• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

BY2K

Membero Americo
Pretty dumb tho to lock that mode behind an ultra rare amiibo. I got it pre ordered but still.

(unlocked after beating game)

It's in the same fucking line.

EDIT: Wait, hold on, I hope it's not saying you unlock it after beating the game IF you use the amiibo but you can ALSO unlock it by beating the game once...

If they tie a difficulty mode to needing an Amiibo I'll be incredibly sour. Micro-transactions at it's worst.

EDIT: Wait, hold on, I hope it's not saying you unlock it after beating the game IF you use the amiibo but you can ALSO unlock it by beating the game once...

That's how I read it. Why else would they break up the endgame unlockables by figure?

I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall that being hinted at on the treehouse livestream at e3.

I wonder if the opening of Super Metroid could be the epilogue of SR. Could be neat to play a remade Ridley fight and escape sequence.

13ruce

Banned

Yeah that's why i kinda did not see the clear meaning of it it's kinda worded in a non clear way and as english is not my primary language i could not make out clearly what it means.

wwm0nkey

idk it could be this

Samus Aran (Metroid Series)
-Elon Reserve Tank (special ability recovery)
-Metroid II Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)

Metroid (Metroid Series)
-Metroid Marker (tells you location of nearest Metroid)
-FUSION Difficulty Mode (unlocked after beating game)

Samus Aran (Super Smash Bros. Series)
-Missile Reserve Tank (missile recovery)
-Concept Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)

Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series)
-Energy Reserve Tank (energy recovery)
-Sound Test (unlocked after beating game)

In which case you get the first thing by having the amiibo and the 2nd item after beating the game

Shiggy

It looks like you can unlock it by beating the game, the Amiibo is just a faster unlock method

Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Seems like it's the latter:
screenshot2017-07-24aglstg.png

Chauzu

To translate that picture:

If you touch the Metroid amiibo:

- During gameplay, you can use the Metroid Marker, alerting you of the location of the closest Metroid.
- After beating the game, you can choose the new game mode "FUSION" when starting a new game, which includes the fusion suit and a higher difficulty.

I don't see any room for doubt: they are locking a whole difficulty mode with the Fusion suit beyond an amiibo. I'm quite disgusted tbh.

I wonder why they're even forcing you to beat the game anyway instead of just unlocking the mode using the amiibo from the get go. They're already making you buy the amiibo so keeping it locked anyway will make the already negative reputation worse.

Oberon

Banned
Oh wow, that sounds like a pile of trash. That seems like the wolf in BotW all over again. Something that was clearly in the game, but they just force you to spent 20 bucks ( that's how much the amiibos cost here) just to get a feature that should be in the same in the first place.

Locking content behind amiibo would break the convention Nintendo's established with games like Kirby Planet Robobot and Star Fox Zero where you could unlock the amiibo content after completing the game.

I'll believe it when I see it in regards to locked content. Wouldn't be the first time NeoGaf has gone full 'jump-to-conclusions' only to be wrong.

Neiteio

I wonder why they're even forcing you to beat the game anyway instead of just unlocking the mode using the amiibo from the get go. They're already making you buy the amiibo so keeping it locked anyway will make the already negative reputation worse.
If beating the game first is a requirement, that doesn't seem to bode well for these things being unlockable normally. Unless there's a non-amiibo method that's gated behind additional requirements, i.e. beat game in under a certain amount of time.

To translate that picture:

If you touch the Metroid amiibo:

- During gameplay, you can use the Metroid Marker, alerting you of the location of the closest Metroid.
- After beating the game, you can choose the new game mode "FUSION" when starting a new game, which includes the fusion suit and a higher difficulty.

I don't see any room for doubt: they are locking a whole difficulty mode with the Fusion suit beyond an amiibo. I'm quite disgusted tbh.

I got an original 3DS so if I want a difficulty mode I need a £12-15 amiibo and a £20 NFC reader.

Disgusting. Also never gonna happen.

Might scalp my EU LE and buy a used copy of the base game to feel better about it.

EternalWolf

Neo Member
These have to be early unlocks. There is no reason to have an extra missle tank, energy tank and special ability tank and it would "break" the user interface/hud and possibly the special abilities pending how they work in game. Plus there is just no reason to have extra tanks when there will already be so many. Like is there really a difference between having 500 misses compared to 505?

EternalWolf

Neo Member
How do you know this?

BOTW had the harder difficulty in payable DLC.

Yeah but anybody can but that DLC any time they want. These amiibos are already sold out and the game isn't even out nor has the content it unlocks been announced anywhere but Japan.

Shiggy

Yeah but anybody can but that DLC any time they want. These amiibos are already sold out and the game isn't even out nor has the content it unlocks been announced anywhere but Japan.

It wouldn't be the first game to have sizeable content locked behind amiibos.

Synless

I always felt the fusion suit was the biggest redesign mistake Nintendo ever made for one of its main characters. It's fucking ugly.

EternalWolf

Neo Member
I like how everyone is talking about Fusion being locked rather than what the mode actually is. SR388 is the home world of the X Parasites after all and it is called Fusion Mode, not Hard Mode. Wonder if it's a "what if" mode where the X Parasites break out and instead of hunting Metroids we basically get Metroid Fusion on SR388, with X Parasites mimicking everything in a more traditional Metroid Map.

Or even a "sequel" where Samus Returns to SR388 after Fusion.

TheMoon

I got an original 3DS so if I want a difficulty mode I need a £12-15 amiibo and a £20 NFC reader.

Disgusting. Also never gonna happen.

Might scalp my EU LE and buy a used copy of the base game to feel better about it.

If you'd read the rest of the thread too, you'd see that you're jumping the gun there a bit as it's not clear yet if this is the only way to unlock this content.

Also nice one on the bolded. Great move.

WonderzL

Banned
I like how everyone is talking about Fusion being locked rather than what the mode actually is. SR388 is the home world of the X Parasites after all and it is called Fusion Mode, not Hard Mode. Wonder if it's a "what if" mode where the X Parasites break out and instead of hunting Metroids we basically get Metroid Fusion on SR388, with X Parasites mimicking everything in a more traditional Metroid Map.

I think it's just a new model xD

Floex

Fair point. I was replying more about the poster saying it won't be behind a paywall.

EternalWolf

Neo Member
I think it's just a new model xD

But why would they call it Fusion Mode? I highly doubt you can only play Hard Mode with the Fusion Suit, that would make no sense. But if Fusion Mode is a harder difficulty that requires the Fusion Suit then it is likely that there is something actually new about the mode.

Also, Fusion is the easiest Metroid game, not something you would name a Hard Mode after.

RagnarokX

She didn't ditch it, but since she's able to take it off now, I guess some people think she's got a Power Suit in reserve or something? I dunno.

Well the power suit is made of magic, so I would think that if she had time to concentrate enough she could restore it back to factory condition. I think the Chozo are supposed to still be alive, too. So they can help out. That's probably where she's gotten her ship and suit redesigns over the years.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
If you'd read the rest of the thread too, you'd see that you're jumping the gun there a bit as it's not clear yet if this is the only way to unlock this content.

What? No, they're not jumping the gun as far as what the text actually says. Sure the text doesn't say that you can't unlock it by just playing the game, but it sure as heck doesn't imply that you can.

The text says "using [X] amiibo after beating the game unlocks [y]". That's it. At best it's unclear messaging, which isn't great and at worst it's locking interesting psot-game modes behind amiibo, which I don't really care for either.

But assuming the text means what it says is not jumping the gun.

TheMoon

What? No, they're not jumping the gun as far as what the text actually says. Sure the text doesn't say that you can't unlock it by just playing the game, but it sure as heck doesn't imply that you can.

The text says "using [X] amiibo after beating the game unlocks [y]". That's it. At best it's unclear messaging, which isn't great and at worst it's locking interesting psot-game modes behind amiibo, which I don't really care for either.

But assuming the text means what it says is not jumping the gun.

It's jumping the gun because there's precedent of the amiibo unlock being only an alternative to an in-game requirement, as has been pointed out already. Hence the need for clarification.

Toxi

Banned
Well the power suit is made of magic, so I would think that if she had time to concentrate enough she could restore it back to factory condition. I think the Chozo are supposed to still be alive, too. So they can help out. That's probably where she's gotten her ship and suit redesigns over the years.
The ship in Fusion was provided by the Federation and the ship in Prime 3 was built at a Federation shipyard and designed by Samus. So it seems like it's the Federation and Samus doing the ship redesigns.But one of Zero Mission's endings shows Samus meeting with what looks like a Chozo, so I could see her getting some help from them.

Also, the idea of Samus being able to concentrate the Power Suit back doesn't make sense to me. If Samus could just concentrate to get anything, why does she need to pick up suit upgrades? Why does she need to download missiles or absorb the Varia Suit in Fusion when she can just concentrate them? How does Samus get stranded without her equipment in Zero Mission, and stripped of most of it in Prime 1 and 2?

Toxi

Banned
Love the Fusion suit. The Light suit from Echoes on the other hand... yuck.
Can't take you seriously ever again after this comment, sorry.

But no really, I fucking love the Light Suit. Sleek and sexy with a great color scheme, and the power it provides feels like a breath of fresh air in the oppressive Prime 2. Plus, it doesn't make Samus look like she's covered in taffy.

Metroxed

Impossible. Fusion spoiler:
SR388 is destroyed at the end of Metroid Fusion

Toxi

Banned
Impossible. Fusion spoiler:
SR388 is destroyed at the end of Metroid Fusion
They've retconned other details of Fusion.

Following the commands of this blunt, computerized CO is something I have to bear, as it was a condition of my taking the ship. For someone who dislikes taking orders, this is the second time I've found myself having to do so. It makes me recall my other CO...

But I doubt that they'll retcon
SR388 getting nuked by Samus.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The UK site sadly doesn't clarify if you need the amiibos to unlock the extra stuff, it just says:

You can tap this amiibo to find out if there's a Metroid nearby. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock Fusion mode.
and
You can unlock an item to help you on your mission. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock new content for the Gallery.
for the other amiibos.

Which can mean both.
But it also only mentions "new content" for the Gallery and not the complete Art Gallery or Sound Test modes.

You can tap this amiibo to find out if there's a Metroid nearby. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock Fusion mode.

^^This sounds like the mode isn't unlocked by beating the game, and only through amiibo.

Top Bottom