• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on Switch stock: We dramatically overdelivered.And yet, demand outpaces supply

MrNelson

Banned
I feel like people are really reading way too much into this in an attempt to find some reason to throw shade. Like, the "overdelivered" line is directly referencing the low analyst expectations and Nintendo's original plan to ship only 2 million units. They ended up shipping almost a million more than expected and the demand is still much higher than anticipated, so stock is still low. It doesn't really seem like an outrageous comment to me.
Not to mention all of this has been happening while they've been competing with Apple for parts.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Honestly what a corporate moron. Sorry if people like him but I hate anyone who talks like he does.

Whats wrong with what he said ? Its a fact people has very low expectation of it. Were you around neogaf when they officially announces it?

Honestly what a corporate moron. Sorry if people like him but I hate anyone who talks like he does.

Really?? Is this necessary? Corporate moron??

The supply chain issues for the tech have been a problem for all mobile hardware developers all year. The Nintendo Wii U sold under expectation, so any responsible company would allocate projected stock of the unproven hardware appropriately...numbers they have to determine far in advance. And, not to mention, there are only a limited number of manufacturers who can crank out this stuff at the speed and quality that meets their standards. AND trying to juggle worldwide demand by putting the right amount in the best places at the right time.

Oh yeah, from a device that even fans had very little faith in because it didn’t match up to the HD twins spec wise. So yeah, that Nintendo ordered nearly a MILLION more than
Analysts advised...

It’s a testament to how wel the system is doing and how Nintendo smartly manages their business.

There’s a LOT of moving parts. You’d have to be pretty far from a moron to organize all this plus run the other matters of Nintendo’s businesses. Just saying...

Renna Hazel

I feel like people are really reading way too much into this in an attempt to find some reason to throw shade. Like, the "overdelivered" line is directly referencing the low analyst expectations and Nintendo's original plan to ship only 2 million units. They ended up shipping almost a million more than expected and the demand is still much higher than anticipated, so stock is still low. It doesn't really seem like an outrageous comment to me.

Yeah, people just need a reason for Nintendo outrage. It's very clear what he's saying here. It's not PR BS. He's saying they shipped more than the initial production line of 2 million.

Let's also not forget how many people thought the Switch was dead on arrival. Those same people are now the ones claiming Nintendo was dumb for underestimating demand.

Oreoleo

Context is for chumps!!

WestEgg

Reggie: "Hey the sun i shining. What a nice weather we got!"
"Omg shut up Reggie!"

Yeah, I don't get the Reggie hate. He says exactly what the press needs to hear, and has to put on a brave face and bear it when NCL throws out a stupid decision he has to stick to.

I don't get the sarcastic or cynical replies. There's nothing Reggie says in this interview (or most, honestly) that seems unreasonable. Dude gets far more hate than he deserves.
I want to buy a Switch and I can't so i will take to the forums and be angry about it.

Renna Hazel

Yeah, I don't get the Reggie hate. He says exactly what the press needs to hear, and has to put on a brave face and bear it when NCL throws out a stupid decision he has to stick to.

This is the result of people reading a headline without any context and responding with silly rage.

Aren't they supply constrained because of the epic battle for RAM in the electronics industry these days?

On that note fuck current RAM prices, 130 for 16 GB is bananas

Vildiil

I had been trying to get a switch since release and just got mine over the weekend. Was first time I'd seen it in stock. Now is the time to buy before holidays.

Wamb0wneD

I don't get the sarcastic or cynical replies. There's nothing Reggie says in this interview (or most, honestly) that seems unreasonable. Dude gets far more hate than he deserves.

It's because as soon some people see Reggie in the thread title they seem to boot up a word document to choose from some generic posts and mindlessly press the reply button afterwards. Context/what's being said doesn't matter.

Giolon

"The only problem with Nintendo Switch sales is that..... they're too good."

4ekmBMc.png

Yesssssssss.

Acrylic7

Last week I finally saw one in store for the first time. So tempted but I'm waiting on Xenoblade. Hopefully we get a special edition Switch near Christmas.

Armaros

Aren't they supply constrained because of the epic battle for RAM in the electronics industry these days?

They are competing with Apple over the same parts that are being bottlenecked.

And considering this is Apple, they get first priority.

marcod

Sounds perfectly reasonable. They thought it would sell less, it didn't, now they need to play catch up. I don't blame them for playing it safe after the disappointing sales of the Wii U.

