• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 Review thread

fresquito

No, and it was not written clearly when they opened the founding for the second game on their same own WMD platform !
That's false. You should read terms you sign for next time.

The discussion about the Ai I think it's one of these things that gets magnified. I mean, the video is terrible, but I've clocked more than 150 hours and have never experienced such a messy situation, not even in earlier AI settings. My latest races have been quite good from the AI side. Some tracks probably have some problem, but that's not representative of how the AI works.

This is an AI race I made a month or so ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlT6rwip_f0

It's really a pity that SMS decided or was forced or whatever to launch the game with problems like those in the video unshorted. They are not common, but watching videos like that, people will think twice before buying the game. And rightfully so.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

The discussion about the Ai I think it's one of these things that gets magnified. I mean, the video is terrible, but I've clocked more than 150 hours and have never experienced such a messy situation, not even in earlier AI settings. My latest races have been quite good from the AI side. Some tracks probably have some problem, but that's not representative of how the AI works.

This is an AI race I made a month or so ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlT6rwip_f0

It's really a pity that SMS decided or was forced or whatever to launch the game with problems like those in the video unshorted. They are not common, but watching videos like that, people will think twice before buying the game. And rightfully so.

can you test at monaco track and the same Formula cars as the gamersyde video?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

It was not written on the product page and the purchase page, only on the very long terms page, who reads that when you expect it to be the same terms as PCARS 1?

And when they make it foundable on their own founding platform that make founders get some money back (as they advertise it), it's normal to expect it (and I'm not the only one who got fooled by the way they handled it).

Project CARS 2 |OT| Buggy Racing
Project CARS 2 |OT| Slightly Bad QA

Gestault

I can only speak from my experience in the first game and footage I'm seeing come out from the patched retail release of PC2, but I'm sort of surprised you haven't encountered the AI needlessly clogging a turn like that.

fresquito

can you test at monaco track and the same Formula cars as the gamersyde video?
Nope, the beta key has been revoked for a week and half now.

It was not written on the product page and the purchase page, only on the very long terms page, who reads that when you expect it to be the same terms as PCARS 1?

And when they make it foundable on their own founding platform that make founders get some money back (as they advertise it), it's normal to expect it (and I'm not the only one who got fooled by the way they handled it).
It was. Basically you asumed. You have the right to complain, but that's about all the right you have here.
I can only speak from my experience in the first game and footage I'm seeing come out from the patched retail release of PC2, but I'm sort of surprised you haven't encountered the AI needlessly clogging a turn like that.
This is a car and track combo thing, not a general AI thing. From my experience some cars/classes need extra work, some tracks need extra work. If you mix them, they will yield the worst possible scenarios. It's not even a thing of tracks being tight, since I've tried Bathurst and found the AI pretty good. Then again, I've never played Monaco in PC2 (not a fan of the track) and only formula cars I've played are Vintage at vintage tracks. So my understanding is that this is a case by case scenario that can probably be shorted out. It's not, in my opinion, a widespread AI problem.

Yes, AI is not as good in slow corners, yes, AI is slower than it should in the first lap, but what you see in the Gamersyde video is not the norm. Not in my experience at least.

DD

So it's still an unfinished buggy mess that plays like shit, just like every other SMS game? I'm surprised...

Hopefully by the time I can check this out at my library they will have patched some of the more egregious issues. Mostly though I hope the handling feels right (wheel). I never did get to like the way PC1 felt.

Klocker

nice sounds like a marked improvement over the original

this is good to hear also from IGN review

"Project CARS 2's new handling model is a tour de force. On a wheel it's brilliant, from the feeling of being able to step the rear end out – and still save your car from what previously would've been a certain, uncontrolled slide – to the feel of the steering sharpening as your tyres come up to temperature, allowing you to really cut into corners and gobble up apexes. The sensation of grip is terrific but so is the feel of it going away, which is way, way more linear and realistic.

On a gamepad, though? It's simply a different game to the first altogether. It's just so much better. I haven't even touched any settings; straight out of the box Project CARS 2 feels manageable and planted. It's a fraction more numb on turn-in compared to the 1:1 directness you get on a wheel but the twitchiness of the first game is just gone. You don't need a wheel to enjoy this deep, nuanced handling model; there's a satisfying, challenging, and most of all manageable racing experience to be had here, regardless of your control method.

i can live with a few bugs as they get patched for the overall package of fun Motorsport racing which this game seems to offer in spades and what I preferred about it last time around compared to Forza

nikos

My trust was lost the first time around, after people recommended the game only because there was money involved. It also was not fun configuring controller settings for hours at a time.

Combine that with the fact that Forza 7 and GT Sport are right around the corner and it makes PC2 a tough sell, even to somebody who buys most racing games that are released.

N21

Does anyone know if PC2 console versions keep a steady frame rate because PC1 for XB1 was a joke?

My trust was lost the first time around, after people recommended the game only because there was money involved. It also was not fun configuring controller settings for hours at a time.

Combine that with the fact that Forza 7 and GT Sport are right around the corner and it makes PC2 a tough sell, even to somebody who buys most racing games that are released.

