• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Branson

Thank you Microsoft for bringing this beauty to PC. The game is amazing, runs on ultra 1080p 60 fps with no drops on a i5 6600K / RX 580. The sound is amazing and the image quality jaw dropping. It's a must buy for me.
It LOOKS good but too bad everything surrounding it could be better and kinda sucks.

eso76

Graphics settings (or at least model quality) seem a bit glitched.

Left is my own screenshot at fully maxed out settings on PC, right is the XB1X:
apSHsSB.png

Does Model Quality on FH3 go to Ultra? I seem to remember it being able to, but I can only go to High on FM7.

Right is from the pre race intro I assume ?
I don't think even the xb1x version uses lod0 models in-game, weird they didn't include the option on PC though, I think Apex and FH3 had it.
Probably a demo thing though

Mad1723

The talk of the FFB being bad is killing me. Is there some unwritten rule that all the really polished racers with good visuals have shit FFB?? I mean, what is the point? What is the point making a racing sim with shit FFB? All that attention to detail in other areas of the game for nothing. Waste of time.

It's awful. I was so excited when Fanatec announced they were collaborating with Turn10 on this! I bought a V2.5 recently, and I've been having a blast in iRacing and Assetto. I thought Forza 7 would be my Go-to for a more relaxed experience... But that feedback feels like driving with a 10 foot pole attached with dog turd. It's awful.

XBOX One impressions:

The demo graphics are actually pretty terrible. It's clear this game is waiting for the One X to drop. The Nuburgring graphics are especially dire. The cars look like they're floating on the road at the start due to extremely basic shadows, and textures look flat and lifeless.

The one redeeming part of the demo is that the lightning causes the cars to light up (a very cool effect), and driving semis is endlessly entertaining.

The Dubai track is like Seattle at rush hour, and was't fun in the slightest due to this.

I agree, bit of a letdown. Tracks and car models look nice, but they somehow seem detached. The fact that the game look ( too? ) clean makes it somehow look not very realistic. To me personally it feels very clinical, but I've played so much FH3 and had such a great time that it could also be that I'm burned out on realistic courses and racers.

anddo0

Yeah, same happened here. Are you running a new version of RTSS that supports UWP by any chance? Maybe turn it off. Doesn't do good things for UWP games imo.

UWP games seem to be very sensitive to stuff going on with your PC it seems. Any kind of load seems to cause framerate problems. Forza Apex performance would deteriorate and improve with a reboot.

I'm not running RTSS. I keep background programs to a bare minimal.

Feels like driving on ice.

I really want to like the Dubai circuit as it looks really nice, but I just can't. There's just no flow to it.

Yeah something seems off with the car handling.. Don't even try simulation steering at Nurburgring.

The Dubai track is nothing special.. Graphical showcase for the game.

Windows 10 store never fails to not impress.

When I click on install, the store app instantly crashes.

Updated Windows 10 and everything.

Come on Microsoft, get your act together. Reminds me of the crazy Gears 4 download problems last year.

F34R

Windows 10 store never fails to not impress.

When I click on install, the store app instantly crashes.

Updated Windows 10 and everything.

Come on Microsoft, get your act together. Reminds me of the crazy Gears 4 download problems last year.
I was lucky to get a good connection and uninterrupted download.

Melkaz

I've been a big Forza fan since Forza 2 and I played all of them since then using a controller.

However last month I bought myself a Thrustmaster T300 RS GT and moved from Project Cars to Assetto Corsa and now also F1 2017 so my impressions are a bit different now.

My feedback on this demo so far:

- Visuals are pretty damn sweet for on 1440p running a core I7 6700K + GTX 970.

- Besides the nice visuals I still get some minor hiccups but less than I had during Apex and FH3. Overall FPS is fine however. Such a shame that Forza games so far require so much tinkering with nvidia settings.

- No in game FPS counter?

- It's still a bit to easy to use the CPU as bumper cars and crash into them in corners, damage is really only registered if you crash into the walls even on Simulation setting.

