• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 will run at 30FPS on Switch, footage released

ggx2ac

Let folks know in the morning.. Just cleared out all the memory on my switch and have it downloading. No micro SD. It says save files need 5 gigs but I doubt that. They aren't that big on Xbox.

Guessing I'll need the SD card for patches and what have you, but curious to see if I can run the full game as is without it.

The save file is 3GB big in case you missed it.

That's why you might not be able to play it with just internal storage.

derFeef

I think I am pulling the trigger for the switch version. I loved EA basketball games as a youngster but kinda fell of of them, then I really got into JAM and like Palygrounds (while waiting for that switch patch, come on...) I always loved playing with the legend teams, that's in the 2K games, right? It will be my first 2K game :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just played 5mn during my breakfast in handheld mode. My god, the YouTube videos don't even give this game justice.

Best graphics/animations in a Switch game so far, seeing it all move in my hands is quite an experience.

cuR7tAr.jpg

ryushe

i was dumb enough to get the switch and x1 version, you can 1000% tell the difference in graphics and fluidity.
BUT switch is mobile... and its playable docked and undocked, just dont play it after being use to the x1/ps4 version.

Just played 5mn during my breakfast in handheld mode. My god, the YouTube videos don't even give this game justice.

Best graphics/animations in a Switch game so far, seeing it all move in my hands is quite an experience.
Ugh, who do I trust?!

Rezbit

Ugh, who do I trust?!

From the sounds of it, it's a very competent portable version. Can you see yourself taking the game with, and whipping out the joycons for some multi? Or are you gonna kick back on the couch? Still a tough decision, but I guess it comes down to how many hours of each playstyle you think you'll do.

ryushe

Buy it and be happy to have such a big, great game with you whereever you go!!!

From the sounds of it, it's a very competent portable version. Can you see yourself taking the game with, and whipping out the joycons for some multi? Or are you gonna kick back on the couch? Still a tough decision, but I guess it comes down to how many hours of each playstyle you think you'll do.
Fine! You guys win. Just bought it.

After all, I did say that I wanted to support 3rd parties on the Switch and it seems like 2K did a more than admirable job on this version.

Edit:
Damn, looks like I'm playing when I wake up if the two hour download has anything to say about it.

I think I am pulling the trigger for the switch version. I loved EA basketball games as a youngster but kinda fell of of them, then I really got into JAM and like Palygrounds (while waiting for that switch patch, come on...) I always loved playing with the legend teams, that's in the 2K games, right? It will be my first 2K game :)
The arcade modes in 2K games are nothing like Jam, just want to give you a warning before you take the plunge.

Mr.Fusion

Found a small glitch. There's a small white mark that will appear soon after starting a game, and stay there the whole game. I switched from docked to undocked and it went away for a bit, then it came back.

You can see it on the referee's left leg here.

DJv5ecUV4AAA6yO

This looks so good. Playing this in bed on a rainy day will be the best thing.

Karish

Playing this on switch is surreal. It's the full game. Career mode with story and all is insane considering its in your hand. Graphics are somewhere above 360 and below XBO. Framerate is quite noticeable but overall still having fun.

Yup, this game has a ton of classic teams. The 90's bulls in particular are literal power fantasies with Michael Jordan being the physical embodiment of a video game character.

You can run a custom franchise mode putting classic teams or players in a modern league and wreak havoc. Good fun.

lbs.

The game looks... ok/good. It reminds me of the Wii U version. (From memory.)

I don't understand why the clothes physics aren't in...

deadfolk

Says 22.9GB on my sdcard and 3GB to the internal storage totaling 26GB so far on version 1.02 and latest update installed

So it seems the warning about needing 6gb internal was valid - that save file is only going to grow.

This has me legit worried. Nintendo better suck it up and allow saving to SD card or it's going to put a ceiling on the amount of games people will buy.

Been playing for about 30 min this morning. Honestly, it doesn't look (at least in portable mode) much different than the PS4 version.

That's not to say it looks "as good", but I wasn't turned off by the visuals.

30 fps does take some getting used to, and I feel like there is some slowdown or judder that makes it harder to play.

I started MyCareer and The Prelude was identical!

The worst thing I've found so far is that sleep mode turns off WiFi which in turn kills any MyCareer session and you have to start over from a prior save point.

Si2k78

Ugh, who do I trust?!

The point the original poster made, I think, was that going down from the Xbox version to switch version, there is a marked difference. BUT, I can't see how anyone can be dissapointed with how the switch version turned out. The switch version looks absolutely incredible in your hands.

What resolution is the game running at? Can anyone confirm. Looks like 1080p From some of the streams I've seen.

Coppanuva

I would think yes. We did see on their trailer where they are using a single joycon. It will be nice if someone can confirm.
Oh? Might've missed that, but yeah confirmation would be nice. I hope it's the case, would definitely make me even more likely to pick it up

Schnozberry

I'm happy with the purchase. I played a game before I went to work this morning, both docked and undocked, and I think it looks and plays great considering the hardware.

For people who had a previous version for the XB1 or PS4 (I have a PS4 Pro), the adjustment to 30fps took me most of a game to get accustomed to. The animation timing is a bit different and it'll throw you off for a bit. After a while it was fine, though, and I think it was worth it for the trade off to play portable. I'm going to try and get through a game or two on my lunch break and see I notice any other weirdness.

Si2k78

I'm happy with the purchase. I played a game before I went to work this morning, both docked and undocked, and I think it looks and plays great considering the hardware.

For people who had a previous version for the XB1 or PS4 (I have a PS4 Pro), the adjustment to 30fps took me most of a game to get accustomed to. The animation timing is a bit different and it'll throw you off for a bit. After a while it was fine, though, and I think it was worth it for the trade off to play portable. I'm going to try and get through a game or two on my lunch break and see I notice any other weirdness.

Playing a game or two during lunch. Now that is the beauty of the switch.

Rasec46

Neo Member
Guessing the answer is no, but does local multiplayer let you play with 1 joycon per player or does each need a pair?

Local multiplayer works fine with 1 joycon per player, i saw on twitch a streamer trying to add 3 joycons and he was able to add to player to one team and he playing on the other.

So if you even have 4 joycon you can have local multiplayer with 2 players on each team.

Top Bottom