• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

Oberon

Banned
Actually if you took the logo off the pringles can the joke still worked. Because it's a pop culture reference we all know.

Whether you think it's funny or not, doesn't matter.

A reference is not a joke by it self. It's the epitome of "Remember this? This exists!"

DeathyBoy

Banned
Product placement is usually a really dumb, nitpicky complaint. Iron Man 1 has one of the most blatant examples (Burger King) and it never gets brought up.

These types of 'issues' are only relevant if someone doesn't like the film.

In Iron Man's case, that was a metatextual allusion to RDJ deciding to get sober while eating a disgusting Burger King years before Iron Man. I think we can excuse that, given it's pretty clever of them to draw comparisons between RDJ in reality and Tony in fiction using BK as a means of sorting their life out.

Hex

Banned
Not sure why this assbag's opinion is supposed to matter to me. Spoiler
it doesn't
Just watched this and enjoyed it. Sad that so many had hang ups or preconceptions that kept them from liking it.

Seriously again though this age of people letting themselves be swayed by interweb dime a dozens is disturbing

it doesn't
Just watched this and enjoyed it. Sad that so many had hang ups or preconceptions that kept them from liking it.

Seriously again though this age of people letting themselves be swayed by interweb dime a dozens is disturbing
Is this a joke lol

The movie was shit, this review justified the existence of the movie. STOP DANCING. REMEMBER SCARFACE?

Gobias

Banned
it doesn't

What's the point of reviewing anything

I don't know how I've managed to never hear about Mr. Plinkett until now, this character is brilliant. I even watched the Episode 1 review. He has some very insightful commentary. Beyond the schtick, there is some serious film analysis here. It's a shame what Sony and Fieg did to the Ghostbusters franchise. I don't know how Sony pictures is still continuing to survive.

I don't know how I've managed to never hear about Mr. Plinkett until now, this character is brilliant. I even watched the Episode 1 review. He has some very insightful commentary. Beyond the schtick, there is some serious film analysis here. It's a shame what Sony and Fieg did to the Ghostbusters franchise. I don't know how Sony pictures is still continuing to survive.

Oh man if you like this content you need to join the red letter media ot and catch up on their content

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
What would really be dim would be if someone actually thought the problem here is that people just aren't getting this Pringles "joke". Imagine if someone actually thought that.

A reference is not a joke by it self. It's the epitome of "Remember this? This exists!"

You don't say...

People don't get the joke.

The joke is the ref in response to not stopping eating ala the old phrase. I mean did you even watch the scene out side he plinkett review?

You don't say...

People don't get the joke.

The joke is the ref in response to not stopping eating ala the old phrase. I mean did you even watch the scene out side he plinkett review?

NervousXtian doesn't get the problem.

The problem is that it is a cliched and tired joke to relies on a reference to a product. I mean did you even read people's responses?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

The problem is that it is a cliched and tired joke to relies on a reference to a product. I mean did you even read people's responses?

No no no, does he have to explain the joke again? You dont find it amusing cause you DONT UNDERSTAND IT. WAHP WAHP

it doesn't

WHAT IS CRITIQUING

*breaks into a dance sequence*

No no no, does he have to explain the joke again? You dont find it amusing cause you DONT UNDERSTAND IT. WAHP WAHP

They must explain it again for clarity's sake! Is the joke that she is supernaturally compelled to persist in eating Pringles™ chips? Or is it because it's the slogan for Pringles™? The world needs to know!

NervousXtian

No I mean people here literally don't understand what the joke is.

Some get it and don't like it. Some don't get it and pretend like it's just about Pringles.

I get the problem entirely. You obviously can't read.

DrSlek

WHAT IS CRITIQUING

*breaks into a dance sequence*

V8OC0oZ.gif

No I mean people here literally don't understand what the joke is.

Some get it and don't like it. Some don't get it and pretend like it's just about Pringles.

I get the problem entirely. You obviously can't read.

Obviously me, the person not using double spaces between sentences, can't read. EVERYONE gets the joke. It's a dumb, stupid, tired joke. Stop trying to defend mediocrity

I did on this page.
They don't get the joke? It seems like they did.

You're not getting their complaint: they are complaining that the joke is tired and cliched. It's a dead metaphor. Because of the joke's overuse, it doesn't seem like a joke. Because it's not funny, it doesn't seem like a joke. It is such a tired joke that it is not funny at all.

Wait... how old are you? Because a lot of clambakes such as "once you pop" are used in Disney shows all of the time because kids haven't heard the jokes before. Are you thirteen?

it doesn't

As opposed to what? Newspaper dime a dozen movie critics? Dime a dozen friends? Why do people today still think that pointing out that a criticism.is delivered via the Internet is some kind of undermining sick burn? Maybe if this was written on a typewriter by a guy with a green eye shade we'd be able to take it seriously then?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
it doesn't

Look at you, so cool, living a life where you have never been influenced ever by other people about everything. Soo coooooolllll~

NervousXtian

Why are you tripling/quadrupling down on such a dumb ass issue? The "joke" in question is incredibly tired.

References are not jokes.

Yes they can be. And again the reference wasn't the whole joke. That's my point on people missing the joke.

GhaleonEB

I got the Pringles joke. It was just a bad joke, badly timed and executed.

I liked the description of a "salty parabola", but otherwise it landed with a thud and disrupted what little tension the scene was building.

GhaleonEB

Was the original script ever published? I wonder what the ratio of scripted dialogue vs. improv was in the final film. I wanna see what they greenlit vs. got in the end product.

JeTmAn81

I watched my library copy of Lady Ghostbusters. I liked it. It's not great like the original, but I thought it was a fun exercise for some talented actors. A lot of Plinkett's criticisms now seem like the kind of nitpicking you can do to any film if you zoom in on it enough. I loved the way certain effects come out of the widescreen frame for a pseudo 3d feel.

Top Bottom