• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Your rating doesn't seem to change drastically from every little bump.

Just keep your nose clean and your driver rating will reflect it.

Yes I know, I also ended up with a blue B after the race. However, I do not really understand how the game misinterprets these 100% obvious faults when in general, the rating system works pretty excellent.

3/3 wins tonight, though not reflected in the challenges which is still at 0 for some reason. Great first day nevertheless.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Absolutely no hyperbole whatsoever. I owned an Xone at that time. I preordered F5. It was absolutely bonkers terrible in the graphics department. This was well known at the time. Unless you were a diehard Xbox fan used to only seeing garbage IQ the game looked terrible with image quality from hell. The assets for tracks were also incredibly poor in 5. 7 is a HUGE leap over 5 lol.

wow

I think it would make more sense if they laid out rough plans for free content updates. Like, "we're planning to add at least 10 more tracks, including Spa, Monza, Monaco, and a few fantasy tracks. We're also adding 100+ new cars in every category. Expect these updates to roll out over the coming year." It's harder to go on vague hints that there will be free updates to fill out the content without knowing a rough timetable or what that might include. I already got burned on that with Tekken 7, when many in the community were saying before launch that there'd be all these free content updates which never materialized.
Yep, a roadmap would be great. It's a solid foundation, and gameplay wise, I think they've nailed it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Absolutely no hyperbole whatsoever. I owned an Xone at that time. I preordered F5. It was absolutely bonkers terrible in the graphics department. This was well known at the time. Unless you were a diehard Xbox fan used to only seeing garbage IQ the game looked terrible with image quality from hell. The assets for tracks were also incredibly poor in 5. 7 is a HUGE leap over 5 lol.
This is super embarrassing.

RBHjT4p.jpg

6zQnTmM.jpg
🤣 Translator-san!!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeap, this is the game. More of this is all you'll get (and not that much for that). Which is why I won't be buying. I love the game but I just know I won't get motivated to just play online.

There is no career mode? Just missions?

Wtf!?

Betty

Banned
Impressions from a Gran Turismo newbie.

+ Cars look great, there's a lot of passion put into them
+ Engine sounds are pretty good
+ Music list is really classy and enjoyable
+ Photo mode is unique and fun
+ There's a lot of car tweaking options, even though I have no idea where to begin with that side of things.

However, there's quite a lot I didn't like

- The tracks are really dull, I prefer racing around ones similar to Project Gotham that were set in recognisable and varied cities with interesting backdrops.
- While the cars look awesome, the tracks and everything else... not so much, the Colorado Springs course especially is seriously unimpressive visually, lots of low poly trees and flat surfaces everywhere.
- The online seems terrible. There's no quick match or things like that, you can only join lobbies and hope for the best.
- The main draw of "Sport" is just broken right now, I waited to get into three different races but when the timer hit 0 it just said there was an error and kicked me to the main screen.
- When buying a new car you can't rotate the camera or zoom in or anything, you have to look at the angle the game allows you to view.
- I don't get a real sense of speed from any of the cars, even the fastest ones.
- There should be more camera positions, like one that's closer to the car from a 3rd person perspective.
- The garage is literally just a selection screen? :/ I remember how Project Gotham 3 gave an actual garage to walk around and view the cars close up, that was far superior.
- Overall... it just feels kinda boring, but i'm not a car nut so maybe that's why the appeal is lost on me, I'd rather have something like Burnout 3 than this so maybe that's why i'm down on it.

Honestly I think the photo mode is the best part about the game. And so many of the photo modes locations look SO damn interesting, they should've been used as inspiration for the courses.

v1lla21

Man Polyphony needs to add a replay button for us casuals lol. Having to restart a race due to fucking up a corner is rough. Then again, I don’t know how they’d make it work for challenges. It feels like cars are harder to get into turns without breaking significantly early. Old GT didn’t feel like this.
Man, restarting a race is how I do it in any racing game. It's part of the fun for me.

