• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masato Kato Talks End of Chrono Trilogy, Chrono Break

So they are alive! I think it was a fan theory that they were still alive, but it is nice to have confirmation. Lucca in particular I'm pretty sure was killed by Lynx in Cross. Too bad it will never be...

Nah he was talking about development of chrono cross

The chrono trigger kids are still dead

Huh? Nah, he's talking about a hypothetical third Chrono game. The CT trio is essentially dead in Chrono Cross but the idea was that Kid and other characters after the end of Chrono Cross would then go rescue the CT trio, some time, somewhere.

The Fall of Guardia in 1,005 A.D. and Lynx and Harle's raid on Lucca's Orphanage would most likely have been events featured in that third game.

Basically:

Chrono Trigger: Schala "dies", but Crono and co. save Belthasar
Chrono Cross: Belthasar saves Schala, but Crono and co. die
Chrono Reflect: Schala saves Crono and co.

Huh? Nah, he's talking about a hypothetical third Chrono game. The CT trio is essentially dead in Chrono Cross but the idea was that Kid and other characters after the end of Chrono Cross would then go rescue the CT trio, some time, somewhere.

The Fall of Guardia in 1,005 A.D. and Lynx and Harle's raid on Lucca's Orphanage would most likely have been events featured in that third game.
Oh of course, it just dawned on me they could still be dead in Cross, it's a time traveling game after all!

My thoughts are I don't want Kato anywhere near a Chrono game ever again.

Round up Sakaguchi, Kitase, Tokita, Horii, Mitsuda & Toriyama and then we're talking.

We have enough toriyama with DQ. Chrono Cross' art direction and character design is far superior to trigger's, more of that please.

And I was just inquiring what Kato was doing these days.

Fun Fact: in addition to writing credits for Chrono and Xenogears, Kato is also responsible for much of Tifa's dialog in Final Fantasy VII. Being a late addition to the planned story, Tifa was promoted from a recurring NPC to a major character who would end up being the main heroine of the game, and Kato was the one who worked on her interactions with Cloud and the other characters.

Really hoping he's going to have a role in the Remake, and...Chrono 3, if it ever happens.
God bless this man.

Insert Tifa Ball crush PNG here.

I wouldn't mind Kato being brought back for a new Chrono game, if there ever was one.

I do, however, think he probably should be put on a more tighter leash. I appreciate his contributions for Trigger, for stuff like the Kingdom of Zeal which was brilliant, but I think he ultimately got too much control with Cross, where he became the director and sole writer. I think he has interesting ideas but he needs an editor to make it work in a cohesive manner, to prevent it from being a jumpled mess like CC's story.

Seems to me he's better when doing bits and pieces of the story, like how he wrote the KOZ on his own, and Tifa's dialogue in FF7 as mentioned above, rather than being in full control of the entire project like with Cross.

zenspider

I know I'm going to get jumped, but if Chrono Break is going to be a an "all-stars" of Trigger and Cross, or even an attempt to reconcile those games, I'm ok with it staying a rumor.

I find it funny with Kato's idea for a third Chrono game. I once had an idea I wrote down after I played the first Chrono game, and it was basically about the cast of CT disappearing from the world because "man wasn't meant to commit crimes against time" and they were "collected" by Zeitgeist, a collector of displaced objects in time and timelines and a sorta "watcher of timestreams". It has a floating mansion outside of time/space where the characters are trapped within (Dalton was also there), with many floors and doors that open to specific discarded eras that are in Zeitgeist's collection. There is also a NEW threat that Zeitgeist sealed away in the depths of his mansion's basement vault that is trying to find a way out and back into the timestream (which Chrono and co are also trying to do, but are unaware of this dark force following them). The beginning of my story was that all the heroes wake up in a room together... lol!

Mega Man 9, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Blaster Master Zero, Sonic Mania, etc.

I honestly don't see why we can't get a Chrono Trigger callback game in the form of Chrono Break. The timing is basically perfect right now.

