• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My wife told me tonight she wants a divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Been in the same situation decades ago. Turned out she was chatting with a dude online (it was that time when ICQ was hot), out of the blue she decided to end our relation and move overseas to live with that guy. I went through all the 5 stages of grief.

It wasn't easy, but I had friends (with rotation I sleep at their places). When alone, I watched alot of funny stuff on TV. One day I received a call when I was cleaning my place, it was a friend I knew since I was little. We clicked somehow, 6 months later I was married and decided to move overseas.

My ex is divorced 2 times now, under plenty anti-depression pills. Sometimes you don't have to jump of a cliff to verify if it's deadly or not. Never leave a healthy relationship thinking there is something better out there. Of course there is always something better, but it doesn't mean you fit in.

So it will take time, but this is not end. It's a new beginning, just like learning again how to crawl, walk, then run when we were babies...

Good food for thought. There IS something better, but doesn't mean you should go looking if what you have is great. I mean there's a fine balance between always striving to do better in anything In life and actually being content with what you have.

EVIL

Not sure if you can take solace in the thought that some day she will rue the day she fucked up the relation and wished she could take things back. lets hope when this does, you moved on so you can give her a cold shoulder.

How does it work where someone says they love you but want to split from you? Like to me they seem incompatible, but maybe I have a very simple view of love. I could not imagine leaving someone that I genuinly loved.

Not sure if you can take solace in the thought that some day she will rue the day she fucked up the relation and wished she could take things back. lets hope when this does, you moved on so you can give her a cold shoulder.

What's the point of even saying this? Yeah, getting back at the people who hurt us are fine for a little while but it doesn't make the pain go away.

Sometimes you just have to accept that things are shitty and move on with your own life, and stop worrying about the people who obviously don't give a shit about you.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

You can still love your ex and wish her happiness despite both of you moving on. Wishing her misery for all time isn't really healthy.

Verelios

What's the point of even saying this? Yeah, getting back at the people who hurt us are fine for a little while but it doesn't make the pain go away.

Sometimes you just have to accept that things are shitty and move on with your own life, and stop worrying about the people who obviously don't give a shit about you.
Pretty much this. I've frequently felt heated in the moment and lashed out or said something I shouldn't have to an ex only to regret it later. It's a moments pleasure for a memory of regret. It's just not worth it on any scale, go on with your life and be happy. They're obviously going to do the same. If you can't wish them the best then don't, just be sure to enjoy life.

Their ups and downs shouldn't vindicate your relationship. You know what kind of lover you were and their life being shitty or great won't change that. Life knocks you down but you just gotta keep on going.

Jombie

Something is going on other than her desire for a clean break. It's not like you can't change careers while in a marriage, especially when you don't have kids.

oneils

Don't move out.
Get your pay cheque moved to another bank into account only you have access to.
Move your savings to another account that she can't access.
May want to consider carrying a recording device on you 24/7 only to protect yourself from abuse allegations, not to use as evidence in the divorce
Stop paying her bills.
Get your name off any titles to cars you don't want to be entangled with
Get her name off any titles to cars you don't want to give her
Talk to a real estate agent about selling the house.
Do not sign divorce papers until you are completely disentangled financially - until all of this is done.

Good luck.

Edit: do not divide assets until it's in writing in a settlement. Don't give her any money or assets until it's clear. No money.

Vitten

Wouldn't be surprised if you find out she's been sneaking around your back and has been making plans online with some guy.
Probably an old flame she reconnected with on Facebook or whatever.

Seen it a million times around me, social media is a real homewrecker.

I went through a divorce myself. Get a good lawyer and a good theripist. I had anger issues for awhile even though my divorce was a mutual thing.

norinrad

This always breaks my heart. Hang in there and just try to go through the motions. Better days ahead. Just don't do anything silly.

What do people mean when they say they want to find themselves?
It's often a sign of impending depression, if not a full-on manifestation. My mom had a similar breakdown right before my parents split up, so what OP is saying here sounds very familiar to me.

I'm sorry that happened to you, OP. Surround yourself with people who care about you. Allow yourself to feel like shit for a while. You'll get up again and be stronger.

maomaoIYP

How does it work where someone says they love you but want to split from you? Like to me they seem incompatible, but maybe I have a very simple view of love. I could not imagine leaving someone that I genuinly loved.
It's simple. What they really mean is "I love you, but not more than I love me."
Whether this sentiment is right is debatable, but to take action from it is a different thing.

Fliesen

There's a few people i love dearly (my best buddy, my family), but wouldn't want to spend each and every day with them.

It's a shame that these kinds of threads often devolve into assumptions that there's "someone else". Sure, that may be the case sometimes. But i don't have a hard time grasping that someone would look at their life saying: "This is the trajectory my life is heading for, and while it's not bad, per se, it's not where i see myself wanting to go." And some simply need a cleaner break than others, as to prevent themselves from falling back into old habits, essentially rendering the course correction moot.

I do not think this is a weird reason, but of course i feel for you OP, i can only imagine how heartbroken you must be, if there really hasn't been any previous signs.
I've been heartbroken before, and i couldn't understand the reasoning at that time, but looking back, i've grown to realize that the person who broke up with me certainly had a point.

The best advice is probably: Don't get too drunk, contact a lawyer. :/

If you're still reading OP...
1. Don't blame yourself. Divorces happen, people change
2. Talk to a lawyer. Even if you don't hire them, have a consultation and listen to the advice they give. I did all the paperwork and represented myself in my divorce, but the lawyer I talked to was essential in understanding my rights and responsibilities
3. Ignore every person on here saying she found someone else. It's pointless conjecture and just as likely not true.
4. Even in the most amicable divorce... things can and probably will get ugly. You'll question how this person you loved so much could hurt you so badly. Just remember not to blame yourself. Be strong and it gets better eventually.

Many of us have been there my friend. It's a shitty thing and the process, even without kids, is hard. But it gets better.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Don't stay in GAF, OP. Stay with closest friends and families, they're the ones who can help you the most during times like these.

My condolences man, stay strong.

did you see this coming? [honestly]

she said straight up divorce, not separation first or anything?

read Divoce Busting and Divorce Remedy, then send me a PM for some support resources [my wife separated from me six months ago, but i've managed to win her back so hit me up if you want some help with anything really i'm passionate about this shit].

maxcriden

Pinky, I am so sorry to hear it man. I always have had an impression of you as a really genuine and kind person for your posts, so I'm certain that things will get better for you just from being yourself.

You make a thread, then 30 post down you say you will take a break from gaf?

He's wife of 11 years just asked for a divorce. He clearly isn't in a good place right now. He made a thread on a message board he frequents to vent and probably wasn't sure why he should do with himself. Who the fuck cares that he decided to then take a break from GAF? Cut him some slack.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It will take time, but you will heal.

What's strange is that you describe 11 years of perfection. She seems to have feel trapped.

Did you get married young?

Advice to young people. Don't get married young.

He's wife of 11 years just asked for a divorce. He clearly isn't in a good place right now. He made a thread on a message board he frequents to vent and probably wasn't sure why he should do with himself. Who the fuck cares that he decided to then take a break from GAF? Cut him some slack.

I'm sorry, I should have thought my comment through.

The only thing that made me wonder about the OP is no kids equals marriage is holding back her career and ambitions.

...What exactly is?
I don't get it also. If you got no kids, I take it both are working. So... what exactly is the problem. It's 2017, married people both have successful careers plenty of times.

Sounds like there is some meddling going on, either from coworkers, friends, someone interested in her, etc. Grass is allays greener + some reinforcement from her environment egging her on. Seen it a few times with relationships.

GlamFM

Banned
OP, there is another guy.

She might convince you there is not, you might be convinced there is not, but there is.

It is very important you talk about it now.

Because right now she lives in a world of secrecy you are not a part of.

And that makes it easier for her. Because she has been there for a while.
Without you.

You need to be in the same place to actually talk.

Get her to tell you the truth.

Not saying it will fix anything, but it will make the next months easier to take.

Trust me.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Sorry you're going through this. Take the advice here with a considerable gran of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom