• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

JlNX

Bluth54

2017 with Halo Wars 2, Forza 7 and an indie game.

Good job Phil.

That is laughably pathetic, especially considering they're launching a major console revision/upgrade later this year

It makes me seriously wonder if the Xbox division got a major budget cut or they plan on slowly winding down the division. I would expect a successful division to be putting out a lot more games.

For 2017? Doubt it.
Maybe they can grab a game that would be previously only PC/PS4 to get a xbox version, but can't think of many right now

I meant for 2018 and beyond naturally, the 2017 lineup is already well known. In the style of Quantum Break, Crackdown and such where it's a third party studio working on either a Microsoft IP or an entirely new one. If there aren't, then we can basically guess at the entire Microsoft output through to Holiday 2019, which will be "Another Halo, Two Forzas, Another Gears, and 2-4 small games".

343 and The Coalition seem to be 1.5 game studios - able to do a bit of remastering or helping out another studio on the side while they work on their big game. But unless there's been a hiring spree (which I don't think we've heard about), I can't see them having 2 large games in full development simultaneously. Turn 10 and Playground are always on the Forza train. Rare will by busy with the launch and postgame support for Sea of Thieves, although they probably can start developing something on the side while that's going on. Mojang is Mojang.

The only place I can really see surprises coming from then are third party contracts. Halo Wars 2 was a collaboration with Creative Assembly/Sega and 343 industries. Recore is a collaboration with Armature/Comcept. Crackdown 3 is a collaboration with like 12563463 different studios for various things apparently.

Looking at the current slate of known Microsoft games coming out, there are only two explanations - either they really are winding down first party support to the bare, profitable minimum, or there was a reorganization that led to several cancellations and a gap in their lineup before new projects were ready for announcement and shipping. I hope it's the latter, but have there been any leaks hinting towards this? Do we have any rumblings that there's stuff in the works we'll be excited about?

Screenshot_2017-08-17-02-08-43_kindlephoto-17511.jpg

If he cancels this then he would need to walk. This isn't getting cancelled.

I meant for 2018 and beyond naturally, the 2017 lineup is already well known. In the style of Quantum Break, Crackdown and such where it's a third party studio working on either a Microsoft IP or an entirely new one. If there aren't, then we can basically guess at the entire Microsoft output through to Holiday 2019, which will be "Another Halo, Two Forzas, Another Gears, and 2-4 small games".

343 and The Coalition seem to be 1.5 game studios - able to do a bit of remastering or helping out another studio on the side while they work on their big game. But unless there's been a hiring spree (which I don't think we've heard about), I can't see them having 2 large games in full development simultaneously. Turn 10 and Playground are always on the Forza train. Rare will by busy with the launch and postgame support for Sea of Thieves, although they probably can start developing something on the side while that's going on. Mojang is Mojang.

The only place I can really see surprises coming from then are third party contracts. Halo Wars 2 was a collaboration with Creative Assembly/Sega and 343 industries. Recore is a collaboration with Armature/Comcept. Crackdown 3 is a collaboration with like 12563463 different studios for various things apparently.

Looking at the current slate of known Microsoft games coming out, there are only two explanations - either they really are winding down first party support to the bare, profitable minimum, or there was a reorganization that led to several cancellations and a gap in their lineup before new projects were ready for announcement and shipping. I hope it's the latter, but have there been any leaks hinting towards this? Do we have any rumblings that there's stuff in the works we'll be excited about?
We probably can confirm a recore 2 basically Phil's says he loves the ip.

There are rumblings but that's it.

Internal studios we know what they're all doing although Rare, 343 and The Coalition have been hiring steadily for a while now (don't know if its expansion or replacements though). Playground are making a new IP (as well as FH4 no doubt) but we've been told its multiplatform.

Studio Gobo are definitely making an Xbox game but we don't know what it is and that's about it. The thing about their partnerships with external devs is that we don't normally see them coming and they're always a bit out if left field : Platinum, Crytek, Insomniac, Creative Assembly, Comcept etc.

Most people in the know say there's nothing much to be expected other than the usual suspects for the future but who really knows.

There are rumblings but that's it.

Internal studios we know what they're all doing although Rare, 343 and The Coalition have been hiring steadily for a while now (don't know if its expansion or replacements though). Playground are making a new IP (as well as FH4 no doubt) but we've been told its multiplatform.