I wouldn't mind a new Chrono game in the SNES+ style. Sonic Mania hit the nail on the head with a Genesis+ style ("+ style", of course meaning it takes most cues from the original console graphics, but does some things that those specific consoles just couldn't do; another example would be Shovel Knight being an NES+ style game). Maybe it is time to see more games like these. I know there are some people that hate this sorta thing, but hey, they got their brand new, shiny "cutting edge graphics games" that are still popular and embraced by the mainstream. Let US have this.

They could even use dq11 assets, to cut development time i wouldnt even complain.

There is a character in Dragon Quest XI that looks REMARKABLY like a Kid, but in Toriyama's style. The main hero in Dragon Quest VIII looks like Serge in Toriyama's style.
240px-DQVIII_Hero_artwork.png

I know I'm going to get jumped, but if Chrono Break is going to be a an "all-stars" of Trigger and Cross, or even an attempt to reconcile those games, I'm ok with it staying a rumor.

I mean, I doubt it was going to be some Dissidia shit. Chrono Cross basically lets you play as Schala but look how different she was compared to the first game. I'm sure some of these mentioned returning characters would be there in disguise and none of them would be the main protagonist.

Also, it's not a "rumor". It's a statement straight out of the series' scenario writer's mouth.

Thanks a lot for posting this! :)

Sad we'll likely never get the final chapter.. if there even was one to begin with.

I actually even like the sound of Reflect even more than Break.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Native Spanish speaker here, the context of the translation was a little bit off in this part:

As for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, I wanted to imagine an episode that would conclude a trilogy and take place shortly after the events of the first game. I thought of the following lead: Kid and the others have to go help Crono, Marle and Lucca, who were then in great dangers. In the end, it was some sort of "all-star"! (Laughs) That said, I have the following principle: the past is the past, and it should be left behind. You have to let go. To lay new foundations

He is saying that he would have liked to make a third game and that it would have an all star cast but that the chance slipped by and hes the kind of guy that wants to look forward and not dwell on projects that could have been.

Native Spanish speaker here, the context of the translation was a little bit off.

He is saying that he would have liked to make a third game and that it would have an all star cast but that the chance slipped by and hes the kind of guy that wants to look forward and not dwell on projects that could have been.

That's my impression as well, maybe I didn't word it well enough.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
That's my impression as well, maybe I didn't word it well enough.

Initially it read to me that it was his CC idea, and that CC was about rescuing Crono but he decided that he preferred His story to be about moving forward, so they stayed dead

I didn't know Kato just released a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger for mobile called Another Eden (Japan only). Anyone play it? How is it?

Initially it read to me that it was his CC idea, and that CC was about rescuing Crono but he decided that he preferred His story to be about moving forward, so they stayed dead

I guess I can see how it could be misread. He does start his paragraph by talking about an episode that would end the trilogy(*) though, so the context is that it's a game after Chrono Cross.

(*Some people consider Radical Dreamers the "second" Chrono game, which would make Chrono Cross the third game, but technically Chrono Cross is an expanded remake/reimagining of RD, so officially CC is the second game while RD is just an unfinished version of it.)

I know he was the main scenario writer for Antiquity, the weakest section of the game imo.

I don't know that he wrote any of the other scenarios, let me know if he did.

I wouldn't agree that it's the weakest section, but it is kind of uneven. There are parts of it that are probably my favorite in the game, and there are a few that I could sort of do without.

I think he's laughing at the fact that Kato basically IS Chrono as far as scenario goes. He didn't just do a section. He did most of it, and then rounded out a trilogy. Chrono is Kato's child more than any one else's.

bionic77

I really hated Cross.

Gameplay was crap. The story was an abomination that killed off the characters from one of my favorite games of all time.

The graphics were good and music was great but not enough to salvage it. It was a really good RPG but a total disappointment to my favorite RPG of all time.

I would rather they leave it dead and start a new epic 2D RPG with gameplay and style similar to the OG ChronoTrigger.

