• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
I'm going to say I'm disappointed that there are so many account suicides.

I think we could still keep our maturity in check, even when emotions are high flying.

Without approving or disapproving of anyone's actions, just ask yourself is this how you really saw the GAF community all these years? Just ready to throw yourself away instead of sitting down and having a conversation?

I am a raging alcoholic. No lie, I am having my third 75/25 Jack Coke right now. I have no regrets, it's who I am.

I'm divorced, somewhat from my own faults and somewhat from hers. It happens.

I have a few kids out there. One I know for sure to be mine, but I ain't paying for any of them. That makes me a deadbeat father I guess.

I work a dead end job, making dead end money, which is a situation that will never improve due to my lack of education and the motivation to further it.

I'll never be internet famous (infamous?) like you. But that's probably for the better.

In the end I will die alone, unloved, and forgotten. Buried in a paupers grave with nobody to mourn my loss.

But you know what you slimey piece of shit? None of that matters, because at least I can say this: I NEVER SEXUALLY ASSAULTED A WOMAN AND BLAMED HER. Seriously, you fucking pathetic spec of a man, that alone makes you far worse than me. And here's why...

1: I will die forgotten, you will live on forever on the internet as the rapist who ran a gaming forum.

2: Same as number one. (I'm working back here, did your elf intelligence pick that up yet?)

3: You life was this forum, which will now forever be tainted by the RAPIST that runs it. It is your legacy.

4: My kids will never know me, and never know my sins. Any child unfortunate to have you as a father will eventually google their daddies name, and then have to ask you sexually assaulted women. Have fun with that.

5: Any woman that knows you will know your game. Good luck finding true love now, you don't deserve it.

6: If you aren't a raging booze hound yet, you will be soon. As your world crumbles around you, and everything you have worked so hard for vanishes, that bottle will just look better and better. You'll give in, it's only a matter of time.

All in all, you're a fuckstain upon the gaming community at large and quite frankly an amazingly ugly human being. Enjoy watching your empire burn, because lord knows the rest of us are.

P.S: With an apology like that, GAF isn't the place to post. If you want to play the victim in all of this and be held like a baby, go to 4chan. I hear they love people that victim blame and treat women as objects. You'll fit right in.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Dudes, honestly, fuck both of you. That is a piece shit way to think and only serves to reinforce and encourage all the bullshit that Evilore did to lead to this fucking mess. Grabbing a stranger's ass (or even a non-stranger in some cases) unsolicited is sexual assault. Period. End of story. Shit is not complicated.

And trying to confuse it or act like it's nothing is irresponsible and just scummy as fuck.
Who said anything about unsolicited? It's a club, people party, people grind, people lead each other on

If you cared about this community and not just your bottom line you would step down. I loved this place, I loved the discussions that were had, I loved the communities and all the different people I got to meet that shared the same hobbies and passions as me. There's no way for this site to move forward with you at the helm. Please ban my account.

meanspartan

Believe women was the right call before. It's the right call now.

This is bogus.

I dont agree. Separate it from Evilore for a second.

On the one hand, I absolutely understand the push to believe women who make sexual assault allegations. It takes a lot of bravery to come forward, and if they think they will be called liars, they won't come forward.

On the other hand, I am not comfortable with the idea of always "listen and believe". We should listen, and we should be empathetic, and we should investigate. But just "believing" is a recipe that allows horrible people to ruin others' lives with empty allegations. People have gone to prison for years based on rape accusations, only to later be released when new DNA findings proved the accusations were bullshit. That is the dark side of "listen and believe".

Man, the first few pages of this thread are like a list of the lost.

Frankly, and speaking as a lawyer here, it is not appropriate to discuss allegations while they remain hearsay and open to dispute. However, the allegations arose in a politically heated environment, and were handled badly, and have created a significant amount of rightful distaste among the community. This has travelled to the less generous parts of the web, where it is open season on the community.

Secondly, we are a community, and notwithstanding allegations (rightly or wrongly) against the owner, we have to make a distinction between the owner and the community. For example, I may dislike (to put it mildly) Trump, but I still love America and Americans.

This is GAF, it is a community, and the majority of its members and former mods were decent people having fantastic discourse. It was my go to site for news, gaming and off-topic, and provided me with many smiles, if not loud laughter, thoughts, some challenging but all nourishing, over the years.

It would be a shame to lose this, because there aren't many refuges of enlightened, collegiate, somewhat boisterous, but generally well meant debate and community left on the web. GAF was one of those, and if it passes, in the form we knew, loved, and hated, then something dies.

On a last point of warning, OT needs to be brought back, and the comments about moderating out social and political topics needs to be dropped. A good site, with good moderators, will keep things in line. That is why we came here. The minute a site says that we are incapable of addressing certain topics, and being big boys and girls about it, then that site loses its identity and purpose.

Peace. Chill everyone.
This shit needs repeated every page.

timshundo

Gaming forum was like 1/5 of my total pageviews compared to off-topic. Nothing beat the immediacy of OT on news from around the world.

I can't imagine being a regular user anymore. If OT comes back as a shell of it what was, then donde esta resetera?

