• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 - Review thread

Damn, the reviews are great. I am very tempted to open my ultimate edition today and not wait for Xbox X.

What should I do? Should I have my first experience be on Xbox X or just jump and enjoy the upgrade in November?
Crack open that $46 ultimate edition!!

Bustanen

We don't really know where to start when it comes to the cars in Forza 7. For starters, we've not found the 700+ cars they talked about in run up to launch. We also haven't found any of our old Forza Motorsport 4 favourites. The Calsonic Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline JPGT stands out to us as the best car ever in this series, and it's missing. We also missed newly released, super-hyped high-performance supercars such as Aston Martin Vulcan, Bugatti Chiron, McLaren 720S, Lamborghini Performante and Mercedes AMG Project One. Instead, we find enough minibuses and three-cylinder minibars (and trucks, and vans) to suffocate an entire legion of zebras. We think it's time Turn 10 looks to Polyphony and follows the example of Yamauchi and his 200-man team in the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport. Remove all these slow, boring family sedans, vans, super old classics, and Forza Horizon cars, and instead put all the focus on real racing machines.
I think it's a legit complaint. Who wants to drive slow ass cars in a racing game?

bombshell

Yeah, some if these websites are making their biases a little too obvious. Strange choice of casrs literally makes 0% sense.

Yes, of course the bias card is drawn immediately, without any research.

From the same reviewer, Petter Hegevall of the Swedish Gamereactor branch:

Forza 6 - 8/10
Forza 5 - 7/10
Forza 4 - 9/10

Gran Turismo 6 - 5/10
Gran Turismo 5 - 7/10

What's he biased towards?

The car selection criticism paragraph because it seems nobody who quoted me has yet to actually read the review:

We don't really know where to start when it comes to the cars in Forza 7. For starters, we've not found the 700+ cars they talked about in run up to launch. We also haven't found any of our old Forza Motorsport 4 favourites. The Calsonic Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline JPGT stands out to us as the best car ever in this series, and it's missing. We also missed newly released, super-hyped high-performance supercars such as Aston Martin Vulcan, Bugatti Chiron, McLaren 720S, Lamborghini Performante and Mercedes AMG Project One. Instead, we find enough minibuses and three-cylinder minibars (and trucks, and vans) to suffocate an entire legion of zebras. We think it's time Turn 10 looks to Polyphony and follows the example of Yamauchi and his 200-man team in the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport. Remove all these slow, boring family sedans, vans, super old classics, and Forza Horizon cars, and instead put all the focus on real racing machines.

Stygr

Banned
Yeah, some if these websites are making their biases a little too obvious. Strange choice of casrs literally makes 0% sense.

"We think it's time Turn 10 looks to Polyphony and follows the example of Yamauchi and his 200-man team in the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport."

If Turn10 looks to Polyphony we are gonna get a new Forza every 4 years, better dont.

This is from Gamereactor review, LOL.
This comparison is nonsense talking about a game not released yet, game critics is shit, i mean, i can't take them seriously.

I love both GT and Forza, but this comparisons are from blinded fanboys and that review is a joke.

Stygr

Banned
Collective GAF intelligence predicted it's gonna review the highest, but only by one meta-point:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249163526&postcount=100

Actually.. why not post the pics:

Edit: Project CARS 2's PC meta-score is at exactly 86 right now as foreseen by GAF , will probably stay there.
Shouldn't the one with the most Reviews be the point of reference?

Project Cars PS4: 83 with 37 reviews
Project Cars XBO: 87 with 12 reviews
Project Cars PC: 86 with 18 reviews
I love how the GTS graphic looks like a middle finger lol

N21

"We think it's time Turn 10 looks to Polyphony and follows the example of Yamauchi and his 200-man team in the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport."

Clearly, the fella has low standards. If GTS is solid, I give it credit, but remember, the last two entries had bad performance.

Stygr

Banned
Clearly, the fella has low standards. If GTS is solid, I give it credit, but remember, the last two entries had bad performance.

GTS will probably be a good game, i really want to see a proper competitor to Forza this year.

I think it's a legit complaint. Who wants to drive slow ass cars in a racing game?

With 700 cars to choose from forza 7 has more "fast" cars than the "other" game the reviewer mentions despite having some "slow" cars. So this comment from the reviewer is quite ridiculous.

Bustanen

I do. They are the best racing experiences I've had outside of actual simulators (which any console game is far from being).

If I want to drive a F1, prototype or touring car I'd rather use an actual simulator.

Plus, for a more anecdotal argument, people driving the fastest cars on those games (GT, FM) usually drive like shit, crashing into you and etc. Rarely I get the same problem with lower classes.

Me? I'm getting a little tired of being force fed Hypercars at every turn, some variety is welcome.
I understand the dislike for supercars but choosing to drive a BMW 320 instead of an M3 for example is nuts.

Shouldn't the one with the most Reviews be the point of reference?

Project Cars PS4: 83 with 37 reviews
Project Cars XBO: 87 with 12 reviews
Project Cars PC: 86 with 18 reviews
I love how the GTS graphic looks like a middle finger lol
You just want GAF to fail, huh? ;))
I think none of us saw coming that the console version would be that buggy

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I think most people get that it is a simulation of sorts but not the most realistic or hardcore.

So maybe Turn 10 should stop using the word "simulation":

"Turn 10 is a subdivision of Microsoft Studios, established in 2001 as a first-party racing game developer. Turn 10 Studios began working on the original Forza Motorsport to fill the void of simulation racing games on the Xbox console."

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/turn10

bombshell

If you're biased wouldn't you give the other franchise higher scores?

I'm not seeing how you can be biased and give the other one a lower score.

Yeah, just looked up the rest of both franchises and Petter Hegevall reviewed all of them for Gamereactor.se except the two first GT's which I can't find reviews of on the site. Not seeing any particular bias and I'm sure Liliana Eileen after the premature accusation doesn't either.

Forza 7 - 7/10
Forza 6 - 8/10
Forza 5 - 7/10
Forza 4 - 9/10
Forza 3 - 8/10
Forza 2 - 8/10
Forza - 9/10

Gran Turismo 6 - 5/10
Gran Turismo 5 - 7/10
Gran Turismo 4 - 7/10
Gran Turismo 3 - 9/10

With 700 cars to choose from forza 7 has more "fast" cars than the "other game the reviewer mentions despite having some "slow" cars. So this comment from the reviewer is quite ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous if the reviewer finds that having such a large car roster with lots and lots of cars he has no interest in results in not enough physics work has gone into the cars that he actually is interested in. By continuation that is where the "not especially realistic" critique comes in:

As far as the car physics go - this game is simpler and less of a simulator than ever before in the franchise. Forza Motorsport 7 is a mix of the gameplay feel we found in Forza 5 and Forza Horizon and will, by doing that, appeal to a larger audience. Turn 10 has been working to extend that critical moment when you lose the grip in one or two tires and then lose it in all four. In some racing simulators, you only have a fraction of a second to react and parry when this happens (GTR 2 was, for example, extreme in this area), while in Forza Motorsport 7 you get more time than you ever would in real life. In fact, it sometimes feels like an arcade racer even when turning off all the assists and driving aids. We have, for example, successfully drifted around almost all of Brands Hatch in a Pagani Huayra BC, without even concentrating that much (something that's about as realistic as the Power Rangers and that wasn't possible in previous entries in the series, at least not like this).

He's not biased against Forza as you can see above, he simply doesn't like the direction of the franchise:

Forza 4 stands out as the absolute highlight in this long-running series and it not only had the best steering wheel support for different types of setups, it also simulated real asphalt racing brilliantly. When the game series then moved from Xbox 360 to Xbox One, Forza Motorsport became a bit more "easy to drive" regarding the car physics, and Forza 7 has now been brought even closer to what we find in Forza Horizon. This while the closest competitors Gran Turismo Sport and Project CARS 2 drive in the opposite direction.

I have very mixed feeling about the game so far. Visuals are all over the place. CrowbCat could make one of his videos comparing FM7 to previous Forza games on the 360 and everyone would have a good laugh. Even at high speeds these 2D trees in Maple Valley look atrocious. I also think colors in that track, as well as some others, are too muted and dull.

Some people previously mentioned that some visual sacrifice had to be made because of 4K 60FPS target for the XBX and it makes sense. I really think that's what happened here.

And then there is the whole situation with microtransactions and VIP.

leng jai

I have very mixed feeling about the game so far. Visuals are all over the place. CrowbCat could make one of his videos comparing FM7 to previous Forza games on the 360 and everyone would have a good laugh. Even at high speeds these 2D trees in Maple Valley look atrocious. I also think colors in that track, as well as some others, are too muted and dull.

Some people previously mentioned that some visual sacrifice had to be made because of 4K 60FPS target for the XBX and it makes sense. I really think that's what happened here.

Do Forza game ever look great though? FM5 and FM6 weren't impressive graphically because they always go for 60fps.

ghibli99

Are you having fun though?

KageMaru

It's not ridiculous if the reviewer finds that having such a large car roster with lots and lots of cars he has no interest in results in not enough physics work has gone into the cars that he actually is interested in. By continuation that is where the "not especially realistic" critique comes in:

I think the score is fine but I'm not sure about the complaint of not liking some of the vehicles. When you have so many to choose from, there's no way anyone will like them all. These types of games have never just been about the sports and race cars, so that point of criticism is a bit silly.

Considering how the 1X had a lot more extra headroom in 4K, those claims make no sense. You're seeing compromises because it's a 1080p60 game running on current gen consoles. You'll always have compromises with games like this. It's also silly to insinuate that the series hasn't improved much from last gen.

Klocker

yea except for the aliasing, pCars2 has better graphics and lighting in general, I think it may give F7 a run for its money on X.

that said, I am more compelled to keep playing Forza than I was PCars 2 which I have had for a week. even if it does not look as good nor is F7 as customizable. F7 is just more fun and has more incentive to keep racing.

pCars2 control is way better than 1 and dare I say even feels better in some cars than F7 honestly.

but again, I will play forza unti I unlock and own most all the cars and love every minute of it

GHG

> 700 cars
> strange choice of cars

Just no LMAO

Let's look at the context surrounding the bullet point here:

We don't really know where to start when it comes to the cars in Forza 7. For starters, we've not found the 700+ cars they talked about in run up to launch. We also haven't found any of our old Forza Motorsport 4 favourites. The Calsonic Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline JPGT stands out to us as the best car ever in this series, and it's missing. We also missed newly released, super-hyped high-performance supercars such as Aston Martin Vulcan, Bugatti Chiron, McLaren 720S, Lamborghini Performante and Mercedes AMG Project One. Instead, we find enough minibuses and three-cylinder minibars (and trucks, and vans) to suffocate an entire legion of zebras.

Such bias.

It's not ridiculous if the reviewer finds that having such a large car roster with lots and lots of cars he has no interest in results in not enough physics work has gone into the cars that he actually is interested in.

My experience in forza 1-6, and the general consensus of those who played those games, is that very much work was put into the physics of the different vehicles. If turn 10 threw away this prior work and took a step backward then I'll be on board criticizing them for it. But I haven't seen this in the demo or any other reviews except the one. I'll get to try the full game for myself on Sunday, but I'd be curious to see if anyone else shares this reviewers viewpoint on the dumbing down of physics. Those that have played the game of course.

My experience in forza 1-6, and the general consensus of those who played those games, is that very much work was put into the physics of the different vehicles. If turn 10 threw away this prior work and took a step backward then I'll be on board criticizing them for it. But I haven't seen this in the demo or any other reviews except the one. I'll get to try the full game for myself on Sunday, but I'd be curious to see if anyone else shares this reviewers viewpoint on the dumbing down of physics. Those that have played the game of course.

I haven't played the full game, I disagree with the reviewer, but about the physics development: They didn't have this big physics PR thing this time around. No "bought custom build machine to get our own tire data, know more about their tires than pirelli" or "we know wet here in washington state, we have build the best hydrplaning physics ever in a racing game". I loved the interviews when Dan Greenawalt geeked out to the average player about the new physics stuff. I'm sure they worked and refined the physics, but this PR physics feature thing is missing.

Fredrik

Petter is not biased, he's a real car nut and is known for slamming racers left and right no matter which platform they appear on if they don't trigger his car nut enthusiasm. He's probably the most unbiased reviewer you'll find when it comes to racers, he's just very very hard to please...
Some past scores:
PC2 8/10
FM6 8/10
GT6 5/10
Shift 2 7/10

farisr

Yeah, just looked up the rest of both franchises and Petter Hegevall reviewed all of them for Gamereactor.se except the two first GT's which I can't find reviews of on the site. Not seeing any particular bias and I'm sure Liliana Eileen after the premature accusation doesn't either.
No no but don't you see, the site gave Knack 2, a PS4 exclusive an 8. They're absolutely biased, cause you know the game that got an average of 7 (meaning lots of sites gave the game higher than 7s) got an 8 from them and this game, a Microsoft exclusive, got a 7. So much bias, they're not even doing a good job of hiding it.

Microsoft game review threads are my favorite.

No they're not.

On topic, ive never played a Forza Motorsport game, but I adore Horizon 2 and 3. I didn't care for the demo of FM6 but I only hear good things about this one so I may check it out.

Fredrik

Microsoft game review threads are my favorite.

No they're not.

On topic, ive never played a Forza Motorsport game, but I adore Horizon 2 and 3. I didn't care for the demo of FM6 but I only hear good things about this one so I may check it out.
If you didn't like FM6 then you won't like this either. The big difference is honestly the dynamic weather and time of day changes, otherwise it looks and plays just like you expect if you've played earlier Forza Motorsport titles.
Forza Horizon 3 is in a league of it's own imo when it comes to fun, FM7 isn't in any way touching FH3 on that end, they're very very different even though they share the Forza title.
My initial impression after gaming yesterday is that FH3 is a 10/10 and FM7 is a 9/10, but I loved FM6 too so you should probably consider it a 7 or 8/10 if you didn't like FM6.
Download the FM7 demo and drive the Nissan, that'll give you a good idea of what it's like.

Top Bottom