Blue hair, my bad.

Misremembered those sprites. Kid being blond made 0 sense though.

Eh, it made more sense than Krelian being blond in Xenogears' present era.

I think we can safely infer that Lavos altered Schala's genetics, considering he was physically merging with her.

Nakadai30

I really hated Cross.

Gameplay was crap. The story was an abomination that killed off the characters from one of my favorite games of all time.

The graphics were good and music was great but not enough to salvage it. It was a really good RPG but a total disappointment to my favorite RPG of all time.

I would rather they leave it dead and start a new epic 2D RPG with gameplay and style similar to the OG ChronoTrigger.

Yep.

DJIzana

It's good to see the words Chrono Trigger in 2017-

I think Chrono Trigger would sell really well,
if they remake using the FFXV engine.

Turn based or full action I wouldn't care , is just that sense that I want to replay it
but not actually play the same thing , you feel me?

Look, I like FFXV but please, no. Not the Luminous engine. That was (supposedly) riddled with problems. UE4 and just even reusing textures/assets from DQXI, I think, as a previous poster said, would be the best route to go.

I'd personally take a remake, or a sequel to either Trigger or Cross (my preference would be a Cross sequel though... not often we game an amazing setting / OST like in that world... just... have better characters :p)

TrounceX

I think SE should contract Mitsuda to make a new Chrono OST... except there's no actual game, and they just release the soundtrack instead.

Psxphile

Chrono Reflect, huh...

I find it funny with Kato's idea for a third Chrono game. I once had an idea I wrote down after I played the first Chrono game, and it was basically about the cast of CT disappearing from the world because "man wasn't meant to commit crimes against time" and they were "collected" by Zeitgeist, a collector of displaced objects in time and timelines and a sorta "watcher of timestreams". It has a floating mansion outside of time/space where the characters are trapped within (Dalton was also there), with many floors and doors that open to specific discarded eras that are in Zeitgeist's collection. There is also a NEW threat that Zeitgeist sealed away in the depths of his mansion's basement vault that is trying to find a way out and back into the timestream (which Chrono and co are also trying to do, but are unaware of this dark force following them). The beginning of my story was that all the heroes wake up in a room together... lol!
y'know there's a game in the Legend of Heroes series that's kind of like this

I dream of a 2D HD sprite based Chrono Break game for modern home consoles/PC. It'll never happen though.

Would people accept a Sonic Mania effort as a real Chrono Trigger sequel? The series hasn't fallen like Sonic had, but it also hasn't gotten a new title in almost 18 years, not counting ports.

wiibomb

yup, checking the translation there are some differences, but they are minimal.

For example, this part: "when I reached the last step of the plot, I started feeling some doubt: was the epilogue I was unfolding the right one?"

could be more accurately translated as: "and when I was at the last stage, the doubt came about how to finish the story"

but then again, its not that much and doesn't change the idea of chrono break

And I was just inquiring what Kato was doing these days.

Fun Fact: in addition to writing credits for Chrono and Xenogears, Kato is also responsible for much of Tifa's dialog in Final Fantasy VII. Being a late addition to the planned story, Tifa was promoted from a recurring NPC to a major character who would end up being the main heroine of the game, and Kato was the one who worked on her interactions with Cloud and the other characters.

Really hoping he's going to have a role in the Remake, and...Chrono 3, if it ever happens.

giphy.gif

Maou

You do know Kato was involved with the first game and was responsible for the most popular parts of it both storywise and battle-systemwise, right?

I think he's laughing at the fact that Kato basically IS Chrono as far as scenario goes. He didn't just do a section. He did most of it, and then rounded out a trilogy. Chrono is Kato's child more than any one else's.
Sort of. He was heavily directed by Horii and to a lesser extent by Sakaguchi, who both clearly contained some of his excesses that would become very evident in Chrono Cross and Xenogears, e.g. expositional walls of text and humorless psychobabble.

The critique of 12,000 BC, which Kato had the freest hand in writing, is a fair one. While, like all Kato's work, it's interesting and complicated, it could also easily be excised from the game and have little to no impact on the overall story flow and feel of the game. Its atmosphere is certainly an outlier in the game. I still enjoy the sequence, even if it offers an uncomfortable sign of the joyless, dismal direction to follow in subsequent games when he longer had the Dream Team as his minders.

I am unaware of any work by Kato on the battle sytem for Chrono Trigger.

Sort of. He was heavily directed by Horii and to a lesser extent by Sakaguchi, who both clearly contained some of his excesses that would become very evident in Chrono Cross and Xenogears, e.g. expositional walls of text and humorless psychobabble.

The critique of 12,000 BC, which Kato had the freest hand in writing, is a fair one. While, like all Kato's work, it's interesting and complicated, it could also easily be excised from the game and have little to no impact on the overall story flow and feel of the game. Its atmosphere is certainly an outlier in the game. I still enjoy the sequence, even if it offers an uncomfortable sign of the joyless, dismal direction to follow in subsequent games when he longer had the Dream Team as his minders.

Who else is more involved in the series than Kato? He wrote most of Trigger (even if directors directed and kept him in check), Radical Dreamers, then wrote/directed Cross. Then he directed the ports. There's no one else who is near as heavily involved. It's more his thing than any one other person's. That said, he should have someone like Horii keeping him in check.

I think SE should contract Mitsuda to make a new Chrono OST... except there's no actual game, and they just release the soundtrack instead.

I like to think that Kirite is based on ideas that Kato and Mitsuda would otherwise have put into a third Chrono game... The setup of Kirite reminds me of Chrono Cross:

"The Five Seasons of Kirite" by Masato Kato set inside a world of magic and fantasy, tells the story of a boy by the name Kirite, a girl by the name Kotonoha and a darkness by the name Orochi. When those three would meet, the world would silently start to go mad.

Sadly the full story was only published in Japanese and no one has ever translated it. The album is great though.

yup, checking the translation there are some differences, but they are minimal.

For example, this part: "when I reached the last step of the plot, I started feeling some doubt: was the epilogue I was unfolding the right one?"

could be more accurately translated as: "and when I was at the last stage, the doubt came about how to finish the story"

but then again, its not that much and doesn't change the idea of chrono break

Thanks for checking! :) (Raging Spaniard too)

No one has ever been able to produce the screenshot that says this.

Yup, thanks for saying it! As a huge fan of the series I dislike this "hair dye" urban legend that keeps popping up from time to time. I don't think it's true since Magus probably wouldn't care about dying his hair in 600 A.D. and especially in Radical Dreamers (where he was literally going out of his way to hide his identity) and yet he still had blue hair.

Just give me a The Adventures of Frog spinoff.

What about his human form that we see in some of the endings though. I would have loved to be able to unlock human Glenn in New Game+ or a spinoff something. He kinda looks like Magus, which is ironic.

IvY7D3O.png

Actually part of the responsibility for the walls of text in Xenogears lie in the director/main writer Tetsuya Takahashi. These kinds of endgame text dumps in both Xenogears and Chrono Cross were due to a rule that Hironobu Sakaguchi enforced that all Square games had to be developed in two years max.

I'm surprised someone would call Kato's game humorless. Xenogears and Chrono Cross have a lot of weird, quirky humor that's really different from the more dramatical Final Fantasy games. Also if you look at the Xenosaga games, they're basically Xenogears without the humor and they feel really cold and heartless compared to it, IMO.

For the battle system of Chrono Trigger, Kato designed (some of?) the combination attacks.

Who else is more involved in the series than Kato? He wrote most of Trigger (even if directors directed and kept him in check), Radical Dreamers, then wrote/directed Cross. Then he directed the ports. There's no one else who is near as heavily involved. It's more his thing than any one other person's. That said, he should have someone like Horii keeping him in check.

