• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

DrGrus

Using a ASUS ROG laptop with i7-4710HQ at 2.5 GHz and NVIDIA GTX 860m. Getting unsupported graphic card. Is my graphic card that bad or am I missing something?

Thought that a NVIDIA GT 740 should be worse than my card?

Anyone else having this issue?

LQX

That dry, to rain, to thunderstorm was amazing. Runs great on my 980Ti. What really pisses me off though is that with all these damn graphics features you can turn off and off they still do not include fps counter. More studios need to get with it and include a damn fps counter so we can see what features are killing performances.

Poppyseed

XBOX One impressions:

The demo graphics are actually pretty terrible. It's clear this game is waiting for the One X to drop. The Nuburgring graphics are especially dire. The cars look like they're floating on the road at the start due to extremely basic shadows, and textures look flat and lifeless.

The one redeeming part of the demo is that the lightning causes the cars to light up (a very cool effect), and driving semis is endlessly entertaining.

The Dubai track is like Seattle at rush hour, and was't fun in the slightest due to this.

Demo is running solid so far for me.

vRoPQ6H.jpg

aA53mEC.jpg

Damn that looks beautiful, I never picked up FM5/FM6...might have to make a return.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Uhm, yea. It did feel better than Apex and FH3. But you can feel that it's Forza and that they don't take the FFB from an actually modeled suspension geometry with caster and kingpin correct. steering ratio and linearity also seemed incorrect, but I couldn't be bothered to try the other 2 cars. But you can be sure this FFB is baked from some telemetry and tire values.

I could feel a bit more suspension movement and tire load, but even if the FFB would have felt fantastic, you still can't drive a car on sim steering as you should be. On a controller you can't achieve these vastly different steering accelerations and unideal angles at certain speeds and that is what this game was made and tested for. I'm sure it plays great on controller and normal steering, but with a wheel it doesn't drive like a sim and definitely not like a real car.

so, not so different from other Forzas :\

KainXVIII

I must say that performance on my rig is not very good, stutters like crazy with i5-3570, gtx 970 and 8gb of ram. Settings is set to optimal or recommended, i don't remember. And i will not be surprising if game runs silky smooth even on xbox one (not to say xbonex) =(

I also installed it to E: so why the fk is it on C:?

I don't have a solution to your main problem (sorry!) but this I can explain - UWP apps are a weird, convoluted beast that tie themselves to the OS drive. When you install it to any other drive, the files are indeed put on that drive, but a symbolic link (i.e. a fancy shortcut) is created in the hidden C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder. That way the OS points to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, but it ends up landing at E:\Whatever.

mjp2417

Banned
That dry, to rain, to thunderstorm was amazing. Runs great on my 980Ti. What really pisses me off though is that with all these damn graphics features you can turn off and off they still do not include fps counter. More studios need to get with it and include a damn fps counter so we can see what features are killing performances.

There is one for both Forza Apex and Horizon. I would assume that would be in the final retail build.

Runs very well in game with a 1080 @ 2k all maxed wìth MSAA 2x but for some reason menu are really slow and lagging. On the other hand I tried with my G29 well and it fells like total shit.

DarkestHour

Banned
I don't have a solution to your main problem (sorry!) but this I can explain - UWP apps are a weird, convoluted beast that tie themselves to the OS drive. When you install it to any other drive, the files are indeed put on that drive, but a symbolic link (i.e. a fancy shortcut) is created in the hidden C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder. That way the OS points to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, but it ends up landing at E:\Whatever.

Makes sense. Oh well, no demo for me.

samred

demo crashes on Win10 every time I load it; doesn't even reach any loading screens. no idea how to fix. UWP is such a mess.

and the reason I blamed UWP has become clear: this happened because I installed this demo on my newer SSD that hadn't had any UWP games on it before. Windows hated that, but had no way to inform me. UWP is a garbage implementation. I just moved the game to another drive on a whim, and sure enough, it worked. Did I say "fuck UWP" yet? No? Fuck UWP. Gonna test this now on my 1080Ti...

When the game starts in window mode try to press ALT+ ENTER before its fully loaded, so you put the game in fullscreen mode yourself.
Helped me.
Or fiddling around with the window size and then press alt+enter.
Strange problem with a strange fixing...

That worked thank you.

Hnng this looks lovely.

On Xbox One. A few details I liked. The netting moves now in the side windows which is cool and the driver suits look real good. The dynamic skies are really cool, but why is the sky on Mugello just static? Hope this is just placeholder.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't think there's a way yet of distributing HDR footage, or really ways for people to play it back in media players? Even if you screenshot and post on imgur, you can't actually see it.

Built in players on smart TVs are capable of playing HDR through a downloaded file.

anddo0

PC 1070 blah blah.....

Game looks amazing

Controls feel terrible with a controller.. Maybe it's just me.

Maybe too much flash? The thunderstorm/downpour, and then that other track with the confide, helicopters flying, planes landing etc.. .. The tracks seem too busy. I'd expect this from Horzen, but I'm looking for sim here.

