• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

Oregano

To be less vague, I have leaked or confirmed leaks before. Also as far as I know I'm 100% accurate still. Give or take a few games that haven't been announced and/or officially cancelled yet. I try to be pretty open about what I know while at the same time protecting my sources. Prior to the Switch release I let out quite a lot of info that most people claimed was bullshit (no Netflix or 3rd party apps, the amount of RAM, etc) also I mentioned a Rockstar game was coming long long ago and again people cried foul, and when LA Noir leaked I confirmed that was the game I had also heard was coming. Now what, 2 days ago I was proven to be correct once again with that one. Not to toot my own horn but 🎺🎺...
sorry if I sound cocky I'm just having fun... all I do is repeat and share info I hear from my sources, it's nothing to be proud of or cocky about lol. Just passing on info from time to time

You also said Owlboy would come to Switch before PS4/XBO.

SalvaPot

I'll love Smash 4 in the system but I do feel like the system is too healthy, Nintendo can't possibly supply the demand at least until 2018. And next year we have Pokémon.

If we get a Smash 4 port it will probably release in the same month as Mario Kart 8DX.

sinonobu

Banned
I still believe that Smash is launch title for the online service but don't think it'll be featured in this direct.

I think it will be revealed at NWC on October.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Zelda BotW
1-2 Switch
MK8D
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Pokken/FE Warriors
MariO
Xenoblade 2

Everyone getting a Switch the next couple months will pick up some of these games with the purchase...there is no need for Smash. with the current demand and the first party offerings already provided.

Smash. Bros. Switch will be a big release - they wont just drop it on the market like Pokken. I can see it take the spot that MK8D had this year in 2018.

Mario Maker Switch was always a FallHoliday 2018 release for me. Dont see it this year after they had the WiiU and 3DS release in the last two years already.

Aters

I suppose Nintendo would like to get a proper 2D Mario out first before Mario Maker. Since the next 2D Mario is most likely a 2018 holiday release, we won't see Mario Maker before 2019.

Mr Swine

Banned
I suppose Nintendo would like to get a proper 2D Mario out first before Mario Maker. Since the next 2D Mario is most likely a 2018 holiday release, we won't see Mario Maker before 2019.

I would rather have Super Mario Maker 2 with a beefy single player and expanded building tools and tileset

Probabrly a dumb question.

But if Smash Switch was a port of Smash Wii U, wouldn't it be easier to use the 3rd party characters again then if it was a new entry? (Don't know exactly how it works. Sorry).

Fiendcode

But if Smash Switch was a port of Smash Wii U, wouldn't it be easier to use the 3rd party characters again then if it was a new entry? (Don't know exactly how it works. Sorry).
Either way they're likely renegotiating with 3rd parties. Shouldn't really be more or less difficult on that end.

Eolz

Yes for the ones already in the vanilla version, probably not for the DLC characters, since putting them in a complete version would remove any percentage of the DLC sales they could have gotten before. It would need a new deal in both cases for those ones.

If we're gonna get a Wii U port, then it should be Tropical Freeze IMO. Mario Maker and Smash might not have fulfilled their potential, but they still sold very well and have little brothers on the 3DS that have also sold very well. Tropical Freeze is a game with relatively high sales potential that absolutely cratered. It's an amazing, gorgeous game and I don't see a sequel coming out any time soon, so it's the perfect candidate for a port. Nintendo should wait until the inevitable new entries for Mario Maker and Smash.

If we're gonna get a Wii U port, then it should be Tropical Freeze IMO. Mario Maker and Smash might not have fulfilled their potential, but they still sold very well and have little brothers on the 3DS that have also sold very well. Tropical Freeze is a game with relatively high sales potential that absolutely cratered. It's an amazing, gorgeous game and I don't see a sequel coming out any time soon, so it's the perfect candidate for a port. Nintendo should wait until the inevitable new entries for Mario Maker and Smash.

I'm hoping a Tropical Freeze port would also include DKCR. Both entries on a single cartridge would be so great.

Probably wouldn't happen though, as TF is a pretty meaty experience on its own.

I wouldn't know exactly either but I think we can look at Snake being dropped and put it squarely down to Konami being Konami. It might need a new deal or whatever but I don't see Square-Enix, Capcom, Sega doing a Konami in this instance. If Nintendo could broker a deal when the glamorous version was on Wii U then it should be straightforward for the much more popular Switch.

