• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bjork talks about her experience with Lars Von Trier.

From her Facebook:
i am inspired by the women everywhere who are speaking up online to tell about my experience with a danish director . because i come from a country that is one of the worlds place closest to equality between the sexes and at the time i came from position of strength in the music world with hard earned independence , it was extremely clear to me when i walked into the actresses profession that my humiliation and role as a lesser sexually harassed being was the norm and set in stone with the director and a staff of dozens who enabled it and encouraged it . i became aware of that it is a universal thing that a director can touch and harass his actresses at will and the institution of film allows it . when i turned the director down repeatedly he sulked and punished me and created for his team an impressive net of illusion where i was framed as the difficult one . because of my strength , my great team and because i had nothing to loose having no ambitions in the acting world , i walked away from it and recovered in a years time . i am worried though that other actresses working with the same man did not . the director was fully aware of this game and i am sure of that the film he made after was based on his experiences with me . because i was the first one that stood up to him and didn't let him get away with it

and in my opinion he had a more fair and meaningful relationship with his actresses after my confrontation so there is hope

let's hope this statement supports the actresses and actors all over

let's stop this

there is a wave of change in the world

kindness

björk

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It's been pretty well documented that Von Trier is an asshole and that he and Bjork hated each other when filming Dancer in the Dark.

border

"...you can take quite sexist film directors like Woody Allen or Stanley Kubrick and still they are the one that provide the soul to their movies. In Lars von Trier’s case it is not so and he knows it. He needs a female to provide his work soul. And he envies them and hates them for it. So he has to destroy them during the filming. And hide the evidence."

Kind of of strange, since it seems like Bjork is quite proud of Dancer in the Dark but was absolutely miserable making it.

Ratrat

Yeah. I was always under the impression he was horrible to work with. I think Charlotte Gainsbourg is like the only one who continually works with him. After Antichrist of all roles.

Damnit, welcome to the milkshake duck army, Lars. You disgusting piece of shit.
How were you ever under the impression that he was a nice guy?

Oh, did you just really want to say milkshake duck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

He's notorious for how he treats actresses and is also a bit of an odd one in general. Remember when he was talking positive about Hitler and the Nazis several years ago before it was cool?

Brinbe

hmm, definitely interesting to read this now http://www.npr.org/2011/11/06/142026288/lars-von-trier-a-problematic-sort-of-ladies-man

definitely a difference between being an asshole to work with and what she's claiming. Disgust at that shit.

Von Trier acknowledges that he and Kidman took long walks during the filming of Dogville so they could have good long shouting matches without interruption. Kidman played a fugitive who's ultimately exploited and raped by the good people of a small American town. Von Trier, a self-described control freak, goes on to say in that BBC interview that he and his leading ladies must share a goal — but that ultimately they must rely on him.

"Yeah they submit," he says. "I don't think I've misused anybody, but I could, of course." He giggles. "And I could be tempted to. But I don't think I have."
bruh

Not surprising. Von Trier has always been a scumbag, that's well documented. A talented one but that's no excuse. And even back then it was clear that Dancer in the Dark had been an ordeal for Bjork, she said so multiple times in interviews.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not surprising. Von Trier has always been a scumbag, that's well documented. A talented one but that's no excuse. And even back then it was clear that Dancer in the Dark had been an ordeal for Bjork, she said so multiple times in interviews.

Oh he has talent, but I've never cared for him or his films one iota.

Vuci

Yeah. I was always under the impression he was horrible to work with. I think Charlotte Gainsbourg is like the only one who continually works with him. After Antichrist of all roles.

I have always loved his work but never read or heard anything about him as a person. Now I have. Milkshake duck.

Isn't milkshake duck referring to someone who had a quick rise to fame and them got outed for disgusting views, rather than someone who has been controversial for decades?

Fisty

Least surprising turn I've seen this month. I wonder why she didn't drag this out sooner, she's had a worldwide platform for a very long time. Regardless, let's shine a light on them all.

Vuci

Today I learned what a milkshake duck is, thanks Gaf.