- The Porsche is completely undriveable with my wheel. I played with FFD, wheel rotation, in game assists etc but nothing worked. Once I lost traction it became impossible to recover

- But surprisingly the Nissan GT3 controlled very decently with the wheel, maybe a bit too good? I had all assists off and besides missing some breaking points nothing bad happened. Maybe that's because I'm used to Assetto Corsa and F1 2017 where I still I mess up corners regularly (losing the back end etc. still learning every day driving with a wheel)

- I tabbed out to the Thrustmaster Control Panel and once I returned to the demo the game seems to had lost all FFD and the in game wheel did not turn in sync with my wheel.

Overall I think I'm gonna pass and stick to AC and F1 2017. Maybe I'll eventually get the Xbox version to play around with the controller, which always worked fine for me.

DarkestHour

Banned
FINALLY got it to work by setting Performance Target to 60. Game does not work right if you have a monitor that is 60Hz+

With that said, the game is maxing out two of my four physical cores. The other two do nothing.

The game also does not push my GPU whatsoever. Average of 60 Power % and 50 GPU Usage %.

Needs major work. Same issues Horizon had.

That is one fun and good looking demo!

Ran flawless 60fps for me at 1440p on the default dunamic settings. Didn't try anything else. 980ti and an ancient Xeon.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The only setting l tweaked was to target 60fps vsync and the resolution to 4k and that's it. Good performance out of the box.

LoveCake

Downloading it now, I have the UE on order, I only went in tonight to uninstall Forza Horizon 2, Fast and the Furious DLC and Forza 5 so I would have enough space for the Forza 7 full install.

Mascot

Benchmarked settings on my 980Ti and it looks pretty rough. I can run Horizon 3 At 4k/60/high but only manage 1080p with this demo, and that's with lod issues and texture pop. The rear lights on an R8 in front of me were big grey squares until i got pretty close. Very weird.

For people saying it runs sweet at X resolution - you are aware it runs dynamic settings by default and adjusts to maintain a target framerate?

Benchmarked settings on my 980Ti and it looks pretty rough. I can run Horizon 3 At 4k/60/high but only manage 1080p with this demo, and that's with lod issues and texture pop. The rear lights on an R8 in front of me were big grey squares until i got pretty close. Very weird.
The benchmark is messed up. Nothing I change can get it to drop below 60 BUT scenary starts disappearing if I force all max settings.FH3 doesn't run at 60fps at 4K on a 980Ti. Unless you're talking about some points in the open world.

Stevey

Runs fine on Xbox One, cant be bothered to attempt to deal with Windows Store tonight to try on PC.
Also, truck racing is dumb.

OK, just tested out the Dubai Full Circuit with a i7 4790K and GTX 1080ti. Managed to record with Shadow Play in Desktop mode with MSI Afterburner/RTSS overlay. Running the game at 4K60 (with DSR) with everything maxed out including AA.

The Good:
The game runs locked at 60FPS.
GPU utlilisation ranges from 43% (when driving alone) up to around 60% (on the starting grid), lowest was 40% in the tunnel alone.
The game runs smoothly with no frame pacing issues noted and the counter didn't stray from a 16.6ms frametime.
GPU memory usage is at 5837MB allocation so a 6GB card will do you fine for Ultra texture detail
Some people have mentioned lower clocked GPUs when playing the game, mine stayed locked at 1924Mhz

The Bad:
CPU optimisation needs work
Core 1 and 4 maxed out at 100% most of the time and others hovered around 20-25% including the virtual cores
Considering this is a DX12 game, I expected better CPU optimisation.

If you have a 980Ti, 1070 or better then 4K60 at Ultra won't be a problem (on this track) a 1060 6GB will also get you there with tweaked settings.
Personally, i'm not as blown away by the visuals as I was with FH3, I was expecting more.

Ok so I only recently got into PC gaming because I bought a rift. This will be the first non-VR thing I've downloaded and played on my PC. It's downloading at 75 mb/s and I'm amazed. I don't think I've ever seen something download that fast. Is that megabits or megabytes? I'm confused.

