• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

*1My perception may well be a little off as I haven't played 64 in years, but I do remember a feeling of progression that this game doesn't contain. I feel like I'm shopping here, looking for challenge, rather than it being part of the landscape. I've never had that in a Mario game before. That's why I liken it to a Ubisoft game, it feels a little dead, a bit by the numbers, despite the innovation on display in other areas.

*2The reason I call some of the levels bland is some of them are bland compared to the rest -- that's not really subjective. Ideas for a level include a more realistic forest and a city (do those even count as ideas?) now compare this to a
level made of food
, or a
palace on the moon
and you'll understand what I'm getting at. The lower forest area is literally bland however. There's almost nothing there. Same with areas of the desert.
When you get to a particular level you'll understand what I mean about Dark Souls. There's a definite tip of the hat.

The importance of when the challenging levels appear *1is really just one of pace for me. It's almost as if the hard sections of the game are entirely optional, but my main gripe is that to get to a challenge (that may or may not be actually challenging) it's actually a bit of a chore as very few of the main play areas contain decent gameplay. Lots of things to do, yes, but nothing that really taxes you.
It seems the game is overwhelming you to the point of not digesting what it's offering. Often when this happens with a high profile game it either causes a reaction similar to yours or ones in the other end of the spectrum: "Best game ever!", "GOAT", etc. When in reality not enoguh time has passed to make more accurate judgement.

Let's get out of the way that the control and movement system satisfies both novice and elite players, while also embracing their respective playstyles.It's amazing how a high profile game is welcoming the speedrun community with open arms.

About your Mario 64 comparison: Indeed your memory seems fuzzy. i don't think the way you directly compare both is fair to 64 with the games been 20 years appart and the latest one uses it as the base.

Comparing things like the process to get a star, bosses and general variety of gameplay, leaves 64 not fairing as favorably as you remember. I.E.: Think about stuff like freeing the Chomp, "Blast trough the wall", Fighting the Bully, 8 red coins on top of Bowser Jigsaw or the star at the entrance of Hazy Maze Cave, im going by memory but some of them are rather simple tasks. i could be wrong, but doing a side by side of both games and Odyssey will probably match with 120 Moonshines that are of equivalent effort both in terms of design and challenge.

Another thing people don't notice about 64 often is, that while it features "persistent" stars available at any time during a level, taking a player away from the level after collecting 1 defeats to some degree that freedom. This design aspect makes more sense in a Galaxy type Mario game. This means that a player in 64 is traversing the same space multiple times to get stars that in reality aren't that far from each other. Take this fact into consideration and picture 64 letting players on the map after collecting 1 star, how the game would feel then?

Now moving to specific points marked in your post:

*1. In Odyssey, main levels lead players with a clear goal. Towards it, the player is presented with stage ginmicks, possesion mechanics and challenges structured around these elements. While the path to this goal is surrounded with Moonshines that are not so out of the way in a quantities near the amount to power up the Odyssey.

This is how a game with these open levels keep the rythm of it's pacing. But freedom is always there, if you so desire go nuts exploring. It also has the extra advantage that if the game is "too easy" this speeds up the process to get to the more interesting parts within a particular level or an specific level.

*2 Bland Levels: What you describe is the case with a lot of games. Quality, creativity, polish, etc varies between them.

You did make a subjective statement when claiming the "futuristic" graphic style wasn't of your liking. Anyways, i think the game reached a good compromise in it's level pallete. It features traditional themes while adding new ones like Mount Volvano, Boneton, Lost Kingdom, etc. Some people will complain no matter what, i distinclty remember the reaction to Delfino being themed around a Tropical setting and "how out of place" felt for a Mario game.

Some levels do feel unercoocked with being too simple and small or it's interesting theme not taking advantage of: See "The Ruined Kingdom".

Alpha_eX

Of course not. You need to buy at least ~120 to hit 999. It doesn’t remove other ones you’ve missed.

I'm unsure of why someone would buy multiple moons from the shop, I can't see what they do if they don't technically clear moons you need to find. It's confusing.

Somebody else here said that Mario Odyssey feels like a Banjo game. The more I think about it, the more accurate I think that is.

1) Large worlds where you're left to your own devices as opposed to being given clear objectives (except for the first two or three moons in each world)

2) You aren't booted out of worlds after each moon.

3) Lots of NPC's.

4) The possession mechanic feels just like the Mumbo Jumbo/Humba Wumba transformations (in Tooie, you could even become a T-Rex).

5) The worlds are a lot less abstract than most Mario games.

6) The purple coins are similar to musical notes in terms of how they're hidden.

GametimeUK

My GOTY for sure I absolutely adore it. That being said I am very glad we have an exploration focused Mario title, but I do prefer the more refined platforming found in Galaxy. Galaxy still holds the crown in my eyes.

ehead

Is anyone else having a hard time with the swimming controls? Does Mario automatically sink while underwater? I just got to Lake Kingdom, and controls are killing me.

Somebody else here said that Mario Odyssey feels like a Banjo game. The more I think about it, the more accurate I think that is.
1) Large worlds where you're left to your own devices as opposed to being given clear objectives (except for the first two or three moons in each world)

3) Lots of NPC's. *Superficial comparison.
The comparison is backwards, Banjo takes from Mario 64 with the mantra "More & Bigger". More moves, powers, collectibles in bigger environments. However, it does have other priorities after all Rare stronger points were different from Nintendo internal teams. Btw, tags with "superficial comparison" i won't bother to adress.

In Banjo charatcers aren't take back outside the level because the environements are bigger and more stuff needs to be collected. In Mario games the character is take outside for various reasons: A new level setup or limitations related to development (storage space/Time). For example designers of 64 wanted to make the player traverse the level as much as possible.

4) The possession mechanic feels just like the Mumbo Jumbo/Humba Wumba transformations (in Tooie, you could even become a T-Rex).

5) The worlds are a lot less abstract than most Mario games. *Superficial comparison.

6) The purple coins are similar to musical notes in terms of how they're hidden. *Superficial comparison.
i think explaining what Cappy is doing would be enough to make clear why the possesion mechanic isn't like Banjo transformations.

As i said in a previous post. Cappy at first glance to me seemed like a variation of Luma that also disguised the power up/costume system of past Mario games with a clever presentation trick. i also made the note that this perception could change eventually.

Cappy works as a jump modifier, projectile/physical attack (basically limited Luma functionality) and as an streamlining of the power up system.

As we see, Cappy solves multiple problems with a button. It also makes the Power Up system a bit more flexible as is less location dependent and give players a bit more of freedom with creative use. See bullet bills and the Squid creatures in Seaside.

The other important problem cappy solves pertains enemies in 3D mario games. When Mario entered the 3rd dimension enemies became more trivial, because they could be easily avoided in a free more open space and because their behavior patterns are so simple. With Odyssey, since the power up system is tied to them and Cappy the player is forced to approach enemies. Aproach, attack and then capture.

Is anyone else having a hard time with the swimming controls? Does Mario automatically sink while underwater? I just got to Lake Kingdom, and controls are killing me.
For Mario's basic form swiming works like the 2D games, which i thought it was neat from a design perspective. It simplifies swiming for beginner players that tend to get disoriented with 6 DOF movement.

Just beat the game and got credits. Man Nintendo really knows how to make a feel good ending. It was almost as good as Galaxy1's ending for me.

So it's not just me? They did change the swimming controls from all the other 3D games?

I can't even dive and stay underwater unless I do a ground pound.

slammer

For some reason I thought this had multiple save slots on a single profile. I told my coworker to start a new game, and now I'm out 200 moons and a beaten story.
*slaps forehead*

It does have multiple save slots. Just go into options - data management - load. Little bit convoluted, but it works.

jwillenn

Swimming is old school (think SMB1). Use butt stomp to descend. That's pretty much it (not counting captures).

I finished my bare bones run on the night before yesterday. I enjoyed it enough to feel motivated to gun for all moons. Thanks, Team Odyssey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vD-B-P_U0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zOoWG_fqu8

tkscz

Took me two days (girlfriend pushed me to keep playing, she likes watching me play) and man the salt of that ending. Even after beating it, I want to get more stars. The formula used for this game feels like Banjo-Kazooie (would be Tooie if the levels connected without the need for the Odyssey) but more balanced. You don't have as many collectibles, so it feels less stressful.

Also:
*Mario has a rolling move*: We Sonic now?
*Visits a city full of realistic humans*: Seriously, we Sonic now?
*Butt-Rock plays at final part of the game*
: Ok, we Sonic now.

tassletine

It seems the game is overwhelming you to the point of not digesting what it's offering. Often when this happens with a high profile game it either causes a reaction similar to yours or ones in the other end of the spectrum: "Best game ever!", "GOAT", etc. When in reality not enoguh time has passed to make more accurate judgement.

Let's get out of the way that the control and movement system satisfies both novice and elite players, while also embracing their respective playstyles.It's amazing how a high profile game is welcoming the speedrun community with open arms.

About your Mario 64 comparison: Indeed your memory seems fuzzy. i don't think the way you directly compare both is fair to 64 with the games been 20 years appart and the latest one uses it as the base.

Comparing things like the process to get a star, bosses and general variety of gameplay, leaves 64 not fairing as favorably as you remember. I.E.: Think about stuff like freeing the Chomp, "Blast trough the wall", Fighting the Bully, 8 red coins on top of Bowser Jigsaw or the star at the entrance of Hazy Maze Cave, im going by memory but some of them are rather simple tasks. i could be wrong, but doing a side by side of both games and Odyssey will probably match with 120 Moonshines that are of equivalent effort both in terms of design and challenge.

Another thing people don't notice about 64 often is, that while it features "persistent" stars available at any time during a level, taking a player away from the level after collecting 1 defeats to some degree that freedom. This design aspect makes more sense in a Galaxy type Mario game. This means that a player in 64 is traversing the same space multiple times to get stars that in reality aren't that far from each other. Take this fact into consideration and picture 64 letting players on the map after collecting 1 star, how the game would feel then?

Now moving to specific points marked in your post:

*1. In Odyssey, main levels lead players with a clear goal. Towards it, the player is presented with stage ginmicks, possesion mechanics and challenges structured around these elements. While the path to this goal is surrounded with Moonshines that are not so out of the way in a quantities near the amount to power up the Odyssey.

This is how a game with these open levels keep the rythm of it's pacing. But freedom is always there, if you so desire go nuts exploring. It also has the extra advantage that if the game is "too easy" this speeds up the process to get to the more interesting parts within a particular level or an specific level.

*2 Bland Levels: What you describe is the case with a lot of games. Quality, creativity, polish, etc varies between them.

You did make a subjective statement when claiming the "futuristic" graphic style wasn't of your liking. Anyways, i think the game reached a good compromise in it's level pallete. It features traditional themes while adding new ones like Mount Volvano, Boneton, Lost Kingdom, etc. Some people will complain no matter what, i distinclty remember the reaction to Delfino being themed around a Tropical setting and "how out of place" felt for a Mario game.

Some levels do feel unercoocked with being too simple and small or it's interesting theme not taking advantage of: See "The Ruined Kingdom".

It's not overwhelming, in fact the opposite. I play almost all of Nintendo's games and when I play this to me it feels more like a Kirby or Yoshi 64 style of game, where the emphasis is shifted off the action.
I haven't seen any new gameplay mechanics here, just repeated ones. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this started life as a 3D Kirby game given the central hat mechanic.

I'm not really into directly comparing the central mechanics of 64 to this game as last time I played 64 it didn't hold up. What I'm talking about is the feeling of the game. Almost every Mario game up until this point has given me what I want, which is a sense of fun provided by running fast, stomping on enemies, and timing jumps -- here, those challenges are all reduced massively (until the later levels) and the emphasis has been placed on collecting -- something that always feels like filler to me, something you would do for fun after the main quest has subsided.

You misunderstood what I said about the futuristic graphic style, I like the graphic style, what I don't like it that the best levels all have the same style. There's nothing new graphically there.

My main problem is the lack of imagination. Sure, throw in the usual unimaginative levels: snow, water etc, but when giving us new levels Nintendo has mainly fallen back on realism or given us levels riffing on other games (GTA, DS, Sonic). If those titles were actually being referenced directly, like Mario was mucking around in other titles gameworld's that could have been something special, but here those levels come off poorly, because they are nothing but superficial copies of those titles.

You're completely right some people will complain no matter what, but seeing as I've already said that I've loved all the Mario games up until this one, that doesn't apply here. This is just not what I want or expect from a Mario game. There's not enough innovation, graphical variety or pure gameplay compared to previous titles. It's extremely well produced and very playable but there just isn't enough platforming. Despite all my complaints I would still say this is a great game however, just not a great Mario game.

Alebelly

Just started playing this last night, it is wonderful, of course. I'm using the Pro controller because my hands just don't get along all that well with the joycons, and I won't be bothering with any motion gestures either, so hopefully that doesn't compromise my experience too much

Really wish the outfits provided some interesting perks, unless I'm missing something, this would have really been the icing on the cake for me.

tsab

Just started playing this last night, it is wonderful, of course. I'm using the Pro controller because my hands just don't get along all that well with the joycons, and I won't be bothering with any motion gestures either, so hopefully that doesn't compromise my experience too much

I found out that you can do the Spin Throw by doing a 360 circle with the left analogue and press Y.

Played almost exclusively with the joycon grip :)
The game is fine without motion controls, although you are missing the powerful homing throw which can actually save you a lot of the times.

Neverwas

Edit: Phew, my main save file is still there. Go to Options -> Data Management to swap save files. You can have multiple save files in one profile.

It does have multiple save slots. Just go into options - data management - load. Little bit convoluted, but it works.

Oh my god, awesome. Thanks guys! Now I just have to wait until 6pm so I can rush home and fix this.

ehead

For Mario's basic form swiming works like the 2D games, which i thought it was neat from a design perspective. It simplifies swiming for beginner players that tend to get disoriented with 6 DOF movement.

Oh yeah. that actually makes sense. I overlooked that. I'm just so used to swimming in 3D games where you can precisely control your position vertically under water.

Astral Dog

this game is genuinely one of the prettiest i have played on current gen i cant believe it :D

(thought it varies by worlds)
many of the "textures" are charming and detailed , mostly talking about the shiveria town and beach world, with a smooth framerate too.

obviously considering the hardware, image quality takes a hit on handheld and docked mode for example, though im fine on my 720p tv. its a BIG improvment from 3D World though, i wonder what happened with that game

Tadaima

It's not overwhelming, in fact the opposite. I play almost all of Nintendo's games and when I play this to me it feels more like a Kirby or Yoshi 64 style of game, where the emphasis is shifted off the action.
I haven't seen any new gameplay mechanics here, just repeated ones. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this started life as a 3D Kirby game given the central hat mechanic.

I'm not really into directly comparing the central mechanics of 64 to this game as last time I played 64 it didn't hold up. What I'm talking about is the feeling of the game. Almost every Mario game up until this point has given me what I want, which is a sense of fun provided by running fast, stomping on enemies, and timing jumps -- here, those challenges are all reduced massively (until the later levels) and the emphasis has been placed on collecting -- something that always feels like filler to me, something you would do for fun after the main quest has subsided.

You misunderstood what I said about the futuristic graphic style, I like the graphic style, what I don't like it that the best levels all have the same style. There's nothing new graphically there.

My main problem is the lack of imagination. Sure, throw in the usual unimaginative levels: snow, water etc, but when giving us new levels Nintendo has mainly fallen back on realism or given us levels riffing on other games (GTA, DS, Sonic). If those titles were actually being referenced directly, like Mario was mucking around in other titles gameworld's that could have been something special, but here those levels come off poorly, because they are nothing but superficial copies of those titles.

You're completely right some people will complain no matter what, but seeing as I've already said that I've loved all the Mario games up until this one, that doesn't apply here. This is just not what I want or expect from a Mario game. There's not enough innovation, graphical variety or pure gameplay compared to previous titles. It's extremely well produced and very playable but there just isn't enough platforming. Despite all my complaints I would still say this is a great game however, just not a great Mario game.

I am basically in agreement with you.

I would summarise Odyssey as a fantastic Banjo-Kazooie game (collecting, transforming, and exploring – with Mario elements at the foundation), but a rather weak Mario game.

I didn't mind what Odyssey turned out to be, but I have been craving some tight 3d platforming of a progressive difficulty for some time now and was hoping it would be delivered in the sandbox format.

After 600+ moons, I am still seeking a collection of well-designed platforming challenges.

I understand that such challenges are difficult to design in sandboxes, but Mario 64 (which I revisited recently) did a very good job of testing your skill in (mostly) a fair way, especially in the latter half of the game. When Odyssey presents you with a meaty challenge, it more often than not does so unfairly, such as by substantially cranking up the difficulty level or by throwing in an element of chance.

I would not consider myself to be an "expert" player (
Darkest Side of the Moon is too much for me
), but definitely one that gets satisfaction out of visibly improving skills in order to overcoming a well-designed challenge.

As much as I adored Odyssey for its themes and variety of gameplay, I am left a bit underwhelmed in some ways, and bemused that I may have to revisit Galaxy 1/2 or even 3D World in order to get my fix.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This is my first Mario game since nsmb on the ds and I'm loving it.The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is really fun and the story is fun, bowsers rabbit henchmen give me the creeps though

Playing this game is like being transported back in time to my youth.

majik13

Loving the game. But whats up with the shitty first person camera motion controls?

I cant seem to find any mention of this issue on google, and have been sort of avoiding this thread while I play the game. Sorry if this has been discussed already.

I think its maybe only when playing in HH mode(most time played that way)Sometime its reversed, tilt the screen up, and the image goes down, and vice versa. Or most of the time I tilt up, image goes down, and then during same tilt it will stop and then it will now start moving the opposite but correct direction, even though Im still tilting the same way. Other times it kinda works. Its as if it has a very small angle that it works then it hits an angle limit, like only 15 degrees then switches directions on its own.. super frustrating. And if I am titled to high up or down, even hitting the sticks down wont do anything. So there is no real way to easily fix the camera to look forward again even with the sticks. Makes it extremely hard to aim with the tank enemy. Constantly fighting the motion controls, either non repressive, changing direction on its own, etc.

Zelda on 3DS and Zelda on Switch were done perfectly fine with these motion control camera, not sure why they needed to change it or is it a bug?

Mensrea

I think that the way this game handles nostalgia is piss poor. Throwback Galaxy in Galaxy 2 was better than the entirety of the mushroom kingdom.

Just feels lazy.

Going to post some thoughts I made else where. The game is great but not greatest all time to me and so far one of the weaker 3D marios.

This game has plenty of problems and I am far more confused at this games massive praise than Zelda. As much as I don't agree with Zelda's score I can understand why it got it. But Odyssey? Does it really do anything better than Galaxy outside just be exploration based over level based? Does that mean people just want to explore big worlds and it doesn't matter if there are well designed challenges or not?

I'm going to take one world from galaxy, toy time

https://youtu.be/zCXSSFbYWLo

Look at that, look at how every area of this game is filled with jumping, with obstacles, with platforming challenges to over come. Look at the design of these levels! I wish there was something as cool as running across a gigantic 2D mario with flipping panels which you then have to run back to the start avoiding all the pits you made. And that's the regular version without the hard mode.

Then take Odyssey where levels are spacious and filled with things to look for but it's like a casual stroll. Yes the gameplay is varied, there are great ideas in many of them but the objectives are so simple. Tons and tons of moons are rewarded for the most braindead of tasks like: butt stomping a clearly glowing spot, changing into a costume, talking to a NPC, grabbing a rabbit, putting a seed into a pot, reaching a moon high up by using an ability. The boring mindless task moons vastly outnumber the moons hidden behind a good platforming sequence, a boss fight or one of those door levels which are the closest thing we have to galaxy like levels. And even when you do get a side mission pure platforming level they are shorter and easier than stuff in galaxy (which is not a hard game either)

I understand exploring is a reward of its own but why are we so accepting that this is as good as the exploring can be? Why is this 10 10 10 the best ever when I can easily see so many better ways to create objectives for the player. A moon should never just be there for the taking. These levels don't have to be so devoid of challenge. You can combine exploration and good interesting platforming challenges so precise clever platforming becomes the majority of the gameplay, not running around hoping to find a moon in a crate. Why aren't the post moons actually interesting, the levels should get harder, like a dark side version of them with loads of new obstacles to get around rather than simple stuff like put a moon on a tree, or in a hill...

So it's the same issue I had with zelda, the game is too big and filled with mundane tasks rather than the focused well designed sections of games past. I much rather have 120 stars to collect that always have a fun interesting level to go through than 800 moons where over 50% of it feels like busy work. It's fun busy work, can't fault the gameplay it's phenomenal but these levels can have way better objectives.

Going to post some thoughts I made else where. The game is great but not greatest all time to me and so far one of the weaker 3D marios.

This game has plenty of problems and I am far more confused at this games massive praise than Zelda. As much as I don't agree with Zelda's score I can understand why it got it. But Odyssey? Does it really do anything better than Galaxy outside just be exploration based over level based? Does that mean people just want to explore big worlds and it doesn't matter if there are well designed challenges or not?

I'm going to take one world from galaxy, toy time

https://youtu.be/zCXSSFbYWLo

Look at that, look at how every area of this game is filled with jumping, with obstacles, with platforming challenges to over come. Look at the design of these levels! I wish there was something as cool as running across a gigantic 2D mario with flipping panels which you then have to run back to the start avoiding all the pits you made. And that's the regular version without the hard mode.

Then take Odyssey where levels are spacious and filled with things to look for but it's like a casual stroll. Yes the gameplay is varied, there are great ideas in many of them but the objectives are so simple. Tons and tons of moons are rewarded for the most braindead of tasks like: butt stomping a clearly glowing spot, changing into a costume, talking to a NPC, grabbing a rabbit, putting a seed into a pot, reaching a moon high up by using an ability. The boring mindless task moons vastly outnumber the moons hidden behind a good platforming sequence, a boss fight or one of those door levels which are the closest thing we have to galaxy like levels. And even when you do get a side mission pure platforming level they are shorter and easier than stuff in galaxy (which is not a hard game either)

I understand exploring is a reward of its own but why are we so accepting that this is as good as the exploring can be? Why is this 10 10 10 the best ever when I can easily see so many better ways to create objectives for the player. A moon should never just be there for the taking. These levels don't have to be so devoid of challenge. You can combine exploration and good interesting platforming challenges so precise clever platforming becomes the majority of the gameplay, not running around hoping to find a moon in a crate. Why aren't the post moons actually interesting, the levels should get harder, like a dark side version of them with loads of new obstacles to get around rather than simple stuff like put a moon on a tree, or in a hill...

So it's the same issue I had with zelda, the game is too big and filled with mundane tasks rather than the focused well designed sections of games past. I much rather have 120 stars to collect that always have a fun interesting level to go through than 800 moons where over 50% of it feels like busy work. It's fun busy work, can't fault the gameplay it's phenomenal but these levels can have way better objectives.

