• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Nintendo Switch cartridge dumps (ROMs) released

calavera_jo

Neo Member
Anti-piracy advocates need to chill.

Every device ever eventually gets pirated. It don't matter much. Most people buy consoles for simplicity. There's no way they're going to find all that process simple.

And at the end of the day, pirates do the best jobs at archiving games. And keeping them playable.

GPD Win even has an actual D-pad unlike the Switch to play your ROMs on.

I'm pretty fine with the switcw d-pad. Have played the shit out of cave story no problem. Maybe if I tried some fighting games I'd care. But, had I not read it on the internet, it probably would have never even clicked with me that the d-pad isn't the normal plus sign.

ty_hot

That is great. Nintendo cant even let people copy their save games, so ofc people will always find a workaround. Which includes hacking everything in the system.

I guess because of their shit online stuff people dont care much about buying games instead of pirating on Nintendo platforms. Well, at least this is how I feel... I would never pirate a PS4 game, but a 3ds or Switch one... First console I felt like that was the 360 (first ever great online console) and the PS3 afterwards. For the Wii I just didnt care either. It doesnt seem like a big problem. But I will go original only on the Switch (when I get one, if Nintendo let me find one in store). Btw, Nintendo doesnt seem to give a fuck either if you are pirating stuff ont heir platforms (with the switch it seems that the protection relies entirely on the nVidia technology). And honestly, people that pirate wouldnt buy a game in the first place if they had to pay for it.

Anyway, its a good option for poor countries still, games are still super expensive in those places and well, that's a solution that keeps people playing till they have money to buy everything original in the long term. If it wasn't for piracy when I was young I probably wouldnt be a gamer...

Shengar

now that's just silly. I don't give a crap if "my favourite megacorp" get's pirated. I, however, give a crap if this effects my enjoyment of the product I bought, for example if online play becomes unusable thanks to cheating, or if the amount of localized titles dries up like it happened towards the end of the DS' life in Europe.
Let's not forget about PSP, and how emulation also have put SNK into financial troubles that makes them ended up bought by a predatory company. Every emulation community should've make a clausal where they only allowed to release an emulation of a system that at least 4 years of age.
The hell are you talking about? I am just providing info from the scene.
Didn't you realize that the question is a joke?
/thread

Especially since the lack of Virtual Console and the future bad pricing won't help.
Honestly I'm curious, how many old games do you guys have to play at this point? It was the Vita before, then Smartphome, then Ouya, then whatever portable gaming platform dubbed as the ULTIMATE EMULATION MACHINE. It looks never ends to me.

This looks very selfish reason to me. I don't care about Nintendo as a corporation, what I care is its software environment healthiness. Look at PSP pira- oh I mean emulation had done to the system software health.
Anyway, its a good option for poor countries still, games are still super expensive in those places and well, that's a solution that keeps people playing till they have money to buy everything original in the long term. If it wasn't for piracy when I was young I probably wouldnt be a gamer...

I grow up in the same environment as you in the context of rampant gaming piracy, but I NEVER for once justify. It's plain stealing and with how Steam set up fair regional pricing (in Asia at least) there should be no more reasons to 'piracy, because there are poor countries out there'. Remind you that my country per capita is only about $2800-$3000 at most, and straight up charging $60 after conversion is stupid. But piracy grows toxic mentality that prevents local gaming industry from thriving because these naive, clueless folks thought that game were 'cheaps' and 'easy' to make.

GPD Win even has an actual D-pad unlike the Switch to play your ROMs on.

pssst, GPD doesn't exist.

Vena

Is this true? If so, isn't it a more serious problem than just rom dumping?

The number of people with this capability is likely less than the number of fingers on your hands and they have no interest in cheating at Splatoon 2, and that assumes the servers don't have checks. Splatoon 1 did, and it works pretty much like VAC and they do ban waves.

I do wonder if it's even technically possible to work enough magic to do anything to Shield TVs to run Switch software since the hardware is identical. Or maybe it doesn't work like that at all.

Vena

I do wonder if it's even technically possible to work enough magic to do anything to Shield TVs to run Switch software since the hardware is identical. Or maybe it doesn't work like that at all.

It doesn't work like that at all, and the hardware isn't identical.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The sooner Switch is fully hacked the better.

It would make an awesome home-brew machine.

Haano

I was merely pointing out the blatant hypocrisy that comes with the subject. Every time homebrew becomes possible on system, honest homebrew users justify its necessity with some sort of hurdle they need to overcome - and yes, they DO try to justify it, otherwise there was no reason to mention the reason for why they need homebrew at all.

In the past, the argument went like "we need homebrew because software not tied to account" or "we need homebrew because not region-free" (the one I agree with), or "we need homebrew so I can dump my game to play it digitally because I can't buy digitally since no account system" and so on. There has always been a reason, some pretence people cling to to make it easier for them to support the use of some modification that ALWAYS comes with a lot of drawbacks for everyone - not only piracy (with its far reaching consequences) but also, as mentioned in this thread, cheating.

now that's just silly. I don't give a crap if "my favourite megacorp" get's pirated. I, however, give a crap if this effects my enjoyment of the product I bought, for example if online play becomes unusable thanks to cheating, or if the amount of localized titles dries up like it happened towards the end of the DS' life in Europe.

+1

CTLance

Impressive speed. Bet they got in via the image sharing feature. Also quite surprised that they have ripped it open that badly already. Would have expected at least some more weeks of userland fuckery until they breached into the holy kernel land. Guess basing the OS of an already known one didn't only ease development for Nintendo...

Couldn't hit a better system, though. For eating up 750MB RAM and one entire core, the OS of the switch is still terribly barebones. Some of that might be by design, but there really are some missing features that I wouldn't mind seeing added by a homebrew channel, Wii style.

...I'd laugh if they somehow manage to get the voice chat (/splatnet etc) app to run on the switch. I think it's mostly a HTML5 app on phones, right? That should do wonders for portability.

Vena

Impressive speed. Bet they got in via the image sharing feature. Also quite surprised that they have ripped it open that badly already. Would have expected at least some more weeks of userland fuckery until they breached into the holy kernel land. Guess basing the OS of an already known one didn't only ease development for Nintendo...

They spent months in userland fuckery since they were in through webkit on basically the first week, lol.

That said, this is still slower than the WiiU and 3DS... as sad as that is to say.

oti

Banned

Couldn't hit a better system, though. For eating up 750MB RAM and one entire core, the OS of the switch is still terribly barebones. Some of that might be by design, but there really are some missing features that I wouldn't mind seeing added by a homebrew channel, Wii style.

...I'd laugh if they somehow manage to get the voice chat (/splatnet etc) app to run on the switch. I think it's mostly a HTML5 app on phones, right? That should do wonders for portability.

Imagine having the entire Switch Online App on the Switch split screen style lol.

jackal27

Banned
After so many folks got their 3DS' banned from doing this kind of thing, I'm not touching it until the console is off the market.

wolgoen

Some amazingly talented people out there, I don't have the first clue where to start in hacking a system, despite people's opinions about jail breaking computer software and hardware, there's no denying it's a unique skill to have and an astonishing level of expertise.

Homebrew incoming! Emulators baby! Wooooot!!!

SURGEdude

Considering how much has been squeezed from the limited hardware, small user base, and late deep cracking of the Vita, I think the Switch offers some amazing potential. Vita's small homebrew scene has, in a very short time been so incredible that it's justified the purchase in a way Sony struggled to do over a number of years and a pile of investment. Granted it's not been hard to upstage Sony when it comes to making the Vita valuable, but it's still incredibly impressive. As a user and fan my allegiance comes in that order. If the device becomes more useful and valuable then the interests of the platform holder aren't my main concern.

I want Nintendo to do well, but I want the most out of my device a hell of a lot more. If somebody else will provide non-pirated solutions to do things Nintendo doesn't care to or have interest in providing, that fine. I'm not gonna feel bad when somebody who is willing to provide that stuff figures out a way to do it against the the platform holder's will.

Turrican3

If you're on the side of shit like the DMCA just because you fear for your favorite megacorp getting their precious digital toys pirated, you're on the wrong side. Simple as that.
I don't know about the details of the DMCA, but yes, I *do* fear about piracy because above certain threshold it can seriously destroy the software ecosystem.
I know all too well that, since this is exactly what happened with the Amiga for example when consoles took over ( --> very few people kept buying games, finally the market totally, utterly collapsed despite quite similar hardware specs... C= being horribly mismanaged and then going under just made things worse / happen faster, but wasn't the driving factor IMHO)

If it was just about expanding basic capabilities with zero piracy (and yes, no impact on cheating and stuff like that) it would be 100% ok to me.

But anecdotally (please note I live in Italy where piracy is and has always been extremely widespread, I think we were among to top pirating countries *worldwide* but I haven't been following closely those kind of stats lately) I don't know a single f*****g person that resorts to homebrew just to overcome certain limitations: they always do that so they can have commercial stuff for free and it's been like this like... forever.

Maybe in the rest of the world things go in a quite different way, but to me it's not that hard to see how often the two things are basically correlated. :-\

Verder

tenor.gif

lol

damn this why we cant have nicee things

Ninja Dom

That is great. Nintendo cant even let people copy their save games, so ofc people will always find a workaround. Which includes hacking everything in the system.

I guess because of their shit online stuff people dont care much about buying games instead of pirating on Nintendo platforms. Well, at least this is how I feel... I would never pirate a PS4 game, but a 3ds or Switch one... First console I felt like that was the 360 (first ever great online console) and the PS3 afterwards. For the Wii I just didnt care either. It doesnt seem like a big problem. But I will go original only on the Switch (when I get one, if Nintendo let me find one in store). Btw, Nintendo doesnt seem to give a fuck either if you are pirating stuff ont heir platforms (with the switch it seems that the protection relies entirely on the nVidia technology). And honestly, people that pirate wouldnt buy a game in the first place if they had to pay for it.

This sounds like an "it's okay to pirate Nintendo games" post. You're advocating piracy here.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The sooner Switch is fully hacked the better.

It would make an awesome home-brew machine.
What would it do better than a phone? I like the idea of homebrew, but the apps aren't really great, besides giving more functionality (like copying saves, data, games, etc) to the machine.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anti-piracy advocates need to chill.

Every device ever eventually gets pirated. It don't matter much. Most people buy consoles for simplicity. There's no way they're going to find all that process simple.

And at the end of the day, pirates do the best jobs at archiving games. And keeping them playable.

Go Pirates, we love you, yey! .....????

jts

...hate me...
What would it do better than a phone? I like the idea of homebrew, but the apps aren't really great, besides giving more functionality (like copying saves, data, games, etc) to the machine.
Insanely better control options including multiplayer out of box and easy TV connection, also out of the box.

Essentially the same reason why the Switch is such a much better gaming system than any phone.

MUnited83

For you.
Super easy to set up 2 player retro emulation would be pretty sweet.

ty_hot

This sounds like an "it's okay to pirate Nintendo games" post. You're advocating piracy here.
Yeah it does sound like it, but that's how I feel somehow. Doesn't make any sense though. But I'm past the piracy era.

And as someone pointed out above, nowadays there is steam for cheap gaming which sure wasnt a reality when I was young. If i was young now I guess I would feel differently about it. If you add inflation to what I used to lay for pirated ps1 games back then, I'm sure it's cheaper to be on steam today than pirating stuff in the ps1 era.

Not to say that even today Nintendo doesnt officially releases it's consoles in Brazil so if you want a Nintendo product you are in the hands of importers who charge absurd amounts or smugglers that bring it from the USA for a reasonable price. Being in the legality side of the gaming in Brazil is a fckng hard thing to do and doesnt really translate to "helping the industry" when it comes to Nintendo. MS brought the Xbox 360 first and had great results, localized games, Brazilian Live, then Sony followed. With all the competition doing great (steam, sony, Microsoft), its sad to see Nintendo not even trying.

Anyways, dont pirate o/

Dekuboy

Neo Member
Switch shouldn´t be hacked until late 2019. Hurting sales and 3rd party relationships would be shit for now. After that it´s fine. Oh and how can I backup saves?

I would rather want a ps4 jailbreak.

ozfunghi

In case there was any misunderstanding, I don't support piracy, I don't think people are entitled to pirate, and I certainly think companies are free to protect themselves from piracy as they see fit. I just don't like seeing consumers essentially shame other consumers over trying to get the most out of stuff they bought by taking it apart and playing around with it, just because of concerns of piracy. It's very silly to me.

The problem is though, that piracy and homebrew basically go hand in hand at this point. The same exploits that are being found and used "for good" (homebrew) are also being used "for bad" (piracy). The research that is being done for homebrew, is likely the gateway to piracy. So, while i don't agree with "shaming people" because they like homebrew, i do think it's allowed to have a different opinion on the matter, no? Without it having to mean being "on the wrong side", as you said. This is not about Nintendo's wallet, it's about MY wallet. I bought an expensive piece of hardware, i would like to see games come out for it. If it gets hacked for homebrew, that means it will very likely lead to piracy. (Or are there any examples of consoles getting homebrew that didn't get pirated in the process? Honest question.) And when that happens, developers stop making games for the system. And when that happens, i'm stuck with an expensive piece of hardware without any games to play.