Pineconn

Remaining depoliticized is crucial for healthy discussion about anything (besides politics itself, of course). I sincerely hope this is maintained.

Dubz

Believing in victims/accusations enough to investigate their claims makes sense. It's the reasonable thing to do. Harassing someone and trying to destroy their livelihood without any actual investigation taking place is just witch hunting mob mentality.
Was just about to post something similar. Character assassination by a mob with zero evidence is scary. Let's at least sort out the fact before we burn the place down.

I think we could still keep our maturity in check, even when emotions are high flying.

Without approving or disapproving of anyone's actions, just ask yourself is this how you really saw the GAF community all these years? Just ready to throw yourself away instead of sitting down and having a conversation?

We aren't allowed to have conversations that aren't about video games now

I just want to set the record straight, that this has been my GAF handle (name) since I joined GAF back in 2011.. Want proof? Just check my profile page.

MY GAF NAME BY NO MEANS IN ANY WAY REFERENCING CURRENT TURN OF EVENTS, AND IT IS A TOTAL COINCIDENCE.

please don't ban

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
By the way it was crazy ta see how the rest of the internet celebrated GAF going up in flames over the weekend.

Hey internet: a handful of people up top do not reflect on the hundreds (thousands?) of regular ol' peeps that posted here an gave this forum its life and its content.

But hey, I've seen many posters on here act the same way by being all like "man I hope this company bites the dust". Like how does that help the regular every day workers? Pro-tip: the people up to got golden parachutes, everyone down below does not.

For anyone still around: never ever make 1 site/forum be the only place ya visit an participate in. There are a couple forums I've been an still am on before pre-GAF an ones I've been on after post-GAF. Different forums got different strengths/weaknesses an most importantly different discussions. Containing yourself to just one place is never a good idea!

Wamb0wneD

I feel like some of you guys are being overly aggressive over something that's not confirmed and that's the only thing i'm going to comment on this subject.

So glad gaf is back just in time for MARIO ODYSSEY!!!

For real, I was so looking forward to that next Friday. Also the guaranteed meltdowns for the GotY awards lol.

Woah there sure is a lot of death threats from a community so positive that apparently hated death threats

really makes you think

Lum1n3s

That's a lot of people shitting on the resurrection... Too soon?

I don't mind it I'm fine but wow it's going to take a while to get used to this

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow. I feel like I should get some kind of prize for surviving all the way to the end of NeoGAF. Crazy stuff. Anyways, it was fun guys!

I've been posting here for almost eleven years.

And this is a tough pill to swallow but I'm out.

Don't make me post some stupid shit. Just ban/delete my account.

Jabo

I'm glad gaf is back, love the community so much and can't wait for OT to come back. Holy shit can't believe it's been 12 years since I've been here lurker/member.

KanameYuuki

Good, I remember how I used to lurk the site a few years back but then day after day politics were sucking the fun out of everything, maybe after everything has stabilized bring it back with a bit of as neutral moderation as possible.

And good lord if some of you don't ever want to come back, then just leave, you can just sign out and never come back instead of begging for a ban just to have that internet badge
(Or at least go out with a bang-nothing illegal of course).

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I’ve been a member here (and previously at the original Gaming-Age Forums) for over 15 years. This community, for better or worse, has been a constant part of my life since I was a young kid. Unquestionably it has shaped a lot about who I am today and has made me a better person overall.

That being said, it’s terribly hard to see what’s happened to it now. Tyler, your response is not enough. Whether the allegations are true or not, the way you’ve handled this (and other recent incidents) is just not right. There’s a mature way to go about such things and that chance has been passed up.

It’s really unfortunate that this community of people will never be the same going forward. GAF is truly a unique corner of the Internet, I’ve learned so much being here. It’s nearly impossible to understate what this community brought to... everything. You can try and salvage it, but it can’t be the same anymore. Your plans going forward make your priorities abundantly clear. I hope the level-headed moderators who have finally had enough can manage to replicate what we had here somewhere else because this community is bigger than the person at the top. It always has been and hopefully it always will be.

To those of you who might be unaware: There's a successor forum going up called "ResetERA" that should be up by the end of the week. Similar in structure to GAF, and a lot of the old GAF userbase is flocking there.

If you're looking for a similar place to talk games, movies, TV, etc. that'll be a solid place to go. Plus you don't have to support Tyler, which is a huge plus.

I loved GAF but I'm throwing in the towel. Can't bring myself to support it anymore. Hope to see some of you around.

Peace.

why would she have lied?

why was your first published statement on this grounded in blaming her mental illness?

why is anyone buying the same dismissive bullshit excuse that countless other gross men have used?

to try and blame this on political discussion on gaf makes no sense.

what happened to believing woman?

gaf has been my favorite website for over seven years now, but this is just horrifically disappointing. when gamergate started, gaf felt like the only place that was willing to stand up against them. now that just feels empty and preformative.

Evillore was never what drew me to gaf, but I can’t stomach contributing to this guy’s finances anymore. you can’t ignore the sickness that exists at the top level of this community.

the gaf I spent days on wouldn’t have ignored this if it was any other website.

fuck him, fuck this, thank you to the community for the last seven years of posting and lurking, and thanks to all the mods.

bye.

