• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I receive an ordered to appear for a hearing ...

ash321

OP, its just me, but I'd get that picture off the net right now.

It has way too much personalized information for you and it also gives when, where, and that you'll be testifying in a criminal trial. This isn't Facebook, for sure, but it still is an unneeded risk.

Lastly, just call the number with any questions. You'll find court staff very helpful on the whole.
I'll take it down in a sec. Just want people to see the letter so they have an idea what my situation look like.
As serious as this could be, I feel like you need to go to class after reading some of your sentences lol.

I have a test at 12:45 .....
why would you even ask us and not just call the number on the letter? You might want to investigate because in my county, officers have to deliver criminal subpoenas.

Also I found this in the Pennsylvania codehttp://www.pacode.com/secure/data/231/chapter200/s234.2.html
Already try, they closed for the day.

Maybe that's why they send two of the same letter.

thinking emoji.jpeg

Courts are usually open during business hours so I doubt you'll get anyone tomorrow. Also, you might want to check to make sure that address corresponds to that court. Sometimes there are subpoena phishing scams so you just wanna verify. Maybe look up the number for the county court online and make sure it matches.

Edit: Yeah also unless it deals with minors or some special circumstances, shit is public and there's usually posted dockets online with all that info.

If it is a real court order then you have to go or the judge can issue a warrant for your arrest.

ash321

Courts are usually open during business hours so I doubt you'll get anyone tomorrow. Also, you might want to check to make sure that address corresponds to that court. Sometimes there are subpoena phishing scams so you just wanna verify. Maybe look up the number for the county court online and make sure it matches.

Some people in this thread already check that (Thanks guy)

And it's legit.

Moppeh

Banned
I too agree that OP should do the sensible thing and delete all this shit and just call the proper authorities so he knows what to do.

This stuff is fascinating. Never in my life have I gone, "this looks serious and I know nothing about it, better consult the off topic section of a video game forum."

ash321

I too agree that OP should do the sensible thing and delete all this shit and just call the proper authorities so he knows what to do.

This stuff is fascinating. Never in my life have I gone, "this looks serious and I know nothing about it, better consult the off topic section of a video game forum."

I mean, I know that I didn't do anything wrong. The letter got my last name wrong. They send 2 letters instead of 1. It didn't feel that important to be honest.
And yes, this is the 1st time I see the word Subpoena.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Saw something on "reception of stolen property", so have you noticed anything stolen that might have some sort of serial numbers on it?

Moppeh

Banned
I mean, I know that I didn't do anything wrong. The letter got my last name wrong. They send 2 letters instead of 1. It didn't feel that important to be honest.

I didn't mean to talk shit or anything, I just legitimately find it interesting how so many people seem to turn to here so quickly, be it for legal or medical stuff.

If you get a subpoena, and this goes for everyone, first google the court and make sure you’re calling either the court itself or the district attorney, there are scams out there that use fake numbers. If you call the court, the only thing they will likely do is to tell you to come in on the day listed, so in a criminal case like this one, I would call the prosecutors office and see if they subpoenaed you and try to figure out what the deal is. If you just got it for the 26th, that is pretty poor work by them, but I’ve done that before myself. If you are the wrong person or it turns out you don’t have anything to offer, and it happens, then they can release you via the phone. Good luck, but please comply or call in.

ash321

I didn't mean to talk shit or anything, I just legitimately find it interesting how so many people seem to turn to here so quickly, be it for legal or medical stuff.
It much easier to ask than try to find out by yourself.
There's a lot of smart people on here.
This is also true
If you get a subpoena, and this goes for everyone, first google the court and make sure you’re calling either the court itself or the district attorney, there are scams out there that use fake numbers. If you call the court, the only thing they will likely do is to tell you to come in on the day listed, so in a criminal case like this one, I would call the prosecutors office and see if they subpoenaed you and try to figure out what the deal is. If you just got it for the 26th, that is pretty poor work by them, but I’ve done that before myself. If you are the wrong person or it turns out you don’t have anything to offer, and it happens, then they can release you via the phone. Good luck, but please comply or call in.
Like this person right here. Thanks a lot mate

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
1st time got this letter. And it is vague as hell. It doesn't even said what is the hearing is about.

Apparently I have been ask to testify on behalf of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania ???

have any of you guys receive one like this before ?

Also it take place on Tuesday and I have class. Can I just don't go ?

Bonus: They even spell my last name wrong

Edit: I live in US
Another edit:
The letter
Poof

If you have been subpoenaed by the Court and you don't show up they can in theory either put you in jail or have the Sheriff come to your class and pick you up. I mean, they probably won't but I wouldn't decide "I have to go to class" for both the legal issue of ignoring a subpoena and because nobody here believes you want to go to class really bad.

If you have been subpoenaed by the Court and you don't show up they will either put you in jail or have the Sheriff come to your class and pick you up.

This is a bit melodramatic. Were You hand served op? Was this a signed for certified mailing? I can’t fathom someone getting locked up for simple mail service. Not where I work at least, admittedly not Pennsylvania.

O.P: I've seen this shit in my anime games, Phoenix Wright. They're luring you to the courthouse to reveal YOU as the true culprit.

Get your affairs in order O.P, when the tables are turned the sword of justice will be pointing at YOU!

Goon

If you have been subpoenaed by the Court and you don't show up they can in theory either put you in jail or have the Sheriff come to your class and pick you up. I mean, they probably won't but I wouldn't decide "I have to go to class" for both the legal issue of ignoring a subpoena and because nobody here believes you want to go to class really bad.

if the sheriff comes to your class to pick you up, you'll be a badass forever

ash321

I have a test that day and didn't know how serious this is.
This is a bit melodramatic. Were You hand served op? Was this a signed for certified mailing? I can’t fathom someone getting locked up for simple mail service. Not where I work at least, admittedly not Pennsylvania.
Normal mail.

JettDash

Did you just get this shit in the mail?

If I got some random subpoena in the mail without any explanation, I wouldn't even consider myself served. I would just throw it away thinking it didn't really count.

Worst thing that happens is they really do need you and send someone to get you. It isn't like they could prove that you even got it in the first place, so no big deal.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You should just verify if it is legit by calling the court by googling the number instead of whatever number is on the subpoena.

It could be a scam

Makonero

O.P: I've seen this shit in my anime games, Phoenix Wright. They're luring you to the courthouse to reveal YOU as the true culprit.

Get your affairs in order O.P, when the tables are turned the sword of justice will be pointing at YOU!

This man speaks the truth

4vciagR.gif

Top Bottom