• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

iwcmJht.gif

Thanks for checking and getting back to us, must have been busy days for you.
12:01am EST September 18 is 6:01 am CEST... In not even 6 hours now. We're not doing a separate review thread, or are we? I for sure won't be available that early ;)

Would definitely appreciate a separate review thread if someone has time to do it. This thread is reeeeally old now and some people might not realize this a releasing this week.

First review is good though hard to make much of that, seems like a really amateur site.

Karak

Oh shit -for controller users

I may have my own issues with the game but of the 4 people who sat and played it this week. None of them had those issues, though obviously it doesn't have the fidelity of a wheel at all. Strangely though those issues DID exist prior to the latest patch.

Klocker

I may have my own issues with the game but of the 4 people who sat and played it this week. None of them had those issues, though obviously it doesn't have the fidelity of a wheel at all. Strangely though those issues DID exist prior to the latest patch.

Oh that's hopeful
Thx

WoolyNinja

Thanks for the info - as always I look forward to your review

Karak

My review
Wait for Sale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxh7E-YlFI

Even with the patch the game has a large number of graphical issues, issues with the AI and its way of driving looking really odd. I tried to capture it in the video. Its like it gets confused and goes digital left, right, left right, in every corner like a kid hitting a digital steering pad versus analog or something. And it still feels a bit off. Somewhat like Project Cars where it feels like there is this strange fine layer of translation going on when your driving. Its not a pause. Its...just a bit numb. I spent hours in the FFB and in the controller settings. Based on PS4 and PS4pro versions. PC version wouldn't work.

As for control. Its better than Project Cars and not perfect. But I think some folks forget that some of these cars are BRUTES even with a steering wheel. Its insane. In a good way

That DOES NOT mean its bad. Its not. There is a ton of content and the career mode is the bomb and its fun. But my honest opinion is the racing scheme is pretty crowded with some excellent entries both already released and coming and this misses that instant buy mark.

Karak

Thanks, makes me feel all the better that I decided to bite on F1 2017 this year as that game controls fantastically. The controls were my biggest problem with PCars1 and I was hoping they'd get it right for this game but it sounds like there's still room for improvement. I'll probably grab it on sale so I can take the Indycar's around some tracks though.

Ya and patchable for sure!

danowat

Banned
Ehhhhh..... Not sure what to make of the first couple of reviews....

I might wait till a few more reviews before I do a review thread, unless someone else does one prior to me doing one.

TJP

My review
Wait for Sale

Even with the patch the game has a large number of graphical issues, issues with the AI and its way of driving looking really odd. I tried to capture it in the video. Its like it gets confused and goes digital left, right, left right, in every corner like a kid hitting a digital steering pad versus analog or something. And it still feels a bit off. Somewhat like Project Cars where it feels like there is this strange fine layer of translation going on when your driving. Its not a pause. Its...just a bit numb. I spent hours in the FFB and in the controller settings. Based on PS4 and PS4pro versions. PC version wouldn't work.
Thanks for the detailed review. Hopefully the issues are nutted out by the time I buy the game.

danowat

Banned
My review
Wait for Sale

As for control. Its better than Project Cars and not perfect. But I think some folks forget that some of these cars are BRUTES even with a steering wheel. Its insane. In a good way

That DOES NOT mean its bad. Its not. There is a ton of content and the career mode is the bomb and its fun. But my honest opinion is the racing scheme is pretty crowded with some excellent entries both already released and coming and this misses that instant buy mark.

Did it feel like project cars 2,or more like project cars 1.5?

xrnzaaas

My review
Wait for Sale

Oh man the glitches with the flickering shadows are horrible. I guess I'll wait until the game gets patched before I buy it.

Bollocks

hmm still looks good to me, haven't played pc1 or any racing game at all this gen besides driveclub so I'm looking forward to a new racing game and NFS is just too far out.

Mascot

My review
Wait for Sale

On GTP Ian Bell is baffled by the comment about the pad controls, and says the flickering shadows is only in the replays..?

We do have those two graphics issues in replays (tree shadowing and shadow bias, and draw sort order in fog with windshields). Both are improved in the next patch. But it's a valid complaint, albeit replay only. Slightly personally annoying as I pushed the guys to try to get our replays up to GT levels...

I couldn't disagree with him more on the feel.

Load times are all under 1st party limits which are tight. We didn't get a 'waiver' there.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-reviews.357791/page-2#post-11945547

Alexious

Ehhhhh..... Not sure what to make of the first couple of reviews....

I might wait till a few more reviews before I do a review thread, unless someone else does one prior to me doing one.

You might want to wait for 15:00 CET. That's when European reviews should hit.

fresquito

I don't really get the controls comments. In HobbyConsolas they even say it's worse than PC1. I mean, either the build they sent is broken or people have broken hands. It's leagues and bounds above PC1.

BTW, it's always fun watching people criticise the AI while they bump into them in each and every corner.

Karak

On GTP Ian Bell is baffled by the comment about the pad controls, and says the flickering shadows is only in the replays..?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-reviews.357791/page-2#post-11945547

The shadows/lod issues and in the trees especially are over the game. As others already pointed out you can see it in many sections, and those who got the game early see it. Thats odd. But for them its small. For me its terrible looking. Lod issues kill my soul.