DTU

Banned
So you're saying everyone that designed Mario Rabbids was a soulless husk, with no political leanings or opinions that may have influenced the design of the game? Politics is apart of art

I'm saying that I don't give a flying fuck to talk about the politics of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

By the way it was crazy ta see how the rest of the internet celebrated GAF going up in flames over the weekend.

Hey internet: a handful of people up top do not reflect on the hundreds (thousands?) of regular ol' peeps that posted here an gave this forum its life and its content.

But hey, I've seen many posters on here act the same way by being all like "man I hope this company bites the dust". Like how does that help the regular every day workers? Pro-tip: the people up to got golden parachutes, everyone down below does not.

For anyone still around: never ever make 1 site/forum be the only place ya visit an participate in. There are a couple forums I've been an still am on before pre-GAF an ones I've been on after post-GAF. Different forums got different strengths/weaknesses an most importantly different discussions. Containing yourself to just one place is never a good idea!
Because Gamer Gate is still out there, and those pathetic fucks took this as a victory. That is the part that makes this the most sickening.

Been here for ages, though I lurked more than I participated. Had no idea about the Amirox thing till this whole thing blew up recently and I did some 'external' reading. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Anyway, I'm glad gaf is back up, at least it won't make whatever transition will happen from now quite so jarring as having the rug pulled out from under you. I'd more or less transitioned from gaming to OT in the recent year as I've lost interest in gaming. OT was a good source for daily news. Well, will see what happens from now.

MrToast

Thank you for posting this, it is refreshing to at least hear the other side of the story, I hope you continue to share, we all deserve 2nd chances in any case.

Xisiqomelir

Excising OT will bring us a long way back to the pre-2k10 GAF I really enjoyed posting on, but I hope that we'll one day be able to have back the tech, music, cooking and tv show threads that are free of all that political jank

Phased

OT had gotten pretty out of control over the last year, outrage after outrage and serious piling on if you disagreed with anything, so having the place shift back towards gaming primarily is likely for the better.

I'll follow the community wherever it ends up, and the gaming side is what brought me here in the first place.

If it still exists after this I'll stay, no issues.

everything coming out was proving to be sensationalized, opportunist, and unprofessional.

Just like your penis!

Political and social discourse will not be allowed in the new Off-Topic

Congratulations GamerGate, you won!

By making moderation anonymous. There will be no more red-names that single them out nor will there be a list of who is one.

Because what's needed on GAF is less transparency.

EL, feel free to get up all over this delicious pastry with your ban hammer. I promise, this time it will be consensual.

BPoole

eh, half of the gaming side threads turned into political discussion anyway, no?

Yeah, because the people active in OT would come over and shit up threads. It's like people can't grasp that some people just want to have a casual, friendly online conversation about their nerdy hobbies without getting attacked by people with pine cones up their asses 24/7.

What kind of conversation? A mod approved one? Seems like the real conversation that people want to have won't be allowed. Thats why a lot of people are pissed.

Schattenjäger;252756327 said:
Who said anything about unsolicited? It's a club, people party, people grind, people lead each other on

I'm sorry, but "people partying" is not an excuse. It's not a granting of permission. And it's not a license for anyone to take advantage of the situation. No matter how much anyone wants it to be.

ApharmdX

Banned

Exactly. I haven't been here that long but I've enjoyed my time here, for the most part, and there's good peeps. Sucks to see it burn because the owner made some poor decisions.

It feels like most of these posts are just "I lean right and this forum will now be better! Let's focus on games. Now FUCK WOLFENSTEIN WE SHOULD LISTEN TO BOTH SIDES".

I will be watching the situation as I'm sure many are. But as far as I'm concerned there is no saving this forum. The overt right leaning posts coming out of the woodwork are more than evidence of that.

One more thing...Evilore if you really did what that girl said (and I think you did) step down and disappear.

Hydrus

It is a response as to how you're saying that all OT stuff is bad

No, I didnt say it was bad. What was bad was that most people only came here for their political and Social views. Every single day we had multiple Trump threads. People posted more on the OT side then gaming, then all that stuff spilled into gaming and other non political threads. This is why Gaf has become so hated. Just look at the mass amounts of people from the Gaming industry celebrating this place going down. People and their political and social views are what killed this place. This place was going to blow up sooner or later.

this is the garbage-tier posts this site is going to be left with now there's no ot.

I hope you're prepared for the sort of community this will build.

No. I've been dealing with Garbage tier post and dog piling since I've been here. Take your politics else where.

To those of you who might be unaware: There's a successor forum going up called "ResetERA" that should be up by the end of the week. Similar in structure to GAF, and a lot of the old GAF userbase is flocking there.

If you're looking for a similar place to talk games, movies, TV, etc. that'll be a solid place to go. Plus you don't have to support Tyler, which is a huge plus.

I loved GAF but I'm throwing in the towel. Can't bring myself to support it anymore. Hope to see some of you around.

Peace.

Word is getting in is gonna be tough. Hope I can get in, I'm not gonna last in this fuck ass place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom