• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

PC impressions with the Thrustmaster T300 and assists off or on simulation:

- The Porsche is probably the most frustrating experience I had in a racing game. This car has no logic behind its reactions with full simulation or semi simulation settings in this game.

No issues with the Dubai track. I think that it will be fun to drive with others cars.

- Thank god there is the GT-R in the demo as the Porsche experience was awful and I have already preordered the ultimate edition. This car even with the tricky conditions of the demo has decent reactions and physics. Gives me hope for a good simcade car collectors game finally available on the PC.

The difference in the grip levels from dry to full wet at the Nürburgring GP circuit is good.

- The racing truck is OK. I don't plan to play with trucks at all in the game but maybe in a wider track they can be some fun.

dr_rus

Ran the benchmark on my 6850K/GTX1080, everything max, performance target dynamic:

2560x1440:
lO4c.png

4K:
mO4c.png

Safe to say that the demo is not very demanding (disregard the min fps, it's counting something which isn't there in the actual gameplay sequence) - but it remains to be seen if this will hold for the full game with 4K assets and other XBX improvements.

CPU isn't really being loaded either:

pO4c.png

But the game seems to put a lot of work in one thread as in both benchmark runs one "core" ran at ~80-100%. Seems like a waste for a DX12 engine. (Red rectangles are for the benchmark runs, 1440 first, 4K second.)

Seems to be support on latest Fall Creator Update builds.

Pjsprojects

Runs well for me. 2560×1080 at 60fps with the high dynamic setting.
All cpu cores around 30% but gpu at 100%
FX8350 & R9-290X installed on ssd.

The Porsche sucked, the other two were fun though. Especially the GTR in the rain!

Performance was really smooth in gameplay for me. Far better than Apex and H3. But the menus had some annoying stutter.

I thought gamepad controls worked fine, no different from 5/6, but I will definitely be adjusting the deadzones in the final game.

It sounds wonderful and rich. The audio, that is.

Oh, but the game crashes after the start-screen if I'm running RTSS.

Is anyone on the new Dash Preview having problems with the Demo on X1? It just crashed on me 3x in a row at the same spot in Dubai. Doing a hard restart now to see if that helps.

Sanjay

A few questions guys:-

What should the resolution scale be on?
What are you guys using to see FPS?

Nvidia Shadowplay doesn't seem to work I think.

KRaZyAmmo

I had fun with the truck racing and Nurburgring GP race (also played twice at PAX). But man that Porsche didn't feel good at all. But then again i had traction and stability control off.

kamspy

I feel like there is a LOT of assist when steering is set to 'Normal'. It's like I'm glued to the braking line, and I know I'm not that good.

Also, I'm having a really hard time getting my ass around in the GT-R...in the rain. Feels like a FWD.

There should be a transmission option that just gives you what the car has. Unless that 2018 911 really comes with a manual gearbox.

I wonder if there are nuances to the different automatic gearboxes. Will a PDK feel the same as a 'regular' automatic?

I'm also not digging the presentation. I like my mainline Forza games a little more clinical.

No perf problems on a OG Titan and 6600K 4.5ghz 16 GB. "Trusted" Turn10 and let the dynamic do it's thing. Playing on a 1080p TV. Looks great.

Wow. Just wow. Driveclub has finally been surpassed. This game's graphics, performance is absolutely stunning on my medium powered PC (1060/Xeon E3-1230V2 3.3 ghz).

Well done Turn 10.

lem0n

I can't believe how awful the GT2RS is. Like, wow, did they even test it? GTR and the truck were awesome fun. The truck, especially. Wasn't expecting that.

LoveCake

3. Can someone at Turn 10 explain to me how a RWD Nissan GT-R is easier to handle under HEAVY RAIN than a 911 on a hot track?

The Nissan GT-R is a proper race-car, the 911 is a road-car, a proper racing car will always feel better, once the 911 is tuned and made lighter then add sticky race tires it will be better.

It does make a difference on what options you have turned on/off and also your driving style, in the motorsport games I always use bumper-cam and I find it much better from that viewpoint.

Gek54

Whatever. You know there are lots of settings to adjust, yes?

The 911 feels like it has massive input lag on the steering in this demo.

