• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POC, and anyone read up: recommend me some literature to help me get more woke.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'll be the first to admit that I've been on shaky ground with some of my past views. I supported Pewdiepie when the WSJ article came out. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and upset a lot of people, I'm pretty fucking ashamed of that blindness.

And while I consider myself as someone who would give up my privileges if it meant someone with far less could have a little more, I know for certain I have blind spots.

I don't want them anymore, and I'd really like to read well written literature that'll help me achieve this. Anything that will educate me on anything related to the systemic oppression of POC, anything I can use as ammunition in the fight against the rise of Nazism.

I'm googling it myself, but I'd love some recommendations from the more learned too.

Not

Banned
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1595586431/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's a good start for how racism was hidden from sight instead of eradicated like white Americans we were led to believe.

Also, this is an essential watch. https://www.netflix.com/title/80091741

Made me cry towards the end. Like uncontrollable sobbing. Especially this statistic:

African Americans make up 6.5% of the American population but 40.2% of the prison populace. While a white male has a 1 in 17 chance of ending up behind bars, for black males it is 1 in 3.

Magwik

Banned
I'm a white dude, but the Netflix Documentary 13th and the new film Detroit would be a decent start even though they're films.

Calion

Black Man in a White Coat is a fascinating read.

Edit: It deals with race and medicine, and his reflections into that. Damon Tweedy (the author) is one of the first recipients of an Affiramtive Action diploma to Duke's medical school. On one of his first days there, a professor asks if he's there to fix the lights....

Zakalwe

Banned

This is great, I'll look through it.

Specifically after literature though as I need stuff to read while I travel, and I've let my reading slip lately.

Noted the others, thanks!

Mumei has done the work:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=229180840&postcount=379

Still going through this list. Thank you SO much for your effort here.

Oh damn! This is perfect, thank you!

Zakalwe

Banned
If you could tell me why the book you're recommending is important, too?

Has anyone red anything in-particular that gave them a specific insight, fro example?

Heroman

Banned
If you could tell me why the book you're recommending is important, too?

Has anyone red anything in-particular that gave them a specific insight, fro example?
Blood Emmett Till , tell the story of brutal murder of him in depth, it talks about racism in both the south and North. It also talks about the widespread terror lynching arcoss the nation.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
51hg4GPv2pL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I would highly recommend you read this book.

Zakalwe

Banned
Mods should change that title. What an embarrassment

What have I done?

If you're mocking the use of 'woke' I was trying to be concise and I don't care if you think the word is silly, it's a fine term.

"Woke" doesn't just mean "aware" to me, I see it as specifically meaning being able to see through the eyes of POC to the best of your ability.

If I'm wrong about the word please school me. This is part of the process, right?

Imm0rt4l

Black skin, white masks by Frantz Fanon is a fantastic book.
This. Wretched of the earth as well

OP Please ignore this post

Necrovex

Dear White People is a fantastic embodiment of what you want (albeit it as a Netflix TV show).

The winner of the Nonfiction National Book Award was "Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America." Based on the title, I'd imagine this would be a good piece of literature.

krazen

Because you'll be half a step away from believing all black people are from Egypt and that periods are the white devils creation

Also because fuck Tariq Nasheed

I always laugh at his bio being basically: "Black nationalist and historian, plus misogynistic pick up artist"

Privilege, Power, and Difference by Allan Johnson is a great introduction to systems of power in society.

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander is a horrifying and necessary look at the continued racism in the criminal justice system in America.

LionPride

Banned
The Spook Who Sat by the Door, book and movie

Also, I can't take anyone who unironically says woke that seriously anymore

Too many dumbasses saying it and being...stupid

I don't want them anymore, and I'd really like to read well written literature that'll help me achieve this. Anything that will educate me on anything related to the systemic oppression of POC, anything I can use as ammunition in the fight against the rise of Nazism.

Tribalism doesn't fall because you quote books and stats at people, if anything academic minutiae helps such movements rise since its ivory tower academics that the average person cannot sympathize with or understand.

Tribalism falls apart when either you have an external threat that can rally different people, when economic conditions demand that you work with different people to achieve higher prosperity, or when you regularly socialize with people you have been taught to hate.

You will never convince a 26 year old white kid raised under white power groups that black people are just like him by reading books or quoting wikipedia stats. It doesn't mean he is a lost cause, but you being "woke" isn't going to ever do anything to change him.

Finally the most important thing is realizing that the political process is the will of the majority, but only the majority that actually vote. White power groups haven't increased by 50% in membership in the last 9 months. Its always been in the background a certain percentage of America that hates anyone non white. They have just been emboldened to not hide in the past year for obvious reasons.

If more people would actually go out and vote instead of stay home and say the system is rigged/broken/etc, they would remain in the shadows. Only 55.7% of eligible voters actually went out on Nov 8th, 2016, ranking the US as 31st out of 34 tracked countries. Pretty simple solution that doesn't require laws changed, minds changed, anyone being "woke", etc. Simply being a volunteer in the campaign process and getting 2 people who never voted to go out and vote will do far, far, far more than reading 100 books.

Zakalwe

Banned
Tribalism doesn't fall because you quote books and stats at people, if anything academic minutiae helps such movements rise since its ivory tower academics that the average person cannot sympathize with or understand.

Tribalism falls apart when either you have an external threat that can rally different people, when economic conditions demand that you work with different people to achieve higher prosperity, or when you regularly socialize with people you have been taught to hate.

You will never convince a 26 year old white kid raised under white power groups that black people are just like him by reading books or quoting wikipedia stats. It doesn't mean he is a lost cause, but you being "woke" isn't going to ever do anything to change him.

Finally the most important thing is realizing that the political process is the will of the majority, but only the majority that actually vote. White power groups haven't increased by 50% in membership in the last 9 months. Its always been in the background a certain percentage of America that hates anyone non white. They have just been emboldened to not hide in the past year for obvious reasons.

If more people would actually go out and vote instead of stay home and say the system is rigged/broken/etc, they would remain in the shadows. Only 55.7% of eligible voters actually went out on Nov 8th, 2016, ranking the US as 31st out of 34 tracked countries. Pretty simple solution that doesn't require laws changed, minds changed, anyone being "woke", etc. Simply being a volunteer in the campaign process and getting 2 people who never voted to go out and vote will do far, far, far more than reading 100 books.

I actually meant by being able to speak to decent people I know and try to get them more involved. I realise talking with nazis isn't going to get me anywhere. And this is about my personal expansion, too.

Thanks, though, and I agree with you.

The Spook Who Sat by the Door, book and movie

Also, I can't take anyone who unironically says woke that seriously anymore

Too many dumbasses saying it and being...stupid

Fair enough, I wouldn't use it in every day conversation but I thought it fit here.

They're not about the BLACKTIVITY Brother Axel.

Any who speaks on "hotep" is off base. There is nothing hotep about a documentary that is researched history.

Hidden Colors 3 is sitting at 507 reviews at 4.9-5.0 stars.
Hidden Colors 4 is sitting at 517 reviews at 4.8-5 stars.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G06T00S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

White Supremacist are going to do any and everything to discredit the truth.

Truth = Truth.

entremet

Because you'll be half a step away from believing all black people are from Egypt and that periods are the white devils creation

Also because fuck Tariq Nasheed
Periods are the white devil’s creation? What? Historical periods?

On topic:

Listen to some videos of Michelle Alexander, who wrote The New Jim Crow.

Top Bottom