Back on-topic, I am so happy people in the industry keep coming out.

Milkshake duck has transcended its origins. It's a useful term for the celebrity whose fall arises from exposure due to fame. That's subtly different from the original meaning, but nobody cares.

Famassu

I knew he was a difficult person to work with, with tons of weird quirks and he can be a bit awkward. A bit of an excentric weirdo artist who just doesn't operate on the same plane as normal people. Didn't think he'd be one of them, though it also doesn't come as a huge surprise.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Surprise of the century, Lars von Trier is an awful person.

I am so tired of that "milkshake duck" meme. It was funny in that one tweet, it's not something that should be turned into an adjective (and at one point a verb)

bengraven

For years I’ve known that he turned her away from ever acting again but I always assumed it was just the incredibly emotionally demanding role taking a toll on her.

yepyepyep

I'm pretty sure Kirsten Dunst said in an interview he ran around with his pants down around set during Melancholia...so yeah he is a known weirdo. I've known for years that Bjork hated filming Dancer in the Dark but the statement makes it sound like he would touch people without consent... Puts me in a bind because it is one of my favourite films and I love the performance and soundtrack by Bjork.

Chichikov

This isn't surprising even if you only watched his movies. Fuck this guy and fuck his movies, dogme 95 is the dumbest idea in the history of cinema.

"...you can take quite sexist film directors like Woody Allen or Stanley Kubrick and still they are the one that provide the soul to their movies. In Lars von Trier’s case it is not so and he knows it. He needs a female to provide his work soul. And he envies them and hates them for it. So he has to destroy them during the filming. And hide the evidence."

Kind of of strange, since it seems like Bjork is quite proud of Dancer in the Dark but was absolutely miserable making it.

Allen and Kubrick are/were not sexists.

slider

There's been a bit of coverage about how Hollywood needs to change its culture after recent revelations. I was thinking that we're kidding ourselves if we think it's restricted to Hollywood/entertainment industry.

Fugu

Honestly, my main takeaway from this story is that Bjork continues to be a great example of how to be a good person while also being famous.

DeathyBoy

Banned
He did abuse the actress in the shining mentally to get a certain performance out of her.

I mean he did the same thing to everyone else on set except for the kid.

Nicholson vowed to never work work Kubrick again, and he pushed Scatman Cruthers to his breaking point. Kubrick was a perfectionist and a jerk all round.

I mean maybe he was sexist, but he abused all of his actors.

CHC

Isn't milkshake duck referring to someone who had a quick rise to fame and them got outed for disgusting views, rather than someone who has been controversial for decades?

Lately it basically just means "anyone mentioned on the internet who is repugnant." The term was basically ground into meaninglessness in the span of like... a week lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'll help you.

She was sexually harrassed and subsequently victim blamed for being difficult to work with when the predator Lars Von Trier met resistance.
She never actually says that though. That may be what she meant, but she didn't say it.

She never actually says that though. That may be what she meant, but she didn't say it.

"it was extremely clear to me when i walked into the actresses profession that my humiliation and role as a lesser sexually harassed being was the norm and set in stone with the director and a staff of dozens who enabled it and encouraged it. i became aware that it is a universal thing that a director can touch and harass his actresses at will and the institution of film allows it. when i turned the director down repeatedly he sulked and punished me and created for his team an impressive net of illusion where i was framed as the difficult one"

If you're implying that maybe she wasn't sexually harassed because she successfully turned him down repeatedly, no. Expectation of submission and repeated attempts at inappropriate sexual contact is still harassment, and punishing her for refusing to put up with that shit is even grosser.

broz0rs

The only Von Trier movie I've ever liked was Breaking the Waves, but I wonder what kind of torment he must have put on Emily Watson on set.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
A lot of people here really wanna make fetch happen with this phrase

you're just streets behind brother.

At least bjork feels comfortable saying it out loud now. I know she was a wreck after Dancer, and I figured Von Trier was a pain to work with, but didn't know it went this far.

Top Bottom