poor Europe-? Do you really entertain the idea that the immense majority of buyers, who are price sensitive, almost by definition, are going to flock towards the Xbox One X when the vanilla Xbox One and especially the PS4 will be selling for less than half the price?

I think that you will be in for a rude awakening...

They are never going to conquer the PC market .
From what we know there sales don't seem that big of a deal there .
Also Sony has streaming so there not stuck on the console market at all .

Do people think MS don't care about hardware sales when they are bringing out a new console .

Top Bottom