Mascot

The benchmark is messed up. Nothing I change can get it to drop below 60 BUT scenary starts disappearing if I force all max settings.FH3 doesn't run at 60fps at 4K on a 980Ti. Unless you're talking about some points in the open world.
Yes it does, with suitable tweaks. All the time. I have the fps counter on all the time.

Just forced 4k in this demo and it runs fine at Dubai. The benchmarking is nonsense. Looks MUCH better in 4k.

GTR handles great with the controller, truck too. That Porsche is garbage though, the truck handles better than it.

Yes!!! But I feel like that's just how porches handle in racing games, like garbage.

I really enjoyed the demo. I want to go in the game fresh on an Xbox X. I bought a 4k tv last summer, wanna finally put it to the test.

ISee

A GTX 1080 can push this demo to 4k, 4xMSAA, 60fps at max settings without any kind of problems. GPU load stays at around 50-70%, so there is even a lot of headroom left.
CPU load is a bit strange though. One Core gets hammered at 100% while the rest sits at 10-15% (7700k). The game needs ~4.7 GB of Vram and ~9.7 GB of memory.

Skyr

OK, just tested out the Dubai Full Circuit with a i7 4790K and GTX 1080ti. Managed to record with Shadow Play in Desktop mode with MSI Afterburner/RTSS overlay. Running the game at 4K60 (with DSR) with everything maxed out including AA.

The Good:
The game runs locked at 60FPS.
GPU utlilisation ranges from 43% (when driving alone) up to around 60% (on the starting grid), lowest was 40% in the tunnel alone.
The game runs smoothly with no frame pacing issues noted and the counter didn't stray from a 16.6ms frametime.
GPU memory usage is at 5837MB allocation so a 6GB card will do you fine for Ultra texture detail
Some people have mentioned lower clocked GPUs when playing the game, mine stayed locked at 1924Mhz

The Bad:
CPU optimisation needs work
Core 1 and 4 maxed out at 100% most of the time and others hovered around 20-25% including the virtual cores
Considering this is a DX12 game, I expected better CPU optimisation.

If you have a 980Ti, 1070 or better then 4K60 at Ultra won't be a problem (on this track) a 1060 6GB will also get you there with tweaked settings.
Personally, i'm not as blown away by the visuals as I was with FH3, I was expecting more.

Disabled Core 1 and almost every single stuttering is gone. There is still some there but it's better.

Same old ass fix that people used with Horizon 3 until Playground Games fixed it...two expansions later.

I can't believe they still didn't fix the terrible core optimisation. Holy shit.

paskowitz

Anyone getting really big framerate drops? I've done the benchmark a couple times now and my FPS is around 80 average but I get drops into the single digits!

You can't turn off the shaky cam?

It is literally a dealbreaker.

I saw some footage and immediately noticed that awful shaking cam. You d'expect something like that in NFS or something but in a game that pretends to be a sim?

There will be an option in the full game to turn this off or not? Because yeah, dealbreaker.

LoveCake

XBOX One impressions:

The demo graphics are actually pretty terrible. It's clear this game is waiting for the One X to drop. The Nuburgring graphics are especially dire. The cars look like they're floating on the road at the start due to extremely basic shadows, and textures look flat and lifeless.

The one redeeming part of the demo is that the lightning causes the cars to light up (a very cool effect), and driving semis is endlessly entertaining.

The Dubai track is like Seattle at rush hour, and was't fun in the slightest due to this.

This is why I want the demo, I have the UE on order, I have the feeling that this is going to be how Forza Horizon 2 was on the X360, which is why I ended up getting a Xbox One for the game (I did get the console at a huge discount though) but I won't be getting a Xbox S or Xbox X for this, I would have been happy with Forza Horizon 3 graphics, there wasn't anything wrong with Forza 6 imo.

Alebelly

For people saying it runs sweet at X resolution - you are aware it runs dynamic settings by default and adjusts to maintain a target framerate?

yes, I wouldn't try and run it at 4k otherwise. But it seems to stick to the target render, I haven't noticed any perceptible drops in IQ to offset performance loss, for me

Top Bottom