Wamb0wneD

This is fairly typical Reggie isn't it. The dude has been a A-grade bullshit artist ever since he came to Nintendo. Part of the job I guess.

Can you show me where he's bullshitting? They said they are going to ship 2 million first and shipped 2.8 million instead. And that analysts said they should be cautious with shipping after the Wii U and the abysmal reaction to their January Event isn't farfetched either.

RagnarokX

Out of context Reggie's quote sounds stupid. The full context is:

The company made 2 million units available at launch, despite, Fils-Aime said, analyst recommendations that demand would be much lower.

"We actually sold through almost 2.8 million units, so we dramatically over delivered. And yet, demand outpaces supply,"

In other words, Nintendo planned to make 2 million units at launch despite analysts recommendations; Nintendo overdelivered on that 2 million unit goal with 2.8 million instead and still couldn't meet demand.

If you're out of stock you didn't really "overdeliver" now did you.
yes im salty

When the Wii was hard to find/out of stock yet still breaking sales records every month, which means there were more Wii consoles available than any other console, then yeh, that's kind of 'overdelivering'.

Trup1aya

I think it's safe to say video game analysts are morons.

It's like all of their forecasts are based solely on trailing indicators. I'm still waiting for that industry collapse they predicted due to PS3 and Xbox 360 sales slowing down.

Yes, they over delivered on analyst expectations... but they don't have a clue what to expect.

Dre3001

It's so clear to see who actually read the original post and not just the headline.

Reggie clearly says they "Overdelivered" in the sense that Nintendo shipped 2.8 million instead of their original planned amount of 2 million.

He isn't saying that stock wasn't a problem. He is only stating that they shipped more than they planned too originally and it still wasn't enough.

Hoje0308

Banned
There’s a LOT of moving parts. You’d have to be pretty far from a moron to organize all this plus run the other matters of Nintendo’s businesses. Just saying...

But a moron would try to reduce management of all those moving parts to a simple "LOL stupid suit" type comment on a message board.

I feel like people are being intentionally obtuse.

Everyone was saying, "2 million is way too much, especially after the Wii U disaster. Switch gonna bomb yo!"

Nintendo shipped 2.8 million anyway.

And even that wasn't enough.

So as far as all the experts believed, Nintendo way overdelivered. But sometimes you just smack a home run like the Switch and you have to play catch up.

Again, the idea that Nintendo is artificially inducing shortages is laughable.

ggx2ac

Technically, it's that manufacturers winded down on the type of RAM used in PCs so that they could increase production on RAM used in Smartphones for the upcoming holidays, so Nintendo isn't really affected there like PC graphics cards are.

They are competing with Apple over the same parts that are being bottlenecked.

And considering this is Apple, they get first priority.

This is happening again and it's feeling like a buzzword...

There's always huge demand from Smartphone makers for parts, the problem is the supply of NAND flash memory, the point is that scarcity has been exacerbated this year because of companies using NAND chips for servers like Amazon and companies getting into IoT.

So again, it's no longer just about companies with smartphones and tablets, but also companies that have loads of servers to store huge amounts of data.

RagnarokX

I feel like people are being intentionally obtuse.

Everyone was saying, "2 million is way too much, especially after the Wii U disaster. Switch gonna bomb yo!"

Nintendo shipped 2.8 million anyway.

And even that wasn't enough.

So as far as all the experts believed, Nintendo way overdelivered. But sometimes you just smack a home run like the Switch and you have to play catch up.

Again, the idea that Nintendo is artificially inducing shortages is laughable.

It's such a crazy idea. Wii was the fastest selling console ever, which means for that to be the case they had to be producing more units at a faster pace than any other console in history. Yet people think they induced shortages.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think it's safe to say video game analysts are morons.

It's like all of their forecasts are based solely on trailing indicators. I'm still waiting for that industry collapse they predicted due to PS3 and Xbox 360 sales slowing down.

Yes, they over delivered on analyst expectations... but they don't have a clue what to expect.

They probably based their analysis on neogaf 😂

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
He's not wrong, no idea why some are jumping at his neck.

Why does Reggie exist
Well, you see, when a man and a woman love each other very much...

this sort of attitude bodes well for the SNES classic

That was my first thought.

My second thought was, 'man, I'd love to see him change companies and start shilling for Sony or MS, just to see fanboys go mental'

My third thought was, 'I'm just tired of this guy. I'd say it was Nintendo as a whole's ridiculousness, but Nintendo Europe seem to be running things competently compared to NoA'

Top Bottom