Definitely much more lag than in Forza 6.

Hopefully this is just a demo issue.

Default wheel settings are turrible too, but I think I have them dialed in a bit and the FF effects are pretty damn good.

(Vanilla XBone Alpha Preview, TX Wheel v50)

Xyber

A few questions guys:-

What should the resolution scale be on?
What are you guys using to see FPS?

Nvidia Shadowplay doesn't seem to work I think.

At 100% resolution scaling it should run at whatever resolution you picked in the other tab.

willbsn13

I can't believe how awful the GT2RS is. Like, wow, did they even test it? GTR and the truck were awesome fun. The truck, especially. Wasn't expecting that.

Yup. I'd suggest everybody trying all the cars in the demo. Porsche is ugh but the Nissan and the Truck feel fantastic.

psychotron

Can someone tell me if this game uses a vignette type effect in the corners of the screen? I just rewound a spot and moved the camera, and in the sky I see noticeable dark diagonal edges, like the screen is darker in the corners. Before I launch this 900e out the window I'd love to know.

Is the Photo Mode active in the demo (Xbox version)?

Downloading now. Already have the Ultimate edition pre-ordered. Can't wait!

Klocker

game really is stunning looking, even on x1s

i have Pcars2 ordered so I will have to see how that holds up to this. may get both

Gestault

On vanilla XB1, this is still a significant visual improvement compared to what I expected based on Forza 6. I'm very impressed. The handling seems more quirky than it's been in previous games, and I realized partway through the races how the sounds from the car seem to give you more feedback than they had previously.

This is rad.

On vanilla XB1, this is still a significant visual improvement compared to what I expected based on Forza 6. I'm very impressed. The handling seems more quirky than it's been in previous games, and I realized partway through the races how the sounds from the car seem to give you more feedback than they had previously.

This is rad.

The joys of modelled driveline flex. R3E had this first and it was exactly like you say, it makes you "feel" what's going on more and the feedback makes everything make more sense. Knowing that FM7 simulates it too now puts it a league above the other driving games in my book.

Rizific

My goodness,the audio is just eargasmic. My first race had some rain action going on and it was it simply an experience. Forza on pc is literally a dream come true for me.

As someone who hasn't played any significant amount of the FH games, I really like where they've taken the motorsport games. I feel like the music is a vocalist short of an ok Jack White tribute act and that's not a bad thing. Makes a nice change from FM6. I also dig the aesthetic they have of presenting the cars and drivers in front of massive displays of the track.

Loading times on the Xbox One were a little on the long side if you already had your options dialed in. Engine audio seemed to cut out once or twice in spots.

The game is a lot of fun though. Those tire walls are a shame to have sadly.

Taking slow turns in a truck at 4th/5th gear feels so weird!

Klocker

ok second time through with the Porsche and was much better, getting used to it

also sound is improved over F6, especially in car, much more realistic and not just muted

Forza 7 is a stuttery mess for me.

Forza Horizon 3 plays well until the city bit and you can cap to 30fps for a consistent frame rate. With Forza 7, the menus and game will stutter no matter what settings or resolution. I tried the affinity trick but it didn't do anything. CPU is only being used about 38%. Setting Forza 7 to 30fps is still stutter city, huge frame drops in gameplay and menus.

GTX 1070. i7 930 So yeah FH3 is a dream compared to this even before the patches. Made sure game mode is off too.

vewn

Windows 10 store never fails to not impress.

When I click on install, the store app instantly crashes.

Updated Windows 10 and everything.

Come on Microsoft, get your act together. Reminds me of the crazy Gears 4 download problems last year.

Same issue.
Windows store is still garbage.

watership

Yeah, we need a tech thread already, no one is taking about the demo itself. Either that or break up the PC / Xbox threads.

dr_rus

Forza 7 is a stuttery mess for me.

Forza Horizon 3 plays well until the city bit and you can cap to 30fps for a consistent frame rate. With Forza 7, the menus and game will stutter no matter what settings or resolution. I tried the affinity trick but it didn't do anything. CPU is only being used about 38%. Setting Forza 7 to 30fps is still stutter city, huge frame drops in gameplay and menus.

GTX 1070. i7 930 So yeah FH3 is a dream compared to this even before the patches. Made sure game mode is off too.

Did you try setting your GPU to high performance and did you try running the default "dynamic" mode of graphical settings?

Carlius

Banned
windows 10 store speeds man...wtf...i downloaded this shit in like 2 mins..using my full speed..i thought the numbers were a lie lol

BlackAna

Neo Member
The game runs really well on my system: Eurocom Tornado F5 Laptop (GTX 1070, i7 6700k, 32gb ram). Base clocks on both gpu and cpu.

I am running 4k resolution with steady 60fps in game with everything max except MSAA which I put at 4x. Getting 97% max gpu usage (80 ish average), and 70ish CPU usage. I get 50fps in menus.

What is weird though is that when I play at 1080p with everything max, i sometimes get drops to 58fps. GPU Usage at 40ish percent and CPU at high 30s.

I guess I can't complain. I have a 1080p and not a 4k screen, so not sure if that affects anything, but since I get better aliasing and cleaner picture at 4k 4x than 1080p 8x, I'll be keeping it there.

edit:

Also performance target is set at 60fps (v-sync), anything else causes drops and stutters.

DSPEED

Didn't like the Porsche at all. Feels too heavy and understeers like crazy. The truck and GTR are great. Cockpit view in the GTR really gave me a great sense of acceleration. The game has a nice clean look, but a lot of the off track surfaces seem very flat and bland. The lighting and rain looked fantastic on the GTR race. Interested in seeing how it looks on the X.

This is just on the menu screen
KO4c.jpg

Frame time fluctuates from 65-33ms and jumps up to 100ms when initiating the menu screen.

The track menu where the driver is stood next to the car slightly swaying from side to side is literally a slide show.

Did you try setting your GPU to high performance and did you try running the default "dynamic" mode of graphical settings?

Yes. High Performance is always on and have tried running default dynamic and medium low settings at 720p.

Wedzi

Banned
On second and third playthrough I'm definitely more of a Horizon guy now these days lol. Rain looked nice though and I kind of enjoy the camera shakes. Makes the races feel more intense.

After an hour of fiddling around with the settings, I have to say the pc performance is phenomenal. Just for goofs I tried everything maxed, 8xMSAA and 5k resolution. It barely drops below 60fps on my 1080. I am deeply impressed!

Kaji AF16

I played through every demo event twice. My overall impressions are very positive and, even as a gigantic Forza follower, the gap between this and FM6 is greater than what I expected.

-The graphics are incredible even on my fat, launch Xbox One and my low-tier, 1080p, no-HDR Philips TV. I believe it will represent the pinnacle of the console alongside FH3 and Gears of War 4.
-The game feels more "visceral" than its predecessors, both in graphics (rattling parts, more dynamic transitions between cameras, a somewhat more intense sense of speed) and sound (which was already excellent in FM6). Forza needed this, specially now that it not only competes against the famously "sterile" GT, but also against a new generation of more "intense" racing games (Dirt Rally, Project Cars 1 & 2).
-I believe that ultimately it will be the best-reviewed game of the genre for this year. Possible weaknesses: no dynamic climate and day/night cycles on every track, relatively insignificant new content when compared to FM6.

I preordered the Ultimate version a few weeks ago and I am totally anxious for the final version.

PC here, the game runs really well for me. I must say that there is something different about this than previous. It feels a lot better IMO. The camera work seems different to me.

The game looks(4k HDR) and sounds absolutely amazing. It’s crazy how fast Turn 10 can do this. The dynamic weather and day cycles are very well implemented. Day 1 for sure.

Can’t wait for people to see this on XB1X.

Jealous of u guys! Sounds really good.
It is good. I’m really excited for this now.

I wish they depth of field blur was a separate toggle, I can run the game mostly on medium rather well but the DoF will make the pre race menu choppy and the main menu sluggish sometimes, I think it's tied to another visual option but not sure which one...

Can someone tell me if this game uses a vignette type effect in the corners of the screen? I just rewound a spot and moved the camera, and in the sky I see noticeable dark diagonal edges, like the screen is darker in the corners. Before I launch this 900e out the window I'd love to know.
It does and it will vary depending on which camera you pick, it's quite strong too.

Top Bottom