• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Played for only 20 mins last night and had it set at Ultra. Benchmark averaged 58fps. In game had multiple frame drops, even a 2-3 second complete lock up. Not sure whats up, I'll have to mess with it more tonight. I am running it off a 500GB WD Black drive, so not sure if using my SSD instead would help. I do love that this is a play anywhere title so if I can't get the PC to run consistently I'll just play on my Xbox.

1080p res
EVGA 1070
16Gb RAM

Mascot

Curse turn10 allowing children and those with physical disabilities to enjoy the game. Don't they realise that real racing drivers like thelastword here rely on Forza for their training for the next GP.

They are a nice inclusion, but having them all on by default at the start of the demo is a little weird (unless disabled people and infants are their target market of course).

Did you play with the FF effects at all?

I'm using a TX Wheel and found the default settings way too heavy.

I'm still playing with the sliders but so far these settings feel much better.

O454ADu.jpg

Yeah these worked out for me. Had to take the vibration scale down to 20 and I upped the ffb scale to 50 brcause I wanted a bit more resistance.

Dont know what was going in with those default settings. Maybe they are aimed at older wheels, because it mad my newer wheel undrivable.

They are a nice inclusion, but having them all on by default at the start of the demo is a little weird (unless disabled people and infants are their target market of course).

You can turn them off before you even start a race. To complain about this is just looking for something to bitch about.

derFeef

Eh, if you play those games all the time the first thing you do is look into the assists. The demo let's you do that before even starting a race.

MaLDo

I fixed my stuttering problems setting max frames ahead to 1 and vsync mode to fastsync in the nvidia profile and forcing higher priority for the game in project lasso ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Certinty

Honestly the Forza Motorsport series hasn't been a sim for a long time. The last one that was even close to being a sim was 2 I think.

But that doesn't really stop the games from being good. If anything these games have found a market for players who want a simcade racing game. That's what the GTR race in the demo is best at, it highlights everything Forza Motorsport is and it's a great showcase of the game. The weather effects are stunning, the car controls like you would expect in a FM game and it's fun.

As for the Porsche race I am totally confused what the hell that was, it doesn't even play like a FM game. Hopefully it's some sort of error but if not I wonder what that was all about? The truck race was pretty boring, wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be a useless addition to the series.

On the Xbox One S the game looks and performs great. I played 6 a few days ago and was surprised at how 'bad' it looked, this looks like a huge upgrade. One of the best looking games I've played on the Xbox One.

Visual damage once again seems quite lame which is a shame because for mechanical damage Forza has always been one of the better racing games. I mean if I crash a car into a barrier at 150mph I want more than just a little dent.

Not convinced about the AI either. Hard to completely judge from a few races but even with the aggression unlimited they're still pretty meh. On the other hand they at least they seem a fair bit better than 6 not that it's saying much.

Last note is the loading times were pretty bad. I don't remember it being this bad in 6 so maybe it's something that will be improved in the full game. But if not given the whole package I might consider cancelling my preorder.

Mascot

You can turn them off before you even start a race. To complain about this is just looking for something to bitch about.

Eh, if you play those games all the time the first thing you do is look into the assists. The demo let's you do that before even starting a race.

The demo might be for people who've never played the game before? People who just start it up and jump right in?

Are you both seriously saying that it's a good idea having the game steer and brake for you by default? I find that very odd.

Gek54

I dont get the complaints with the physics. Dubai has a lot of character, its a complex and demanding course with lots of undulations that would unsettle any car especially a rear engine. To me the physics of the Porsche feel incredible and the force feedback is better than ever, I have no issues driving it at full simulation settings and all aids turned off.

Hopefully Turn10 doesn't try to dumb it down over these complaints, maybe it needs a Porsche driving school.

derFeef

The demo might be for people who've never played the game before? People who just start it up and jump right in?

Are you both seriously saying that it's a good idea having the game steer and brake for you by default? I find that very odd.

I personally think it's not a good idea, but conflicted about it if people play a racing game for the first time. Two sides to the same question...

Skyr

I fixed my stuttering problems setting max frames ahead to 1 and vsync mode to fastsync in the nvidia profile and forcing higher priority for the game in project lasso ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I fixed Horizon 3 in a similar way for me but this really shouldn't be necessary.
I really hope they will address this until release but I doubt it.

Alebelly

To be fair, I understand what Forza is and is attempting do. Porsche is odd in its handling, but its characteristics according to Forza aren't far from the beaten path. It runs great at dynamic 4k on my PC. If you're a Forza fan you're in for another well-produced, highly- competent game.

The benchmark starts dropping geometry completely when trying to maintain 60fps (noticeable when I try for 4K Ultra). The game however, will drop below 60 at 4K Ultra for me (980Ti). It's almost like the dynamic settings work in the benchmark but not in game??

I really don't understand the dynamic settings put into Forza games. They just flatout don't work. They didn't work in Apex or FH3 and they don't work in this. If they did work, dynamic would always give the best results.

danowat

Banned
I dont get the complaints with the physics. Dubai has a lot of character, its a complex and demanding course with lots of undulations that would unsettle any car especially a rear engine. To me the physics of the Porsche feel incredible and the force feedback is better than ever, I have no issues driving it at full simulation settings and all aids turned off.

Hopefully Turn10 doesn't try to dumb it down over these complaints, maybe it needs a Porsche driving school.

Dumb down probably isn't the right turn of phrase, made more realistic would be more appropriate.

I am not sure if it's still the case, but weren't the physics in (previous versions) just chucked out by an algorithm and weren't tuned by a person on a car by car basis?

Certinty

I think the bigger issue is the disparity. Driving a Porsche on the dry roads of Dubai shouldn't be so much harder than a GT-R in heavy rain, should it?

Gek54

God damn this is a pretty game! From that opening attract screen, to the menus, and especially in game dubai - It's stunning. VERY much looks like the x1x version I've been drooling over in media (Though I'm sure that version is superior under closer analysis).

But the Porsche understeers like a pig.

And I'm still (greatly) concerned about the dynamic weather and time for tracks. Is dubai going to be completely static? What other tracks have or do not have any combination of time or weather? After spending quite a bit of time with pcars1, this is something I really don't want to go without or in some limited fashion.

I did notice that Dubai has dynamic cloud shadows.

Mascot

I personally think it's not a good idea, but conflicted about it if people play a racing game for the first time. Two sides to the same question...

I can't remember - did FM6 (the full game, not demo) still send you into a compulsory unskippable race with auto-steer and auto-brake forced on by default? That was always a curiosity. Frustrating for seasoned players and gave a false impression of the handling for newbies. Did Turn 10 ever explain why they did this?

Wonder if FM7 will do it as well?

derFeef

I can't remember - did FM6 (the full game, not demo) still send you into a compulsory unskippable race with auto-steer and auto-brake forced on by default? That was always a curiosity. Frustrating for seasoned players and gave a false impression of the handling for newbies. Did Turn 10 ever explain why they did this?

That's with every Forza game now and annoying as hell - I think we all agree on this ;)

Kambing

I have a C7 also.

What NV drivers are you on? And why can't you use PC mode?

Sorry this is on my B7, but should not make a difference. Both my B7/C7 are on 3.06.09, the latest one available. USA byw. In PC mode, HDR really messes up the color space. My calibrator thinks its a bug, with the set still pushing full 4:4:4 chroma but the HDR signal being sent is 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 8/10 bit. Just set the mode to HDR Game and turn on dynamic contrast to low. Temperature should be W45 which is close to D65 and set the color to 47, and extended gamut.

The thing is, it has to make sense.

I also love arcade games and it´s physics are fun when they make sense. As for simulators, it´s pretty easy, it´s it resembles real life it makes sense.

The problem it´s when is neither, like Forza for me.

It sucks because considering this is the only carpg in the market and now it´s finally on PC i really wanted to have fun with this one, but with all the settings i´ve tried i just can´t drive the cars because i have no idea what makes sense in their physics model.

I looked up and apparently you have to change everything on the steering deadzones to make it work. I´ll report later, but it should play just fine out of the box.

I kind soul should post usable G25/G27 settings here, assists off and simulation settings.

Gestault

You're really, really laboring this point in a way that's obtuse (people who play this genre regularly know to adjust settings to their taste when they start a game up for the first time, and even this demo lets you do that). Your hand-wringing about default settings (ignoring the reality that the default setup should serve the widest range of people) gives the impression that you're somehow unable to overcome the impossible task of "changing a setting," despite you obviously being someone familiar enough to tailor to your taste.

Do you honestly, seriously think it's weird to have assist settings on by default? Something worth your consternation?

Gek54

I think the bigger issue is the disparity. Driving a Porsche on the dry roads of Dubai shouldn't be so much harder than a GT-R in heavy rain, should it?

GT-R is front engine so it's going to be easier to manage and regain control from a slide. How many rear engine drift cars have you seen?

You could turn it off after the race started, the fact that you can do it before you even get to the track is an improvement.

But to make a fuss about it anyway is really silly. Your going to go into the settings anyway to change it from automatic to manual.

Voidwolf

FH3 was designed for 30fps, so of course it will look better than the Forza designed for 1080p/60 on console.

I'm talking about visuals, not performance. The benchmark for this game gave me an average of 71 fps which is more than comfortable and FH3 averages well above 144 ony my PC, in any case I wasn't referring to that. The demo ran fine, it just looks ugly.

Spasm

You could turn it off after the race started, the fact that you can do it before you even get to the track is an improvement.

But to make a fuss about it anyway is really silly. Your going to go into the settings anyway to change it from automatic to manual.
Man, I really miss Profile Defaults from the 360. Such a great feature that was cut from the One for no apparent reason.

Mascot

You're really, really laboring this point in away that's obtuse (people who play this genre regularly know to adjust settings to their taste when they start a game up for the first time, and even this demo lets you do that). Your hand-wringing about default settings (ignoring the reality that the default setup should serve the widest range of people) gives the impression that you're somehow unable to overcome the impossible task of "changing a setting."

Do you honestly, seriously think it's weird to have assist settings on by default?

