• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With worst possible timing Louis C.K.'s film I Love You, Daddy gets a trailer

berzeli

Banned
Trailer here
Because why not have a trailer for a film set in the movie business about an old director dating a 17 year old woman that ends with the phrase "we're all perverts who cares?" whilst the Weinstein scandal and its fallout is still being felt.
And that's not taking into account the allusions to Woody Allen or the rumours about C.K himself.

Those rumors kinda suck. Didn't Jen Kirkman come out and specifically say that it wasn't him, like a good while back?

Timing on the movie... Yeah, it'll be interesting, at least.

Blader

And that's not taking into account the allusions to Woody Allen or the rumours about C.K himself.
I mean, don't you think the film was deliberately made about allusions to Woody Allen and even as a response to the CK rumors? It's not a coincidence.

Of course the Weinstein timing is a coincidence, but from what I know about the film Malkovich's character sounds like a Woody Allen analog rather a serial rapist of young women like Weinstein. Which would, suffice to say, be a much less morally complicated story!

liquidtmd

Banned
Marketing team

87wQl.gif

berzeli

Banned
I mean, don't you think the film was deliberately made about allusions to Woody Allen and even as a response to the CK rumors? It's not a coincidence.

Of course the Weinstein timing is a coincidence, but from what I know about the film Malkovich's character sounds like a Woody Allen analog rather a serial rapist of young women like Weinstein. Which would, suffice to say, would be a much less morally complicated story!
Oh I think the intentions are clear, it's that they decide to release it now. It's not going to make any of that better.
Honestly, if it's satire isn't this the best timing
Not really considering that there are a lot of people who (rightly) aren't going to be especially charitable with how they feel about this.

Slayven

I assume the marketing team was in cryo sleep up until a few hours ago.

Good or bad this movie about to get made a poster child

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Not really considering that there are a lot of people who (rightly) aren't going to be especially charitable with how they feel about this.

That entirely hinges on how Louie's character handles the situation. It appears to indicate a narrative where he "gets her away from her perv" somehow, struggling with the situation, while everyone around him think's it's OK.

This could backfire if he places too much emphasis on those around him and not on his character, the parent / guardian who should just straight up tell her not to see the guy. Hollywood would see it as "victim blaming" and chastising the father for not doing more to protect his daughter from the nasty old guy.

One part in the trailer that stands out is how someone told Louie's character that he's not being a father if his daughter says she loves him so much. That he should tell the old guy to fuck off and ruin his daughter's aspirations because she's in a situation where she's being exploited, and she doesn't see it nor does anyone else but him really.

Here is a review of the movie from Cinema Scope.
I Love You, Daddy satisfyingly, nauseatingly delivers on the promise that C.K.’s Louie flashed here and there—namely, that its creator/star had an iconoclastic, profoundly uncomfortable and uncomfortably profound film somewhere within the bounds of his Nietzschean imagination. Its ravishing black and white, shot-on-35mm, deliberately soundstage-y aesthetic shouldn’t so much recall Allen’s yuckiest greatest hit (Manhattan) as darkly conjure the white male ego’s endless system of delusions, never more dangerous than when ineptly put in the service of trying do the right thing. “I’m sorry, women,” Glen offers at one point—an apology that’s excruciatingly funny in context but also impossible, and too little too late in a messy world ruled by privilege and fame and everywhere marked by the damage wrought by dumb men
There’s other reviews out there that aren’t as flattering.

Jen Kirkman is the source of that rumor, correct? probably time to lay that rumor to rest

She was believed to be one source, yes, which has subsequently been clarified to not have been about Louis, but there were allegations that predated that. This article lays it all out:

https://jezebel.com/tell-us-what-you-know-about-the-louis-c-k-sexual-abuse-1818549472

It's all pretty unsubstantiated at this point, but Louis hasn't done a great job quashing the rumors.

NimbusD

Those rumors kinda suck. Didn't Jen Kirkman come out and specifically say that it wasn't him, like a good while back?

Timing on the movie... Yeah, it'll be interesting, at least.
Yeah but then other people(who aren't even involved) say 'everyone knows' he does this stuff. Alluding to more rumors.

So idk, I can't get behind someone just saying hey there's rumors about someone. If people come forward then the situation is different.

Jen Kirkman is the source of that rumor, correct? probably time to lay that rumor to rest

“Sometimes there’s nothing there. I think this might be a case of there’s nothing there,” Kirkman said. “If I’m wrong, I’m wrong, and if any women want to come forward and say what he’s done, I’ll totally back them, because I believe women. But I just don’t know any.”

What the fuck. If you don't know then why say anything?

Best GAF title ever.

As for the movie, I'm already uncomfortable and not in a way that makes this seem remotely interesting. It's even made creepier by the fact that despite her being 20, Chloe Grace Moretz is always gonna look like she's 15. Even if the movie is self aware about it, it's still fucking creepy.

PolishQ

She was believed to be one source, yes, which has subsequently been clarified to not have been about Louis, but there were allegations that predated that. This article lays it all out:

https://jezebel.com/tell-us-what-you-know-about-the-louis-c-k-sexual-abuse-1818549472

It's all pretty unsubstantiated at this point, but Louis hasn't done a great job quashing the rumors.

Hold up. She WAS talking about Louis CK, but what she said was that she had heard these rumors about him and that gave her reservations about going on tour with him, when she had already gotten a weird vibe from him on earlier occasions. However, she clarified that he has never directly done anything to her, and that the rumors might just be rumors.

Blader

What more can one do to quash rumors other than deny them?

Not only is the timing terrible, there are rumours/accusations of sexual misconduct by LCK out there as well.
Do you think Louis was unaware of those rumors when he made this film?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'll say this, if Louis does have some skeletons in his closet, this would be exactly the type of thing to shake them out. Dropping the trailer now is bad timing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just learned from the article that Louis CK directed Pootie Tang.

Wtf.

That should have been enough to lock him up for life.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don’t understand some of the replies here. The movie is pretty clearly exploring Louie’s conflicted feelings about Woody Allen and drawing that parallel with the accusations surrounding his own behavior.

I’ve kinda lost my taste for Louie but there are certainly more eyebrow raising arthouse films. I think it’s a little naive to assume any of this was an accident.

hampig

I don’t understand some of the replies here. The movie is pretty clearly exploring Louie’s conflicted feelings about Woody Allen and drawing that parallel with the accusations surrounding his own behavior.

I’ve kinda lost my taste for Louie but there are certainly more eyebrow raising arthouse films. I think it’s a little naive to assume any of this was an accident.

Seriously, sometimes GAF feels like a different planet full of angry people looking for reasons to be angry. There is no possible way that the people behind the movie and this trailer are not aware of what's going on in their own industry right now. They're probably feeling pretty lucky with the timing of this trailer.

Top Bottom