• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Console Version |OT| Straight to your living room!

Ok here we go, welcome to Edgewood.

VZsIhC3.png

It started with this:

Jn2WU1S.png

wWnHIHb.png

And got bigger very fast. Were people live, there needs to be an industrial area and i decided to make it on the left.

FUOJs7X.png

It's small but people enjoyed this little village.

rzY4hHl.png

uWaSSJj.png

At night:

XoApyzW.png

It continued to grow to the north, people want a nice place at the water.

UkVBMsv.png

4E3ZAq6.png

Now on the right side to the north.

Q5ltW4N.png

MFdSp27.png

And its growing.

3SG3AYj.png

MFdSp27.png

Until i had no more place left. At the very top there is a big shopping area as well as in the middle of the map.
And this the point where i am right now. Maybe i will build a bridge and continue on the left side of the map, we will see.

q5gl58D.png

ytr41x2.png

Rl5FliC.png

SPmBiM1.png

LejG8xj.png

8nXWDyd.png

WeTeHa

Bought the game.

Now that the game is out on xb1 and ps4 I hope we get the snowfall and mass transit expansion soon.

I have been playing for about 5 hours or so. I'm really enjoying the game. I wish that some of the mechanics were explained a bit better, but overall the game does a good job. I'm approaching 20,000 and have gotten few trophies. I will probably post some pics later (my city is ugly though :p).

This is totally on my radar now, wow those screens look really cool.

Out of curiosity, about how large is the maximum city size?

This is totally on my radar now, wow those screens look really cool.

Out of curiosity, about how large is the maximum city size?

You saw my city? I was using a quarter of 1 tile. You can see what i mean on my picure:

119OUJZ.png

You can have 9! of them. 9 tiles. You start with one and you can expand later.

Having lots of fun with this so far, but they're going to have to add the Snowfall/After Dark/Mass Transit expansions to complete this package.

N° 2048

Having lots of fun with this so far, but they're going to have to add the Snowfall/After Dark/Mass Transit expansions to complete this package.

It comes with After Dark DLC!

There's a video interview with the devs I saw a couple days ago and they said they are bringing it to consoles they just need to figure out how to "launch it".

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...dox-interactive-console-fans-rejoice.1039696/

I will gladly pay for DLC.

I can't believe I played this for seven hours today, that's how you know I like a game.

There's a video interview with the devs I saw a couple days ago and they said they are bringing it to consoles they just need to figure out how to "launch it".

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...dox-interactive-console-fans-rejoice.1039696/

I can't believe I played this for seven hours today, that's how you know I like a game.

Holy shit, I think that's the first time ever they address DLC on console and to my surprise, really say it's coming. Plus they said:

ForceAwakens7Text.gif

I can't wait! That's worth to be added to the OT later.

I played it for most of yesterday afternoon/evening.

The controls work really well, within half an hour I was pretty comfortable moving around and laying roads etc.

It looks nice but it's not as good as the PC version, the textures don't look as great, there's no tilt shift effect and at times the pop in and slowdown is really noticeable so I'm slightly disappointed because I thought that the Pro would handle this easily.

Staf

Me too. I mean i bought this game at such a discout price and i love every minute so far. I'll gladly support the devs with more €.

Oh I'm an idiot and I mean the natural disaster dlc, lol. I had a brain freeze.

But I'm glad the devs are going to bring it to consoles. Great news. I'll also be okay paying for it.

03sho

Are there pre set built towns of different sizes where I can also add to it if I wanted to? Don't have the time to start from scratch.

Staf

Sitting at work watching those screenshots above is rough.... 4 hours left plus 1 hours at gym to go...

wow I went from a city of 153,000 to one with 17,000 after going bankrupt

not sure if I can salvage this negative 4 million

I also have to find out again how to get and keep a good amount of money. I'm at 3000 people now and I'm always at zero and only gain (right now) 2000-3000 a day. Do I just have to sim more? Cause I always play with the slowest speed.

shiftplays

Neo Member
Played a few hours last night and had my town of 5,000 population almost covered in garbage due to a traffic problem. Solved with some demolition and road maintenance. Now want to start another town tonight.

Loved the game on PC and surprised how well it runs and control on console (Pro).

Oneself

Retro Edge's screens sold me on the game. Now I need time. :]

I only played Sim City SNES and Sim City 2000 on PS1. Nostalgia rocks.

Rellik

I played it for most of yesterday afternoon/evening.

The controls work really well, within half an hour I was pretty comfortable moving around and laying roads etc.

It looks nice but it's not as good as the PC version, the textures don't look as great, there's no tilt shift effect and at times the pop in and slowdown is really noticeable so I'm slightly disappointed because I thought that the Pro would handle this easily.
Might have to be a pass for me then. I have it on PC but hated sitting at my desk to play it. Was hoping this would actually be as good as the PC version.

Need more pictures here from other CS beginners. I always have the feeling my city does grow very nicely and naturally but I am still a little bit uninspired when it comes to uneven roads or roads that are not equiangular.

Lister

Banned
Might have to be a pass for me then. I have it on PC but hated sitting at my desk to play it. Was hoping this would actually be as good as the PC version.

It's pretty good with a steam controller if playing this ona couch is your thing.

I use it to play on the TV with my son, as he likes to folow the buses.

Also, the haptic pad is WAY better for precision placement of roads than the joystick.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone plays this game vanilla. Mods make it.

How does this game compare to Sim City on the PC?

I have SC and have played that extensively. I've got this on PC, but could never even get a small hamlet sized town to work (didn't understand how power worked and there was no in-game tutorial... seems a bit harder than SimCity...no?

I like the district tile features mentioned earlier in the thread.

One problem I has with both SimCity PC and Cities XL Platinum (PC) was beyond a certain size city, traffic becomes almost impossible to manage. Is the same thing an issue here?

Owari

I couldn't figure out how to play this game on pc. Is it easier on console? Big simcity fan and love what I've seen of skylines.

Guevara

I haven't played a game like this since the original SimCities. Is it worth $39? That's probably hard to answer.

N° 2048

I haven't played a game like this since the original SimCities. Is it worth $39? That's probably hard to answer.

Yes, worth it.
Devs also said they made this to prove people wrong that said city builders can't be on console. I support that.

kramer

Loving this. Bit crap at road management and both towns I've started have eventually succumbed to mass death and bankruptcy, but time to start a new town with better planning!

N° 2048

Loving this. Bit crap at road management and both towns I've started have eventually succumbed to mass death and bankruptcy, but time to start a new town with better planning!

rofl around what population? I'm around 2,500 and am starting to see the need for transit. Scared me because I gotta re do all the roads for that.

Lister

Banned
How does this game compare to Sim City on the PC?

I have SC and have played that extensively. I've got this on PC, but could never even get a small hamlet sized town to work (didn't understand how power worked and there was no in-game tutorial... seems a bit harder than SimCity...no?

I like the district tile features mentioned earlier in the thread.

One problem I has with both SimCity PC and Cities XL Platinum (PC) was beyond a certain size city, traffic becomes almost impossible to manage. Is the same thing an issue here?

There is deinfitley an ingame tutorial... it's been a while since I played but I'm almost certina of that.

This is not harder than SimCity in terms of city manegement (it's sadly very simplistic int his regard actually - my main complaint). It is orders of magnitue harder when it comes to traffic management.

This is basically a traffic management sim with some city building aspects to go along for the ride :)

If you've got a PC, then I suggest you paly it there as the mods make traffic management much more fun.

As for starting out it's pretty simple:

1. Do not over extend. You need enough funds at the start to make changes. It's easy to hit pause, build, hit play and see that you've got to build more power lines here, more pipes there, more roads over there, and you're now in the negative cause it takes awhile to get apositive cash flow, in the menatime people ar episse dso they leave. Game over.

2. So start small. One road leding from the highway, and two areas, one for residential zoning the other for industrial.

3. You need the following when starting: A water tower. Pipes covering your inital roads. A sewage dump going to the water and the pipes to connect it. Keep in midn that you want it DOWN stream from you. Either an electric plant or some wind power and power lines leading from them to your water tower, sewage plant, AND the city. It's tough with power at first because while areas with buildings transmit power, areas without them won't. That means you have to put up electric lines leading to the little clusters of buildings that spawn here and there at the start, and sometimes you can run out fo money doing this, so becareful. Try to hit one central zone as long as possible.

4. Traffic is your enemy in the mid to late game. It's what will make it hard to kepe people happy as services struggle to get to where they are needed. This aspect can be frustrating at first, but when you get the hang of it, can be a fun and creative process, especially with mods!

Rocketz

Here is the biggest city I made so far. I got up to around 120,000-130,000 range before calling it quits on this city. I ran into a lot of traffic problems that were basically an issue from how the city was first designed. I've experimented a with a few other towns but haven't got up to this big yet.

Need to get back into the game as I haven't played in a month or so.

Staf

I started over yesterday. Felt i needed a fresh start now once i've gotten a grip on the mechanics. This game is so addictive.

I also have to find out again how to get and keep a good amount of money. I'm at 3000 people now and I'm always at zero and only gain (right now) 2000-3000 a day. Do I just have to sim more? Cause I always play with the slowest speed.

I normally raised taxes

I am starting over after hitting negative 5 million cash. I'll go much slower this time to see if I can slowly build up what I missed last time

Pjsprojects

Help needed guys.

Xbox one version of the game is not showing the box that you click on to empty a landfill.
On Youtube all the vids show pc version that has this option.

So how do I empty landfill sites on Xbox one?

Nyx

In the beginning you can lower your budgets on water and electricity to save some cash. Just make sure there's enough budget for the amount of water/electricity needed, you can get away with much lower than 100% budget for quite some time iirc.

Anyone having issues with the game refusing to save properly? Can see the save exists but the load button is greyed out. Feeling like £35 down the drain right now...

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Help needed guys.

Xbox one version of the game is not showing the box that you click on to empty a landfill.
On Youtube all the vids show pc version that has this option.

So how do I empty landfill sites on Xbox one?

From what I remember, you use the Inspector tool (first one in the bottom menu bar) and select the building, then the button should be there in the popup, even if it's not full.

Top Bottom