There's definitely some CPU optimization to be done, but it's not bad. The AI on pro and with the aggression limit off = bunch of asses. Every chance they get, they put you into the wall or try to spill you out.

mike4001_

XBOX One impressions:

The demo graphics are actually pretty terrible. It's clear this game is waiting for the One X to drop. The Nuburgring graphics are especially dire. The cars look like they're floating on the road at the start due to extremely basic shadows, and textures look flat and lifeless.

The one redeeming part of the demo is that the lightning causes the cars to light up (a very cool effect), and driving semis is endlessly entertaining.

The Dubai track is like Seattle at rush hour, and was't fun in the slightest due to this.

They have dynamic day/night weather now.

Previously all shaders were backed in, now they are dynamic.

This in combination with 1080/60 is probably just too much for a standard Xbox One

golem

There's a lot of details the next forza really needs to look at, AI, force feedback, pit stops, qualitying, the list has been huge since forza 2 was a thing and every game has hardly fixed these missing issues.
Honestly it's at the point now that I don't expect these issues ever to be addressed satisfactorily. Still probably going to buy it but not looking at Forza for the full sim experience, which is a shame because with their resources they could make something truly great

Poppyseed

They have dynamic day/night weather now.

Previously all shaders were backed in, now they are dynamic.

This in combination with 1080/60 is probably just too much for a standard Xbox One

Oh I'm sure. I'm just surprised by how... barren it looks on the XBOX ONE S. Compared to the gorgeous PC version it looks like a last-gen title.

XBOX One impressions:

Really? That seems to be the exact opposite of other comments here. I'll be checking it out tomorrow on Xbox One as well. Since I don't have the S I'll be able to see the difference between non HDR and with HDR when One X releases. Should be interesting.

Oh I'm sure. I'm just surprised by how... barren it looks on the XBOX ONE S. Compared to the gorgeous PC version it looks like a last-gen title.

As for differences, MS DID say their first party games would all be 4K. I wonder how much other improvements we realistically can expect next to that, but going by your comment here it sounds like X will provide a very clear difference.

The talk of the FFB being bad is killing me. Is there some unwritten rule that all the really polished racers with good visuals have shit FFB?? I mean, what is the point? What is the point making a racing sim with shit FFB? All that attention to detail in other areas of the game for nothing. Waste of time.

KdotIX

Posted in the other thread but I'll ask here as well...

Is it me or does turning off the Motion Camera option not work? I tried it on both the Dubai track and the Nurburgring. Feeling dizzy af right now.

MaDKaT

Hmmm.... not sure how I feel about the demo(PC). Getting a lot of hitching. Menus are really bad but during the race it is not smooth at all with a 7700K/1080 at 2560x1080. My 1080 doesnt seem to be getting any sort of stress. Tried the default setting (generally Ultra/High), tweaked some setting in and out of the game and it is mildly irritating. Kind of feels like the odd drops in Horizon. I wan't to pull out my wheel to give this a go but hearing some of the comments here I may just leave it packed and just use a controller.

The talk of the FFB being bad is killing me. Is there some unwritten rule that all the really polished racers with good visuals have shit FFB?? I mean, what is the point? What is the point making a racing sim with shit FFB? All that attention to detail in other areas of the game for nothing. Waste of time.

Yeah, not good at all.

MANGOD

Banned
Performance issues for me. i5 7600 with 16gb and a 1080ti. Running a rog pg348q gsync at 100hz. All settings left to recommended and at least once a lap the game shits the bed for a few seconds stuttering about badly. I have only managed to run a bench once which gave me max of 100 frames but the other 2 times I have ran the game has simply quit on me. Any suggestions?

anddo0

Hmmm.... not sure how I feel about the demo(PC). Getting a lot of hitching. Menus are really bad but during the race it is not smooth at all with a 7700K/1080 at 2560x1080. My 1080 doesnt seem to be getting any sort of stress. Tried the default setting (generally Ultra/High), tweaked some setting in and out of the game and it is mildly irritating. Kind of feels like the odd drops in Horizon. I wan't to pull out my wheel to give this a go but hearing some of the comments here I may just leave it packed and just use a controller.

My game actually experienced two instances where it froze for a solid 3-5 seconds during a race. It would resume and run normally, but some odd glitches going on here.

Thank you Microsoft for bringing this beauty to PC. The game is amazing, runs on ultra 1080p 60 fps with no drops on a i5 6600K / RX 580. The sound is amazing and the image quality jaw dropping. It's a must buy for me.

My game actually experienced two instances where it froze for a solid 3-5 seconds during a race. It would resume and run normally, but some odd glitches going on here.

Yeah, same happened here. Are you running a new version of RTSS that supports UWP by any chance? Maybe turn it off. Doesn't do good things for UWP games imo.

UWP games seem to be very sensitive to stuff going on with your PC it seems. Any kind of load seems to cause framerate problems. Forza Apex performance would deteriorate and improve with a reboot.

Top Bottom