• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Are Subsidizing Rich Suburbanites to Clog Cities With Their Cars

entremet

Not a new problem, but an annoying one: The federal tax code encourages companies to provide free parking to their employees by exempting the fringe benefit from taxation. That means the government is subsidizing commuters to drive themselves to work instead of carpooling or taking mass transit or walking or biking or working from home.

The tax break promotes traffic congestion and eats up parking spaces. It’s worth the most to the people in the highest tax brackets. And it’s worth the most in places where parking is the costliest—that is, the places where congestion is the biggest problem.
Plus, of course, the tax break is money that the government doesn’t collect that could have been used to reduce other taxes or fund other programs.

A new report from TransitCenter, a foundation that says it “works to improve urban mobility,” calculates that the parking benefit is worth up to $1,000 a year for commuters who are in high tax brackets and work in big cities. Collectively, it calculates, the break costs $7.3 billion a year in lost tax revenue.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-their-cars?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business

It also said that those who come into work via rideshares, mass transit, and bikes are more energized and refreshed.

Viewt

My fiancée started a new job this year where, instead of working downtown where she could take a 25-minute train every day, she'd have to drive for an hour. It took about two months before we decided that we'll be moving further east to take advantage of a different train that goes in that direction. It's just too big of a quality of life hit. Driving fucking blows, and doing it for an hour each way, sometimes more, really takes its toll on you after a while.

That's only because our public transit sucks. If it was quick and efficient you wouldn't mind at all.
Outside of all the weirdos, I liked Chicago's elevated train system quite a bit and preferred it to driving. But I also prefer to take a train across the country instead of driving or flying, so maybe I'm the odd one here.

My fiancée started a new job this year where, instead of working downtown where she could take a 25-minute train every day, she'd have to drive for an hour. It took about two months before we decided that we'll be moving further east to take advantage of a different train that goes in that direction. It's just too big of a quality of life hit. Driving fucking blows, and doing it for an hour each way, sometimes more, really takes its toll on you after a while.

I have an hour commute to work each way every day. It does indeed suck. *I keep trying to find a school closer to me but no luck so far.

Improve public transit a little
a lot
then maybe.
Until then, no way in hell.

My actual commute (after having moved to be closer to my office):
SAyTeFs.png

vs
kNcmFcp.png

Fuck MARTA (Atlanta)

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Sounds like a short commute compared to SoCal. I've been doing an hour one way for most of my time living in this state (almost 20 years now). Gives me more time for singing practice, so I don't even mind it anymore. : )

Kyzer

Banned
The idea of using public transport seems so odd to me. I'd much rather drive than get on a bus.

Youd understand if having a car wasnt an option for you. Or if you have to work in a place like DC where theres no free parking and a fuckload of traffic, its just not worth driving

Sunster

My county has some of the worst bus coverage in the US but I still use it daily as opposed to buying a money eating car. I know there's hope to improve it, we almost did a few years ago but republican voters gonna republican vote.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The idea of using public transport seems so odd to me. I'd much rather drive than get on a bus.

kind of a chicken and egg problem. if more non-poor white people started using public transit, the quality would probably improve dramatically

Fuchsdh

Improve public transit a little
a lot
then maybe.
Until then, no way in hell.

My actual commute (after having moved to be closer to my office):
SAyTeFs.png

vs
kNcmFcp.png

Fuck MARTA (Atlanta)

The idea here is that ending subsidies which discourage improvements is one small step towards those improvements.

Honestly even in NY having a car outside of Manhattan is more convenient than not, because getting to another borough without going into the city first is difficult and time-consuming.

american cities are so badly designed with their focus on car commuting

It's horrible. Public transportation exists mostly as a last resort here rather than a primary means. Everyone has to own a car and know how to drive. I've never lived any other way but I hate it. Such a waste. The infrastructure is so bad that it's not practical to use for most people unless they want to wake up at 3am for a 3 hour bus ride every day.

I'm going to be travelling around the London area soon where I hear a lot of people don't even know how to drive. I'd be in heaven if I was ever in the position to sell my car and go without. I've never enjoyed driving.

According to google maps, if I took public transportation home, it would take 3 hours and 10 minutes and would involved 40 minutes of walking.

My drive to work is >1hr and I have to pay for parking.
Taking transit to work would take ~90 minutes and adds a 15 minute walk from the station to my office.

Urban design and rent spikes have fucked modern urban life. Rather, they've made the fucked state the status quo and everyone eventually resigns themselves to the notion that this is an intractable problem.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You can read and browse gaf while you drive. It's not hard. If you get desperate, there's always books on tape.

That's so irresponsible! Besides, I don't have time to read and browse gaf while I'm driving since I'm already too preoccupied with drinking.

HariKari

In a lot of metro areas, the suburbs are the only place even remotely affordable and there's little to no public transit to begin with.

Self-driving cars, save us

Honestly even in NY having a car outside of Manhattan is more convenient than not, because getting to another borough without going into the city first is difficult and time-consuming.

This sounds similar to the issue I have in Atlanta. I moved just within the border to Gwinnett County, which has reliably shut down all attempts to improve transit interconnection between it and the city proper due to "the MARTA element" (read: dear god keep the poor black people away). I actually have to walk back into Fulton county to catch an in-network bus to even get the ball rolling.
I just don't fucking get it.