So yes, i think people should be aware of the consequences. You can't act as if homebrew exists in a bubble. Sure, fiddling around with a device "you bough and own" has to be within your rights. But when it comes at a high cost, people should think about the effect it has on the entire community.

Im honestly more shocked that you Switch owners have no way to backup saves.If Nintendo is holding your loved ones hostage blink twice.

Its gonna get hacked very soon but maybe like Vita it will be a choice of staying on older firmware to use which means not being able to play any newer games.

Vena

derrek has access (given who he is, he will not release this or the methods so its largely a matter of metric for what he has accomplished) to the TrustZone code which in and of itself isn't too important unless they can figure out a way to exploit it. This was the next step after gaining the kernel dump since they can find where the code for TZ is hidden.

However, we now also know that the Switch has a fuse downgrade protection, and early notice is that its fairly robust. If you want to roll back to a "hacked update", you will risk bricking your Switch permanently. Have fun!

Edit: If you want access to these hacks, you will likely want to stay on 2.0.0 for the time being.

vaultecboy

Neo Member
Well.. those roms are -maybe- a good base for the future (emulation of retail games on a PC...)
sadly , to few exclusive games ...

Kenpachii

The problem is though, that piracy and homebrew basically go hand in hand at this point. The same exploits that are being found and used "for good" (homebrew) are also being used "for bad" (piracy). The research that is being done for homebrew, is likely the gateway to piracy. So, while i don't agree with "shaming people" because they like homebrew, i do think it's allowed to have a different opinion on the matter, no? Without it having to mean being "on the wrong side", as you said. This is not about Nintendo's wallet, it's about MY wallet. I bought an expensive piece of hardware, i would like to see games come out for it. If it gets hacked for homebrew, that means it will very likely lead to piracy. (Or are there any examples of consoles getting homebrew that didn't get pirated in the process? Honest question.) And when that happens, developers stop making games for the system. And when that happens, i'm stuck with an expensive piece of hardware without any games to play.

So yes, i think people should be aware of the consequences. You can't act as if homebrew exists in a bubble. Sure, fiddling around with a device "you bough and own" has to be within your rights. But when it comes at a high cost, people should think about the effect it has on the entire community.

Developers already stopped making software for the switch. It's pure Nintendo that supports it. Let's stop being over dramatic.

Also if piracy is so bad, how come that DS/Wii/PS1/PS2 which where all riddled with piracy where such massive success story's?

How come PC is currently dominating the market with games as league of legends that rake in billions of dollars each year? How come GTA 5 that is easily to pirate is ranking in more and more sold copy's year on year?

Fighting against your consumer never worked PC proved this countless times, it's counter productive. You need to listen what they want and deliver something attractive to push them away from it and make them appreciate you and it will result in sales.

People pay if it makes sense for them. Fight your consumer and you lose the battle.

What nintendo should do.

1) Free internet ( this shouldn't even be a thing )
2) Open up VC with 1 buck roms that will always carry over to next generation hardware and gets launched on day one.
3) Give emulator access towards DS / GBA / GB / 3DS titles digitally through there shop for real cheap prices.
4) Make a PSN+ type of solution ( do not lock internet behind it ) that gives you access monthly towards older roms and switch titles as long as you stay subscribed.
5) Get android shop to run on it.
6) Get gog client on it
7) Get riot / league / epic / blizzard clients on it
8) Contact PC developers and push free to play titles through there device that sell skins like league of legends / smite etc etc. Or even switch towards this concept entirely. Like make mario kart 9 completely free and just sell skins through it same goes for splatoon.

Now people that spended already a lot of money got something new to play without spending money on it. And it will result in sales.

What are they doing?

Oh hey guys, you know about your games you play now online on your 400 euro costing switch ( with game ) you just bought? oh you need to pay us 20 more bucks and 34 if you paid us even more money for our products. Because reasons.

Work with your community, don't fight it.

The reason why these hack groups are so active is because the switch is hardware they like, but sadly Nintendo limits its use so heavily that its interesting for them to open it up and make it actually usable for more then just 1 month of gaming out of a year.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Kenpachii Kenpachii
I don’t care how you spin it piracy is bad, it’s not fighting against your consumer it’s a company trying to make a profit like all business small or big try to do.
Stealing intellectual property from someone else’s hard work is never a good thing.
Just because you don’t want to pay for something or in general your a cheap bastard with no morals does not make it ok.

Last edited:

Halo0629

It's really embarrassing knowing that the switch can be easily hacked using only a paper clip or even a safety pin. Nintendo f up big time.

Top Bottom