An editor is fine, everyone needs an editor IMO. I'm not sure Horii is the right person though. He literally doesn't care about the Chrono series, and he was responsible for some of the more outdated ideas in Chrono Trigger, like the idea that the protagonist should be silent. Many at Square wanted Crono to speak but Horii eventually had his way, and Chrono Cross ironically kept Serge silent even though he had a wonderful and hilarious personality in Radical Dreamers.

SOLDIER

When was the last time there was a crossover or spin-off that had Aerith but not Tifa? Meanwhile, games like Dissidia and World of Final Fantasy has Tifa as an FFVII rep but doesn't feature Aerith at all.

It's been obvious for a while now who FFVII's leading lady is. ;)

When was the last time there was a crossover or spin-off that had Aerith but not Tifa? Meanwhile, games like Dissidia and World of Final Fantasy has Tifa as an FFVII rep but doesn't feature Aerith at all.

It's been obvious for a while now who FFVII's leading lady is. ;)

I hope Jessie is the new leading lady in Episode Midgar

Rarius

The story of Cross is such a mess, and the original crew are killed off in the most nonsensical way possible.

The story of Cross is such a mess, and the original crew are killed off in the most nonsensical way possible.

They're not invincible. Crono is literally killed off in CT itself in the cheapest way possible, did you forget that? But we got to revive him -- which is exactly what we could have been able to do again in a third Chrono game according to the interview I posted.

Ralemont

not me
Eh, one of the reasons I like Cross so much is how poignant the main story is, especially in regards to the Trigger cast. I don't really want to save Lucca if it means erasing the Kid/Serge orphanage scene.

If we're saving anyone, it should be

image.php

This is why I wouldn't want a sequel to Cross or Trigger without Kato's involvement. Sadly with him only doing the occasional contract work at Square, I don't see that happening.

You weren't paying much attention if you thought this was the case. The original cast all had their roles to play in Cross, some more obvious than others.

Eh, one of the reasons I like Cross so much is how poignant the main story is, especially in regards to the Trigger cast. I don't really want to save Lucca if it means erasing the Kid/Serge orphanage scene.

If we're saving anyone, it should be

image.php

Ah, Harle, one of the victims of Sakaguchi's rule that all PS1 projects should be completed in less than two years. Kato actually planned to have an actual send-off FMV with her in Chronopolis, but it was cut short due to time constraints.

Sketch from Kato's Facebook:
lT4m0fX.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure saving Lucca would mean erasing the orphanage scene. Presumably the new cast would be careful in making sure they don't completely mess up the events of CT and CC. Plus we know for a fact that the Crono/Marle duo and Lucca don't need rescuing at the same point in time (the Fall of Guardia for the former, and the orphanage attack for the latter), so who knows what sorts of time-hopping the new cast would have done.

BluWacky

I still enjoy the sequence, even if it offers an uncomfortable sign of the joyless, dismal direction to follow in subsequent games when he longer had the Dream Team as his minders.

Chrono Cross has a completely bonkers set of party members including a giant pink dog, a turnip with a face and a talking totem pole; a major part of the game revolves around staging a rock concert to help clear an island of monsters. I don't think you can really criticise Chrono Cross for being any more joyless than Chrono Trigger, which features a bleak and barren post-apocalyptic future inhabited by killer androids, the entire Zeal plotline being based in both class warfare and the horrible suffering of its royal family, and the party deliberately causing mass extinction.\

While I am obviously exaggerating for dramatic effect, Chrono Cross's story is mostly looked down on for the simple fact that it involves the deaths of Chrono, Marle and Lucca. Yes, it's sad, and preferably avoidable, but that doesn't negate the many other parts of it which are equal to the original.

Also Xenogears has ChuChu, all that crap about MEN! OF THE SEA!, and one of my favourite romantic plotlines of any JRPG; yes, it also has a lot of portentous Eva-inflected drama, but we're not talking Soulsborne here.

Top Bottom