Ok. Impressions so far:

- Gameplay is amazing. Only play single player time trials, single races. Not into going full multiplayer.. which lead to...

- Campaign mode: What is this? Just some challenge split into tracks and missions, where is the hell is a real career mode where you start building up you car, garage, doing multiple events to go to the top? Perhaps im not informed properly about this game, is it going to change or this game is like that?

Graphics: Well they are great, nothing bad to say . Playing on a 720p display btw, no 2k,4k,6k whatever eye candy tech exist to push graphics to the top, but still found it really amazing. Think its in on par with Driveclub.

Thing that is a miss: Forza driving lane which change color was the way to go, well, for me. Not the crazy racing fanatic, but god i loved that option in Forza. In GT, its just a straight yellow line...

I will wait and see. Need to see more tbh, the lack offline career gamemodeis a bit of a turn off for me. I just dont see myself just going online to compete and challenge, not what i like.
Well you might want to skip, because online is where the campaign is now. Cups, daily challenges, etc...are racers against real opponents not dumb AI. Not sure it's anything to be intimidated by though. You start out with a trial run to get your faster time, honestly, it doesn't feel cut-throat competitive at all to me.

However, there are still races in the missions as well. complete the first row in Mission challenges at you unlock row 6 which has some tough stuff to get through and a 30 lap race with a Porsche. Don't' know how many total races it's going to be, but to me, the RPG element is very much still here as you earn points, credits and rewards for doing just about everything in the game. Even setting up your own custom races in Arcade mode earns you credits.

I'm legit getting sensory overload when I play the oval race track in night with the super fast cars.

Holy shit, so many lights, what an insanely good looking game....

Tried one online race quite late my time (1:30 AM).

The negatives:

I was matched into a 24 player race where I was the only person from my region (Australia). Everyone else in the lobby was from Hong Kong, Korea, and Japan. The nearest other player was 7,500 km away.

The penalty system is unfair. I made a great clean inside pass on someone with absolutely no contact, had to run a little wider on exit so didn't get a fantastic drive out. He deliberately PIT manoeuvred me (very clear on the replay) by turning left into me at my rear right as I gently pulled my two outside wheels off the rumble strip. We both got penalties, in addition to my car spinning. Went from elation at pulling off an amazing overtake to anger at a completely unfair penalty that ruined my race.

The positives:

Despite playing with people who were all more than 7,500 km away, the netcode was bulletproof: no teleporting, lag, etc., everything felt solid like I was racing against really good AI. I wasn't expecting that.

It's pretty amazing trolls and idiots cannot understand that this is a beta.
The game releases in 8 days and they marketed it to high heaven as a demo. Just read the OP.

I booted it up just to double check splitscreen works in the demo. It does.

Also, either I haven't played any recent 2player splitscreen racers, or the splitscreen implementation is really weird in this game.
Only the 50% of the screen for the game..

Maybe this way it will run at 60fps with all details.

I do not know, it's really weird.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would have ported GT6 to PS4 during the first spring. Seems obvious. And that game really could have used a little juice. But maybe GT6 was held together by glue.

Your rating doesn't seem to change drastically from every little bump.

Just keep your nose clean and your driver rating will reflect it.

I'd love to know the "tolerances" for triggering changes (i.e., blue, white [stagnant?], red [reduction?]). I didn't see anything online or in the manual, unfortunately.

So, along with the original Destiny, GTS might be another one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm so glad I ignored the echo chamber on Gaf about how "gutted" the game is. This game is fantastic! And no, I'm not good at racing titles, played previous GT titles as Poke'cars, I don't have a wheel, and generally, having a hard time starting from row number 6 in the missions lol. Everything is just so well done and polished, I can honestly say I won't miss the old style campaign at all. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I honestly feel a lot of the initial talk of PD falling off is hyperbole to a substantial degree.

Pros

- The RPG feel of older games is still here. You earn credits for doing almost everything!
- The campaign actually teaches you how to race and improve
- Getting gold stars on every mission is addictive and fun
- There's actually full races in the campaign, and the challenge level is tough!
- Scapes and the overall presentation is gorgeous
- Best car handling in any racer I've ever played
- Livery and overall customization is deep and gives you ownership over your car/gear
- Online doesn't feel cut throat like a competitive fighter, its seamlessly integrated
- Daily challenges, custom races, and missions make GTS very pick-up-and-play

Cons
- Inconsistent Graphics, looks photo realistic at times, looks sterile on some tracks, etc...
- Not enough production cars or tracks
- Scape/Livery basically needs a tutorial, cumbersome with how many options there is
- Classic GT cups could have easily been a part of Arcade mode
- No Roadmap for future content updates

So yeah, GTS is fantastic so far to me, and I think October, I'm gonna mostly be playing it and it alone.

I would have ported GT6 to PS4 during the first spring. Seems obvious. And that game really could have used a little juice. But maybe GT6 was held together by glue.
Any idea how difficult it is to port PS3 cell-architecture exclusives to the PS4?

I've got no idea, but the cell seemed like it demanded some dark arts to eek greatness out of it.

Maloney

Well, after the server hiccup earlier in the evening, I got to play for a couple of hours. It's a beautiful game and gameplay is great.
However, I think I am going to give it a miss. The lure of online play just isn't interesting me and the amount of time sat on lobbies is too much.

A real shame, a great game, just not for me.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the screen shots though :)

cakely

Huh, had a weird thing happen. I set my driving options to "3 stars" which is supposed to be the assists off, and then I realized during the miata A race that I was losing way too much speed in one particular corner.

It turns out auto-braking was turned on. I have no idea why it was on in the first place but it's sure off now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Any idea how difficult it is to port PS3 cell-architecture exclusives to the PS4?

I've got no idea, but the cell seemed like it demanded some dark arts to eek greatness out of it.

I'm sure it was a bitch based on what Naughty Dog said about TLoU.

Anyway, Polyphony seems not to outsource any content so things take them longer. I imagine they'll get to do this for as long as their games sell like 10 million copies each across generations...

VariantX

Havent played a GT game literally since GT1/2. Weird question but one for nostalgia's sake. Is clubman stage route 5 still a track that shows up in these future games? I pretty much raced on that track 90% of the time because it was like the only night track in the first game other than the variations of that track.

I'd love to know the "tolerances" for triggering changes (i.e., blue, white [stagnant?], red [reduction?]). I didn't see anything online or in the manual, unfortunately.

As far as I can tell from playing the beta and this demo beta, one fault is still sufficient for a blue rating, two faults will be stagnant (white) and anything above will be red. However it also depends on the severity, so if you are straight out shooting someone off track you could end up with a red rating immediately.

I'd say that's done intentionally.

People would immediately game the system if they knew how it worked.

That's why we can't have nice things.

Soar

Does anyone know where to find the music track list? I loved the one by Daiki Kancho and googling found me nothing but some karate videos.

Aspiring

How can 1080p Downsample to a 4k TV lol

Haha sorry i worded that terribly my fault. I was just asking which option looks better and if the 60fps replays are worth it. Plus i thought i read on digital foundry that the downsampled option had 8xmsaa amd a few extras. I have the option to use both.

definitely looks better at 4K...but I personally like the replays at 60fps...

Thank you for the answer and understanding my question!

As far as I can tell from playing the beta and this demo beta, one fault is still sufficient for a blue rating, two faults will be stagnant (white) and anything above will be red. However it also depends on the severity, so if you are straight out shooting someone off track you could end up with a red rating immediately.

In my first race, I got 1 red/orange section while the rest were green and yet I still got a red B? Maybe it was severity...

I'd say that's done intentionally.

People would immediately game the system if they knew how it worked.

That's why we can't have nice things.

You know, this is a good thing.

Top Bottom