• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Hollywood/media in general not value older women?

Ishan

already replied to the other poster that i was speaking of broader terms

really, it's disappointing to see the soft defense of the status quo of older women being basically valued less on screen

no agree on that. hollywood is superficial ... thats why this continues ... i mean its not by accident all actors and actresses are hot etc etc. Get the broader point tho. I was just replying with regard to hollywood.

duckroll

The older man with younger woman dynamic is something that society has yet to shake off. It is simply seen as desirable for a man to be able to snag a pretty young thing even when he is older, and is seen as a sign of his attractiveness and appeal. Meanwhile in the reverse, women are seen as cougars looking to take advantage of a younger guy or have him under their thumb. It's definitely a sexist mindset, but it's also one society needs to fix overall.

But I can easily think of older women who are still attractive and carry leading roles with sex appeal. For example... Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Lena Headey, Amy Adams, Jennifer Aniston. I'm pretty sure many of them are often paired with actors who are younger too.

wazoo

hollywood need also more good actress that can stand the test of time and not only pretty sitcom girls with no acting skills

of course same for men, but the woman aging problem is more important

Well I remember in some reviews where Kate Bosworth was criticized for being too attractive and not believable in the role of Lois Lane in Superman Returns.

I don't recall the attractive complaint, but she was too young considering she was like 22 playing Margot Kidder's Lois in her mid to late 30s.

And on Amy Adams, both her love interests in Nocturnal Animals were younger (by 6 and 12 years).

Ishan

The older man with younger woman dynamic is something that society has yet to shake off. It is simply seen as desirable for a man to be able to snag a pretty young thing even when he is older, and is seen as a sign of his attractiveness and appeal. Meanwhile in the reverse, women are seen as cougars looking to take advantage of a younger guy or have him under their thumb. It's definitely a sexist mindset, but it's also one society needs to fix overall.

But I can easily think of older women who are still attractive and carry leading roles with sex appeal. For example... Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Lena Headey, Amy Adams, Jennifer Aniston. I'm pretty sure many of them are often paired with actors who are younger too.

disagree on the second part how many of those women seem "old" per say. You see actors like redford and harrison ford with clear wrinkles with younger women. The older women you mention still look amazingly young.

A man with wrinkles age is seen as gruff a woman is simply seen as old. I would say one of the best examples is say got. Cersei still looks way younger than jamie in got. They are supposed to be twins looked alike season 1 young. now both look older but jamie seems to have aged much more and its not seen as an issue.

I don't recall the attractive complaint, but she was too young considering she was like 22 playing Margot Kidder's Lois in her mid to late 30s.

And on Amy Adams, both her love interests in Nocturnal Animals were younger (by 6 and 12 years).

I also meant to add her being young too.

duckroll

disagree on the second part how many of those women seem "old" per say. You see actors like redford and harrison ford with clear wrinkles with younger women. The older women you mention still look amazingly young.

A man with wrinkles age is seen as gruff a woman is simply seen as old. I would say one of the best examples is say got. Cersei still looks way younger than jamie in got. They are supposed to be twins looked alike season 1 young. now both look older but jamie seems to have aged much more and its not seen as an issue.

Well I was responding to the OP's definition of "older women" where the comparison was with actors in their 40s and 50s. If we increase that, yes it changes dramatically. An actor in his late 50s and 60s could still been presented as the "old playboy" who has younger lovers, but an actress in the same age range will be playing a more "dignified" character usually in positions of power or authority without much or any sexuality involved in the role.

I completely agree on that.

wazoo

recall any james bond, sean connery in medecine man, willis in red, robert redford in out of africa and later, newman in color of money, etc

60 years old and more

Essentially in Hollywood you go from hot woman to a witch.

Yeah, you can literally end up only being a witch.

I was about to say this.

If you're 40-something and still attractive, at least you get to play a witch!

nxJo6eG.jpg

WqkAWEu.png

a46MBmz.png

VhfemGT.png

Ishan

Well I was responding to the OP's definition of "older women" where the comparison was with actors in their 40s and 50s. If we increase that, yes it changes dramatically. An actor in his late 50s and 60s could still been presented as the "old playboy" who has younger lovers, but an actress in the same age range will be playing a more "dignified" character usually in positions of power or authority without much or any sexuality involved in the role.

I completely agree on that.

agree we have strong very respected characters played by older females like oleynna in got who has absolutely no sex involvement whereas her age ppl like tywin are shown to be with shae etc. Plus the sexism aspect also has complicated issues to deal with such as i guess males retain reproductive potential till later ages women dont but thats diverting too much off topic and a whole other can of worms i guess.

btw your tag . Wot reference?

Alienfan

What. Cersei looks older than Jamie, or at least about the same age

Pluto

Amy Adam's Lois Lane is one of the very very very rare instances where the female lead is older than her male love interest.
One of the things I loved about Man of Steel was her casting. Lois should always be older than Clark, she was already an expereimced reporter when he started.

Well I remember in some reviews where Kate Bosworth was criticized for being too attractive and not believable in the role of Lois Lane in Superman Returns.
Too attractive? I don't remember that but she was definitely too young! She was 22 (and looked her age!) playing a Pulitzer Price winning reporter with a five year old son who was already successful and in a kinda sorta relationship with Superman for some time before her son was born. Did she graduate from college and start at the planet when she was 12? She was miscast and absolutely unbelievable.

Randam

Often male actors look younger and females look older, or lets say more mature than her real age.

Is Lawrence supposed to be 26 in mother?

Alo0oy

Banned
Of course.

I'm still salty about Fox recasting Jean Grey, no offense to Sophie Turner, but she's not a good Jean Grey.

Keri

Because women would make the exceptions for those men, hence why it looks believable in the film.

It's not like these guys are regular 50-year olds. Male leading actors in these kind of roles are often themselves very handsome men. A lot of women in the 20's I know are attracted to guys like Javier Bardem, Leonardo diCaprio or Brad Pitt, despite those actors being much older than they are.

This isn't just any 20-something women either, though. You're taking into account that Javier Barden is a "lead actor" and good looking for 50, but completely eliminating any qualities about the woman in this equation. It's Jennifer Lawrence, probably one of the most popular actresses right now. She can obviously do way better and Bardem's age shows. It looks completely out of place to me. Her and Chris Pratt or Liam Hemsworth, look way more realistic (and is a pairing that would appeal more to women), but that's the whole point I'm making. Putting Lawrence with Bardem isn't about appealing to women.

This isn't just any 20-something women either, though. You're taking into account that Javier Barden is a "lead actor" and good looking for 50, but completely eliminating any qualities about the woman in this equation. It's Jennifer Lawrence, probably one of the most popular actresses right now. She can obviously do way better and Bardem's age shows. It looks completely out of place to me. Her and Chris Pratt or Liam Hemsworth, look way more realistic (and is a pairing that would appeal more to women), but that's the whole point I'm making. Putting Lawrence with Bardem isn't about appealing to women.

It looks completely out of place TO YOU. I never claimed it was about appealing to women, however Jennifer Lawrence starring will definitely appeal to women.

Also it's not as if Jennifer Lawrence is with a man twice her age that directed her in this film and looks like this. Since y'know, she can OBVIOUSLY do way better.

Keri

It looks completely out of place TO YOU. I never claimed it was about appealing to women, however Jennifer Lawrence starring will definitely appeal to women.

Also it's not as if Jennifer Lawrence is with a man twice her age that directed her in this film and looks like this. Since y'know, she can OBVIOUSLY do way better.

Yes, it looks out of place to me and the others that have similarly commented about it, in this thread. Obviously, you like the idea of an older man dating a younger woman. It's clearly appealing to you, in exactly the way it's intended.

Also, I think Lawrence can obviously do better than Aronofsky. She's clearly the more attractive person in that pairing, but her personal life isn't really the point. The point is, if you ask what women want to see and what the ideal relationship is, it's not going to include a 30 year age difference, but as per usual, we are not the focus here. Movies will continue to depict relationships that are rare, because they attract men.

Uh, not true dude, sometimes they turn into a goddess of death

tumblr_oo7m2kC3HN1qf5tr5o1_500.gif

goddamn she is a fox with that look

something about older ladies with dark hair / goth looks

I'm pretty sure most of us would fuck Darren Aronofsky

Julia Stile's character in the Jason Bourne series definitely got nerfed because of her age. They killed all the potential storytelling with her just because of that. smh

Fuchsdh

It's kind of weird to think in some ways this is where Hollywood has regressed. I was talking with friends about the perception of women being drummed out when they got old and if you look back at the golden age of Hollywood, the big actresses bucked that trend better than a lot of their modern counterparts. Seems like it might have been an unintentional side effect of the studio system, where talent was cultivated and held a lot more fiercely. Now? There's going to be a thousand men or women right behind you that are equally as attractive, probably as skilled, and (definitely) a lot cheaper.

Which I think is the inherent problem if you see this as a problem that needs fixing. Where's the economic motive to get studios to react? I simply don't think audiences care enough to make it a major reason that films will change. At a base level, we like attractive people, and it's part of the escapism. If the age difference in Hollywood shrinks, I'd wager it's more likely the guys get younger than the women get older.

Yes, it looks out of place to me and the others that have similarly commented about it, in this thread. Obviously, you like the idea of an older man dating a younger woman. It's clearly appealing to you, in exactly the way it's intended.

Also, I think Lawrence can obviously do better than Aronofsky. She's clearly the more attractive person in that pairing, but her personal life isn't really the point. The point is, if you ask what women want to see and what the ideal relationship is, it's not going to include a 30 year age difference, but as per usual, we are not the focus here. Movies will continue to depict relationships that are rare, because they attract men.

I don't care who dates who. It just doesn't look odd to me because I see it all the time regardless if you think it's RARE.

I agree with your second part about what women would want to see ideally in terms of pairings. However women are interested in women in lead roles, especially a movie star like Jennifer Lawrence, of a good to great movie, particularly Horror movies which already attract a higher female to male ratio.

Keri

I agree with your second part about what women would want to see ideally in terms of pairings. However women are interested in women in lead roles, especially a movie star like Jennifer Lawrence, of a good to great movie, particularly Horror movies which already attract a higher female to male ratio.

Well, I think I fall into the category you're talking about: I love Jennifer Lawrence. I loved Black Swan and I like the horror movie genre, but all I could think watching the trailer was that Lawrence and Bardem looked gross together. He is clearly old enough to be her father. Personally, it's enough that I'll probably pass and catch the movie on Netflix someday, but I can't say whether it will drive away many others. Women are used to media not being tailored to us. Whether other women choose to pass on the film or not though, I think it's safe to say that many will notice and think the pairing is ridiculous.

Also, do you really see 50 year old men dating 20-something women, all the time? Like, average Joe's?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

"Can do better" you realise your talking about people here? Sounds awfully superficial look at someone else's relationship.

I don't disagree with your overall point Hollywood and sensibilities they attempt to project and appeal to. It's largely controlled by old men portraying their societal views in a process of trying to appeal to it her women. Films geared at women are deemed as a novelty rather than the norm.

zeemumu

There's a saying that once you pass a certain age threshold in Hollywood your roles are pretty much limited to the grandparent or a witch.

I was about to say this.

If you're 40-something and still attractive, at least you get to play a witch!

nxJo6eG.jpg

WqkAWEu.png

a46MBmz.png

VhfemGT.png

Ah, beaten

You missed one, though
545b7546c2dcfcdc402d317b_meryl-glamour-brighter.png

Well, I think I fall into the category you're talking about: I love Jennifer Lawrence. I loved Black Swan and I like the horror movie genre, but all I could think watching the trailer was that Lawrence and Bardem looked gross together. He is clearly old enough to be her father. Personally, it's enough that I'll probably pass and catch the movie on Netflix someday, but I can't say whether it will drive away many others. Women are used to media not being tailored to us. Whether other women choose to pass on the film or not though, I think it's safe to say that many will notice and think the pairing is ridiculous.

Also, do you really see 50 year old men dating 20-something women, all the time? Like, average Joe's?

I agree Javier Bardem was an odd choice to couple her up with who actually looks more his age than other actors, however it may be a purposeful choice as it relates to the theme of the film. However I can see it being more of a turn off as she's been coming off from being coupled with actors like Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper.

50 year old men dating 20 something is less common, but I see 40 something year old men dating 20 something women all the time. Not really Average Joe's, but decent looking dude's that keep themselves kept up, with good jobs.

Is the age gap between Lawrence and Bardem relevant to the plot? That's the vibe I got watching the trailer.

Shockingly tone-deaf choice otherwise though.

Top Bottom