Assists like ABS and TC... no.

Self-drive assists like auto-steer and auto-brake... of course!

horkrux

I'm talking about visuals, not performance. The benchmark for this game gave me an average of 71 fps which is more than comfortable and FH3 averages well above 144 ony my PC, in any case I wasn't referring to that. The demo ran fine, it just looks ugly.

That's because A the game seems to be capped at half your 144Hz refresh rate and B its multi-threading seems to be worse than the patched FH3

eso76

demo downloaded faster than i thought

i7 5820
32GB DDR4
GTX 970

perfectly smooth, no hiccups or dropped frames on any track.
Can look quite fantastic. Dubai especially.

Something wrong with the models, apparently changing between dynamic and high does nothing.
Tried waiting 10 mins on Nurb GP to see if the sun would finally set or weather would change again, but nope.
Physics i have no idea, i've been using a keyboard :p

Gestault

I'll have some performance stats from my i7 6700/GTX 1070/16gb DDR4 build. I had generally good luck with Apex (though before it was patched, I ran up against the early memory leak stutter) and a good experience with Horizon 3 (perfect since the pre Hot Wheels patch, but unacceptably stuttery in downtown beforehand).

I dont either. No assist sim steering is how I always play, and some say its impossible to drive. Its hard but challenging, makes other games seem easy by comparison.

Sorry this is on my B7, but should not make a difference. Both my B7/C7 are on 3.06.09, the latest one available. USA byw. In PC mode, HDR really messes up the color space. My calibrator thinks its a bug, with the set still pushing full 4:4:4 chroma but the HDR signal being sent is 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 8/10 bit. Just set the mode to HDR Game and turn on dynamic contrast to low. Temperature should be W45 which is close to D65 and set the color to 47, and extended gamut.

What NV drivers are you on?

ss_lemonade

Played for only 20 mins last night and had it set at Ultra. Benchmark averaged 58fps. In game had multiple frame drops, even a 2-3 second complete lock up. Not sure whats up, I'll have to mess with it more tonight. I am running it off a 500GB WD Black drive, so not sure if using my SSD instead would help. I do love that this is a play anywhere title so if I can't get the PC to run consistently I'll just play on my Xbox.

1080p res
EVGA 1070
16Gb RAM
Same issue here with a 3570k and a 1080ti. I only tried 4k though but had way too much stuttering and hitches. The menu also froze on me for more than 5 seconds.

Is there a way to enable HDR on a PC? I don't think I saw the option anywhere

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Only had time to briefly test early this morning.

-Default assists are out of control. Just wanted to test performance before digging in later, but yeesh.
-performance ran perfectly for me on Ultra(GTX 1080/6700-k/16gb Ram)
-21:9 support required setting to default monitor scale, but HUD remained 16:9. I assume this will be different in final game.
-Themed races are nice. Hope the campaign is full of it.
-Xbone pad trigger rumble was intense.

Will test proper wheel support and with assists off later.

Bydobob

Stuttery as hell, despite a locked 60fps. Frametimes are skipping all over the place, dropping to 15ms and back up to 18 with everything in between. This is with a 6700k/GTX 1080 at max settings (not dynamic) at 1440p.

Only played with a controller so far but that Porsche is a pig to steer. Not holding out much hope my G27 will be much better. Really bad demo, what were T10 thinking.

xrnzaaas

People crying about assists on a demo? lol

Demos are always fucking easy

The full game will be the same because most (if not all) assists are on by default in Forza games and I also heard something about a new one which improves laptimes drastically when it's on. It's a game that needs to be popular among the casual players, they can't have their first race bouncing from one wall to another. ;) The demo allows to disable all assists, HUD etc. if you want to, nothing different there.

Skyr

Stuttery as hell, despite a locked 60fps. Frametimes are skipping all over the place, dropping to 15ms and back up to 18 with everything in between. This is with a 6700k/GTX 1080 at max settings (not dynamic) at 1440p.

Only played with a controller so far but that Porsche is a pig to steer. Not holding out much hope my G27 will be much better. Really bad demo, what were T10 thinking.

Try to disable core0 and core3 in the task manager.
These 2 threads max out at 100% while the others chill. I read them out with msi afterburner.

Worked for me to reduce microstuttering.

Voidwolf

That's because A the game seems to be capped at half your 144Hz refresh rate and B its multi-threading seems to be worse than the patched FH3

I don't see what that has to do with the sub par textures and models but okay. The demo looks older than FH3.

Luckydog

AK runs at 90fps today. How about the console versions? ;)

Of course, when all is working pc is superior. But to say only Win store games are broken on PC is wrong. Lots of games are broken on PC at launch or PC and console. AC: Unity and No Man Sky are examples of games that were broken on both, although my personal experience is it was worse on PC. It is just not a win store or UWP thing.

Fox Mulder

People crying about assists on a demo? lol

Demos are always fucking easy

The full game will be the same way, past games forced you to finish the first race before changing settings though. Don't know why they can't just use a profile from previous games for those that have played them.

Instead of baby assists, I wish they had a school you had to pass first to play online.

Top Bottom