• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

I always thought S3&K had so many of its own things going on and Sega never really continued those things like the super emerald concept since we've never seen them again to this day despite having the same design.

Old post but here are my notes from the SDCC panel just a few hours ago. They talked about the Super Emeralds.

Sonic Mania Panel

1 - 1 year anniversary of Mania Announcement trailer today.
2 - First meeting in 2016. Sonic Discovery was the original title.
3 - Iizuka writes Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, S&K on a board and then Sonic Mania.
4 - "By the Mania for the Mania" is something Iizuka kept saying.
5 - 2nd story revision. What has Eggman been up to after 3&K? He falls into depression, no will to fight Sonic, goes back to base in pajamas. What happened to all the Badniks after he left? Then 3 words, Hard Boiled Heavies.
4 - Length longer than 1, 2, 3 and K. Comparable to 3&K, and with more game modes. They think we will be happy with the length.
5 - Keep records of favorite bugs. (I forgot why I typed this, I know they kept records of their favorite bugs and showed us a few, hilarious, not sure if we can)
6 - Special stage - Sonic 1 back ground, looks like CD with 3&K spheres. Get blue spheres, go faster, catch UFO. Get emerald.
7 - Rings increase timer to catch UFO.
8 - true to how Saturn would render 3D.
9 - Dimension heist music. I like it! Going to grow on people. YouTube soon.
10 - Has Sprite cut scenes between stages 3&K style.
11 - Animated short, full animation for the opening of the game. Like CD. aug 14th release.
12 - I got this amazing classic style game manual! Some goons walked out early and missed it! That'll learn em! This thing is nice!
13 - Only this weekend can you preorder the special addition clear vinal of the sound track.
14 - No Super Emeralds. Iizuka felt like they would have to keep 1 upping themselves after that so they decided to go back to Super and just cap it there.

They look to take after the Saturn 3D Blast stages too, aesthetically. Those were always my favorite, meatier versions of the Sonic 2 half-pipe. The ones in Sonic 4 Episode 2 don't compare imo.

I like the fact that your time limit is dependent on the number of rings you collect in the stages, similar to Knuckles Chaotix. The special stages were the meat of that game.

Pizza

Old post but here are my notes from the SDCC panel just a few hours ago. They talked about the Super Emeralds.

Sonic Mania Panel

3 - Iizuka writes Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, S&K on a board and then Sonic Mania.
5 - 2nd story revision. What has Eggman been up to after 3&K? He falls into depression, no will to fight Sonic, goes back to base in pajamas. What happened to all the Badniks after he left? Then 3 words, Hard Boiled Heavies.
4 - Length longer than 1, 2, 3 and K. Comparable to 3&K, and with more game modes. They think we will be happy with the length.
5 - Keep records of favorite bugs. (I forgot why I typed this, I know they kept records of their favorite bugs and showed us a few, hilarious, not sure if we can)
6 - Special stage - Sonic 1 back ground, looks like CD with 3&K spheres. Get blue spheres, go faster, catch UFO. Get emerald.
11 - Animated short, full animation for the opening of the game. Like CD. aug 14th release.
12 - I got this amazing classic style game manual! Some goons walked out early and missed it! That'll learn em! This thing is nice!
13 - Only this weekend can you preorder the special addition clear vinal of the sound track.
14 - No Super Emeralds. Iizuka felt like they would have to keep 1 upping themselves after that so they decided to go back to Super and just cap it there.

Somehow my excitement for this game just keeps growing. All of this is literally what I've wanted since I was a kid.

S3&K is usually a 3-hour run so that's pretty meaty for a downloadable title. Especially considering that's about what Unleashed probably runs when you remove the padding.

J@hranimo

Banned

Sonic Mania Panel

This is incredible. 12 zones I'm expecting now, and we know 7 (6 officially) so we have 5 left.

Hype through the roof. Thanks for re-quoting!

NZerker12

Sonic Mania Panel

This sounds amazing can't wait for this. Still trying to decide whether to get it on PS4 or Switch.

Who am I kidding I'll get it on both and probably PC too.

gelf

Sonic CD inspired special stages worries me a little. It was my least favorite style(before Dimps at least), I would struggle with depth perception and miss time jumps all the time.

I cannot describe how much I am looking forward to Mania. Each reveal makes me even more confident in this accomplishment.

Would be amazing to see Mania being successful in Nippon, too.

Piers

No Super Emeralds but they go back to Super Emeralds?
Would prefer it if they have made the model current-gen or sprite. 96'-2000 3D graphics aged like ass.