Studio Gobo are definitely making an Xbox game but we don't know what it is and that's about it. The thing about their partnerships with external devs is that we don't normally see them coming and they're always a bit out if left field : Platinum, Crytek, Insomniac, Creative Assembly, Comcept etc.

Most people in the know say there's nothing much to be expected other than the usual suspects for the future but who really knows.

It would feel logical to grab Crytek again to make an XBX graphical showcase, but it also seems unlikely at the same time after Ryse. The game I'd be thirstiest for would be Quantum Break 2, and although Microsoft owns the IP, again I don't think they're willing to pump more money into the franchise.

Trago

I've been saying this for ages, but collaborations are the only things that we can count on for new and unexpected stuff from them. And that's doesn't have to be a bad thing really. The problem is that several of the titles they have published this generation haven't quite made the impact that they wanted. Ori and Forza Horizon did great, but Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Recore? Not so much.

MS isn't and wasn't ran like you think it is. For example not just shannon loftis reports to phil like many seem to think. Many studios have direct reporting studio heads that report to phil. Loftis deals mostly with 3rd party deals. Don was the boss you should be blaming his vision.
Yeah, the CVP's that head the first party studios report directly to Phil. I believe those are Bonnie at 343, Rod at Coalition, Matt Booty for Minecraft, Craig Duncan at Rare, and Dan Greenawalt at Turn 10.

Shannon runs publishing for games developed outside those studios, which includes the internal Studios creative such as Joe Staten, Ken Lobb, Adam Isgreen, etc.
So do we expect that there are third party contracts out there for games we don't know about yet? I mean I feel like there can't be any real surprises from their internal studios since we more or less know what they're all doing currently.
Yes, we know about at some of them including Studio Gobo announcing they are partnering with MSFT.
Also, why hasn't Microsoft fired whoever is in charge at Xbox yet?
Probably because "just start firing people" isn't a great long term strategy just because they have a lean lineup this year. As long as leadership has the people they feel confident in executing the vision long term in place right now, they are going to give them some leash (at least in part because a company with a diverse revenue portfolio and as deep as pockets as anyone can afford to not make short term reactionary moves).

MCD

Honestly this situation wouldn't have mattered if they could have secured third party Japanese games like NiOh, Yakuza, Nier, Dragon Quest...among others even if not on the first day.

At least they would have filled in between their barren 1st party support. GG MS.

Keinning

Honestly this situation wouldn't have mattered if they could have secured third party Japanese games like NiOh, Yakuza, Nier, Dragon Quest...among others even if not on the first day.

One of those games could be doable, one was hard, two were downright impossible

I enjoyed the first crackdown, only played about 5 hours of 2, whoever thought 3 was going to be a system seller is insane. From what they've shown of 3, it looks very "bland." Nothing about it stood out. For a game that was sort of placed to be the Xbox X'so premiere title, it didn't look amazing and they never even showed us multi-player.

This getting delayed I think is a good thing. Hopefully it allows them to set it apart. With agents of mayhem out this week, i hope they Polish the heck out of crackdown 3 and double down on making the multiplayer something unique and special. I'm rooting for the game to be good, take all the time you need on this one guys. Better to release a solid game then one filled with bugs and glitches.

JlNX

We only know 2018 with SOT, SOD, CD3 and tentative ORI 2, FH4 and H6. Anything beyond that we have no clue.

While recently there has actually been a hiring spree for all first party studios with Rare for almost the whole year and last, I don't think in the case of Coalition or 343 they will being doing 2 games at once unless it's a HW2 (spinoff) or remaster type game with a outside studio. In terms of Rare we know they have been working on something else for a while, It will probably go into full production after SOT releases as that already has a Live team being formed to handle the content required of a GAAS.

This has been the reality of how MS has been handling first party investment for awhile, which has been a big point of contention in this thread. In terms of how first party is set up all MS owned studios report to Phil, while another division headed by Shannon Loftis which is were all new first party investment appears to be coming from rather than an expansion in MS studios. Shannon Loftis's division MS global publishing handles working with all outside studios from Iron Galaxy (KI) to Undead Labs (SOD), basically we can't tell anything about what her division is doing and haven't known about any of those projects before they announce them due to their external nature. We know Shannon Loftis's division announced they are working with Studio Gobo which we couldn't of guessed, apparently it's a triple AAA UE4 project with some thinking it might be Fable reusing Fable Legends based on some info. But we do know that since that was announced Gobo has been hiring a lot very quickly.

