• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto Online just had its best money-making quarter ever

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case you were wondering why companies love service games.

Grand Theft Online just had its best money-making quarter ever

Grand Theft Auto V has been out for almost four years, but its online component is still Take-Two‘s big money-maker. In fact, Grand Theft Auto Online just had its best quarter yet.

Take-Two noted today in its earnings report for the first quarter of fiscal year 2018 that Grand Theft Auto Online exceeded net sales expectations and was the single largest contributor to recurrent consumer spending. GTA Online is an open world multiplayer game where you can earn digital cash through playing, which you can then use to buy things likes clothes and cars. But you can also spend real money to pad your virtual wallet.

Grand Theft Auto Online helped to drive Take-Two’s net sales for the quarter to $348.3 million, up 28 percent. A whopping 94 percent of that, $326.2 million, came from back catalog games, mostly Grand Theft Auto V and NBA 2K17.

Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/02/grand-theft-online-just-had-its-best-money-making-quarter-ever/

Tawpgun

Turns out when you go from selling fast sports cars and luxury apartments to mobile assualt command platforms and expiremental military crazy weapons and vehicles....

people will buy more

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
See: Valve regarding Half-Life.

gFMhf.gif

Even though RDR2 online could be fun, would much prefer single player DLC.

Hopefully the single player isnt cut down because of a focus on the online aspect.

Although it would make sense if they did, tried gta online and just didnt seem fun. Missions where pretty dull and the grind was horrendous.

Playing online free roam in gta iv was a blast though

Dyl

Take-Two also said that they will be extending the lifetime of GTA Online as a result. The original plan was to cease the large content updates this year.

In addition, due to the continued success of Grand Theft Auto Online and other factors, the Company has determined that it is necessary to extend the life of Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online for purposes of calculating deferrals.
http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2291171

Tawpgun

It's still kind of shit, at least from my experience the load times have never been fixed.

1. The load times suck

2. The infrastructure for the games "lobby system" is awful. There are way too many activities so if you want to play X you better hope you have enough friends or else x will not populate with enough players.

3. If you want the cool crazy weapons and vehicles you have to either grind an insane amount or give Rockstar your money so they can give you game money.

daman824

As long as Rockstar games continue to release with meaty single player experiences, I don't mind too much about offline post launch support

Burt

Been waiting for this game to hit $15 during a Steam sale

itsbeen84years.gif

Gonna be 84 more with this shit going on

As long as Rockstar games continue to release with meaty single player experiences, I don't mind too much about post launch support

Yeah GTA online is pretty fun with friends but as long as I keep getting the great rockstar single player games I don't give a shit what they do with the online.

The gta online addiction is real, my friends played every day for well over a year just straight up socializing and making friends .

Keinning

As long as Rockstar games continue to release with meaty single player experiences, I don't mind too much about offline post launch support

they only struck gold with GTAV online

so RDR2 is the first test to see if we'll keep getting the "meaty single player experiences" rockstar is known for

Vinc

I really, really don't think you guys are on the right track if you think they'll stop making single player games. A lot of people are drawn to their games for that aspect of them. You can bet all of their games will have a huge online component from now on, though.

Dyl

Does gta online on PS4 still take minutes to load, and transition back and forth to your apartment ?

Yes. I think people forget that this game was built for last-gen consoles and would take a complete overhaul to fix the lobby system/load times.

It will be interesting to see how much of an improvement the online component of RDR2 is.

I'm ok if they segment and do both. But I want my traditional story focused Rock Star games as well. There's a market for both.

You know what it means
Time to get your credit card ready for some great white horse goldbars in RDR2

Get ready for horse breeding. Everyone starts with basic horses and to get better ones you have to buy 2, then a farm, then a stable for the farm, breeding materials, etc. etc. That's what I'm expecting.

Tbh, GTA online is great and they have been handling adding content pretty much the best in the league imo. I feel like GTA 6 will definitely have a higher focus in the online space....it might just be the whole damn game tbh. I'm here for it

Betty

Banned
When it works it is fun, but the load times kill it as does how much you have to play to get anything worthwhile.

Also RDR had a really fun online mode, a more robust version of that is welcome.

I just don't want the single player experience to vanish.

samred

the quarterly report doesn't appear to confirm anything about this being GTA Online's "best quarter yet."

Take-Two also said that they will be extending the lifetime of GTA Online as a result. The original plan was to cease the large content updates this year.

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2291171
I think you are probably right that they might not cease content updates, but that quote is specifically talking about changing an assumption in their financial models which will adjust the amount of deferred revenue and COGS recorded on their balance sheet.

NoKisum

Calling it now:

Grand Theft Auto 6 will be an always-online MMO-lite. Your character will start as a grunt of a big Ballers-esque gang, slowly making his/her way up, as the gang as a whole (aka all the players) slowly take down this big corrupt political movement. Online story will last about 3-4 years, as the contact missions added periodically will give the feel of an episodic television series. More Shark Card tiers.

eizarus

Banned
Lol! GTA 6 is going to combine single and multiplayer (almost in a Destiny-like manner).

I doubt it but I'd love to see the salt threads if that happened

Top Bottom