Totally agree with you. Plus, the first game came out in May 2015 which was a safe month in terms of releases, September seems more dangerous for such a release.

And folks are going to be able to play the Forza 7 demo tomorrow - which may (or not depending how good it is) steer some cash away from PCars2.

DD

So, are you going for any of the other two big racers?

You mean Forza 7 and GT Sport? Nah, not really. I don't own an Xbox One or a PC to run FM7 (also got a bit tired of Forza), and online gaming isn't interesting to me, and that's the focus with GTS. I thank the gods for Codemasters for my racing fix
even thought the seem a bit retarded from time to time.

That AI pile up lmao (this video)

kBb7JmK.png
Sweet merciful Jesus.

Tearing and clueless AI? Yeah, I've gone from a buy to a wait-and-see on this.

The game could be awesomesauce in the moment-to-moment, but there's just too many issues, small and large for me to jump in at release. Will keep an eye on patches and sales.

dsk1210

Watched the ACG review, and Karak hit the nail on the head when he said PC1 doesn't get the feeling of the cars right. And its sad that (but sort of expected) that PC2 is more of the same though improved some what.

If you're on PC, Assetto Corsa has by far the better feeling driving mechanics that feel intense and challenging vs PC1's lack of feedback and difference in all their cars. What makes PC1 even worse was the force feedback in wheels was non existent. The career mode was also a snore, its a shame as PC1 was a very good looking game, and PC2 with a couple of patches could also be a good looking game too.

No game has came close to Assetto Corsa on PC in terms of exhilarating driving experience yet, especially in VR at a solid 90fps.

Will wait to see how this one pans out in VR.

Alebelly

Does anyone know if PC2 console versions keep a steady frame rate because PC1 for XB1 was a joke?

They stated prior to release that it will target 60, and should be pretty solid if you play solo, but if there are other cars on track they are doing everything they can to push consoles as hard as they can be pushed

nelo_inc

Better reviews then I expected overall,might end up getting it on PC or PS4, now to see if the patches will fix the issues soon.

cakely

That AI pile up lmao (this video)

It's almost unfair but that one video has completely destroyed any interest I had in buying the Project Cars 2. Not only does it highlight failures of the AI in start after start but it does not look good, either. Everything looks hilariously flat.

The reviews scores are high, so I have to assume that it's a decent game. But that video, wow. I can't get past it.

Version 1.03 patch notes.

• Reenabled HDR.
  • Several enhancements and improvements to Career Mode.
  • Several enhancements and improvements to the in-game HUD.
  • Enhancements and improvements to Time Trial, Director and Broadcast modes.
  • Enhancements and improvements to Photo Mode.
  • Support for larger saved replays.
  • Several enhancements and improvements for online play.
  • Several enhancements and improvements to AI.
  • Smaller tweaks to Motorsport Presets, car handling, pit stops, vehicle graphics, rendering and special effects.

danowat

Banned
Version 1.03 patch notes.

• Reenabled HDR.
  • Several enhancements and improvements to Career Mode.
  • Several enhancements and improvements to the in-game HUD.
  • Enhancements and improvements to Time Trial, Director and Broadcast modes.
  • Enhancements and improvements to Photo Mode.
  • Support for larger saved replays.
  • Several enhancements and improvements for online play.
  • Several enhancements and improvements to AI.
  • Smaller tweaks to Motorsport Presets, car handling, pit stops, vehicle graphics, rendering and special effects.

AI improvements sound handy, considering to feeling in this thread!!!

Klocker

...snip...Everything looks hilariously flat.

i wonder if it is the result of an HDR game being captured in SDR?

have watched many HD and 4k YT feeds the past few weeks from beta players and it looks way better than a couple of these vids

Once it finishes downloading....... slow downloads ;(
Thanks in advance!!

That the pile-up didn't occur in the wet tells me that they addressed the no-disadvantage in the wet AI issues, they brake earlier than would be perfect in the wet, so no pile-up in the wet. Also means that an AI slower than 100% might not pile up either.

The much bigger AI issues in pCARS1 were that they overtook you in the most dangerous and stupid ways even driving over grass or very high sausage curbs. If you overtook them on the inside of some certain corners it was like they had a blind spot for that corner, rammed you or even shoved you side by side, which is pretty deadly in open wheelers as well. At least the too dangerous overtaking by faster AI was addressed with the aggressiveness slider, we'll see about the rest.

Synth

It's almost unfair but that one video has completely destroyed any interest I had in buying the Project Cars 2

Yea, same here. Prior to this video, I thought Forza AI cars on Long Beach were as bad as it gets... but this is just ridiculous, and seemingly shockingly consistent.

With the patch 1.03 installed, the AI pile up still happens with the exact same settings as the Gamersyde video.

If I reduce the opponent skill to 60, there's no accident. But with 100 opponent skill, the pile up happens every time on Monaco.
I was right :))

Edit: I also remember from pCARS1, the first corner at Monaco had an issue that would flag your qualifying lap invalid, if you were too far on the inside even though you were still within track limits, maybe if SMS corrected that, this one isolated problem would be solved since the AI had more space through that corner.

Top Bottom