You have to stop thinking of the moons as rewards and more as incentives to explore. The feeling of reward and accomplishment wears off quickly, especially after collecting hundreds of them. Sure, some of them are harder to get (and therefore more rewarding) than others but this is a sandbox Mario game and it's about the journey, not the destination.

kunonabi

You have to stop thinking of the moons as rewards and more as incentives to explore. The feeling of reward and accomplishment wears off quickly, especially after collecting hundreds of them. Sure, some of them are harder to get (and therefore more rewarding) than others but this is a sandbox Mario game and it's about the journey, not the destination.

That rationalization doesnt really work if the journey is mindless busy work.

Right and a lot of the time the journey is fun but a lot of the time it also feels like it's busy mindless stuff. I guess the best way to describe this game is uneven. Where I feel games like galaxy was a constant stream of greatness, this game has them in bursts. The open world doesn't bother me it's that I wish there were more what I consider to be more platforming challenges built into the world rather than a lot of the more just walk around find stuff variety.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I think that the way this game handles nostalgia is piss poor. Throwback Galaxy in Galaxy 2 was better than the entirety of the mushroom kingdom.

Just feels lazy.

LOL. I found the world through the painting shortcut before beating it and loved it. I really don't get the mentality of hating just about everything that goes on these days. Lazy? As if that were the only nostalgi in the game and didn't also serve as a hub for harder versions of some of the boss fights.

I'll chime in as another who isn't overly keen on this new mario. I'm a 40 year old gamer who has played every mario since the first one on the nes and pretty much loved them all. For me there is something slightly amiss in the latest outing.

It's probably just the direction they took. Like others have said, all the other ones had a sense of direction, clear goals etc. This does feel like a collect a thon. In no way am I saying it's a bad game. It's a solid 8 or 8.5 from me but personally, it's no where near the standards set by galaxy 1 or 2. It's also not as good as mario 64 was at the time.

I think some of us prefer the Mario games like they used to be. A level loads up with a clear level goal, complete that objective for star etc and start again. Different stars may alter the level somewhat but you get the idea.

This for the most part just feels like run around, stumble upon a moon, stumble around some more, oh look, another one. Rinse and repeat until you have enough to move to the next world. Granted, I'm only about 80 odd moons into it and it may be there better but I'm just not feeling it like I thought I would.

Not related I know, but I felt the same way about botw. An open world which is great, but barely any direction. It was just walk around to find shrines then when you were bored of that, tackle the four main areas. Like with mario, I preferred my Zelda with a sense of direction like in twilight princess, or ocarina etc.

Maybe it's an age thing, maybe all games are going in this direction slowly. I just feel that some games, are better off sticking with what works.

I'll chime in as another who isn't overly keen on this new mario. I'm a 40 year old gamer who has played every mario since the first one on the nes and pretty much loved them all. For me there is something slightly amiss in the latest outing.

It's probably just the direction they took. Like others have said, all the other ones had a sense of direction, clear goals etc. This does feel like a collect a thon. In no way am I saying it's a bad game. It's a solid 8 or 8.5 from me but personally, it's no where near the standards set by galaxy 1 or 2. It's also not as good as mario 64 was at the time.

I think some of us prefer the Mario games like they used to be. A level loads up with a clear level goal, complete that objective for star etc and start again. Different stars may alter the level somewhat but you get the idea.

This for the most part just feels like run around, stumble upon a moon, stumble around some more, oh look, another one. Rinse and repeat until you have enough to move to the next world. Granted, I'm only about 80 odd moons into it and it may be there better but I'm just not feeling it like I thought I would.

Not related I know, but I felt the same way about botw. An open world which is great, but barely any direction. It was just walk around to find shrines then when you were bored of that, tackle the four main areas. Like with mario, I preferred my Zelda with a sense of direction like in twilight princess, or ocarina etc.
Already commented various times in the thread about this, even in this same page post #1003:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=252947241

*1. In Odyssey, main levels lead players with a clear goal. Towards it, the player is presented with stage ginmicks, possesion mechanics and challenges structured around these elements. While the path to this goal is surrounded with Moonshines that are not so out of the way in a quantities near the amount to power up the Odyssey to reach the next level.