In terms of Playground games a leak of a hiring for a MS first party UK based AAA Open world game that is similar in nature to HZD in terms of environment art, has been linked to PG in someways. With this lining up to PG's second new studio and open world none racing game project that we now know ruffly after the time of that hiring leak according to their website is a shooter. This project would go through Shannon's division, but Forza Horizon doesn't. So this is were how first party is arranged gets a bit harder to tell whats going on, projects like Halo wars 2, Forza Horizon or Rare Replay go through the First party studios themselves and not Shannon. So it would be hard to find out if Rare contracts out one of its IP with a outside developers for example, because the ways we usually find out are through job postings etc which makes it a lot harder when it seems most of the time it's an obscure studio were it's like picking a needle out of a haystack.

Looking at the current slate of known Microsoft games coming out, there are only two explanations - either they really are winding down first party support to the bare, profitable minimum, or there was a reorganisation that led to several cancellations and a gap in their lineup before new projects were ready for announcement and shipping. I hope it's the latter, but have there been any leaks hinting towards this? Do we have any rumblings that there's stuff in the works we'll be excited about?

We know there was a restructuring in terms of first party studios from Phil himself but wether that means we will see more investment due to that is an unknown until we see it. But in terms of other projects we know from Phil himself that before E3 this year he signed 3 different first party projects, we don't know if these are first party studio based or more than likely Shannon's division. We also don't know if there was more before this or not as he was just giving an example to show that they are investing in first party, while also saying they don't want to show things of early even tho they could with those games being examples. Some people think we may see AOE4 announced at Gamescom based on wording, but thats an unknown we will find out on 21st. AOE remastered is Shannon's division as likely would be an AOE4 unless Decisive games a first party studio they open in 2015 is still around, as they were created to fill the gap ensemble left and take up AOE and RON which had been purchased for a strategy focus Phil talked about. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Stiler

With the super drought of 1st party games I seriously question why they shuttered Lionhead. I mean seriously, with the lack of first party games this year a new Fable or something would have really helped, especially with the launch of the new one later this year.

They didn't have many big first party games in the first place, Halo, Gears, Fable were (IIRC) the top 3.

This year I literally have not touched my xbox because I play most third party games on pc, there's just been nothing at all to play on it.

Meanwhile ps4 has had Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Horizons, etc.

Really hope they can do something about the drastic lack of games for the system next year or so.

Did anything else ever come out of that MS job posting (or whatever it was) that mentioned an open world game in the vein of Horizon? I wonder if that's Studio Gobo's game.

lostcauz

At least they would have filled in between their barren 1st party support. GG MS.

But is there any point in having those titles as exclusives, aside from MS being able to brag they have exclusives. They would've sold horrifically and the Xbox is the wrong platform for them.

I don't know why but the drought of first party output this yeae just hasn't bothered me. I've been playing a lot of multiplatform games. I think in the last year I've played unravel, inside, limbo, little nightmares, and just recently rime. I get that they're available on other systems, but right now I have an xbox one so that's what I'm playing them on. But I also played ori and the blind forest as well as rare replays banko kazooie 1 and 2.I downloades D4 recently too but still need to play through it. Looking forward to 2018. If I can wait a whole generation for breath of the wild, when it was the main reason I got a wii u, I think I can handle the lack of 1st party output from MS for a little bit too.

MCD

But is there any point in having those titles as exclusives, aside from MS being able to brag they have exclusives. They would've sold horrifically and the Xbox is the wrong platform for them.

Not exclusives no. Just an Xbox release even after a year after PS4/PC/Switch.

Some titles like Kingdom Hearts Collection should have been on Xbox to help with KH3 but nope. Even Spencer is begging Square on twitter hahahaha.

I really wonder what are the odds Microsoft will try to acquire Bluehole Studio

My first response to that line of thought would be "why?"

First off, Bluehole is not just a studio. It's a publisher. They're not just Battlegrounds, they also make Tera, etc. MMOs.

Secondly, if we trace the lineage of PUBG's success, it's easily creditable to one individual, who is the director/designer, who had his hands all over practically every other Battle Royale successes in H1Z1 or the original ARMA mods.

The smarter move would be for any of the big publishers to counter-offer Brendan Greene a creative/game director offer at any AAA studio and ask him to basically make the "DOTA2" of Battle Royale games.

JlNX

Did anything else ever come out of that MS job posting (or whatever it was) that mentioned an open world game in the vein of Horizon? I wonder if that's Studio Gobo's game.

So that job posting was a first party based ad going through a contracted external hiring team that MS and PG use and has been tentatively linked to Playground (FH3.) In terms of Gobo it wouldn't be them as a third party studio that also hires through a different third party hiring team with the studio as a whole not being completely dedicated to the Xbox project. We know that Gobo would be working on an action adventure game and wouldn't be big enough to create a open world scale game similar to PG or have the experience.

I don't think he meant exclusive as those games didn't have deals with Sony as exclusives aside from Nioh, and with Nioh I don't think there is a exclusivity deal but a publishing deal. I think It's more about the fact these games are third party games skipping Xbox giving Sony's platform free exclusives, majority of which has made up the great first half of the year they have had. If these games had of came out on Xbox then the difference between Xbox and Playstation first party output this year would be very similar, with it also avoiding Xbox gathering that negativity in comparison. I think it's smart for the Xbox team to go after these teams and ensure these games release on the platform even at a cost to them.

So that job posting was a first party based ad going through a contracted external hiring team that MS and PG use and has been tentatively linked to Playground (FH3.) In terms of Gobo it wouldn't be them as a third party studio that also hires through a different third party hiring team with the studio as a whole not being completely dedicated to the Xbox project. We know that Gobo would be working on an action adventure game and wouldn't be big enough to create a open world scale game similar to PG or have the experience.

I don't think he meant exclusive as those games didn't have deals with Sony as exclusives aside from Nioh, and with Nioh I don't think there is a exclusivity deal but a publishing deal. I think It's more about the fact these games are third party games skipping Xbox giving Sony's platform free exclusives, majority of which has made up the great first half of the year they have had. If these games had of came out on Xbox then the difference between Xbox and Playstation first party output this year would be very similar, with it also avoiding Xbox gathering that negativity in comparison. I think it's smart for the Xbox team to go after these teams and ensure these games release on the platform even at a cost to them.
Sony has/will have 6 first party titles releasing this year. The Japanese titles added fuel to the fire.

The smarter move would be for any of the big publishers to counter-offer Brendan Greene a creative/game director offer at any AAA studio and ask him to basically make the "DOTA2" of Battle Royale games.

If they did attempt it, it would be in the Minecraft sense of taking over this already huge thing and trying to make it huger. I don't think Microsoft is wanting to hire the same guy and hope that there will be another breakout commercial hit - they'd prefer the certainty of acquiring an already successfful thing and raking in revenue over a period of years. But I don't think PUBG has the makings of a new Minecraft, despite it's current enormous success, and I don't think the studio/publisher would be for sale in the same way Mojang was, as you say.

Yeah, the CVP's that head the first party studios report directly to Phil. I believe those are Bonnie at 343, Rod at Coalition, Matt Booty for Minecraft, Craig Duncan at Rare, and Dan Greenawalt at Turn 10.

Shannon runs publishing for games developed outside those studios, which includes the internal Studios creative such as Joe Staten, Ken Lobb, Adam Isgreen, etc.

That's only because they restructured things once Phil Spencer took over as head of Xbox in early 2014 though. They merged the head of Xbox and head of Microsoft Studios jobs into one job, brought the European studios into the main fold (whereas they used to be managed separately) and offloaded a lot of responsibilities to Shannon Loftis.

So trying to put all the blame on Don Mattrick, like Yearsoflurking appears to be trying to do, is silly. Mattrick obviously shares some of the blame but when he was head of Xbox, almost all of those studios (except for Rare, who reported to Phil Harrison) were reporting to Phil Spencer.

Sony has/will have 6 first party titles releasing this year. The Japanese titles added fuel to the fire.

Only 6? I count a lot more than that. They have 8 scheduled for the remainder of this year alone.

But yes, the narrative that Microsoft releases just as many games as Sony is absolute rubbish. Sony has/will release more first party games in August/September (5) than Microsoft's got this entire year (4).

That's only because they restructured things once Phil Spencer took over as head of Xbox in early 2014 though. They merged the head of Xbox and head of Microsoft Studios jobs into one job, brought the European studios into the main fold (whereas they used to be managed separately) and offloaded a lot of responsibilities to Shannon Loftis.

So trying to put all the blame on Don Mattrick, like Yearsoflurking appears to be trying to do, is silly. Mattrick obviously shares some of the blame but when he was head of Xbox, almost all of those studios (except for Rare, who reported to Phil Harrison) were reporting to Phil Spencer.

Yeah, you're right it didn't used to be organized that way.

In general, blaming one person for failure at a large company like MSFT (or crediting a single person for success) is just a silly notion. Ultimately leadership is responsible, and they face the music if things don't go well, but there's so many moving parts to all decisions made at a place like Xbox and Microsoft as a whole. (Not defending Mattrick here, just a general observation)

Wedzi

Banned
My first response to that line of thought would be "why?"

First off, Bluehole is not just a studio. It's a publisher. They're not just Battlegrounds, they also make Tera, etc. MMOs.

Secondly, if we trace the lineage of PUBG's success, it's easily creditable to one individual, who is the director/designer, who had his hands all over practically every other Battle Royale successes in H1Z1 or the original ARMA mods.

MS would mostly just be interested in the brand of Battlegrounds than anything else given it's success. If it takes off on Xbox they could see a lot of value it in. Maybe I'm just looking too much into Xbox execs fawning over the game. Also I've completely run out of ideas for how MS would realistically want to bolster their first party offerings.

It would be really smart for Ubisoft to offer Brendan Greene a boat load of money to basically make a DOTA 2 Battle Royal under the Tom Clancy brand. Idk it just seems like a really good fit.

You'll be ashamed of your words and deeds when the game comes out in Spring/Summer, turns out to be great, and sells well.

It might turn out to be a good game but there is no chance that this game will sell well. None. Don't be surprised if this barely squeaks into the top 10 the month it launches.

Yeah, you're right it didn't used to be organized that way.

In general, blaming one person for failure at a large company like MSFT (or crediting a single person for success) is just a silly notion. Ultimately leadership is responsible, and the face the music if things don't go well, but there's so many moving parts to all decisions made at a place like Xbox and Microsoft as a whole. (Not defending Mattrick here, just a general observation)

Agreed.

Theorry

So do we expect that there are third party contracts out there for games we don't know about yet? I mean I feel like there can't be any real surprises from their internal studios since we more or less know what they're all doing currently.

Phil said they recently signed some stuff. But was to early to show.

I really wonder what are the odds Microsoft will try to acquire Bluehole Studio

Even if they wanted to, I doubt they could outbid Tencent who have also made investments in the studio recently.

Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Wipeout Omega Collection
Parappa HD
Matterfall
Everybody's Golf
GT Sport
Uncharted: TLL
Knack 2
Starblood Arena
Locoroco and Patapon I think? (not really paid attention to these two)
Nioh sort of counts (published by Sony outside of Japan, but not first-party)

Probably some other games I've forgotten. This is not an exhaustive list.

FelipeMGM

On Microsoft Gamescon presence, GIndusty.biz editor Christopher Dring wrote a piece about how important this show can and should be for them, and in the middle there he mentions this:

Xbox has a series of events taking place during the week, alongside a hefty live-stream presentation on the Sunday (I'm reliably told it will be a long one, and feature a few promising announcements). Microsoft appear acutely aware of how important the next few days will be in building hype for its new machine, particularly in Europe.

Phil did say they were doing different things this year too, so this could be something cool after all

wapplew

On Microsoft Gamescon presence, GIndusty.biz editor Christopher Dring wrote a piece about how important this show can and should be for them, and in the middle there he mentions this:

Phil did say they were doing different too, so this could be something cool after all

They are confidant enough to put the bad news few days before the event, I expect something big that make people forget about Crackdown 3 delay.

Phil did say they were doing different too, so this could be something cool after all

I'm glad it specifically mentions Xbox and not PC. Should mean the promising announcements are all for Xbox. Question remains if it's game related or more like service related or hardware.

sam12

Phil did say they were doing different things this year too, so this could be something cool after all

Lol Phil the politician says a lot of things. People still trust this liar?

Top Bottom