Smash. Bros. Switch will be a big release - they wont just drop it on the market like Pokken. I can see it take the spot that MK8D had this year in 2018.

Yes, possible.

Yoshi, Pikmin, Smash, Kirby would be enough to cover the first half of the year, or replace Pikmin with something else if you prefer.

Nibel

Even with Nintendo wanting to focus more on third parties for this direct I can see a 'big' announcement from them, being port or not. Mario Maker and Tropical Freeze match these criteria, Smash Bros. is less likely but not impossible.

Agreed, they always have *something* up their sleeves.

Smash Bros seems too important to just announce and release so quickly, especially since their calendar seems to be more or less filled for this year in terms of major releases

MatrixMan.EXE already confirmed this way before your post Sammy
jo0bftgd2sy7.png

(Also, my guess is we won't hear jackshit about this until after MHW launching)

If we have a Direct next week I expect to see atleast Yoshi Switch or Kirby Switch. I also expect the Zelda holiday DLC release date and the announcement of the Kirby 3DS holiday game.

There's already a lot of offering for the Smash audience (like cw_sasuke pointed out), so no need for that right now. Nintendo needs to focus on expanding the audience now by showing a wide variety of titles. They already have FIFA, NBA and WWE for sports fans (hopefully the sports will be there too in 2018), they have typical Japanese games like DBXV2 and their own Xenoblade 2, and with games like Skyrim, Payday 2 and L.A. Noire later this year, they try to get attention from core PS/Xbox players. It's all about expanding the audience for Switch and showing everyone that the system has more to offer than just games for the core Nintendo audience. I hope (and think) that this Direct will convince a lot of people into buying a Switch by showing a lot of games that appeal to wide variety of people, covering a wide variety of genres.

Yeah Nintendo have a lot to announce there's no way they don't have a Direct next month or so. Xenoblade 2 date, Zelda final DLC, USun/UMoon, potential updates to ARMS & Splatoon 2, Skyrim/Rocket League release dates, Final Fire Emblem Warriors characters, one final Odyssey trailer and Persona 5 definitive edition announcement.

I'm only joking on that last one. Maybe.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If we have a Direct next week I expect to see atleast Yoshi Switch or Kirby Switch. I also expect the Zelda holiday DLC release date and the announcement of the Kirby 3DS holiday game.
If these are all you expect your expectations are very low.

There are multiple sources that have confirmed Wednesday's direct, there isn't if anymore.

brutaka3

Neo Member
I don't expect (or want) a Smash port, the new entry will probably be out in 2018/2019.

For this supposed Direct, I think that Zelda DLC, Kirby Yoshi, maybe a surprise first party and some 3rd party ports is the best we can expect. Also release dates for XB2, Rocket League and Skyrim.

We always get atleast one new game surprise in a worldwide direct. I'm hoping for Pikmin 4! I'll take Animal Crossing even though I'm not an AC fan I think they deserve a new game announcement by now.

sinonobu

Banned
Is it too much for me to ask for what the hell Switch Taiko and Tales of are?

Bamco announced those back in January and we still haven't got any info.

LordKano

Best to have low expectations.

Pre-Direct thread are usually crazy with hype and then depression afterwards lol

Nah the last few direct threads were always filled by a ton of party pooper who had unbelievably low expectations, pretending that they were realistic and that everyone hoping for more would set themsleves for disappointment, no matter how silly that was. The worst was during E3.

I'm thinking that Tales might be announced during Sony TGS conf, assuming it's Vesperia Remake.

Parshias7

(Also, my guess is we won't hear jackshit about this until after MHW launching)

Nah, Capcom will announce MH5 as a Switch exclusive in a Direct next week and cut off the legs of MHW's sales.

Then, two months before MH5 comes out, they'll announce Monster Hunter SUPER World for PS4/XB1/PC to sabotage that launch.

Then, right before MHSW releases, they'll announce Monster Hunter Frontier 2, and... OK that one won't do anything.

Celine

I still remember when Bamco announced Sword of Legendia for Wii before the console launch and was listed forever on their website before quietly cancelling it.

I don't expect anything regarding Animal Crossing. Mobile games don't get featured in Direct (
not that there's anything interesting to show, but that's a different topic
) and as far as Switch goes, people from the Animal Crossing team have been working on Splatoon 2, so I doubt that's far into development. And from a business perspective, Nintendo doesn't need it right now and I see no benefit into announcing it right now. Animal Crossing is a huge series with a lot of casual fans, who aren't early adopters of the system, and it's not like Nintendo has a ton of Switch units left in stock that people who are usually among the 'earlier adopters' won't buy. I expect an Animal Crossing game for Switch in H2 2018 and Nintendo doesn't need it much sooner.

Zedark

I'm personally expecting those, as well as Bayonetta, and release dates for Skyrim, XBC2, and Rocket League.

As for what we don't know about yet, I expect at least one really big game for the first half of 2018 to be announced (Animal Crossing or Retro is what I would narrow it down to).
Off topic, but since when did MC thread become the Direct hype thread ;p

Omg I forgot Retro's game...sadly I don't expect it at all. I feel like Nintendo will wait for E3 2018 for that or Game Awards.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This will be a big direct - January, e3 and September. Those were always supposed to be the important ones for Nintendo. Anything that got announced between those dates/events wasnt big enough.

Sorry to ask,
But what you are trying to say is that "monster hunter 5l is coming to the switch, and may be announced during the direct?"

Thanks, i just want to know if you're serious or just joking :/
I'm just joking haha. :)

MatrixMan.EXE already confirmed this way before your post Sammy
jo0bftgd2sy7.png
I know, because I'm his source.

jo0bftgd2sy7.png

I was also the source for the original 4chan rumor. That was me trying to sabotage the MHW reveal.

jo0bftgd2sy7.png

Capcom is not safe as long I'm around.

I don't expect anything regarding Animal Crossing. Mobile games don't get featured in Direct (
not that there's anything interesting to show, but that's a different topic
) and as far as Switch goes, people from the Animal Crossing team have been working on Splatoon 2, so I doubt that's far into development. And from a business perspective, Nintendo doesn't need it right now and I see no benefit into announcing it right now. Animal Crossing is a huge series with a lot of casual fans, who aren't early adopters of the system, and it's not like Nintendo has a ton of Switch units left in stock that people who are usually among the 'earlier adopters' won't buy. I expect an Animal Crossing game for Switch in H2 2018 and Nintendo doesn't need it much sooner.

I don't expect Animal Crossing until May or later in 2018. Nintendo doesn't use the whole Splatoon team for Splatoon 2. They divide up and there hasn't been an AC game (real one) since New Leaf and that was a very long time ago.

Akki

I can confirm
that this is a Nintendo first party game and I have no insight but like any person with half a brain I fully expect a version of Mario maker on switch at some point

I doubt there will be another Mario Maker game on the switch. The 2d-Mario series is already suffering from a huge franchise fatigue. Remember this series was once Nintendo´s biggest system seller and last gen´s sales performance was unremarkable. Nintendo is going to reboot their 2d Mario franchise and then might release a Mario Maker 2 in 2020/2021.

Even with Nintendo wanting to focus more on third parties for this direct I can see a 'big' announcement from them, being port or not. Mario Maker and Tropical Freeze match these criteria, Smash Bros. is less likely but not impossible.

Tropical Freeze is first on my most wanted Wii U games on the switch but considering there are already 2 platformers announced for 2018 I expect this one to be released in 2019.

I doubt there will be another Mario Maker game on the switch. The 2d-Mario series is already suffering from a huge franchise fatigue. Remember this series was once Nintendo´s biggest system seller and last gen´s sales performance was unremarkable.

I mean I think they sold well considering the platform they were on and the fatigue around those games in general. I don't doubt that there should be a reboot but selling 8 mill on a 13 mill install base and what was NSMB2? About 10 million?

That's not the behemoth sales that the Wii and DS games had but there's still massive demand for them clearly. I also can't help but notice how much interest these games have on YouTube as an aside, Gamexplain/The Runaway Guys got massive views for NSMBU. People are still very interested.

Since it seems that there really isn't a direct thread, and this one has kind of devolved into it, I only want to remind everyone that the Animal Crossing app was delayed to release this fiscal year. While the fiscal year lasts until March 2018, I'd bet it could still be in the cards.

Maybe we'll see something on that and a possible Switch teaser with integration of some sort?

Top Bottom