Odyssey has the more structured type stars seen in 64. They don't reach the intrincate design and creativity seen in the Galaxy sub series but neither 64 or Sunshine do, yet lot's of people have no problem considering either of those the "best 3D Mario" when by these measure the Galaxies should take that honor easily.

This is why i said the game is "overwhelming" some people. i didn't say it as an insult, it just means that they are not properly processing the inner workings of the game for whatever reasons.

Coffinhal

I'm not much a fan of 3D platformers (although I loved Galaxy1/2) but this one is something else. I just finished the Sand kingdom and I love how the world changes and you're always finding new things with fun. You're rewarded with your sense of exploration and vision. The flow is good once you've mastered the basics.

And the Jaxi is just so much fun !

zeioIIDX

Post-game stuff: Finally just beat
Darker Side
and holy fuck...my nerves are so shot. It took me a good 30-40 runs probably (maybe a bit more)...before I could even reach the final two portions of the area. I'm sitting at 526 moons now and still feel like visiting each kingdom in order to locate stuff I've missed and finish buying up crap for my ship.

It's interesting and rewarding to see my progress and stuff change as I went through that area. I started off dying so many times in the first couple areas and I'd eventually progress one or two areas ahead. And each time I'd start back at the beginning, I'd nonchalantly speed my way through those previously tough areas that used to give me trouble. I'd find shortcuts and figure out strategies and it was definitely the challenge I needed which was lacking from the main game (not that I'm complaining though).

Overall, I love this game and I really have to say I am really glad that Nintendo added a two-player mode because it'll make it easier for my 8 year old daughter to play when I can help her at any time by controlling Cappy. The assist mode in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is another thing that helped her tremendously and gave her a lot of confidence in racing to the point where she actually stopped using the assist mode and whooped my ass a few times, much to my damn surprise lol. I like that Nintendo offers these options.

MyNameIsRamo

Neo Member
Anyone else getting as much fun out of post game as I am?

I'm at 352 moons trying to get to 500 for the next stage, the dark side boss fights were pretty annoying but it was worth it for the King outfit

This game is really impressing me, the controls are super tight and I didn't think I'd be playing it as much in Handheld as I have!

Hopefully a DLC announcement during the winter direct

I'm unsure of why someone would buy multiple moons from the shop, I can't see what they do if they don't technically clear moons you need to find. It's confusing.

I bought multiple moons from the shop because it was the quickest way to reach 500. I didn't want any spoilers so I wanted to unlock everything as fast as possible. I think I bought almost 200 of them. I regret it though, because it really cheapens the value of a power moon. It screws with the reward system in place and I wish you couldn't just buy them like that. It felt like a cheat code and being able to purchase them was a really weird design decision. I can understand just being able to buy 1 at every shop in the game, that made sense to me. Although I don't think you could buy multiple moons until you beat the game, it still changed the end game. It's one of my only disappointments with Odyssey. Of course, I did it to myself, but that fact it's available is crappy.

This game has been on my mind since I played it back at E3 so I picked it up on launch day (along with that slick Mario amiibo), beat the story and now I'm trying to complete it. It's so much fun and so far it's probably my 2nd favorite game this year (behind Breath of the Wild).

3) Lots of NPC's.

5) The worlds are a lot less abstract than most Mario games.

6) The purple coins are similar to musical notes in terms of how they're hidden.
Absolutely some strong similarities. I think it pretty much takes the best mechanics from both Banjo and Mario 64/Sunshine, mashes those bad boys up and makes one of the greatest games of all time.

Dvidus

Can I just make 2 contradicting statements?

1. Mario Odyssey has an unusual level design which makes it feel awkward at times. Metro Kingdom is its biggest example for this.

2. Metro Kingdom is one of the best designed mario levels of the 3d mario's.

Top Bottom