So I saw this image from the manual on Sonic Stadium, notice the artwork in the bottom right corner is from a zone we've not seen yet? Looks like some kind of ruined castle in Japan with the cherry blossoms and lantern in the background.

SEcUqIK.jpg

RagnarokX

Sonic Mania Panel

Besides, the chaos emeralds became the super emeralds in Sonic 3 and they've been that way ever since.

CommonNeglectedBackswimmer-size_restricted.gif

Raitaro

Really happy about all those new details! The number of zones / game length and Sonic CD style animation sound especially great.

Sonic CD inspired special stages? Excellent news.

To me this is the best outcome as well. Never really like Sonic 2 and 3's special stages all that much.

Sonic Mania so far has proven to me that it's ok to dream.

Dreams do come true. I cannot wait for this game T__T

Indeed. Quite fitting for a game within a series that started with music from the main guy behind Dreams Come True ;-)

So I saw this image from the manual on Sonic Stadium, notice the artwork in the bottom right corner is from a zone we've not seen yet? Looks like some kind of ruined castle in Japan with the cherry blossoms and lantern in the background.

SEcUqIK.jpg

This is so incredibly cool! Why put so much work and art into a manual prety much nobody will ever see in physical form though? Surely they are planning a physical release later down the line going by this? Maybe for Switch?

(Now the only thing else I would like is to have all Taxman Sonic versions - including one for S3&K - on modern platforms to go along with Mania, preferably with a physical release as well.)

MrBadger

Besides, the chaos emeralds became the super emeralds in Sonic 3 and they've been that way ever since.

Nah, you've just been looking at them wrong

The special stages sound a lot like the ones found in Sonic Heroes (and Generations 3DS), which also consist of you collecting spheres to go faster and catch the chaos emerald. I didn't like them there, but the blue sphere stages are the only special stages I really like that much. Even if these don't sound appealing to me, I'm happy that they're trying to evolve existing concepts instead of just reusing the Sonic 2 half pipe and calling it a day. And that little 3D Sonic Worlds-looking Sonic model is great.

Sonic Mania Panel

All sounds very promising. for 10, does that mean cutscenes like when knuckles would show up, or were they just talking about the transitions where they showed why you are suddenly in another zone?

When you say "go back to super", do you mean emeralds or sonic? Does collecting 7 emeralds in this game give you super sonic or hyper sonic? I assume super and hyper sonic is gone?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Probably this one

sonicmaniastage.png

where is that from?

I'm still pretty sure this is Stardust Speedway Act 2. The tubes and such look like Stardust Speedway, it was the next zone revealed after this stage was shown, and Stardust Speedway's Past stage which they selected has cathedrals in the background.

Like, two things that give it away to me. First is the pipes and cathedral-like setting of course, but also one of the big themes of Stardust Speedway Act 1 in Mania is these budding plant things:

Then notice in that above screen there's a big evident theme of blooming flowers?

Neifirst

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but is there ever going to be a physical copy of Sonic Mania made available for Switch (meaning on a cartridge in a regular style box)?

I understand there's a collector's edition releasing next month, but those extras don't really interest me and you end up with a digital code anyway.

EDIT: Someone asked the exact same question while I was typing - sorry!

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but is there ever going to be a physical copy of Sonic Mania made available for Switch (meaning on a cartridge in a regular style box)?

I understand there's a collector's edition releasing next month, but those extras don't really interest me and you end up with a digital code anyway.

Zilch announced and we're three weeks away.

NoKisum

So the special stages will be like CD? That is... actually, kinda terrifying news. I was never good at the special stages in CD, with its terrible depth perception, awkward controls, and super strict counter. It's part of why I've never actually beaten CD.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm still pretty sure this is Stardust Speedway Act 2. The tubes and such look like Stardust Speedway, it was the next zone revealed after this stage was shown, and Stardust Speedway's Past stage which they selected has cathedrals in the background.

Like, two things that give it away to me. First is the pipes and cathedral-like setting of course, but also one of the big themes of Stardust Speedway Act 1 in Mania is these budding plant things:

Then notice in that above screen there's a big evident theme of blooming flowers?

That's an interesting thought. A new look for Stardust Speedway Good Future. I'd be ok with that.

MrBadger

So the special stages will be like CD? That is... actually, kinda terrifying news. I was never good at the special stages in CD, with its terrible depth perception, awkward controls, and super strict counter. It's part of why I've never actually beaten CD.