And not at all sure what he is disagreeing with me for about the gamepad. I said you can play with a gamepad very well.

Is this the same Ian Bell who last Friday posted that PC2 was better than Forza on Xbox? Before admitting 4 minutes later that he'd never seen Forza running on Xbox?

And not at all sure what he is disagreeing with me for. I said you can play with a gamepad very well.
I think its outside the gamepad feel - you ended your review saying the cars didn't feel quite like they should overall - that 'layer of translation' between your inputs and your expectations.

Thanks for the in-depth review. I definitely read that more as 'wait for a patch' than 'wait for a sale', but it has me looking to more reviews for their take on technical issues. Still 90% buy ATM but taking notes ;p

Karak

I think its outside the gamepad feel - you ended your review saying the cars didn't feel quite like they should - that layer of translation between your inputs and your expectations.

Thanks for the in-depth review. I definitely read that more as 'wait for a patch' than 'wait for a sale', but it has me looking to more reviews for their take on technical issues. Still 90% buy ATM but taking notes ;p

I would be...incredibly surprised if a developer was baffled by someone saying it improved in the control department but still felt a tiny bit off. Thats incredibly defensive. Actually. Nah. I guess I am not.

As for wait for a patch. If a patch just fixes one of 5 issues, it doesn't really work out so well. What you will spend seems like a better bet lol. Then again I remember PATCHES to Skyrim making my dragons fly backwards lol

Mascot

I would be...incredibly surprised if a developer was baffled by someone saying it improved in the control department but still felt a tiny bit off. Thats incredibly defensive. Actually. Nah. I guess I am not.

I can't remember exactly what you said about the feel (I was getting a little distracted by all the similes, to be honest..! :p) but I *think* it was something like "compared to, say, other games". What other games were you referencing here?

Karak

I can't remember exactly what you said about the feel (I was getting a little distracted by all the similes, to be honest..! :p) but I *think* it was something like "compared to, say, other games". What other games were you referencing here?

Shooters :)
LOL
Other racers with a more tactile feel and response between ground, wheel, and hands.
Clearly you haven't heard of Ian Bell then.
I have not. But I now see folks are saying my video is doing irreparable damage to the brand. And just got a nice message in my youtube telling me to die.
I love fans.

Karak

It's 15:00 CEST according to Ian Bell.

I don't know who that is.
But I know who their Director of Communications and Corporate Social Responsibility's who sent me the game:) And as posted earlier 12:01 AM EST
You aren't the only one, seems like some were told one thing (Bamco US?) and others another (Bamco Worldwide?)
Great so now some pissy people are attacking me because their company can't get shit right. this is FUN>

danowat

Banned
I don't know who that is.
But I know who their director of communications and Corporate Social Responsibility's who sent me the game. And as posted earlier 12:01 AM EST

Head of the dev, SMS, looks like a comms breakdown between the dev and the pub.

TJP

But I now see folks are saying my video is doing irreparable damage to the brand. And just got a nice message in my youtube telling me to die.
I love fans.
The internet is full of morons and you've clearly attracted some of them. Quite a few people are heavily invested in pCARS 2 so it's little surprise.

I liked your review for pCARS 2 as I did for WRC 7.

Karak

Email one
Hi Karak,

It's time to strap on your racing helmet and buckle up! Your physical review copy of Project CARS 2, which is launching in the Americas on September 22, 2017 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PCs via STEAM, is in the mail. Along with the review copy of Project CARS 2, we would like to kindly ask that you to follow the caveats listed below prior to diving into the game for your review.

1. Redacted about patch

2. Launch Day Revisit Request

3. All reviews are embargoed until 12:01am EST on September 18, 2017.

4. PC requirements comment

5. Additional Project CARS 2 assets can be found on the BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America press FTP site (link below).

We look forward to seeing your review impressions for Project CARS 2; please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the game.

Link to physical pic of statement on physical letter of NDA
https://imgur.com/4KDhlw8

fresquito

You really don't need to prove anything (not to us, anyway). I disagree with your handling comments, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

In any case, this is not the first problem Bandai creates.

I have not. But I now see folks are saying my video is doing irreparable damage to the brand. And just got a nice message in my youtube telling me to die.
I love fans.

My GT5 review got brigaded by N4G users who threatened my children with violence.

I don't miss the business at all.

Mascot

Head of the dev, SMS, looks like a comms breakdown between the dev and the pub.

BN have been pissing Ian Bell off for a while now (eg approving buggy and outdated dev build videos for release, general comms fuckery, misinformation about preorders etc). Can't see that relationship lasting for pCARS 3.

Karak

All of this for a review of a game I actually liked a great deal.
Well back to normal life I guess

My GT5 review got brigaded by N4G users who threatened my children with violence.

I don't miss the business at all.

I had someone say they hoped my dogs burned to death or were poisoned in front of me.
It takes some...creativity I guess.

saladine1

Wow, so the controller issues are still a thing?

I don't know man, from the time I played the game with a controller, it was worlds apart from Cars 1. Very satisfying indeed.
Perhaps something made its way into the latest builds or something?

Top Bottom