Futureman

Comments on my local newspaper's website are generally a garbage bin, but one thing I always see on public transportation stories is "Why should I have to pay for public transportation with my taxes?! I never use it!"

UGGGHHHHH

entremet

The idea here is that ending subsidies which discourage improvements is one small step towards those improvements.

Uber/Lyft for that. But owning a car in the Boroughs is still a pain in the ass too. Alternate side of the street parking, looking for parking, expensive garage fees, etc.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Comments on my local newspaper's website are generally a garbage bin, but one thing I always see on public transportation stories is "Why should I have to pay for public transportation with my taxes?! I never use it!"

UGGGHHHHH

I wonder what they think of public education too :p

In hundreds of years, if we ever get rid of cars as we know them now or evolve to something different, we'll think about how weird it was to fill most of our cities with enormous asphalt parking lots. Unlike things of the past like large fields for farming, which eventually become over grown and nature reclaims them, parking lots will have more staying power. I think if we could transport some person from the future to the past they might marvel at how much space we reserve (often by building codes) for parking our cars.

When you walk around in your average city (so, no, not dense urban metropolis' that have reasonable public transportation options) look around and think about how much room is used for putting a car while it does nothing all day.

It's because public transit in the US sucks. While I commute to work every day and generally don't mind it, I would prefer to take public transportation where I can sit there and read or use my computer or something than have to drive in every day. It's just too much of an inconvenience for me. I already lose 2 hours a day on my commute, and if I took public transit (which would be kinda available to me), I'd lose close to 3 hours, and I'd still have to drive to the train station because my city doesn't run bus routes out near my house.

I wonder what they think of public education too :p

While it's eroded a bit, one thing that a majority of Americans consistently agree on is funding for public education. You can run a "For the Children, For the Schools!" campaign in every city in all 50 states and it'll win out. While Charter schools (which are still technically public education) have been on the rise over the last 20 years, Private and Parochial schools have generally become less common, and most people still poll highly in favor of supporting local schools. You'll always have loud voices complaining against public schools somewhere, but for the most part, an overwhelming majority support taxes for public schools, even if they groan about real estate tax.

Where you see disagreement, obviously, is on curriculum, but luckily most curriculums aren't up to the public, but by nationally reviewed boards and committees.

ShyMel

I would love for public transportation to be more accessible. I hate driving but it would take me three hours by bus to get to work versus 45 minutes driving (with traffic).

Stanng243

Read and browse GAF while you drive? I'm guessing you have tons of traffic to deal with lol.

I really sincerely hope you are not doing this.

Yeah, you shouldn't do that.

Our reliance on cars is making us fatter too :(

That's cuz American public transport sucks ass compared to Asia and Europe.

That's so irresponsible! Besides, I don't have time to read and browse gaf while I'm driving since I'm already too preoccupied with drinking.

Yeah, I've realized that's a bad idea, which is why I've switched to books on tape.

krae_man

UGGGHHHHH

Got lots of that here as our first LRT is nearing completion.

Sunster

UGGGHHHHH

yep. these are the people who destroyed an extensive upgrade to my city's public transit that would have created a light rail and tripled bus coverage. but no. 1 penny added to the sales tax was too much to bear.

gaiages

Banned
kind of a chicken and egg problem. if more non-poor white people started using public transit, the quality would probably improve dramatically

This is the real crux of the problem.

Public transportation in my town sucks... except unsurprisingly around the area where our main college is (with all the rich white students). Unsurprisingly, it's not good anywhere else, including the historically black college and the community college. Things that were a 10-15 minute drive could take over an hour by bus IF you didn't miss your connection, god forbid if you did.

If rich white people didn't feel so entitled to their cars as a status symbol in the US, maybe we could make public transportation usable or something.

UGGGHHHHH

It was that exact mentality that got free bus passes taken away from all the colleges that weren't (surprise!!) the main college. That really fucking hurt me as a minimum wage worker that had to take buses everywhere. It's like the kids with a car thought it would lower tuition or something LOL

cwmartin

I drive about 5 minutes to the train station, hop on that train and walk to work. It's the ideal situation (aside from that first drive), and train > car for the entire rest of my life please.

HylianTom

Banned
This is one of those times where I wish the price of gasoline would spike. Tired of subsidizing rural and suburban America's drive-everywhere-for-absolutely-everything lifestyle.

ZOONAMI

This is why I laugh at people complaining about too many bike lanes. They are supposed to make you mad and discourage driving.

Fuchsdh

Uber/Lyft for that. But owning a car in the Boroughs is still a pain in the ass too. Alternate side of the street parking, looking for parking, expensive garage fees, etc.

Where I am and with my job situation, alternate street parking isn't a real problem, so no garage fees and similar. And it makes it far easier to get to stuff close by (East NY, for instance) that are not at all well-served by metro. Lyft is "cheap" but it's still more expensive than gas and operating costs.

Plus, all this stuff leaves aside the fact that if I want to leave the city, I have a lot more flexibility. I can take the train (expensive) or bus (less expensive), but I have far more mobility and options with a car.

Top Bottom