I don't think depth perception will be an issue. Taxman's Sonic CD and 2 remakes do a good job at improving those aspects, and from the screenshots it looks like Sonic and the UFO will be 3D models.

I thought that too. It's a far cry from act 1, but the green buildings, the architecture and plant-life theme made me think act 2 will take place in one of the buildings in act 1's bg

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Just waiting
5t9XSQf.jpg

Didn't see physical for Switch, so I bought it for PC. Gonna buy digital for Switch later as well. No regrets.

RomanceDawn

Story wise I understand that very well, at least in my own head cannon. When it was discussed they talked about the process of charging them again and then getting Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles etc. Ever since making Sonic 3, Iizuka wanted to go back just to the name Super, making sure fans arent always looking for the next big power up and they specifically mentioned how Dragon Ball just gets out of hand with that. And not just the term Super but no more gameplay mechanics involving getting them twice over/enhancing them.

What that means for Super Tails is anyone's guess. :(

The design of the Emeralds is a non-issue. The bottom line is there will be no Hyper Sonic and the reasons stated above are why we have not had any mention of Hyper Sonic since its debute in 3&K.

All sounds very promising. for 10, does that mean cutscenes like when knuckles would show up, or were they just talking about the transitions where they showed why you are suddenly in another zone?

When you say "go back to super", do you mean emeralds or sonic? Does collecting 7 emeralds in this game give you super sonic or hyper sonic? I assume super and hyper sonic is gone?

In context it sounded like both examples you asked about will be in the game. Cut scenes where your character transitions from one zone to the next is absolutely confirmed and I'm pretty certain we'll see little scenes like the way Knuckles would show up as well.

The specifically mentioned that this will control better than CD's special stages and there will always only be one UFO to hunt down.

MrBadger

I thought the Mania explanation was more fun

Story wise I understand that very well, at least in my own head cannon. When it was discussed they talked about the process of charging them again and then getting Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles etc. Ever since making Sonic 3, Iizuka wanted to go back just to the name Super, making sure fans arent always looking for the next big power up and they specifically mentioned how Dragon Ball just gets out of hand with that. And not just the term Super but no more gameplay mechanics involving getting them twice over/enhancing them.

I don't think there's any reason why they can't just make the chaos emeralds work for Super Tails and Hyper Knuckles

Iizuka's explanation for Hyper Sonic is fair enough, it is annoying when a series is constantly trying to one-up the last epic super form each time. And Hyper Sonic was only really a thing to reward players for getting the emeralds in both S3 and S&K

Mr Swine

Banned

The design of the Emeralds is a non-issue. The bottom line is there will be no Hyper Sonic and the reasons stated above are why we have not had any mention of Hyper Sonic since its debute in 3&K.

In context it sounded like both examples you asked about will be in the game. Cut scenes where your character transitions from one zone to the next is absolutely confirmed and I'm pretty certain we'll see little scenes like the way Knuckles would show up as well.

The specifically mentioned that this will control better than CD's special stages and there will always only be one UFO to hunt down.

You guys are forgetting that Sega retconned the whole Hidden Palace and not just the Super Emeralds after Sonic3&K (and now Mania I guess). Now Hidden Palace is outside and not inside the Angel Island mountain

It's never really been all that clear, but I've always assumed that the Chaos Emeralds only become Super Emeralds when all 7 are in proximity to the Master Emerald. See: Sonic Adventure when you go to the past and visit the Emerald Altar. You can climb the pillars surrounding the ME and see that the regular Emeralds are larger than Knuckles himself, suggesting that they're Super powered.

It's never really been all that clear, but I've always assumed that the Chaos Emeralds only become Super Emeralds when all 7 are in proximity to the Master Emerald. See: Sonic Adventure when you go to the past and visit the Emerald Altar. You can climb the pillars surrounding the ME and see that the regular Emeralds are larger than Knuckles himself, suggesting that they're Super powered.

I think those are just poorly scaled assets. The super emeralds were never anything more than a bonus for buying both games.

Village

I think its just a weird thing Sega changed their mind on, and that's it. It wouldn't be the first time.

Though on that note, there are quite a few things just left around, that surprise me way more that they left around considering their statement on why the super emeralds are gone.

But sonic team is weird and is weirdly particular about sonic so... I'm used to it i guess

gelf

I don't think depth perception will be an issue. Taxman's Sonic CD and 2 remakes do a good job at improving those aspects, and from the screenshots it looks like Sonic and the UFO will be 3D models.
I had depth perception issues in the Taxman version of CD as well as the original, it better be greatly improved or I'm going to struggle. 3D models should certainly help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom